Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

American Idol 2007

Figured I would start the thread now since the premiere is on Tuesday. Here's the early season schedule, FYI:

Jan. 16 (premiere, 8-10pm): Minneapolis
Jan. 17 (8-10): Seattle, WA
Jan. 23 (8-9): Memphis, TN
Jan. 24 (9-10): New York, NY
Jan. 30 (8-9): Birmingham, AL
Jan. 31 (9-10): San Antonio, TX
Feb. 6 (8-9): Los Angeles, CA
Feb. 7 (9-10): “Rest of the Best” Special Audition Show
Feb. 13 (8-9) Hollywood Round
Feb. 14 (9-10): Hollywood Round - Top 24 Chosen

Oh, and Olivia Newton-John (obvious Grease reality show tie-in), Jewel, and songwriter Carol Bayer-Sager are the scheduled guest judges this year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Oh, and Olivia Newton-John (obvious Grease reality show tie-in), Jewel, and songwriter Carol Bayer-Sager are the scheduled guest judges this year.
The Grease reality show is on another network, so I wonder if it really is a tie-in. If both shows are produced by the same people, then I guess it could happen. Just out of curiosity, is that the case?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Ksyrup

You're right. I have no idea if they are produced by the same people. I was thinking of the tie-in from DoND and Grease that first night. Nevermind.

At least there's no Barry Manilow, although - after his performance on that celeb singing show - I'm sorely disappointed Little Richard isn't on the schedule. I think he'd steal the spotlight, though, and the 3 "stars" can't have that.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Drake
assmaster

So, is this American Idol thing a new show? Is it anything like Deal or No Deal?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have a major infatuation with Jewel, or at least I did before she decided to go trashy. Anyway, Mrs. Eaglesfan and I are looking forward to this season as much as any of them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I always get hooked on the auditions. Every season I say I am just gonna watch the auditions then get hooked on it.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Why won't this show just go away...and why does it always have to run during 24 so all I ever see is previews for it during 24...
Old 01-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I always get hooked on the auditions. Every season I say I am just gonna watch the auditions then get hooked on it.

I'm actually the opposite, I miss the auditions, or if I do catch them, I turn them off right away. But I usually watch the last few episodes.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I'm actually the opposite, I miss the auditions, or if I do catch them, I turn them off right away. But I usually watch the last few episodes.

I'm opposite of many people in a different way. I love the auditions, but for spotting the talent. Most people love it because they get to see the awful auditions. I like to pick a favorite from the beginning.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Ksyrup

The awful auditions are getting to be pretty obviously faked. Watching the audition for that Grease show, there was only one truly bad one, and it looked like an old man dressed in drag. All of these idiots are ruining the auditions for those of us who love seeing legitimately untalented people who honestly believe they are worthy of appearing on the show.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
The awful auditions are getting to be pretty obviously faked. Watching the audition for that Grease show, there was only one truly bad one, and it looked like an old man dressed in drag. All of these idiots are ruining the auditions for those of us who love seeing legitimately untalented people who honestly believe they are worthy of appearing on the show.

Correction, the producers are ruining the auditions by airing all the idiots rather than the unknowingly untalented.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I'm opposite of many people in a different way. I love the auditions, but for spotting the talent. Most people love it because they get to see the awful auditions. I like to pick a favorite from the beginning.

I like them for this reason as well
Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Correction, the producers are ruining the auditions by airing all the idiots rather than the unknowingly untalented.

I agree last season it got a little stupid ( remember the kid dressed like the statue of liberty?) I am curious to see if they tighten up the reigns this season.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- this must be some kind of record, 13 posts into an American Idol thread and not one by JBMagic
Old 01-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

That is my main reason for enjoying the auditions as well. Mrs. Eaglesfan likes them more to laugh at the bad acts. I think I picked Katharine McPhee to win it all from her audition last year.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-11-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I agree with EF, something about Jewel awhile back infactuated me. Haven't seen her in quite some time though.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #17
Easy Mac

Just so people know, the final 12 are announced march 8.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I have a major infatuation with Jewel, or at least I did before she decided to go trashy.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, except after she went "trashy".
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #19
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I agree last season it got a little stupid ( remember the kid dressed like the statue of liberty?) I am curious to see if they tighten up the reigns this season.

As far as I have read, no, it remains mostly bad auditions sprinkled in with the good.

Here's some general info on the upcoming season to whet the appetite for tonight (taken from MJ's Big Blog, which is hands-down the best spoiler info on the net):

USA Today reports that American Idol producers have finally secured permission to perform songs from the Beatles catalog–a big coup for the show. Says executive producer, Ken Warwick, “We’ve got the permission. [from Sony, which owns the publishing rights] Certain songs are still off limits.” But, ”They said, ‘Tell us what songs you want and we will do our best.’ ”

They should get enough songs cleared to do a theme week. Warwick thinks the Beatles theme may be performed by the Top 12 finalists.

Ideally, Paul McCartney or George Martin would appear on the show to mentor the kids, but that’s still merely an item on the producer’s wish list.

A couple more items from the USA Today article:
  • The online competition to write the “coronation” song for the next Idol is in the final stages of being put into place. A group of “experts” would choose around 100 songs that fans could listen to and vote for online. During the season, Idol would hold a special in which former Idol singers would perform “10 or so” of the favorites, with viewers voting to pick two songs for the Top 12.
  • During Top 6 week, according to Warwick, “…we’re going to have a big special, with lots of stars. It might be an extra day [during the week].”
Old 01-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #20
wade moore
lolzcat

This will be a few weeks where I watch it if my TiVO catches it, but if something is higher priority, i don't care..

Up until last season I only watched for the joke people, then stopped watching.. last season I kept on through the whole season and imagine the joke people will drive me crazy.. as it is such a large majority of them are obviously just looking to get on tv... the fun ones are the ones you can tell actually think they're good, but there are less and less of them..

it is fun to pick out people early, buty it seemed to me last season that a lot of the finalists you didn't see or barely saw early on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
path12
Coordinator

Last year I stopped watching the auditions and started when the Hollywood episodes began. Enjoyed it much more that way for some reason.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #22
Rizon
Pro Starter

Dunno if I can get into it this year. If there is not another McPhee then I just won't watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #23
kingfc22
Head Coach

How does this show continue to survive? It's not like any of the winners have done ANYTHING with their careers outside of Clarkson.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #24
MJ4H
Coordinator

and, oh, carrie underwood?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #25
MJ4H
Coordinator

by the way, can i wear the colombian girl as a hat?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #26
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
and, oh, carrie underwood?

Dating a guy who can't hold a snap on a chip-shot field goal in the playoffs doesn't count.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #27
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That girl should have acted like a Lion and ate Seacrest. The show would be better off.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #28
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Dating a guy who can't hold a snap on a chip-shot field goal in the playoffs doesn't count.

does winning country music newcomer of the year count?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #29
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Hasn't Fantasia sold a buttload of records? I don't listen to that kind of music but most of my students like her
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #30
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

And who the hell gave that big blonde girl a degree in vocal peformance? She had to be lying
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #31
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
by the way, can i wear the colombian girl as a hat?

My wife called her a whore.

Translation - "You probably find her attractive so, I'm letting you know right now that you best not say anything because you've already made your Jewel comments for the night"
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #32
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
Hasn't Fantasia sold a buttload of records? I don't listen to that kind of music but most of my students like her

First album was 1.7m, second album 230k
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #33
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Daughtry's album seems to be doing ok. Still at #3 after being out for 7 weeks.

Taylor Hicks's album dropped to #47 after 2 weeks. Still don't know how Hicks won...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #34
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Daughtry's album seems to be doing ok. Still at #3 after being out for 7 weeks.

Taylor Hicks's album dropped to #47 after 2 weeks. Still don't know how Hicks won...

The last I saw Daughtry was at almost 1.2m units and Hicks was cracking 500k
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #35
cuervo72
Head Coach

Didn't like the Colombian girl when I had my back to the TV. After turning around, I like her a bit more.

One brunette who went through looked a *little* like Alyssa Milano to me. Enough to remind me of her anyway.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-16-2007 at 10:36 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #36
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Am I a horrible person because I thought the crack baby sucked?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #37
st.cronin
General Manager

Somebody please post pics of the Columbian piece.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:52 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Am I a horrible person because I thought the crack baby sucked?

I thought she was awefull but my fiance informed me I just don't appreciate her style.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #39
Ksyrup

I thoroughly enjoyed the brunette with curly hair. She's my early favorite.

BTW, you know you've been married long enough when you can make comments about how good some of the contestants look and your wife doesn't get upset, she just laughs and shakes her head. Ten years ago, I'd have bruises up and down my arm.

That Columbian chick was half-cute, half-Charo, all annoying. Yet another reason to avoid Miami.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-17-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #40
Rizon
Pro Starter

I made it through the first 45 minutes and decided this show wasn't for me anymore. I fell asleep, bored of all the actors and overdramatization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thoroughly enjoyed the brunette with curly hair. She's my early favorite.

BTW, you know you've been married long enough when you can make comments about how good some of the contestants look and your wife doesn't get upset, she just laughs and shakes her head. Ten years ago, I'd have bruises up and down my arm.

That Columbian chick was half-cute, half-Charo, all annoying. Yet another reason to avoid Miami.

I guess it is good I got a punch in the arm when I commented on Jewel looking good

Did anyone else think they showed less of the purposefully bad last night? I think a few of them were acts (such as the Urban Amish guy or whatever he was calling himself) but it seemed like more people who really thought they had a chance but just sucked.

As far as the Columbian chick, she was cute, but I think she has very little chance of advancing far. I think the 16 year old self proclaimed crack baby has a good chance of advancing to at least the final 24, but I didn't really like her vocally.

Oh yeah, the brunette with curly hair was my favorite of the night too.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The Colombian chick did absolutely nothing for me. I mean absolutely nothing. She can do a decent vocal impression of Shakira, which I guess is OK, but she doesn't have Shakira's, er, physical attributes. That's not good. Bleagh.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #43
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

The rocker guy near the end was great. The gravelly Barry Manilow bit was hilarious.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #44
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Did anyone else think they showed less of the purposefully bad last night? I think a few of them were acts (such as the Urban Amish guy or whatever he was calling himself) but it seemed like more people who really thought they had a chance but just sucked.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised, although I would have liked more emphasis on the successful ones. I guess that comes during Hollywood Week, though. And I'm sure that I'll get sick of most of them early on, so maybe it's a good thing I don't see too much of them right now.

The Amish guy was clearly an actor, but I enjoyed the clueless people, especially the last couple. The AI Biggest Fan and the dork who juggled while doing some sort of singing...those two were real. I blame their family and friends for not giving them a dose of reality - it's one thing to encourage a loved one to take chances, reach for the stars, etc., but it's another to sit there idly (no pun intended) while they make a fool of themselves on national TV and are so unprepared for a negative reaction that they get angry, indignant, or are just in a state of disbelief. I guess there's a fine line between being supportive and being a realist, and these people missed the boat by a wide margin.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #45
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I guess I was in the mood but that show cracked me up last night.

Anyone notice that Paula Abdul looked totally whacked out. At least more than usual. She couldn't sit still or form coherent words.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #46
Ksyrup

I've read that Seattle was considered by all the judges to be the worst auditions ever. I think I laughed more in the 1 minute preview at the end of last night's show than I did for last night's show.

Oh, and Paula has promised to be less forgiving/making excuses for the contestants this year and more "real" and harsh. Of course, she made no promises about whether she'd be whacked out or not.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #47
Ksyrup

BTW, for those who like spoilers, I highly recommend hxxp://mjsbigblog.com/categories/americanidol.

She recaps every episode, giving detailed info about what happened, and as we get nearer to the top 24, she'll have pics, bios, back stories of hopefuls that are not told on the show, and possible spoiler info about who makes it (she, or people she knows, scan URL registration sites and insider info for tips on who makes it). Reading her blog in conjunction with watching the auditions/Hollywood Week was the most interesting part of the season last year for me.

Oh, and here's the chick eaglefan27 and I enjoyed the most from last night...

Sarah Krueger, 19 Eau Claire, WI is the 7th and final contestant to advance to Hollywood tonight. And she makes it through because…are you ready? She can sing. That’s it. No backstory, just a great voice. She performs a confident, soaring version of “Over the Rainbow” and the judges put her through. Who’da thunk it.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #48
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I've read that Seattle was considered by all the judges to be the worst auditions ever. I think I laughed more in the 1 minute preview at the end of last night's show than I did for last night's show.

Oh, and Paula has promised to be less forgiving/making excuses for the contestants this year and more "real" and harsh. Of course, she made no promises about whether she'd be whacked out or not.

I was almost reduced to tears during the preview for seattle. The best line ever has to be and I don't even have it right I don't think: "What are you something that lives in the jungle." or words to that effect to the guy that looked a little like brian peppers who is apparantly buddies with the fat kid.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #49
JeeberD
General Manager

The show was worth it for Jewel alone. I'm hoping she's on tonight's episode as well.

I'm looking forward to the San Antonio audition. There's a guy from the rockets board who tried out and made it in front of the judges...he thinks he might have a chance of making it on-air.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #50
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I was almost reduced to tears during the preview for seattle. The best line ever has to be and I don't even have it right I don't think: "What are you something that lives in the jungle." or words to that effect to the guy that looked a little like brian peppers who is apparantly buddies with the fat kid.

I'm hoping somebody mentions Marty Feldman during Bug Eyes' audition.