Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2006, 09:31 PM   #301
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Don Cherry looks like he's strapped into this suit he's wearing. It's even funnier than the Ozolinsh goal (which cracked me up bigtime).
Old 04-24-2006, 09:36 PM   #302
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Is it just me, or do the playoffs of hockey out-rival the big three other sports? The passion, intensity, and on-the-edge action is exciting as hell.
I agree with you. The NFL playoffs are close, but for every Pittsburgh-Indianapolis rollercoaster, there's a Carolina-Seattle honker. In the NHL playoffs, even a game like tonight's Flyers-Sabres game can bring some excitement. I only saw part of Robert Esche's meltdown, but it looks like a classic.

The NBA and MLB playoffs, in my opinion, don't even come close. Unless it's a big rivalry (like Yankees-Red Sox) or if my favorite team is playing, I can't get that excited about playoff games in those leagues. Sure, they're interesting to watch, but they're not like watching the NHL.

I hadn't realized how much I missed the NHL playoffs until now. I'm so glad to have this back, and we still have several weeks of it to go.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #303
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have to say the MLB Playoffs are my fav (no matter who is playing), but NHL is close.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #304
JeeberD
General Manager

Dude, it's all about the NFL playoffs...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:39 PM   #305
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
oh my, has there ever been 3 fluke goals like that right in a row? that's just crazy.

we'll take em!

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-24-2006 at 09:39 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #306
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Maybe DD, didn't want OLN to change over to the Stars-Avs game, eh?

That's what you get for whining!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #307
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Here's are the possibilities for Dallas:

1. God is on our side
2. Someone sold their soul to the devil

I sure hope #1 is the reason, because I can't get my soul back.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:56 PM   #308
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Here's are the possibilities for Dallas:

1. God is on our side
2. Someone sold their soul to the devil

I sure hope #1 is the reason, because I can't get my soul back.

3. 2nd period. They own them this year (except Sat).

who is this idiot analyst? not only is he screwing up all the names of the players, but he was adamant that the Modano goal would stand, since he never even touched it with his skate. This is while all of us sitting at home can see it clearly bounce of his skate. Then someone must have tapped him on the shoulder or something, because suddenly he was like "oh, now that we see this in slow motion...great job in the booth guys". sheesh. clearly a goal, but Ray Charles could see that hit Modano's skate.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #309
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
3. 2nd period. They own them this year (except Sat).

who is this idiot analyst? not only is he screwing up all the names of the players, but he was adamant that the Modano goal would stand, since he never even touched it with his skate. This is while all of us sitting at home can see it clearly bounce of his skate. Then someone must have tapped him on the shoulder or something, because suddenly he was like "oh, now that we see this in slow motion...great job in the booth guys". sheesh. clearly a goal, but Ray Charles could see that hit Modano's skate.

i get my local guys. it's nice...i missed them.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #310
JeeberD
General Manager

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Old 04-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #311
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

5 on 3 for ya Jeebs.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #312
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #313
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

PS Neil Smith is a fucking idiot
Old 04-24-2006, 10:58 PM   #314
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

OT.

6 am is going to come awfully early tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 PM   #315
Booj
High School JV

What a game that Carolina-Montreal game was... I went from jubliation (up 3-0 after 1) to fear (3-2 after 2) to frickin heartbreak (4-3 Carolina less than 2 minutes into the 3rd) to relief (4-4) to jubilation again (5-4 Habs) to heartbreak again (5-5 with 1:30 to go) to excitement (3 PP's in OT) to fear (Carolina PP in OT) to jubilation (OT winner 2:30 into the 2nd overtime)

I was worried I wouldn't be alive to go to game three in Montreal on Wednesday night.

Crazy... Oh, and Kovalev in the playoffs is the best player I have ever seen in a Canadiens uniform. [edit: please note I am 20 years old...]

Last edited by Booj : 04-24-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #316
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
OT.

6 am is going to come awfully early tomorrow.

I predict quadruple ovetime...

Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #317
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj
Crazy... Oh, and Kovalev in the playoffs is the best player I have ever seen in a Canadiens uniform. [edit: please note I am 20 years old...]

8-0 right?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #318
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I predict quadruple ovetime...

in that case, I predict a flu.

night all...going to watch the rest upstairs.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #319
Booj
High School JV

Quote:
8-0 right?

It's funny... it's almost like he's trying to keep that streak going... Two years ago when they were down in the series 3-1 to Boston, he told the team 'I've never lost a first round series, I'm not going to start now.'

He has been ALL over the ice, and that goal he scored to make it 4-4 was as pretty a shot that you'll ever see.... he had a hole the size of the puck and he fired it right in it.

I hope they can keep it going and that they can at least split in Montreal and, if they move on to the second round they will face either Ottawa or Buffalo/Philadelphia... they are 100% assured of missing New Jersey in the second round... THAT is very, very nice.

And, who woulda thunkit that BOTH Theodore and Montreal are up 2-0 in their series'...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #320
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

bah.

ah well. it was a damn fine game. well worth the price of admission.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:13 PM   #321
JeeberD
General Manager

Well son of a bitch...

Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #322
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Dude, it's all about the NFL playoffs...

I never get excited over the NFL playoffs. They feel like regular season games, even the Super Bowl.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #323
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I never get excited over the NFL playoffs. They feel like regular season games, even the Super Bowl.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:59 PM   #324
DiG
n00b

Quote:
What a game that Carolina-Montreal game was... I went from jubliation (up 3-0 after 1) to fear (3-2 after 2) to frickin heartbreak (4-3 Carolina less than 2 minutes into the 3rd) to relief (4-4) to jubilation again (5-4 Habs) to heartbreak again (5-5 with 1:30 to go) to excitement (3 PP's in OT) to fear (Carolina PP in OT) to jubilation (OT winner 2:30 into the 2nd overtime)

I was worried I wouldn't be alive to go to game three in Montreal on Wednesday night.

Hmph, I'd go for St-Patrick, but that's probably from watching the VHS of the '93 series over and over again all through elementery school (good times).

Anyway, it's not like I've seen Kovalev played these series since I'm in my finals, in a very stressed state, and parts of what I'm studying are the adverse effects that the added stress of something like a double OT could have on my fragile little body (actually, I can't understand how people go through that kind of stress).

And now, since we're winning against a team I didn't think we matched up well against AT ALL, I'm starting to believe myself. Add to that that I'm already booked to go to Europe during the Stanley Cup Finals, it's probably a lock that the Habs will win it all while I can celebrate a cup in Montreal like I've been dreaming of since I realized what I missed because of my age (I was 8 in '93 and wasn't allowed to watch the game until the end).

I'd take it still...
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #325
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #326
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

some thoughts:

1) I really feel badly for Turco. I've always liked him, and I hate that he's got this bad playoff rep that doesn't seem to be going away soon. It's a bit unfair. But, he's now 1-5 in playoff OT, and has allowed 3+ goals in each of his last 8 games, a stretch where Dallas is 1-7. Granted, 7 of those games were against the Avs, and in most of the games, Dallas has been outworked and outplayed. But he's the one who they will be pointing fingers at if they take an early exit.

2) And that's no guarantee. I really like this Colorado team. The biggest thing they lack is that killer instinct. Their modus operendi all year is to come out hard (I think they are the highest scoring team in hockey in the 1st period) and then try to hang on to a lead. Several times this year, they had commanding leads only to disappear.

3) That was only Colorado's 3rd win of the season when they were losing after two.

4) Brett Clark and Karlis Skraskins are two of the most underrated players in the NHL. Skraskins is the current NHL iron man, which is amazing considering he is second in the league in blocked shots. I believe both are free agents this offseason, and I will be really bummed if either leave.

5) SEVEN penalties in the third period. Dumb penalties. Like Tanguay getting a tripping penalty and then coming out of the box and getting another one before he's even made it to the bench. They so did not deserve to win that one.

7) I cringe everytime I hear the word "Brisebois" mentioned. maybe because it's usually tied to phrases like "failed to clear", "doesn't pick up the man in front of the net" or "he fails to keep it in the zone".

8) My biggest concern, hands down: Jose Theodore has not looked very good. Yes, they were fluke goals tonight and the 2 goals in game 1 were more the result of defensive breakdowns (see #7). He just has not looked like he was in command, and hasn't at any point looked like a guy who is going to steal a game or two for the Avs.

9) When I saw Sakic with the puck, skating around two Dallas players in the neutral zone, I new the play was going to end up as a goal. Sakic becomes the all-time leader in playoff OT goals.

10) OLN coverage was dreadful at times. Colorado had two key penalties late in the 3rd, and OLN didn't replay either of them. First there was the Hinote interference on Turco, and all we know from the esteemed Neil Smith is that Turco was "spread eagle" after. I know that goalies never embellish interference calls, but it still would have been great to see that one just to be sure. Then Blake's delay of game with under 2 minutes left. Easily the most important moment in the game, and disputed by everyone on the Avs bench. No replay. Dallas took a timeout there, so I figured they would use that time to look at the play again. Nope. I hate OLN.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #327
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Dear Carolina...

Remember the half-assed effort at the end of the year, including mailing in those two games against the Lightning that helped keep the Leafs out of the playoffs? Remember how you shrugged off losing the conference title by one point, because after all it didn't really matter what seed you were?

Nice job there.

Signed,
Canada
Old 04-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #328
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Actually I think most of Canada is laughing at the Leafs just as much as the next guy .
Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #329
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I knew the puck was going in because it was a shot in Turco in a overtime playoff game. That monkey on Turco's back just grew by 50 lbs.

Theodore needs to step it up if he wants to take the Avs anywhere. He looks very average.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #330
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Actually I think most of Canada is laughing at the Leafs just as much as the next guy .

Yeah, thats kind of like saying most Americans would be pissed if the Yankees missed the playoffs. Doubtful.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #331
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Philly... HAHAHAHAHA

I loved Mr 'Cock's postgame press conference...

reporter: "I thought you said there would be no retailiation"

Mr 'Cock: "Uhh, we're all disappointed in our effort. It's my responsibility to get the team ready."

reporters look on as he nowhere near answered the question regarding his team's thuggery...

Mr 'Cock: "This is over, I'm done."

HAHAHAHAHAHA I'd be surprised to see this series return to Buffalo.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #332
Booj
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Theodore needs to step it up if he wants to take the Avs anywhere. He looks very average.

Welcome to the first four months of the Canadiens' season...

And, I am LOVING the fact that the Leafs and Canucks are out of the playoffs... it means that CBC doesn't need to have five play-by-play guys (four is stretching them kind of thin, especially sans Cuthbert) *and* it means that TSN actually can talk about the other teams. (I also love that Montreal is the only Canadian team who plays on Sat-Mon-Wed so that they are the lead story on TSN the next day...)

Oh, and Roy *was* good... I forgot about him... how about we say best non-goalie.. that covers all bases...
Old 04-25-2006, 09:53 AM   #333
DiG
n00b

Quote:
Oh, and Roy *was* good... I forgot about him... how about we say best non-goalie.. that covers all bases...

No contest (unfortunately)...Looking at the rosters of the last few years before Kovalev is pretty depressing actually.
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #334
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Do we really want to dredge up the No-goal goal again?

They are STILL whining about it in Buffalo.

And Toronto fans are still whining about how Ballard screwed up the franchise 30 years ago.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #335
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Replay on the Wings cast shows it going off of Maltbys shaft

Maltby is now out 2-4 weeks with a bruised shaft.

Last edited by Oilers9911 : 04-25-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #336
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911
And Toronto fans are still whining about how Ballard screwed up the franchise 30 years ago.
We waited a full week and seven pages for that comeback?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #337
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911

Not true!

We are still bitching about the Kerry Fraser screw up in 93.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #338
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

Hehe.

ML, you're the only good thing about the Leafs in my book.

Edit: bbor is the only good thing about Taco Bell.

Last edited by klayman : 04-25-2006 at 05:42 PM.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #339
kingfc22
Head Coach

The Royal Rumble is taking place in Tampa right now.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #340
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Marc Crawford is gone. Pat Quinn is one of the rumored possibilities. ha ha.,
Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incidentally, OLN is back on Dish Network as of last night ... meaning that I'm able to see the whoopin' Ottawa is putting on the Bolts.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #342
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Marc Crawford is gone. Pat Quinn is one of the rumored possibilities. ha ha.,

I'd take Quinn over Crawford any day.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #343
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I'd take Quinn over Crawford any day.

I don't like either of them
Old 04-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #344
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I don't like either of them

Yeah it was kind of a 'lesser of two evils' proposition; I'd tend to give Quinn the benefit of the doubt; I can't imagine how crazy it must be to coach the Leafs.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #345
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think the whole Tampa lockerroom ought to consider lining up and slapping the shit out of Dingman.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #346
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I think the whole Tampa lockerroom ought to consider lining up and slapping the shit out of Dingman.

This post reads rather disturbingly.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #347
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
This post reads rather disturbingly.

If I had suffered through 7 minutes short-handed because of that idiot I'd probably be past "disturbed".

Disclaimer: I have zero rooting interest in the game, and don't dislike either of the teams more than I dislike the other one. But watching that talentless hack take such a stupid penalty (and especially when his team wasn't really out of the game) was one of the dumber things I've seen in a while.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 PM   #348
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

What's disturbing is the Red Wings play so far
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #349
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Well now that's a little better...
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #350
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

My apologies for not sitting on my computer with baited breath so that I can respond to every post within 8 seconds. At least bbor had a sense of humour about my post.