Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #401
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't have to get up for about 7 hours so I can deal with a good 90 minutes or so of playoff OT hockey

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-26-2006 at 11:15 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #402
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't get why they think that's offsides. he got back, right?

what exactly was Modano doing on that play? he looked like he was trying to break out the other way. oops!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #403
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
because his entire team left him with two guys on the doorstep?

Even when Turco is playing well, he always looks to me like he has no idea what's going on. I agree that goal wasn't particularly his fault, but man, is he developing a reputation as a choker or what.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #404
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

it used to be that broadcasters were contractually obligated to bring up Chris Drury's Little Leage World Series when the Avs were in the playoffs. Now that's changed to the Andrew Brunette was the last guy to score on Patrick Roy story. YAY!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #405
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Even when Turco is playing well, he always looks to me like he has no idea what's going on. I agree that goal wasn't particularly his fault, but man, is he developing a reputation as a choker or what.

and Theodore looks 10,000 times worse than Turco tonight. He looks like he's never played in net before.

The stickhandling is embarrassingly bad. I can't recall seeing something so laughable. It's amazing to me that Dallas hasn't been able to capitalize on that more.

Dallas has taken some stupid, stupid penalties, and, honestly are lucky they didn't get a couple more (Ott, this means you sweetheart).
Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #406
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Um... wow

Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 PM   #407
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

you said a mouthful. it's going to take him a career to recover, i'm thinking.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 PM   #408
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
and Theodore looks 10,000 times worse than Turco tonight. He looks like he's never played in net before.

The stickhandling is embarrassingly bad. I can't recall seeing something so laughable. It's amazing to me that Dallas hasn't been able to capitalize on that more.

Dallas has taken some stupid, stupid penalties, and, honestly are lucky they didn't get a couple more (Ott, this means you sweetheart).

Yeah, this series will come down to which team has the least shaky goalie. Did Theodore have a new stick or something tonight?

knives out
Old 04-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #409
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

well, that was fun.

no sour grapes here, DD, but you guys are in serious trouble in the next round if Theo doesn't get it together. the D is doing all it can, but he's giving up some crap.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #410
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
no sour grapes here, DD, but you guys are in serious trouble in the next round if Theo doesn't get it together. the D is doing all it can, but he's giving up some crap.

you aren't telling me anything I don't know.

I don't expect Colorado to go deep, but I'm enjoying the hell out this series, I can tell you that much.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #411
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
1) I really feel badly for Turco. I've always liked him, and I hate that he's got this bad playoff rep that doesn't seem to be going away soon. It's a bit unfair. But, he's now 1-5 in playoff OT, and has allowed 3+ goals in each of his last 8 games, a stretch where Dallas is 1-7. Granted, 7 of those games were against the Avs, and in most of the games, Dallas has been outworked and outplayed. But he's the one who they will be pointing fingers at if they take an early exit.

*scribble scribble*
1-6 in OT now, 3+ goals in 9 straight, Dallas is 1-8 in their last nine playoff games, dropping 7 of 8 to Colorado.

and, honestly, they kept saying this was Dallas' best game tonight, but frankly I still don't see the effort.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #412
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Pumpy - see you in a few hours!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:50 AM   #413
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Ugh. I have to wake up in 6 hours, but I'm dying to watch some overtime. What to do, what to do...

Comments like this baffle me. Am I the only guy around here who is regularly operating on 5 hours or less of sleep every weekday?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:50 AM   #414
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

oh, and how bout them Rangers?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #415
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Comments like this baffle me. Am I the only guy around here who is regularly operating on 5 hours or less of sleep every weekday?

and the threadjack attempt is kicked away easily by the goaltender and cleared. he's going to need to wait for more traffic in the front of the net for a shot like that to work.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #416
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I went to the bathroom sometime before overtime started. I don't think I was in there that long, but by the time I had come out, the game was over. I had to turn on ESPNews to see who had won. I still don't know how quickly into overtime Tanguay scored the winner. I'll look it up now. Nobody tell me!

Edit: 69 seconds. Yeah, I really wasn't in the bathroom for very long, and I missed overtime. Grr.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 04-27-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:02 AM   #417
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
oh, and how bout them Rangers?

Old 04-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #418
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Some things never change. Just like the last 7 seasons, the Rangers stopped playing after 82 games.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #419
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I went to the bathroom sometime before overtime started. I don't think I was in there that long, but by the time I had come out, the game was over. I had to turn on ESPNews to see who had won. I still don't know how quickly into overtime Tanguay scored the winner. I'll look it up now. Nobody tell me!

Edit: 69 seconds. Yeah, I really wasn't in the bathroom for very long, and I missed overtime. Grr.

I was still posting here, with the annoying intermission chatter in the background. I had forgotten I was still a couple minutes behind on the Tivo...I saw SI's post, and realized it was over already.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #420
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow...WTF is with Dallas?I figured them to be one of the favorites coming into the play-offs.They are shitting the bed hard.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #421
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Wow...WTF is with Dallas?I figured them to be one of the favorites coming into the play-offs.They are shitting the bed hard.

1st game - everyone played poorly
2nd game - played poorly, then improved. game went into overtime, and turco is in net.
3rd game - played even better. game went into overtime, and turco is in net.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #422
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some things never change. Just like the last 7 seasons, the Rangers stopped playing after 82 games.

LOL!!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #423
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

*rimshot*

knives out
Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #424
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Speaking of the Rangers, I feel it is time to bring this picture out again. After embarrassing himself with his injury in game 1 and his complete ineffectiveness in game 3, Rangers star Jaromir Jagr may just spend game 4 in street clothes:

Old 04-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #425
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Lots of bad feelings in Ottawa today after Don Cherry ripped into the Sens during last night's game.

Basic summary of his comments:

- Chara tried to embarass Lecavlier by staring him down while they were wrestling rather than looking away (like Larry Robinson used to do), leaving Vinny with no choice but to start throwing

- Criticized Chara for the non-punch at the end, saying something along the lines of "don't pose over him like you're some sort of hero"

- Very critical of Chris Neil, showed a clip of him threatening Burke earlier in the game and basically saying that if you threaten the other team's goalie then you have to answer the bell

- Called Neil "Terry the Turtle", which unfortunately seems to already be sticking.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #426
Johnny93g
College Starter

Wanted to post Pat Quinn's response to the firing. He is a very classy guy, and i will miss him a great deal. I think he is a excellent coach, and a even better person. Toronto will miss Pat Quinn

TORONTO (CP) - Pat Quinn met the media nearly every single day during his seven seasons in Toronto.

So on Thursday, he figured a statement instead of a news conference would be more appropriate in his first public comments exactly a week after his firing as head coach of the Maple Leafs.

"There have been a number of media requests for interviews over the past few days and I thought it best to respond in this way," Quinn began his statement. "The team is moving in a new direction, and my departure should not distract in any way from the challenge facing the team and the organization, so a press gathering would not assist that process right now.

"It is also a time for personal privacy."

Reached on the phone by The Canadian Press, Quinn said he had nothing to add. "I really don't want to comment any further," he said.

Quinn's statement recalled with fondness his seven seasons and eight years in Toronto, saying he was "genuinely optimistic every year, and believed we had teams that could advance and go a long way."

Quinn's Leafs had winning records all seven seasons he was behind the bench in Toronto. The 63-year-old has missed the playoffs only twice in his 19 years as an NHL head coach and is the fourth-winningest coach of all-time.

He also coached Canada to an Olympic gold medal in men's hockey in 2002.

Quinn went 300-222-52 with 26 shootout and overtime losses as Leafs coach, twice leading Toronto to the Eastern Conference final where the Leafs lost to Buffalo in 1998-99 and the Hurricanes in 2001-02.

"I leave now remembering especially that first season in 1998-99, also the spring of 2002 when we worked so hard to try and reach the finals, and the 2004 playoffs, when I felt in my heart we had something special here," he said.

Quinn was fired after missing the playoffs for the first and only time since taking over the Leafs in 1998.

"I believed in our group this past season, as well," said Quinn. "While we did not achieve what we needed to, this group worked to deal with various obstacles, and I am proud of their efforts - especially their work in recent weeks (finished on 9-1-2 run) when they overcame significant odds to almost attain a playoff berth after we dug a huge hole for ourselves."

Quinn thanked former Leaf executives Mike Smith, Ken Dryden and Bill Watters as well as current front office members Mike Penny, Barry Trapp and Paul Dennis, as well as his assistant coaches Keith Acton and Rick Ley.

He also thanked Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of the board at Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment, and former Leafs owner Steve Stavro who died earlier this week at the age of 78.

"I would particularly like to express my high regard for Steve Stavro, who passed away over the weekend," said Quinn. "Steve was a generous, caring individual, a genuine family man who had a passion for sports and the Maple Leafs."

Quinn said there were too many players to thank by name, but singled out the three Leafs who were there from the beginning with him: Mats Sundin, Tie Domi and Tomas Kaberle.

"Mats was our great leader, Tie played with so much heart, and Tomas has developed into an outstanding all-around player," said Quinn.

"There is no game without the players, and no victories for a team or its coach without loyal and talented individuals on the management, coaching and support staffs," added Quinn.

Calling it the "best hockey city in the world," Quinn credited Canada's largest city for a great ride.

"The fans are knowledgeable and passionate," he said. "The media follows the team so closely, and while a little overzealous for my liking at times, help make playing, coaching and working here a stimulating environment daily."

And he's not done coaching.

"My passion for the game, for coaching, is as strong as ever," he said.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164071&hubname=
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #427
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Woohoo! Red Wings up 2-1 at the end of the first! Let's hope it lasts
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:01 AM   #428
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

O'Donnell!

Ducks take an absolutely critical game for them (although we should have nutted up and won this one in regulation).

I don't think either team is likely to win two games in a row easily, so that means this one is likely going seven. Go Ducks!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #429
bbor
Pro Starter

Torterella needs to relax.Ripping your own keeper in the play offs is just dumb.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:24 AM   #430
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. That was probably the worst. officiated. playoff game. Ever.

It was f*cking abysmal. It was horrible all around. It was horrible for both teams. The game had a very weird feel to it and it was all the refs' fault. I think both teams had at least 2 5-on-3's. In the playoffs? Are you kidding me? The Wings had 11 powerplays. That's ridiculous. The game spiraled out of control early on, thanks to the refs, and it never got better. It was BS make-up call after BS make-up call.

After the Wings' 4th goal I knew the Oilers' would get another powerplay. I would have bet my house on it, if I had a chance. And low and behold...

Both of Legace's goals - through the five hole - were bad goals. Definitely the kind of goals you can't afford to give up in a playoff series. He did recover and play pretty well for the rest of the game (the miscue that almost led to Smyth's wrap around goal aside), but I don't have that much confidence in him and, more importantly, I am not sure how much confidence he has in him.

I will honestly say it was the least enjoyable Red Wings' playoff win I have ever watched. There were two exceptions:

Pronger's hit on Cleary. It was more Cleary trying to hit Pronger, but the Cleary left his feet and ended up spinning around - helicopter style - parallel with the top of the boards. It was great.

Zetterberg's goal. Datysuk made a hell of a play to get through two Oilers' defensemen, then made a perfect pass to a streaking Zetterberg, who then smoked Roloson and put the puck right in the top shelf. It was by far the nicest goal in the series for the Wings. Welcome to the NHL playoffs Mr. Datsyuk.

All things considered, obviously I'll take the win and be happy to be coming home 2-2
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #431
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

w000000000000000000000000000000000000tttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Canes!

That is all.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #432
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Nice kick save by the defensemen.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 PM   #433
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Turco only gives up 1 goal as the Stars take it.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #434
Pyser
Pro Rookie

15 in a row.

w00t.

just w00t.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:02 PM   #435
bbor
Pro Starter

Paging Scotty Bowman...Paging Scotty Bowman....

Old 04-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #436
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
15 in a row.

w00t.

just w00t.

Did you end up going to Game 1?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #437
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i sure did. row 11 opposite the devs bench!

went with my best friend....a lifelong rangers fan. it was a great afternoon!

now the debate is if/when i should go back for a later round.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #438
Karim
College Starter

Nothing like playoff powerplays! The NHL - it's FAN-TASTIC!

At the start of the playoffs, I was all for the crackdown and biting my tongue. But we're far enough into it and I've seen enough brutal calls and non-calls (especially in OT costing) that the players clearly do not know what is a penalty. And you 've got to love how it's a special-team clinic when Bettman is in the building.

Why can't incidental contact be just two guys fighting for the puck? Don't look for a penalty if it isn't there.

I'm very disappointed in this year's playoffs. And this has nothing to do with the Flames' performance; I've watched several of the other series as well.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #439
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ah, the Devils dispatch the undeserving Rangers in 4. Gotta love it .
Old 04-30-2006, 02:53 AM   #440
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

OK, I know the Rangers were in an elimination game, and I know Jaromir Jagr is supposed to be their star player, but I can't believe he played in Game 4 and didn't even last for a minute. First of all, the way he got injured in Game 1 was just plain stupid. Then he ends up getting bumped in Game 4 -- just bumped! -- and he tips over into the boards. What? He doesn't know how to stand on skates anymore? For a guy who played every game in the regular season and looked like a stud all season, he turned into a big wimp when the playoffs came around.

After this series, I'm glad the Rangers blew their chance at being called Atlantic Division champions. They sure as hell didn't deserve a title like that.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #441
Booj
High School JV

Well, it's nice to know that the Hurricanes can high-stick the Canadiens at will and no penalties will be called... First Koivu in one where EVERY ONE in the arena saw it, and took our captain out of the series, at least, and NO penalty was called when it should have been a four-minute double minor and then Markov gets cracked in the head in game four, again to no call at all...

This game is important for the Canadiens and I am concerned that the team doesn't know how to play without Koivu... (I do like Bonk on that top line, though) however, Begin is set to come back and although not many people know about him outside of Montreal he is the team's spark plug and could be EXACTLY what the team needs right now. It gives them a centre on that fourth line, another penalty killer and a leader with Koivu at home.

If Begin didn't come back? I doubt Montreal wins another game in the series, now that he is coming back? I think they have a shot.

One thing I can take from the two losses is that a) they weren't blowouts and b) they are games they could have won. They are playing well, they just ran into a hot goalie...

I'll have more after game five tonight...
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #442
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj
Well, it's nice to know that the Hurricanes can high-stick the Canadiens at will and no penalties will be called... First Koivu in one where EVERY ONE in the arena saw it, and took our captain out of the series, at least, and NO penalty was called when it should have been a four-minute double minor and then Markov gets cracked in the head in game four, again to no call at all...

This game is important for the Canadiens and I am concerned that the team doesn't know how to play without Koivu... (I do like Bonk on that top line, though) however, Begin is set to come back and although not many people know about him outside of Montreal he is the team's spark plug and could be EXACTLY what the team needs right now. It gives them a centre on that fourth line, another penalty killer and a leader with Koivu at home.

If Begin didn't come back? I doubt Montreal wins another game in the series, now that he is coming back? I think they have a shot.

One thing I can take from the two losses is that a) they weren't blowouts and b) they are games they could have won. They are playing well, they just ran into a hot goalie...

I'll have more after game five tonight...

Though I dearly love that the series has gotten tied up and we're finally playing with some purpose, I do agree with you that we're getting a bit carefree with our sticks in others' faces. I kept expecting the whistle to blow on more than one occasion in the last game.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #443
Vince
Pro Starter

I love the Sharks' chances right now, but I think it's going to be a very tall order to win tonight. The Preds played extremely well at the end of game four, and they'll be playing at home with their backs against the wall.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #444
Karim
College Starter

The stars are aligning for a playoff BOA in the Conference Semi-Finals. That could be one for the ages...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #445
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

In-sane...

SI

Old 04-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #446
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The last two times the Devils swept a team in the playoffs, they won the Cup.

That 4th banner sure will look nice.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #447
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

at least the Stars weren't swept!

anyone want to buy Guerin?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #448
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
The stars are aligning for a playoff BOA in the Conference Semi-Finals. That could be one for the ages...

Ooh...karma, please kick this one through the goalposts.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:34 PM   #449
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

BOA?

SI

Old 04-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #450
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Ooh...karma, please kick this one through the goalposts.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the top 4 seeds in the West all eliminated in the first round. That said, I think Edmonton would just be happy to have a second round opponent rather than some early May tee times.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote