Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #151
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Crap, my area probably is too white to get it. All that is near that channel is NBA TV, NFL TV, College Sports TV, and the 3 Fox College Sports channels.

"". Course, I live in Boston, and should have expected this.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #152
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
...when FOX is dredging out it's "classics" (is Bolton beating West Ham 4-1 from last season really a classic?) and that Fox United garbage.

Heh, I imagine the picks can be spotty, but I did watch a few "classics" over those 3 days and thought they actually did a pretty good job with the selections. The Liverpool-Everton match from last year for example (at Anfield) where the action was just insane in the first half with the number of cards (Gerrard getting two yellows in 2 minutes, and being sent off 18 minutes in), then an own goal by Neville to put Liverpool up 1-0, then Luis Garcia putting one in 2 minutes into the second half while down a man.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 07-17-2006 at 02:22 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #153
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*waves to Anxiety, grinning*
Old 07-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #154
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
What's everyone's take on GolTv? Based on my 3-day sample, I'd say I prefer Fox's programming about 95% of the time anyway.

GolTV has a FAR better picture. Though that could be because La Liga has a better picture than the EPL? I usually watch the EPL, so FSC is mostly what I watch soccer on, but sometimes there is a good La Liga, Brazilian, or Serie A match on. And now, with FSC dumping the French Ligue 1 and German Bundesliga, one of them may find their way on GolTV (I've heard the Bundesliga wanted way too much money, so they are unlikely to be it ).
Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #155
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

French Ligue 1 is on Setanta I believe
Old 07-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #156
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh well, not like I watched much of that anyway.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #157
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
*waves to Anxiety, grinning*

Bastard!

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #158
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

your point?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #159
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
French Ligue 1 is on Setanta I believe

Tres boring. Although I found the 70s era end of match graphics from French TV amusing.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #160
Critch
lolzcat

FSC should pick up the Russian league. It's competitive, there are a lot of imports now since every team seems to have an oil billionaire behind them now, and, most importantly, it's a summer league so they'd have something to show during the dead months.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #161
daedalus
Pro Rookie

GolTV has ArsenalTV which makes them good.

Unfortunately, I do not have GolTV at hom.

I cry.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #162
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
GolTV has ArsenalTV which, on second thought, makes them worthy of dropping from my cable lineup.

I cry.

fixed

Last edited by ice4277 : 07-18-2006 at 11:07 AM.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #163
Critch
lolzcat

Bruce Arena to the New York Red Bulls. Looks like they're splashing the money around already.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #164
Butter
Coordinator

I guess this is the beginning of the attempt to bankrupt the MLS, a la NASL. Not that Arena is expensive, but I have heard some wild rumors about how willing the new NY owners are to spend lots and lots of money for a team that doesn't draw very well.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #165
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

How much could Arena really have cost?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #166
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

More than any other MLS coach, at the very least .

He made, what a $1 a year on the national side. I'm guess at least half that.

Though I disagree that this is going to turn the MLS into the NASL... I mean there is STILL a salary cap. And now more money, through the TV deal. Had to make a move at some point to do shore up the crappy Red Bulls before they move into the new stadium.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:20 PM   #167
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

And the league has a very big interest in seeing the NY squad succeed.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #168
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Beckham exception is going to be interesting next year..
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #169
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I guess this is the beginning of the attempt to bankrupt the MLS, a la NASL. Not that Arena is expensive, but I have heard some wild rumors about how willing the new NY owners are to spend lots and lots of money for a team that doesn't draw very well.

I think the current crop of owners are too savvy to let that happen. Red Bull aside, I don't think any of the other owners will do anything too ridiculous. So even if Red Bull broke the bank for a player or two, it won't set a trend in the league. And Red Bull certainly has the resources to do it, so going bankrupt isn't a concern.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #170
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And the Beckham exception only takes one guy off the salary cap. I expect for the lower revenue teams, they'll just take their highest paid player off and have some more room to work with for the supporting cast.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #171
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
The Beckham exception is going to be interesting next year..

He's still under contract for next year, I think 08-09 is the more likely arrival date for Beckham. Plus the Red Bulls stadium won't be open until then.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #172
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

But the Red Bulls can go out and get someone like Ronaldo this year.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #173
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
But the Red Bulls can go out and get someone like Ronaldo this year.

or Zidane?

There actually are some rumors floating around of him going to the US.
I really don't see it happening, but you never know...
Old 07-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #174
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Zidane? That would make an interesting headline...

Zizou Retires From Top Level Competetive Football, Joins MLS

Last edited by tanglewood : 07-18-2006 at 04:22 PM.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #175
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

lol
Old 07-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #176
MIJB#19
Coordinator

How far developed are MLS' tv rights, gate money and sponsorship contracts right now? How stable is it that a team could pay big enough figures to draw players away from big money on top of playing in the most prestige annual tournament (UEFA Champions' League) there is right now?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #177
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The problem is, we're still single-entity, MIJB.. the owners of the teams aren't really owners, they're owner/operators. The league shares profits/losses/etcetera

The so-called "Beckham exemption" (named for the guy it most gets associated with) would be each MLS team being allowed 1 or 2 players that would not count against our salary cap. The team has to pay the full amount tho, no expecting the league to do it.

Our next TV contract will pay $7.5 Million to the league for four years.

One nice thing is that there's going to be a new CONCACAF Champions Cup, featuring a lot of teams from US/Mexico, and that figures to do big business in gates.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:33 PM   #178
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I see, a loophole around the salary cap. That could work, but you still need to get the money somewhere. Is the MLS (in particular the NY franchise) ready to pay multiple million dollars to one player and not go bankrupt?

do you think a CONCACAF tournament could work? I mean, you have two big leagues and basically nothing else in that zone. Would people pay to see a USA-Mexico battle all the time? Maybe it's wiser to join the CONMEBOL tournaments? I know that happens already to a small degree, but I'm talking about the Copa Libertadores, not the second tier tournaments. Or are the South American associations not interested?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #179
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, is it still totally "single entity" with Red Bull and Chivas involved in the league? Are Red Bull and Chivas part of the single group, or are they seperate? I thought that was the goal?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #180
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They're still single entity, just RBNY is pledging a lot of money to boost their team.

Also, the Concacaf Champions Cup will have a Group Stage before knockouts and will have at least 16 teams, believe at least half of them (8-9?) from US/Mexico, the rest from Central America, the Caribbean, etcetera
Old 07-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #181
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
I see, a loophole around the salary cap. That could work, but you still need to get the money somewhere. Is the MLS (in particular the NY franchise) ready to pay multiple million dollars to one player and not go bankrupt?

do you think a CONCACAF tournament could work? I mean, you have two big leagues and basically nothing else in that zone. Would people pay to see a USA-Mexico battle all the time? Maybe it's wiser to join the CONMEBOL tournaments? I know that happens already to a small degree, but I'm talking about the Copa Libertadores, not the second tier tournaments. Or are the South American associations not interested?

Red Bull is capable, and apparently willing, of fronting the money since they'd probably view it as a marketing expense. Not sure about the other teams' owners, although someone like Robert Kraft of New England could certainly afford it. It would just be whether the desire, or business case, was there.

I think the winner of the MLS Cup was invited to participate in the Copa a few years back and MLS declined. There has been talk of the US playing in the next Copa Sudamerica. Whether that happens or not will probably depend on the new coach.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:58 AM   #182
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19

The simplest way of putting it is that the league as a whole has lost over $350 million dollars during it's existence and outside investor interest is still higher than ever. Everyone realizes this will work, but it's just a matter of time. If people weren't committed you wouldn't have seen the number of new franchises popping up or Red Bull come in and buy a team.

As the stadium situation improves (it's already improved a lot, and a number of brand new soccer stadiums will open between now and 2010), the finances will improve greatly. Still, will all that being said TV money is not a big factor at all right now. And the salary cap is so low that I think it could be pretty damaging if they make a "Beckham exception" without dramatically increasing the overall team caps as well (say, moving them from $2 million per team to at least $5 million per team).

Soccer faces an uphill climb in the US because of a vicous cycle:
  • You don't get your highlights shown a lot = it's hard to get fans to your game
  • no fans at the game = games look and sound unexciting on TV
  • because the games look and sound boring = the press isn't interested in covering your games seriously
  • back to step 1
The funny thing is that as "bad" as people think MLS is doing, the attendance numbers are barely any lower than the NHL. Yet there is a huge difference in perception.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 07-19-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #183
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Cannavaro and Emerson are both confirmed to Madrid. Sergio Ramos probably will see regular time at right back instead of in the middle of the defense. Emerson gives them a true, top class defensive midfielder, something they haven't had since selling Makelele (coincidentally the last year they won anything).

Madrid should be much improved defensively with Cannavaro running things and La Liga should be dominated by Real and Barca this season.

The rest of the major transfer stuff is still all rumor at this point.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #184
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

if i had a few million lying around i would be tempted to get an MLS franchise. getting in on the ground floor has made the original AFL owners filthy rich.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:29 AM   #185
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo
Cannavaro and Emerson are both confirmed to Madrid. Sergio Ramos probably will see regular time at right back instead of in the middle of the defense. Emerson gives them a true, top class defensive midfielder, something they haven't had since selling Makelele (coincidentally the last year they won anything).
Nah, I would expect Woodgate will be hurt sooner than later and then Ramos will be back in the middle with Cicinho out wide.
Quote:
Madrid should be much improved defensively with Cannavaro running things and La Liga should be dominated by Real and Barca this season.
They're going to be a whole hell of a lot better, that's for sure. Cannavaro and Emerson protecting Casillas is yummy.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 AM   #186
AlexB
Pro Starter

Thuram and Zambrotta to Barca for £13m combined fee. Great deal for Barca.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:38 AM   #187
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Thuram and Zambrotta to Barca for £13m combined fee. Great deal for Barca.

Barca and Madrid are pulling away from the pack, that's for sure.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:38 AM   #188
Joe
Pro Starter

excellent
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:01 AM   #189
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

The rest of the major transfer stuff is still all rumor at this point.

A defensive middfielder is exactly what Madrid needed, i'm looking forward for the start of the season.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #190
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Barca and Madrid are pulling away from the pack, that's for sure.

Barca especially. Their defense was their only (relative) weakness, and Zambrotta especially ought to help with that. Thuram should also be an improvement, as long as he can stay near his WC form, but I think they were a bit stronger in central defence than at fullback.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #191
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Barca especially. Their defense was their only (relative) weakness, and Zambrotta especially ought to help with that. Thuram should also be an improvement, as long as he can stay near his WC form, but I think they were a bit stronger in central defence than at fullback.

Agree, a backline of Zambrotta, Marquez, Thuram, Belletti, with Edmilson sitting ahead of them looks pretty damn good to me. Now they just need to get a beter keeper than Valdes, who is decent but not that reliable, and they have just about a perfect team.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #192
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Their backline is actually even better than that - remember Puyol? I think Chelsea have a slightly better defence (Cech & Makelele versus Valdes & Edmilson is a noticeable advantage), but given how ridiculous Barca's offence can be it's tough to remember a better team.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:35 PM   #193
Joe
Pro Starter

this is what we are looking at this season, I am so pumped.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #194
Desnudo
Coordinator

Their second team would challenge for the league title.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #195
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Appeal verdict will be announced in Italian Soccer Clubs case shortly. Thoughts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_yl...ters&type=lgns
Old 07-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #196
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I don't see any let-off coming here, any changes will be minor (maybe -25 instead of -30 for Juve)
Old 07-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #197
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit, if this is true, then they did get a HUGE let off.

(this is per a couple posts on Big Soccer)

Juve serie b -17
Fiorentina serie a -19
Lazio serie a -11
MIlan serie a -8, CL preliminaries.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #198
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
this is what we are looking at this season, I am so pumped.

I'll take the Houston Dynamo thank you very much.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #199
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Holy shit, if this is true, then they did get a HUGE let off.

(this is per a couple posts on Big Soccer)

Juve serie b -17
Fiorentina serie a -19
Lazio serie a -11
MIlan serie a -8, CL preliminaries.

I thought Milan were still out of the CL.

In any case, yes, this is a huge difference - Juve's odds of winning promotion just doubled and Milan now have an outside shot at the title. Lazio and Fiorentina probably won't get into Europe next year, but just being in Serie A will be huge (especially for Lazio, given their financial situation).
Old 07-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #200
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's a link to an Italian paper that pretty much confirms what has already been posted. It also appears that no one will be awarded the Scudetto for last season.

hxxp://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Altro_Calcio/Primo_Piano/2006/07_Luglio/25/lancetto.shtml
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-25-2006 at 02:42 PM.
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote