Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #51
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan Bucks? Did an OSU and UM fan form that team?

vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #52
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip
Headed off tonight to go see some US Open Cup Soccer!!

Called up the wife about a 1/2 hour ago and told her to have the kids
fed and ready to leave when I got home. I told her I was going to give
her a break and take the kids out. All my kids are under the age of 10 and have been heavily influenced by my FM addiction so of course they are real excited to go watch some "Football boys".

Michigan Bucks (USL PDL) vs. Columbus Crew (MLS) 7:30 PM up in Rochester Michigan.

They met earlier in the year and Columbus had their way with them 4-0.

This is purely 100% a side effect of FM. Two years ago I would have never even imagined me going to a Soccer match.

Go Bucks!

Damn! I didn't realize the Bucks were playing an MLS team. I went a couple years ago when they played the MetroStars at Berkley High School's football field. I thought it was pretty cool that I could walk from my house to go see an MLS team play Have a good time!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #53
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip
Headed off tonight to go see some US Open Cup Soccer!!

Called up the wife about a 1/2 hour ago and told her to have the kids
fed and ready to leave when I got home. I told her I was going to give
her a break and take the kids out. All my kids are under the age of 10 and have been heavily influenced by my FM addiction so of course they are real excited to go watch some "Football boys".

Michigan Bucks (USL PDL) vs. Columbus Crew (MLS) 7:30 PM up in Rochester Michigan.

They met earlier in the year and Columbus had their way with them 4-0.

This is purely 100% a side effect of FM. Two years ago I would have never even imagined me going to a Soccer match.

Go Bucks!

The Bucks knocked out my Kings last week, but it wasn't totally an upset. I had heard that the Bucks have been playing together for a longer time and have more experienced players than the young Kings. We were really looking forward to a match against the Crew this week, but alas it wasn't to be.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #54
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

DC United beat Celtic 4-0? Was it their 'B' team?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #55
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
DC United beat Celtic 4-0? Was it their 'B' team?

No, it wasn't.

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #56
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

but it was preseason right? for celtics sake i hope so
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #57
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge
but it was preseason right? for celtics sake i hope so

Yeah, preseason. Celtic have lost all three pre-season games so far (2 in Poland then this one) with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge still to come.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #58
Butter
Coordinator

No, it was a league match.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:15 AM   #59
PilotMan
Head Coach

Speaking of the US Open Cup, they are calling the Chivas US loss to amature, Dallas Roma FC in penalties as the biggest upset in Cup history. Chivas was a man down after Razov was sent off and they gradually subbed in more starters. They fell 4-2 in penalties.

Now crazy things happen in the Cup, but if you are Chivas, you have to be feeling really embarresed.

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #60
Butter
Coordinator

Chivas has pretty much been an embarrassment since they were added to the league, so this is not really surprising.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #61
PilotMan
Head Coach

I agree, but I think that it speaks more to the underestimation of the Chivas management as to the quality of play in the MLS.

Like Steam?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #62
Critch
lolzcat

Sky News say reports from Italy say Milan, Juventus, Fiorentina and Lazio will all be relegated to Serie B, they'll all lose their European place for this year, and Juventus will start with a 20 point penalty.

The final announcement is due sometime today.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #63
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Since at least a couple teams are publically traded, they won't announce it till after the close of italian markets, but it shouldn't be too much longer
Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #64
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Shame that Juve escapes to Serie B instead of being told to go to Serie C, as should have happened.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #65
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Shame that Juve escapes to Serie B instead of being told to go to Serie C, as should have happened.

Bah if there is a 20 point penalty, there going to stay 2 years in Serie B, so the result is the same.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #66
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreizhManu
Bah if there is a 20 point penalty, there going to stay 2 years in Serie B, so the result is the same.

20 points is nothing with the right referees
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #67
Critch
lolzcat

The Sky news stuff is still just rumors from Italian newspapers, so it's not certain that they'll avoid Serie C, I guess.

They've changed the rumor now as well, the latest one is Milan escaping with no relegation but a 20 point penalty for next year.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #68
Critch
lolzcat

Dola...

If Juve do go down, where do Buffon, Ibrahimovich, Vieira and the rest end up?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #69
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

A rumor has Viera and Buffon to Arsenal, which would be amazing for them - and that Juventus will try and loan out Trezugeut and Ibrahimovic in order to retain them when they come back up.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #70
Critch
lolzcat

I'm going Vieira to Man Utd, they've been linked with Gattuso with nothing happening so I'm betting they are holding off for somebody else. And that somebody must be Vieira.

Buffon stays in Italy, his wife is a celeb there so uprooting would be difficult. Not sure who.

Ibrahmovich to Bayern Munich. They're in the market for a striker, been linked strangely with van Nisterooy. It looks like van Nistelrooy will end up in Spain, so they'll go for Ibrahimovich instead. The knockon will be Pizarro moving on, but since HSV seem to have dropped out now they've nearly tied up Baros, I don't know where he'll go.

Nedved and Cannavaro, not idea.

I love this part of the season, pre-season friendlies kicking off (Man Utd v Orlando Pirates on Setanta tomorrow morning) and the transfers hotting up.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #71
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Even with 20 points penalty, they may still move on from Serie B, provided they don't lose too much talent.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #72
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Even with 20 points penalty, they may still move on from Serie B, provided they don't lose too much talent.

Yes but if the other go down too with less penalty points ?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #73
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
20 points is nothing with the right referees

LOL!

FM
Old 07-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #74
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
I'm going Vieira to Man Utd, they've been linked with Gattuso with nothing happening so I'm betting they are holding off for somebody else. And that somebody must be Vieira.

Buffon stays in Italy, his wife is a celeb there so uprooting would be difficult. Not sure who.

Ibrahmovich to Bayern Munich. They're in the market for a striker, been linked strangely with van Nisterooy. It looks like van Nistelrooy will end up in Spain, so they'll go for Ibrahimovich instead. The knockon will be Pizarro moving on, but since HSV seem to have dropped out now they've nearly tied up Baros, I don't know where he'll go.

Nedved and Cannavaro, not idea.

I love this part of the season, pre-season friendlies kicking off (Man Utd v Orlando Pirates on Setanta tomorrow morning) and the transfers hotting up.
I can't see Paddy going to another English team, especially Manchester United.

I also can't see Buffon or any of the Italy national team players leaving the country. If I recall correctly, Cannavaro said before the World Cup that he would have no problem staying with them even if they get relegated. At MOST, I'm guessing they loan out to another Italian team for the next year (or two) until they come back to Serie A.

Nedved would be an interesting one to follow but is there really any major team looking to strengthen there? There's ALWAYS room for yet another world class player at Stamford Bridge, of course . . . Hi, Shaun! And, obviously, there's no such thing as having enough attackers at Estadio Santiago Bernabéu. Anyone else, though?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #75
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
If I recall correctly, Cannavaro said before the World Cup that he would have no problem staying with them even if they get relegated.

Yeah, Gattuso has said he wants to stay at AC Milan too. I'd guess if it's only Serie B most will be ok with staying assuming they'll come straight back up, especially the younger players. I'd guess the older ones (Vieira, Nedved, etc) will be the ones looking to stay in the top division somewhere.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #76
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
I also can't see Buffon or any of the Italy national team players leaving the country. If I recall correctly, Cannavaro said before the World Cup that he would have no problem staying with them even if they get relegated.

Psst.. Cannavaro signed with Madrid yesterday.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #77
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Word 'on the street' is the following deals hae already been arranged:

Nedved and Del Piero to stay
Ibrahimovic to Inter
Vieira and Trezuguet to Lyon
Cannavaro, Zambrotta and Emerson to Real Madrid on a lease basis (i.e. the officially become Real players, but Juve have the option to buy back when the get back to Serie A if the players are still interested)
Buffon an Thuram to ???
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #78
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Wow, interesting. Following their coach?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #79
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

Didn't know that, but then again I didn't know that Liverpool had signed Bellamy til the day before yesterday.

I was actually going to predict Cannavaro to Real Madrid in my earlier post.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #80
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

I haven't read a confirmation anywhere.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #81
Critch
lolzcat

Juventus relegated + 30 point penalty. Ouch.

Fiorentina + Lazio relegated too.

Milan stay in Serie A but have 15 point penalty.

edit - Juventus stripped of their last two titles.

Last edited by Critch : 07-14-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:03 PM   #82
Desnudo
Coordinator

Bruce Arena will not return as coach. \0/

All thanks for him taking the program from laughingstock to being able to stomp banana republics, but hopefully they will sign someone capable of harnessing the burgeoning talent base and taking it to a level where we are globally competitive.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...373876&cc=5901

U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati announced Friday that U.S. Men's National Team head coach Bruce Arena, the longest-tenured national team coach at the World Cup, will not return to the U.S. team after his contract expires at the end of the year.

Arena met with Gulati and U.S. Soccer Secretary General Dan Flynn for five hours at LaGuardia Airport on Thursday and a decision was finalized Friday morning.

Gulati said a worldwide search to find a replacement will begin immediately. Speculation will center on Jürgen Klinsmann, who coached the German national team to a third-place finish in this month's World Cup. Klinsmann, who lives in California with his family, stepped down from the German post earlier this week, saying he felt, "burnt out."

Arena, hired in October of 1998, will leave the national team the winningest coach in men's national team history. He coached the 2002 U.S. Men's National Team to the quarterfinals of the World Cup, the best World Cup showing in U.S. Soccer history. But Arena's squad disappointed at this year's World Cup, failing to advance out of group play after losing to the Czech Republic and Ghana and tying eventual World Cup champion Italy.

"It comes down primarily to eight years being a long period," Gulati said. "I'm not going to say we felt the need to change directions. The direction Bruce has set is very, very positive. We didn't get the results we wanted in the World Cup, but Bruce didn't become a bad coach in three games with a few bad bounces of the ball."

"It's tough to see a good coach leave, especially wth what he's done for the sport of soccer in this country," Clint Dempsey, the only U.S. player to score during the 2006 World Cup, told ESPN.com. "The way I see it, if it's not broke, don't fix it. But I guess the Federation was disappointed in our performance in the last World Cup and decided to go in another direction."

Dempsey felt it was unfair for critics to soley blame Arena for the Americans' World Cup disappointment, which included a 3-0 tournament-opening loss to the Czech Republic. After tying eventual Cup champion Italy 1-1, the Americans could have advanced to Group Play with a victory over Ghana, but lost that match 2-1 after a controversial penalty call late in the first half.

"You can't put that entirely on a coach," Dempsey said. "It's on the players as well. We didn't do what we needed to do. He put us in the position to be successful and we came up short. Both parties should be blamed, but that's not the way it works. And it's tough that he gets the blame."

Arena compiled a 71-30-29 record during his eight years, including records for consecutive games unbeaten (16 in 2003-04) and most wins in a calendar year (13 in 2005), as well as for best winning percentage in a calendar year (.750 in 2005). In addition to his team's performances in the World Cup, he coached the U.S. team to two CONCACAF Gold Cup championships (in 2002 and 2005) and a third-place finish at the 1999 FIFA Confederations Cup.

His 71 victories and .658 winning percentage are U.S. soccer records.

"I would like to thank the players, coaches and staff who have been with the program over the last eight years," Arena said in a statement. "Their tireless effort has helped transform the national team program into something we can all be proud of, and I am extremely grateful for their commitment. I have thoroughly enjoyed this experience, and I would like to thank U.S. Soccer for the opportunity and their support throughout my tenure. I am proud of how far the organization has come over the last eight years, and I am extremely optimistic about the future of the sport in our country."

On Friday, Gulati said he hadn't talked to Klinsmann in six months, but acknowledged the former German star could be a potential candidate.

"He's a very inquisitive guy," Gulati said. "He comes to coaches conventions, he'll ask Anson Dorrance how he motivated his North Carolina teams. All those sorts of things. He's intelligent, multi-lingual. He has a lot of positive qualities."

Arena, on the other hand, said he plans to take some time off before weighing future coaching opportunities both here and abroad.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #83
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Heard nothing about it and I live in Spain...The big news here is rather Thuram being linked with the Barça.

Everything is really going to change tomorrow anyway.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #84
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, Gattuso has said he wants to stay at AC Milan too. I'd guess if it's only Serie B most will be ok with staying assuming they'll come straight back up, especially the younger players. I'd guess the older ones (Vieira, Nedved, etc) will be the ones looking to stay in the top division somewhere.

The additional consideration for players is Champions League football. You are actually at least two seasons from that, even if you come staight back from Serie B. With Juve's 30 point penalty pretty much guaranteeing them two seasons in B, that's three seasons at minimum without the CL.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #85
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Juventus relegated + 30 point penalty. Ouch.

Fiorentina + Lazio relegated too.

Milan stay in Serie A but have 15 point penalty.

edit - Milan stay in Serie A with a 44 point penalty, not 15. Juventus stripped of their last two titles.

And Milan won't be allowed to play the CL too.

15 points for Fiorentina and 7 for Lazio too.

I've read 15 points for Milan.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #86
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
And Milan won't be allowed to play the CL too.

15 points for Fiorentina and 7 for Lazio too.

From the BBC:

AC Milan will stay in Serie A but will lose 15 points and will be kicked out of the Champions League.

Juventus were also stripped of their last two titles and had 30 points deducted meaning that they are almost certain to stay down for two seasons.

Lazio were penalised seven points while Fiorentina suffered a 12 point penalty.

More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/5164194.stm

Last edited by Desnudo : 07-14-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #87
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

yep it's 12 points for fiorentina, just checked on yahoo italia :

http://it.sports.yahoo.com/14072006/...a-in-b-12.html
Old 07-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #88
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

Yeah, I read 15 but then somebody insisted that Italian tv said 44. Apparently it is 15.

Also heard that Milan will be awarded the two stripped championships?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #89
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Juve in Serie B.. plus 30 Point penalty plus two titles taken away
Fiorentina in Serie B Plus 15 Points penalty
Lazio Serie B plus 7 points penalty

Milan had 44 points taken off their 2005-06 total, so no games in Europe next year, and had a 15 point penalty assessed for this year (06-07)

All teams are out of Europe and that part CANNOT be appealed, all other penalties can be appealed.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #90
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

I guess probably just the last one since the judgment says the Juve finishes last of the championship while for 2004-2005 the title is revocated.

Anyway that is a big mess and is not the most important.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #91
Desnudo
Coordinator

So can we assume that Lazio and Fiorentina will be appealing? At least that's how it sounded from the lead-in to the verdict.

Also, does anyone know the differences in the case? I really have no idea, other than the Juventus case, what the other three teams did.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #92
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess probably just the last one since the judgment says the Juve finishes last of the championship while for 2004-2005 the title is revocated.

Anyway that is a big mess and is not the most important.

Sounds to me that 04-05 there will be no champion, and 05-06 Juventus will be last and thus Inter will win after AC Milan's point deduction
Old 07-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #93
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
yep it's 12 points for fiorentina, just checked on yahoo italia :

http://it.sports.yahoo.com/14072006/...a-in-b-12.html

In case any non-Italian readers clicked on this link, 'mila' is thousand, not million.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #94
Critch
lolzcat

So Inter finally win the league

I'll have some money on AC Milan winning the league next season after their point deduction is reduced on appeal.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #95
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Basically, this means the 3 teams that finished 18th, 19th and 20th in Serie A go back up to Serie A instead of being relegated.

Juve MIGHT go up to A next year, since there's 22 teams in B, it's a 42 game season.. but they'll have to be near perfect.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #96
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow. wild and crazy shit.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #97
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Huge break for Milan, in avoiding relegation - now that Belusconi is out of power, that was somewhat surprising. Bad news for Madrid and co, who wanted Kaka, Gattuso and co. This also means the top Italian stars are probably signing for Inter and AC respectively.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 07-14-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #98
Desnudo
Coordinator

Stars may still leave if they want CL football.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #99
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Italy's representatives in Europe will be interesting this season:

Inter and Roma in the Champions League group stages
Chievo and Palermo in the Champions League qualifiers
Livorno, Parma and Empoli in the UEFA Cup
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #100
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

One of my friends just sent me this which made me laugh..

"And Juventus have won their 10th straight game to start their first season in Serie B, and are currently last in the table with 0 points!"