Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3kt6kASppmk

I've watched that clip 356 times.
oh my shit
Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #452
Drake
assmaster

And people said I never gave anything worthwhile to this board.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #453
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And people said I never gave anything worthwhile to this board.

Nice!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #454
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
oh my shit

3 and a half hours until I'm home from work. Is this something I would've seen if I watched Idol last season? I seem to remember a quick panty shot...or is this something completely new and different?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #455
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The way Tyra is sitting on that couch, with the shoes off and everything, reminds me of that Keenan Ivory Wayans talk show spoof where he's sitting in all different positions listening intently to whomever is speaking.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #456
Drake
assmaster

It's Tyra Banks fondling McPhee's boobs.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #457
Ksyrup

Between that video and the multiple shots of her barefoot on the show last year (something about a barefoot chick...), she will never be topped. NEVER.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #458
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It's Tyra Banks fondling McPhee's boobs.

Thank you, you've managed to make the next 2+ hours very painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Between that video and the multiple shots of her barefoot on the show last year (something about a barefoot chick...), she will never be topped. NEVER.

I know where this is going. When you say you admire a barefoot chick, you're saying you love sucking toes, aren't you? You foot fetish people are sick.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #459
Ksyrup

No, it wasn't going there. At least, I had no intention of taking it there.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #460
MJ4H
Coordinator

That's HOT
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #461
Logan
Head Coach

Follow-up...the really explicit pics of Antonella are definitely not her, as the entire package of pictures has hit the internet and it's a different girl. A different, talented, whore of a girl.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #462
Critch
lolzcat

So they're meant to dedicate a song to whoever inspires them. First guy up talks about being on leave from the Navy then dedicates "I Aint Missing You At All" to them. Next guy up dedicates "Let's Get It On" to his mom and dad.

Strange messages to be sending.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #463
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm really starting to like Chris Sligh.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #464
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post

I think most of us always have.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #465
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well I'm on record in this thread as having him as a favorite, but my opinion is getting stronger in this direction every week.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #466
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well I'm on record in this thread as having him as a favorite, but my opinion is getting stronger in this direction every week.

I just got to his performance. Very good.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #467
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Just watched Blake. He was one of my tops to start but is doing even better than expected tonight as well.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #468
Drake
assmaster

Holy shit! Someone replaced Sundance with a pod person who could sing.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #469
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Holy shit! Someone replaced Sundance with a pod person who could sing.

He was my top after the original auditions, but has had trouble since (I'm still on Chris so I haven't seen him tonight yet).

Old 02-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #470
Thomkal
Head Coach

Better than last week but not "wow, much better" to me. Some weird song choices like Fever and Time after Time plus some songs I've never heard before. And of course there's Sanjaya. He really needs to go.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #471
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

So are two gone this week? In which case hopefully Sanjay and... Nick Pedro?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #472
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Better than last week but not "wow, much better" to me. Some weird song choices like Fever and Time after Time plus some songs I've never heard before. And of course there's Sanjaya. He really needs to go.

You have to know the songs to figure out if they sing well?

Old 02-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #473
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Sanjay wont be gone, but he was awful and needs to be voted out. He is too cute and young though.... old people will vote for him. I think Nick and AJ will be voted out. They are too forgettable.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #474
Ksyrup

I've never heard that Jason Mraz song before, but I was 180 degrees from the judges on that one - I thought Chris Richardson was terrible. He was behind the song, ahead of it, pitchy as hell, couldn't hit the falsetto notes when he tried, even the chorus when he was singing with the backups sounded like he (or maybe they) were off. I hated it - but even Simon liked it. Huh.

Sanjaya has a really nice voice but damn, he has less stage presence than me. And 2 bizarre song choices in a row. He's making John Stevens from a couple of years ago look like a star by comparison. Easily the most overmatched contestant this show has ever had.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #475
Ksyrup

Dola.

If I'm voting, Sanjaya and AJ should be gone. And Nick Pedro should be traded to the Grease audition show, where he'd make a fine supporting actor doing that Greased Lightning song in the high school garage.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #476
adubroff
High School JV

I thought Svenjaya was the weakest but wouldn't be shocked if he survived. The mixer of the show is doing no favors for him, they could bring up his mike a little since he sings with no strength.

I think AJ was the second worst.

Big night for Sundance who showed he's got the skills to contend. Chris with another strong night and Blake as well. I was impressed with Jared as well.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #477
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I agree that I thought Chris was awful, and was shocked that everybody loved him. Blake was fabulous and so was the bald Navy guy. Both are my favorites
Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #478
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

When this competition is finished, about three months from now, I think we're going to appreciate this group of guys. Even if it's hard to assess and ranges all over the place. They're challenging the very concept of what is and what isn't an American Idol, and I appreciate the staff for making these casting decisions.

Of course, not a one of them stands a chance of winning, with all those lovely and talented black ladies ready and willing to belt out more conventional hits.

On to the week 2, male singer ratings:

1. Chris Richardson. Yes, he blew the high note. But it was a difficult, rangy song, and as annoying as it for me to admit this, the boy band guy gets top marks once again. And I hate Timberlake and everything he stands for. Score of 87.

2. Blake Lewis. A poor finish to an effortless and interesting performance. I wonder what's in store from him each week, and that, more than anything else, shows me there's a lot of talent there. Score of 86.

3. Nick Pedro. At this time, he seems to be a one-trick pony, but there's a reason that stuff was so popular in its day and I'm looking forward to seeing his take on more modern songs (if he survives, which is a long shot). He's better at that soft, crooning style than others who have tried in the past. Score of 75.

4. A.J. Tabaldo. Yes, it was another relatively weak week, as the guys are finding their niches. This was an incredibly difficult song, and I thought he did a good job. Score of 69.

5. Sanjaya Malakar. It would be easy to dismiss this kid at this point, because there's nothing Idol about him. He has a remarkable ear, though, and I'm going to insist on judging the singing rather than how the song relates to what's popular today. I wouldn't pay to see or hear this song again, but he did exactly what he set out to do. I'll refrain from crude jokes about Michael Jackson being willing to move back from Bahrain for a shot at him. Score of 66.

6. Sundance Head. Okay, I know all the Schmidties out there are just frothing at the keyboard (especially after the Wolverines just knocked the Sparties back a peg or two). What am I thinking? He had the energy. He had the crowd going. And that's part of Idol, part that I don't factor in very heavily. Just look at how I rated last year's winner (11th out of 24). I thought Jason paid no attention to pitch and chose a very simple song. Score of 65.

7. Jared Cotter. Cop out. I yawned, I stretched. I played with the cat. Score of 63.

8. Phil Stacy. Like Simon said, very good karaoke. He was generous. Score of 57.

9. Chris Sligh. Very average overall. There were a couple of good riffs, and more than a few bum notes. I'm liking this guy less and less. Until he puts the work in, he will never be good. Score of 54.

10. Brandon Rogers. It's easy to see where he went wrong this week. I think he'll be back next week in force, if the voters will have him. Too bad you don't get mulligans in this game (unless you're Sundance). Score of 46.

Who should go: Chris Sligh and Sundance.

Who will go: Nick and Brandon.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #479
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I want Chris to do well so his wife is on more.. she's kinda snicky...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:14 AM   #480
Fouts
College Starter

I'm getting tired of the boy band guy bobbing his head all the time. Very annoying. I enjoyed Sundance and Blake this week. Any of the guys I have to strain to hear (AJ, Nick, Sanjaya) could go home now... thanks.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #481
Schmidty
Coordinator

Wow.

I might put Jim on ignore just because of that shot, and because I honestly think he's tone deaf (as a singer/musician).

Actually, I think I'l just start a list of my top 5, and I will try to not make any comments (because I'm lazy):

1. Blake Lewis

2. Chris Sligh

3. Sundance Head

4. Phil Stacey

5. Chris Richardson (One comment - I hated that song)

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-28-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:44 AM   #482
wade moore
lolzcat

My rankings of last nights performances would be almost dead on with Solecismic, except that I felt more of Chris Sligh and I'd bump Sunjaya down because stage presense/performance are more important to me...

But I thought Richardson and Blake were clearly the best, and I already want to root for Richardson because he's a local kid - do that helps.

I have to echo something he said about Blake too... There's not a person on this show that I anticipate more than him... to see what the heck he's going to do each time he takes the stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 AM   #483
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
You have to know the songs to figure out if they sing well?

Of course not. But when I know a song I can at least compare the two versions. And people picking lesser known songs have generally not fared well in Idol, though I don't think either of the two I didn't know-Chris and Blake's songs are in danger of being eliminated.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #484
cuervo72
Head Coach

I really think there's something to that. Many times my wife has commented that she doesn't know what to make of a performance because she doesn't know the song and has no frame of reference. I'm more or less the same way. I think it just puts an extra barrier there...more effort into figuring out the words, figuring out the song, figuring out what it is you're listening to rather than just focusing on the singer. It's like that with new music too - even from established artists, it can take a few times to really digest a new song. You begin to like it the more you hear it. On AI, I think if the contestant picks a song that is already someone's favorite, you're starting with off better with that voter.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #485
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Of course not. But when I know a song I can at least compare the two versions. And people picking lesser known songs have generally not fared well in Idol, though I don't think either of the two I didn't know-Chris and Blake's songs are in danger of being eliminated.

You didn't know the Jamiriquai(sp?!) song? It was rather peopular like 10 years ago.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #486
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I really think there's something to that. Many times my wife has commented that she doesn't know what to make of a performance because she doesn't know the song and has no frame of reference. I'm more or less the same way. I think it just puts an extra barrier there...more effort into figuring out the words, figuring out the song, figuring out what it is you're listening to rather than just focusing on the singer. It's like that with new music too - even from established artists, it can take a few times to really digest a new song. You begin to like it the more you hear it. On AI, I think if the contestant picks a song that is already someone's favorite, you're starting with off better with that voter.

It can kill people sometimes too. I can't remember how many times we've heard, "The original was just so much better" from the judges.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #487
cuervo72
Head Coach

Very true, it's a double-edged sword. You either have to sing it really well, or put a unique spin on it that doesn't kill it.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #488
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My idol story:

Last year I went to Columbia, SC for weapons training before going to Africa. Few of us knew each other. There were two other people from my command and I didn't even know them.

Our first official gathering or meeting came that Sunday evening before training. We were called down from our barracks to the chapel and it was the first time we saw each other, generally speaking.

Late walking through the door was...man, someone special. This poor guy...I just couldn't describe him accurately. He walks into the standing room only chapel and strides to the front, wearing a Takeo Spikes Bills jersey. By the way he's wearing it, he either had no shoulders or someone stole them. Poor Darryl also had a shaved head and glasses that were way too big for him. Darryl then looks up and down each pew for an open spot. Finding none, he stands in the middle of the doorway, folds his arms, and announces, "Fine, whatever."

"Wow," I said to my newly made friends. He's got winner written all over him.

Fast forward about 2-3 hours. Three of us are attempting to play spades. Darryl shows up and asks to play.

During the game, the other two players are discussing music, in broad way...Do you like this band, that band, every band. Not knowing much about music, I stay out of it. Darryl, on the other hand, keeps trying to throw some classical music into the discussion and is laughed at.

Near the end, the discussion becomes a cutdown party. The line from "40 year old Virgin" comes in.

"Do you know how I know you're gay? You like Cold Play." said one.
"Do you know how I know you're gay? You have the American Idol soundtracks." said the other.

"I tried out for American Idol," Darryl responds, "But they told me I was too old."

Ever since, I've been tempted to review the previous season audition shows. He had to have been on one of them.

Darryl turned out to be an electronics technician like I am and worked in the same shop. I could talk all day long about the things that guy said or did while he was there.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #489
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You didn't know the Jamiriquai(sp?!) song? It was rather peopular like 10 years ago.

Hell, I'm 36 and collect Star Wars figures and even I knew that song...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #490
Ksyrup

I thought he did a pretty good job of it. When Seacrest mentioned it on the way to the commercial break I thought it was a great song for him to do.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #491
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Solemistic... that review was awful. Sanjaya and AJ top five? are you kidding? And there is no way Brandon will go home, he is too cute and modest.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #492
Ksyrup

Technically speaking, I think Sanjaya gave the best pure vocal performance last night. He hit every note spot-on. The problem is that his delivery was weak (I mentioned to my wife that he sounded like he was whispering, and then Simon said the same thing) and his stage presence was nonexistent, and made worse by his outfit.

Speaking of which, I thought it was interesting that Sanjaya got called out for his outfit, then Simon turned around and told Nick Pedro he should have dressed the part. Perhaps the two of them should have switched clothes...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #493
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Technically speaking, I think Sanjaya gave the best pure vocal performance last night. He hit every note spot-on.

oof. no.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #494
Ksyrup

I beg to differ. Well, not beg. He's not worth THAT. But he was in tune the entire performance, which is something that can't be said for most of them. It's just that his performance and delivery sucked eggs.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #495
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
Solemistic...

Gold.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #496
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Technically speaking, I think Sanjaya gave the best pure vocal performance last night. He hit every note spot-on.
The problem was there was no range at all in the song and he sang it in almost a whisper. I could hit every note singing "Twinkle-Twinkle little star" in a whisper voice right now - that doesn't mean I would be any good for American idol.

I think you have to grade the delivery and the challenge of the song (as well an interest/compelling factor). With that in mind, I would go:

1. Blake Lewis - the only really compelling performer for the men. He always chooses challenging songs and is original. On voice, he's probably 4th - but he's top on the total package.
2. Chris Richardson - Tough song with a ton of range. Pulled it off.
3. Sundance Head - Showed the best voice (power and range) but still lacks something.
4. Chris Sligh - Most likeable and was on key in a somewhat rangy song.
5. Phil Stacy - John Waite is tough to sing and he did OK.
6. Nick Pedro - I like the crooner style and he picked a good song, but he lacks the talent to land in the top 5.
7. A.J. Tabaldo - Solid performance, but as Simon would say "Very forgettable".
8. Brandon Rogers - Has a good voice but chose a horrible song. Hope he makes it through, though, as I think he can get better and be a factor.
9. Jared Cotter - Even more forgettable than AJ and Ive struggled to even remember his song after the first two weeks. While he's not awful, he has no upside (or interest) so I'd rather just see him go.
14. Sanjaya Malakar - Atleast he's not forgettable For those giving him credit, it's akin to giving an Olympic gymnast a high mark for doing a solid technical handstand when everyone else is flipping around. There was no difficulty in his song and he lacked even a shred of stage presence. If you are going to sing a song that needs personality to even count, atleast give a little stage presence and get the crowd going (like Nick did). He can't win, is almost unwatchable and I can't think of one reason to keep him on the show (outside of the train wreck effect).

Last edited by Arles : 02-28-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #497
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
he was in tune the entire performance

No.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #498
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The problem was there was no range at all in the song and he sang it in almost a whisper. I could hit every note singing "Twinkle-Twinkle little star" in a whisper voice right now - that doesn't mean I would be any good for American idol.

Oh, I'm not saying he was any good, I'm just saying I didn't hear a ton of off-key notes like many of the others. Including Chris Richardson, who you rated #2. I thought he was terrible. I kept wincing throughout the entire performance. With Sanjaya, his vocals were the least of his problems. His delivery of his vocals was terrible, and his performance was lackluster and unispiring, and he looked ridiculous in those clothes, but it wasn't off-key vocals that made me wince. It was just everything else about him.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-28-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #499
MJ4H
Coordinator

I winced at least twice to out-of-tune notes. My memory tells me he was sharp both times, which can be overlooked by some people. When somone misses flat, it is much more noticeable.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #500
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

One of my top 5 songs of that year. I thought Blake did a very good job with it and he has vaulted to my favored singer of the guys. I still like Chris Sligh as well. All of the rest are just blah, although Sundance showed a lot of improvement this week.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote