Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #151
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
But it has to be a game in there somewhere, which is what I think you are getting at. I think that's one of the big things I have against people crying "not realistic" is that if it were true realism, it would so boring and monotonous. We are playing a game not simulating real life and in the case of managing at A, it has to be fun for us to play, just as if we are playing GM/Coach at any other level.

I'm not responding to anything specific, just a random, incoherent thought I had.

Yep, I agree. I think there's a balance that could have been struck to keep the minor leagues interesting without giving too much unrealistic control to the minor league manager. Instead I'm finding it pretty boring and not all that realistic since I have absolutely zero input or ability to comment if I think players are ready for the next level or not.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 PM   #152
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I went ahead and purchased.

It has seemingly everything under the sun. It just isn't really built for people who want to blow through season like I like to. It sims very fast, but it takes so much time to make decisions or filter through a mind-blowing amount of information that it's not something you can breeze through and have any success.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:46 PM   #153
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I didn't download the game yet or anything, but in EHM, you put a guy on the trading block, by setting their player status and making them available. I don't know if OOTP 2006 is the same or not.

Yeah, I initially thought that could've been what was up, but there aren't 'statuses' in this game.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #154
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Yeah, I initially thought that could've been what was up, but there aren't 'statuses' in this game.

Because baseball is not hockey or soccer? There may be more to that flippant remark than meets the eye?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #155
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
But it has to be a game in there somewhere, which is what I think you are getting at. I think that's one of the big things I have against people crying "not realistic" is that if it were true realism, it would so boring and monotonous. We are playing a game not simulating real life and in the case of managing at A, it has to be fun for us to play, just as if we are playing GM/Coach at any other level.

I'm not responding to anything specific, just a random, incoherent thought I had.

This is the problem I've had with the Grey Dog games thus far. I have so much un-fun managing the roster that I can't even get into the game.

Like you, this comment isn't about this game - I'll prob. even buy it in a few weeks after school.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 PM   #156
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Because baseball is not hockey or soccer? There may be more to that flippant remark than meets the eye?

que?

Last edited by sovereignstar : 05-31-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #157
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
This is the problem I've had with the Grey Dog games thus far. I have so much un-fun managing the roster that I can't even get into the game.

I say the same thing about another company but then again, I'm a strategy gamer, not a sports simmer. Heck, I play OOTP5 and FBCB like a strategy game because they are very easy for me to do so.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:12 PM   #158
TroyF
Coordinator

OK, some quick thoughts:

My 100 year sim is running. I got a really late start on it. I likely won't have it up until tomorrow night. Sorry.

Early impressions are pretty much what I expected. The amount of options are staggering. A little overwhelming at first to be honest. It will take me some time to set up a "serious" league if I ever get into the game.

Running through a fictional draft now, more to report later.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:57 PM   #159
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I'm seeing what feels like a ton of injuries in my second season. This is at the default "normal" injury setting. Does this same unusually high to anyone else?

I think that injuries in V2006 are probably modeled as close to reality as anything in the game. BP's Will Carroll, who is an injury expert, shared the data that he's collected with Markus, thus the 'Under the Knife' section. It may look like a lot, but I don't think the average baseball fan understands how many injuries occur in real life.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #160
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I went ahead and purchased.

It has seemingly everything under the sun. It just isn't really built for people who want to blow through season like I like to. It sims very fast, but it takes so much time to make decisions or filter through a mind-blowing amount of information that it's not something you can breeze through and have any success.

I'm kind of surprised as I know you get into Puresim quite a bit.

So far though, nothing has made me want to purchase the game at all. In fact, back to my 6.5 career.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 PM   #161
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So is this like EHM where even if you don't load one of the standard league, they still exist?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #162
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I don't see the 'sim multiple seasons' option. Is it in this years edition?
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #163
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks

I don't think so.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #164
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

umm...i feel ashamed to ask this...but how do i control a team? i started the league as unemployed so i could sim a few seasons out and now i want to take control over a team. i read the 'smaller' manual but didn't see anything encouraging.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #165
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
umm...i feel ashamed to ask this...but how do i control a team? i started the league as unemployed so i could sim a few seasons out and now i want to take control over a team. i read the 'smaller' manual but didn't see anything encouraging.
Not sure, but try clicking the manager tab and check job openings. I haven't gotten that far though.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #166
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm not even going to try to get into the AI tonight. My plan is to put my 100 year sim up and let everyone else go through it at the same time I get to do so.

Some initial thoughts on the game itself:

1) Overwhelmed. I think I've probably said that to myself 10 or 12 times in the two hours I've played around with the game. You can literally get lost in all of the options, stats, screens. . . it's utterly amazing the way this thing is layed out. I'm still getting used to it, but I like it a lot. For those who hate the FM interface? Don't even bother with this. You'll spend 10 minutes looking dumbfounded at the screen and go insane.

2) I don't like the new trade interface. There should be a trade block in every sports game.

3) I have to play around more, but I didn't see an option that would let me watch a game straight through, without clicking a button. I like to watch the occasional game, I'd like to be able to do it without having to click the mouse 100+ times in a game.

4) That said, the different ways to watch a game are outstanding. The "web" based interface is incredible. It gives you the location and speed of each pitch. Very nicely done.

5) Have I mentioned that I've felt overwhelmed a couple of times? I love stats. Love them. I love options. This is insanity. (that's a good thing)

6) The game is super, duper fast.

---------------------------------------------------------

If the AI from those reports shows up and is a letdown, this will be a major dissapointment. The game has a ton going for it. I could see myself getting lost in it like no other game in recent memory.

***Sigh*** Look at what I just wrote up there? I'm setting myelf up to be left to die on Mt. Everest with the FOFC faithful laughing at me as it happens.

Well, more impressions tomorrow (along with the reports tomorrow night)

I'm going to play the game some more before I start noticing bugs and get ticked off.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 PM   #167
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Yes it is, just designed differently. Go to the sked page, click on the year at the top of the sked and you should get a column of about 20 or so seasons. You can scroll higher if you wish...just choose the year/season you want to sim until. Then at the bottom of the page you choose "autoplay" and the date you selected is the bottom option.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #168
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I had trouble figuring that out myself. Here is what you do:

Go to the schedule screen. You'll be able to see the current day. Click on the year tab. Scroll down to the year you want. Click on "auto play" at the bottom right of the screen. Click on "sim until this date"
Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 PM   #169
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Not sure, but try clicking the manager tab and check job openings. I haven't gotten that far though.
i don't want to be offered a job. i want to be god and control whichever team i want.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:36 PM   #170
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
i don't want to be offered a job. i want to be god and control whichever team i want.
oh i figured it out. need to go to manager homepage, then select 'play in commissioner mode', then go to the 'available jobs' screen
Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 PM   #171
JS19
College Prospect

Wow. Just made the purchase and as it's been said already, THERE IS SO MUCH STUFF. Being that I am a computer idiot I feel like a lost 6 yr old in a grocery store.

Is there a way to start a league using default rosters, or is the draft the only way to start the game?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 PM   #172
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

FWIW I'm making a real-life quickstart with all the real nicknames and hopefully all the logos of the MLB and minors. Not sure if all the logos have been done or not, but I'll include as many as possible (all will be named correctly for ease of use).

Just finished up all the nicknames and damn is this exhausting, especially when a handful of teams were in the wrong divisions.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #173
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
FWIW I'm making a real-life quickstart with all the real nicknames and hopefully all the logos of the MLB and minors. Not sure if all the logos have been done or not, but I'll include as many as possible (all will be named correctly for ease of use).

Just finished up all the nicknames and damn is this exhausting, especially when a handful of teams were in the wrong divisions.

Nice, I was naming teams up until AA and then I got sick of it.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:50 PM   #174
aran
High School Varsity

Can't you download that database of professional teams names and such for this game just like you could for Puresim? I thought i saw someone say that they hadn't downloaded that DB because they hadn't been on the internet recently... Maybe I'm thinking of the pursim impressions thread, though.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:53 PM   #175
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
Can't you download that database of professional teams names and such for this game just like you could for Puresim? I thought i saw someone say that they hadn't downloaded that DB because they hadn't been on the internet recently... Maybe I'm thinking of the pursim impressions thread, though.

Yeah, but what about the gazillion minor league teams?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #176
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I just created an English Baseball league to go with all the leagues that go with it.

Bringing proper sport to Jolly Old England! It's just not cricket I say..
Old 05-31-2006, 10:57 PM   #177
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
oh i figured it out. need to go to manager homepage, then select 'play in commissioner mode', then go to the 'available jobs' screen

You don't even need to do that. When you set up a league and you create a manager, you have the option right there to either start as unemployed or specifically select the team you wish to control.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 PM   #178
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran

That might've been me. Last time I downloaded Lahman separate from a baseball game was back in the OOTP 5 days, I think. My OOTP desktop is STILL fucking offline, so I haven't been able to snag it for OOTP 2006.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:04 PM   #179
GabeRivers
n00b

Quote:

I struggled with this for awhile, too. I wanted to sim multiple seasons before i started managing, but the game has you create a manager from the start. I don't recall whether I picked this up from the extensive guide, the shorter manual, or someone's post at the OOTP forums, but I've landed on a good approach -- at least for me.

You can easily set up multiple managers. Set up your first manager as the commissioner, with no team. Sim through as many seasons as you want before starting your managing career.

Then create a new manager, the one you want to be your active manager (actually, it appears that you can create as many of these as you want, and you can cycle thru them as you wish). When you create the new manager, you have the opportunity to assign him to manage any team you want, without making him a commissioner.

Anytime you want to edit in commissioner mode, you simply cycle to the original manager (the commissioner).

As far as the game goes, I think "overwhelming" is an apt description. The trading situation is almost a deal killer for me -- but the jury is still out, and I'm going to press on for now.
GabeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 PM   #180
Barkeep49
Coordinator

So it sounds like Bee got discouraged playing a career as a minor league manager. Is anyone else trying that or will impressions of that have to wait? Anyone have draft impressions? For those managing in the majors, such as lynchjim because I know we have similar play styles, what kind of decisions are you making on a daily basis? Certain micromanaging I don't mind as long as the decisions are easy to do, meaning I'm not forced to go to 5 screens play each week, for instance.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:21 PM   #181
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i must say that the play-by-play is very much improved. there's a good deal of variety and it's just plain odd to see text for plays that isn't the same old text that had been in ootp since v3.

i actually need to read the wholoe play to find out what happened, as opposed to ootp6 where i could predict what the play would be based on the first word, since it had gotten so repetitive.

i love seeing things like "fouled off the catchers mitt" or "he throws his bat down in disgust after that out"
Old 05-31-2006, 11:24 PM   #182
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait to see someone do up an announcer text file like Ernie Harwell.. or Vin Scully. Or well.. you get the point.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 PM   #183
korme
Go Reds

How do you sim to a certain year? I started a fic. league in 1980 with plans to sim until 2006 but I only see an option of sim for one season.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 PM   #184
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I played one season using the full MLB template. I want to introduce you to Sol Padilla. As of 7/30/2006 Padilla was leading the MLB in HR's and RBI's. His .348 BA ranked second in the MLB only behind his LF teammate.

On the day of the trade deadline the Baltimore fans were shocked as their triple crown hopeful was traded away to San Diego.

Of course the thought of getting a MR in exchange for a 25 year old phenom was cause for distress, but there's a happy ending.

That's right, he got two wins out of the bullpen for the O's and helped them to a spot in the playoffs (BAL finished 111-51). Even though the he posted an 8.08 era and two wins he was left off the playoff roster and watched as his team won the world series. Ahhhh, I only see him getting better throughout his 30's.....

End of story.....
Old 05-31-2006, 11:55 PM   #185
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
How do you sim to a certain year? I started a fic. league in 1980 with plans to sim until 2006 but I only see an option of sim for one season.

Change the date at the top of the schedule screen, then under the same button you see the option to sim for one year, you can sim to the date you've chosen.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 05-31-2006 at 11:56 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:55 PM   #186
korme
Go Reds

Sims 1 season in a minute and a half? My ass. I have the full MLB, plus Japan and Korea and a brand new laptop, it's been ten minutes and I've simmed through 2 months of the first season
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 PM   #187
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Sims 1 season in a minute and a half? My ass. I have the full MLB, plus Japan and Korea and a brand new laptop, it's been ten minutes and I've simmed through 2 months of the first season
How many teams is that?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #188
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yay, my computer works again.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #189
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

FIRST DAY FICTIONAL MLB QUICKSTART (14.1 MB)
-----

What this has:
-Only MLB and all minor leagues
-Real team nicknames
-fictional players
-Correct minor league setup (there are errors in the default quickstarts)
-All major league logos and the majority of minor league logos (AAA, AA, and all levels of A should be there) (all logos courtesy of OOTP member 'truthserum' - he's done a masterful job)

What this won't have:
-real MLB players (!!)
-any foreign leagues
-Every single logo
-MLB color schemes should be right, but I think all the minor league schemes are messed up

-I only messed with a few cosmetic things in the initial setup. Otherwise, just about everything is the default. Hopefully I didn't miss something.

-To install unzip the Fictional MLB.quick folder into your data/quickstart_games folder with any other quickstarts you have
-----

Let me know if there are any mistakes mmkay

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-01-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #190
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Okay, which one of you saps is gonna download that thing and make sure it works? I'm too busy starting my managing career in Durham.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #191
SackAttack
Head Coach

Sov, I might give it a try.

Is it possible to replace logos within the quickstart? I'd be okay with leaving his AAA and AA logos alone, but I really like the stamp baseballs that justafan did, and would rather use those for my major league logos.

Is replacement easy enough?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #192
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Sov, I might give it a try.

Is it possible to replace logos within the quickstart? I'd be okay with leaving his AAA and AA logos alone, but I really like the stamp baseballs that justafan did, and would rather use those for my major league logos.

Is replacement easy enough?

Should be. What you'll want to do is open up your data/saved_games/yournewleague.lg/news/html/images folder and see what the current ones are named in case the ones you are downloading aren't named correctly. Then drag the justafan logos over and hopefully they will overwrite the current ones.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-01-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #193
SackAttack
Head Coach

Cool.

I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:53 AM   #194
kingfc22
Head Coach

Al Bone is the next big thing. The Orioles GM must have known this.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #195
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Hmmm.. it seems that with the quickstart you'll start off with me as a manager. I should hope that there is a way to delete managers, but I'm not seeing it.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 AM   #196
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Yeah, this is friggin brilliant. You are forced to at least name a general manager once you create a new game, so I don't think I could've prevented myself from being included in the quickstart!
Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #197
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Hmmm.. it seems that with the quickstart you'll start off with me as a manager. I should hope that there is a way to delete managers, but I'm not seeing it.

You can edit the manager, but unless you add a new one you're stuck with the Durham Bulls as your starting team.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #198
SackAttack
Head Coach

Closest thing I can think of to keeping yourself out of the quickstart would probably be to create Joe Unknown and have him start unemployed. It still freezes you out of the majors, but it's probably the next best thing unless you want to activate Commish Mode.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:31 AM   #199
Ragone
Pro Rookie

looking at that trade in the screenshot above.. maybe balitmore figured they couldn't keep him at his price level.. as he was a free agent after the season and basically got what they could for him
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #200
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Closest thing I can think of to keeping yourself out of the quickstart would probably be to create Joe Unknown and have him start unemployed. It still freezes you out of the majors, but it's probably the next best thing unless you want to activate Commish Mode.

Yeah, this quickstart is only going to be cool for like 3-4 days tops anyways. It's like this:

1. Go to Game, Add Manager and create your very own profile
2. Go to Game, Select Manager and select yourself
3. Go to Game, Add Manager and delete me from your mothatruckin game