Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 AM   #51
Swaggs
Coordinator

In EHM, it seems like only players who have certain leadership ratings can become coaches, so I would imagine this would be similar. In EHM, toward the end of their careers, you can opt to sign these type of guys as players or coaches/scouts.

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #52
MrBug708
Head Coach

I never played EHM more then 3 seasons so I couldnt tell ya...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #53
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Urgl.. it may be just that I'm playing it over the net, but there is just too much information. too much STUFF on the screen.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:06 PM   #54
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Urgl.. it may be just that I'm playing it over the net, but there is just too much information. too much STUFF on the screen.

You need to turn in your text simmers card...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:06 PM   #55
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

It could just be residual effects of your brain being broken yesterday.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:25 PM   #56
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That too..

the scoreboard with the lineups completely in scoreboard light is offputting, at least right now to me
Old 05-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #57
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
That too..

the scoreboard with the lineups completely in scoreboard light is offputting, at least right now to me

5mb left to download.

One impression, the links to the downloads are SLOW.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #58
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
5mb left to download.

One impression, the links to the downloads are SLOW.

dola next time get this stuff put on FILEPLANET
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #59
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The ones towards of the download list are a lot faster. I don't remember the one I chose. But I initally chose one of the top ones and it was slow as heck. I chose a bottom one and then it went really fast.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #60
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I have it d/l'd @ work and messed with it a bit at lunch. Overwhelming is the only thing I can say after a hour of toying around with it.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #61
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

My d/l took onlly 4-5 min - I used one of the later ones in the list they provided.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #62
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Overwhelming is what I thought the first time I ever played EHM, so....I'm actually happier to hear that about OOTP than "OMG, where is this or where is that..." I'm sure that'll come later, but...yeah. Just downloaded my copy and got another license.

I actually got a refund for my preorder (I preordered after the price went up, so it didn't matter..) because I didn't figure I'd be here. But, 3 weeks will be enough to get into and stuff.

Here's hoping I get a job here this summer I applied for so I don't have to leave at all.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:36 PM   #63
DanGarion
Coordinator

I love the simulation screen you get to see while the game sims, it's sweet.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #64
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Is there a demo?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:34 PM   #65
Bee
Pro Starter

I just finished reading the impressions thread on the OOTP boards. So sugary, my tooth hurts.

Looking forward to some real impressions...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:35 PM   #66
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I just finished reading the impressions thread on the OOTP boards. So sugary, my tooth hurts.

Yeah. I expect we will have to wait at least a couple days before anyone really starts to examine the stats engine in depth. The tech support forum does show a fair amount of strange bugs. So, that's something I guess.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:36 PM   #67
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Is there a demo?

Not yet...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-31-2006, 01:37 PM   #68
kingfc22
Head Coach

Hmmm, I really have the itch to purchase this game, but I want to be sure that there are no show stoppers.

Any plans for an FOFC league?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

yeah... where's Skydog when you need him...

if histories imported from 6.5 I might have done the deed.. but I really want to read some FOFC impressions..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:43 PM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

From Todd at the sportsblog: a tad encouraging

Quote:
Quickie OOTP Notes

Okay, I spent my lunch hour with OOTP. Here is what I've learned: If you move very quickly, you might be able to read all of the league creation options available to you. Not change them. Not understand them all. Just observe them all and go, "Uh. Wow that's a lot a stuff and, er... stuff, man."

It's simply overwhelming. Hopefully all this stuff works. A few other observations:

On Importing Leagues:
- Importing a leage takes just a minute or two, at least to get it to show in the league creation screen. Actual league creation once you clicke the "Start Game" (ie - create new league) takes a few minutes (less than 5 on my underpowered laptop).
- Logos don't appear to import
- Fielding stats don't import, but hitting and pitching stats do.
- Year-end player awards (gold glove, MVP, etc.) import
- Team histories (including League Champions) don't appear to import (that seems odd to me)
- Because you import leagues into the league creation screen first, it's actually possible to make your existing OOTP league a separate minor or world league within a larger world baseball framework. For instance I could replace the AAA baseball setup for a conventional Major League Baseball scenario with the New City Baseball League that Bill ran and I was in. (I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, but it's cool that you can.)

One special note for Vista users: If you try to run this game in Windows Vista Beta 2, you must select to run the program as an Administrator. If you don't, nothing happens when you activiate the game's icon. (To do this, right-click the game's icon and select Run as Administrator. You can also permanently set this option from its Properties dialog box.) I expect that at best, this will apply to maybe one of you reading the blog, but hey, it's worth noting. (Btw - I really, really, like the Beta 2 build of Vista. Very stable.)

More to come!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 PM   #71
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'll do a detailed impression once I get to class and I use logmein, in like a half hour.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #72
Terps
College Prospect

Anyone know if you import a roster set from 6 or 6.5 if the minor leaguers will import also?
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #73
Vince
Pro Starter

So am I missing something?

I didn't pre-order (why, I don't know. I intended to get it upon release anyways), but I put in an order this morning, and it still said pre-order. I go to the download page, and it says 'Download Items', but there are no links, and it mentions that the game will be available in Spring of 2006. Do I have to wait because I didn't pre-order, or am I just retarded?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:56 PM   #74
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Do I have to wait because I didn't pre-order, or am I just retarded?
Is 'both' an option?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #75
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do I have to wait because I didn't pre-order, or am I just retarded?

I'm not sure if you are retarded or not, but you do have to wait until it's released to the general public.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #76
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
Is 'both' an option?

Obviously, the correct answer.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #77
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I'm not sure if you are retarded or not, but you do have to wait until it's released to the general public.

Well, I think it's safe to say that I qualify for the retarded moniker at this point. I would mention that I just got out of bed, but it's friggin noon.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #78
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm totally off the topic here, but I just discovered something. I've been out here in the Eastern time zone for 10 months now, and I'm still not used to be so far in front of California. Vince says that it's noon, and I flip out when I see 3:00 on my computer screen. Agh.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #79
Vince
Pro Starter

Heh...it always takes me a while to figure out what time zone someone is in...it plays hell with me when I try to figure out what time it is where MIJB is when we chat late at night
Old 05-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
Anyone know if you import a roster set from 6 or 6.5 if the minor leaguers will import also?

Yes I believe they do.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #81
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I'm totally off the topic here, but I just discovered something. I've been out here in the Eastern time zone for 10 months now, and I'm still not used to be so far in front of California. Vince says that it's noon, and I flip out when I see 3:00 on my computer screen. Agh.

That happened to me as I've moved further west. That I can never call home without realizing how late it is there.

Gah.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #82
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
So am I missing something?

I didn't pre-order (why, I don't know. I intended to get it upon release anyways), but I put in an order this morning, and it still said pre-order. I go to the download page, and it says 'Download Items', but there are no links, and it mentions that the game will be available in Spring of 2006. Do I have to wait because I didn't pre-order, or am I just retarded?

Like I said earlier in the thread. I'd preordered, but cancelled it because I didn't think I'd be here. But long story short, I ordered a new copy this morning and it worked fine.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #83
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

THE MAMMOTH GAME GUIDE
Old 05-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #84
JS19
College Prospect

On the time zone topic, I had to go to Pensacola, Fl for the Marines a little over a yr ago and for the first week I was there I was still clueless to the fact that it was a different time zone than NY.

Back to OOTP, when exactly is this gonna be available for an idiot like myself who didn't preorder?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #85
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I try to figure out what time it is where MIJB is when we chat late at night

That doesn't sound gay at all
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #86
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm sitting here messing around with this and keep going "wow" Sooo robust featurewise. I'm loving the polished look.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #87
Icy
Pro Starter

Crap, i'm downloading it at 5kbs so it will take like 40 minutes. I have tried all the links, the top ones are so slow and the later ones are not working right now.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #88
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Crap, i'm downloading it at 5kbs so it will take like 40 minutes. I have tried all the links, the top ones are so slow and the later ones are not working right now.
Ya, i picked a bad day to download my new data updtate 5.05 patch for WWSM...3kbs for 70 megs....i hate you damn baseball people
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #89
SackAttack
Head Coach

Augh.

I lost my network connection on my laptop about two minutes after getting licensed. What that has meant is that I've been able to play, but not been able to get access to the Internet to post about things I've seen.

Even better, this computer is on the same network, but can't detect the other one, so I can't upload and post screenshots of some of the really weird stuff.

Just a couple notes off the top of my head before I go back and try to fix my network issues.

1) I had a reliever get credited with both the win and the save. I've only seen it happen once, but he was the pitcher of record when the game's lone run scored in the bottom of the 12th inning, AND he pitched 3 innings of relief, so the game might be tracking both things. That normally wouldn't come up is my guess.

2) You can only put players on the disabled list if you're the parent franchise. Probably as it should be, but I had a couple of injuries in an A-ball career beyond two weeks where, well, I had to live with it, because the parent franchise wasn't inclined to do anything about the injuries.

3) "Send Forced"? Cooooool. Pitch-by-pitch mode as an option? Coooooool. Six hits of combined offense in 12 innings because the game appears to be treating the ratings of minor leaguers as major league equivalencies (i.e. contact of '4' sucks ass even though, well, he's a 19 y/o in Rookie ball)? That's...not so cool.

3) Has anybody yet figured out how, when starting a league, to 'lock' the team nicknames in so that when you choose a particular league, you don't have to rename the teams each time?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 PM   #90
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
On the time zone topic, I had to go to Pensacola, Fl for the Marines a little over a yr ago and for the first week I was there I was still clueless to the fact that it was a different time zone than NY.

Back to OOTP, when exactly is this gonna be available for an idiot like myself who didn't preorder?

Available now
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #91
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
...the game appears to be treating the ratings of minor leaguers as major league equivalencies (i.e. contact of '4' sucks ass even though, well, he's a 19 y/o in Rookie ball)? That's...not so cool.

Eww, that is not cool
Old 05-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #92
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Six hits of combined offense in 12 innings because the game appears to be treating the ratings of minor leaguers as major league equivalencies (i.e. contact of '4' sucks ass even though, well, he's a 19 y/o in Rookie ball)? That's...not so cool.

Wouldn't low ratings also affect the pitchers and balance things out?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #93
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Yeah. I expect we will have to wait at least a couple days before anyone really starts to examine the stats engine in depth. The tech support forum does show a fair amount of strange bugs. So, that's something I guess.

Barring disaster with my internet connection, I plan to have a 100 year fictional report up by tomorrow morning.

That should give us all some idea of what the statistical output is.

As for the in game impressions, you know the people who have it here at FOFC will give you truthful feedback.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #94
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Wouldn't low ratings also affect the pitchers and balance things out?
Yes, so likely his team is that much worse compared to the opponent
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #95
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
3) Has anybody yet figured out how, when starting a league, to 'lock' the team nicknames in so that when you choose a particular league, you don't have to rename the teams each time?

Do you mean when you select one of the standard leagues?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #96
Schmidty
Coordinator

I can't find anywhere to download the damned game even though I just bought it. I keep trying the torrent link, but it won't work. Does anyone have another link to the exe?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Barring disaster with my internet connection, I plan to have a 100 year fictional report up by tomorrow morning.

As for the in game impressions, you know the people who have it here at FOFC will give you truthful feedback.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm vacilating about whether or not to buy, and I'm waiting for some reliable impressions.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #98
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

http://rapidshare.de/files/21871657/ootp2006_setup.exe

Do you have a Bittorrent client, Schmidty?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #99
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

I look forward to reading that.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #100
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
http://rapidshare.de/files/21871657/ootp2006_setup.exe

Do you have a Bittorrent client, Schmidty?

Yeah, but for some reason it just hangs, and doesn't d/l anything. I tried another file, and it did the same thing. I'll uninstall it and reinstall. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks for the link.