Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #251
Easy Mac

Isn't that the first no-no in 2 or 3 years?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #252
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Fuck me - elbow tightness. Are the baseball gods really so cruel as to strike Felix down so early in his career, just as it seems he's ready to fulfill the enormous expectations heaped upon him? Has the Mariner's pitcher prospect injury curse struck yet again?

I drafted Felix to be my #2 pitcher in my fantasy league and was ripped by a couple of people for not going with safer picks such as Sabathia or Bonderman. Well, I looked like a genius his first two starts and had contemplated trading him thinking that his value wouldn't get any higher. I decided not to....
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:48 PM   #253
kingfc22
Head Coach

And Bonds goes yard to tie the game in the 8th for the Giants!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #254
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
For all that is holy, I'm hoping Felix's injury isn't anything arm-related.

Ping: Ryan Anderson!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:54 AM   #255
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Fuck me - elbow tightness. Are the baseball gods really so cruel as to strike Felix down so early in his career, just as it seems he's ready to fulfill the enormous expectations heaped upon him? Has the Mariner's pitcher prospect injury curse struck yet again?

That's why you don't kill an albatross on a long sea voyage, I thought?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:03 AM   #256
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Ping: Ryan Anderson!
Ryan was done in by a torn labrum, the worst possible injury for a pitcher. Sounds like Felix's issue is his elbow - no word yet on how bad it is.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #257
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Damn, that sucks.

And with Zambrano, I have never liked him. He's Bartolo Colon - certainly has the ability to be a great pitcher, but he's the kind of guy I would commit more than 3 years to. I just don't have any confidence in him being consistently good over a period of years.

I saw the last inning of the Buerhle no-hitter. Always a great spectacle to watch. I even didn't instinctively gag at the double "YES!" from those asshole White Sox announcers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #258
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And with Zambrano, I have never liked him. He's Bartolo Colon - certainly has the ability to be a great pitcher, but he's the kind of guy I would commit more than 3 years to. I just don't have any confidence in him being consistently good over a period of years.

That's just the opposite of what I thought of Zambrano. I think he's been really consistent- he's not quite a super-ace but the notch below, better than a 2 but not a super #1 (those guys who have that season in the mid 2's for ERA), and that's what you'll always get: 200 IP, 15 W, 200 K, 100 BB, and an ERA in the low 3's. His stats over the past 4 years have been very similar and for any pitcher in this day and age, that's saying something.

That said, there's always been the danger of him breaking down because he's been badly overworked those four years.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #259
Ksyrup

I see him as an overwight pitcher who will break down once he gets into his late 20s, early 30s. He might win the Cy YOung one year, but then he'll go down like Colon the next. Not the guy I'd want to put a ton of money behind for 5-7 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #260
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
And Bonds goes yard to tie the game in the 8th for the Giants!

That piece of shat!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #261
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Isn't that the first no-no in 2 or 3 years?

Anibal Sanchez of the Marlins threw one last September. But those two (last night's and Sanchez's) were the only two since Randy Johnson's perfect game in 2004.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-19-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #262
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I saw the last inning of the Buerhle no-hitter. Always a great spectacle to watch. I even didn't instinctively gag at the double "YES!" from those asshole White Sox announcers.

Hawk: The term is becoming more popular with posters, you didn't hear it too much in the past, but...Ksyrup is just a message board poster. And that is a tremendous compliment. Because there are some guys who post on the big boards who are really not message board posters. They're just either typists, o -- or, you know, good arguing trolls. But they're just not message board posters. They don't have real good instincts. [Skydog posts a message.] So here's Skydog. And I think that probably the "instincts" is the key word in being named a "message board poster."

DJ: I'd agree and also, I'll take it -- I'll add to that, in the fact that I look at a screen name when I sit there and say "He's just a message board poster," it's just somebody that can do everything out there. Just everything. Joke, get dirty, form sentences at all times, kind of "heads and above" the others that are out there. Not that they're not message board posters, but when you see Ksyrup, or anybody else -- like, if JeeberD, you know? Giving everything they have on the board, you just say, "Man, there's a message board poster!"
Old 04-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #263
DeToxRox
Head Coach

HE GONE
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #264
Logan
Head Coach

I know Zambrano has been sucking, but do we really think he's hurt? I have him and Felix on my squad (with Santana, Bonderman, and Beckett, so my pitching is stacked) but this would be a bad time to trade him when his value is low. Plus losing him and having Hernandez hurt would kill my strength.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #265
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Sounds a bit too much like what happened with Francisco Liriano last season. Hopefully not though.

Now that I think about it, Francisco first had soreness in his forearm last season.

Last edited by Ryche : 04-19-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #266
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Sounds a bit too much like what happened with Francisco Liriano last season. Hopefully not though.

Now that I think about it, Francisco first had soreness in his forearm last season.
I haven't really heard much on Liriano this year - any word on his recovery? Dude was brilliant last year, it would be a shame if he couldn't recover. That said, his delivery sure seemed destined to result in injury...
Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #267
Logan
Head Coach

Cleveland fans: might want to start picketing for the release of Borowski and the firing of Wedge.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #268
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A-Rod with another walk off as the Yanks come back from a 6-2 defecit in the 9th, all with two outs against the Indians.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #269
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Indians are vastly overrated. Love that "sexy" pick that never comes right.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #270
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm going to say that while I thought A-Rod would be MVP, this is sick. Dude is seriously going to push for the Triple Crown.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #271
Atocep
Coordinator

Good to see A-Rod's finally becoming a true Yankee. Maybe Jeter will graciously move over to 3rd to let A-Rod's newly found clutchness shine at the most important infield position.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #272
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Good to see A-Rod's finally becoming a true Yankee. Maybe Jeter will graciously move over to 3rd to let A-Rod's newly found clutchness shine at the most important infield position.

He could put up "Casey at the Bat" numbers, but if Mighty Alex strikes out in October, they'll still boo him.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #273
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I know Zambrano has been sucking, but do we really think he's hurt? I have him and Felix on my squad (with Santana, Bonderman, and Beckett, so my pitching is stacked) but this would be a bad time to trade him when his value is low. Plus losing him and having Hernandez hurt would kill my strength.

Something wasn't right last night with him. I saw his fastball hit 94 once and the rest were around 92. I saw him hand 4 breaking pitches in 2 innings and stopped counting there.

Could be a really bad day, could be a mechanical flaw, or he may just need the weather to warm up, but with his workload, I'm thinking there's something wrong with his arm.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #274
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:

What does "becoming a true Yankee" mean?
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #275
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
What does "becoming a true Yankee" mean?

Hitting game winning home runs, channeling your inner Yankee, playing like a winner, not wasting home runs in the 1st inning, make sure all your errors are before the 7th inning, having pyjama parties with Derek Jeter, and rating a 5 out of 5 in intangibles.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #276
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Hitting game winning home runs, channeling your inner Yankee, playing like a winner, not wasting home runs in the 1st inning, make sure all your errors are before the 7th inning, having pyjama parties with Derek Jeter, and rating a 5 out of 5 in intangibles.

Weird. My version was getting overpaid by a team with (almost) unlimited funds, and then taking it up the wazoo when your team doesn't win it all.

Yanks aren't winning it all this year with that pitching staff. Who will take the heat for it this year?
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #277
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Initial word from the M's after the team doctor examined Felix's elbow is that there doesn't appear to be any structural damage. Hopefully they're right, but I also hope they tread veeeeerrry carefully with him and give the elbow plenty of time to calm down. The long-term benefits of being cautious with him are orders of magnitude better than the short-term benefits of rushing him back.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #278
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Indians are vastly overrated. Love that "sexy" pick that never comes right.
You're writing off Cleveland after 12 games and a .500 record? O-kaaaaaay...
Old 04-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #279
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
Weird. My version was getting overpaid by a team with (almost) unlimited funds, and then taking it up the wazoo when your team doesn't win it all.

Yanks aren't winning it all this year with that pitching staff. Who will take the heat for it this year?

Don't kid yourself. Yankee fans will find a way to blame it all on A-Rod, even if he hits 80 HRs and has an OPS of 1.500, and continues on that pace in the playoffs.

Then they'll jeer as he takes the option to become a free agent and laugh as they unsuccessfully try to replace his bat.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #280
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
You're writing off Cleveland after 12 games and a .500 record? O-kaaaaaay...

I don't know...they don't have anything that even resembles a bullpen.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #281
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't know...they don't have anything that even resembles a bullpen.
Not true. Borowski is a weak closer and Hernandez is about done, but Cabrera and Betancourt are good relievers, Fultz is a decent lefty on lefty option and Miller is OK. If they need an immediate infusion of help, they could bring up Adam Miller and/or Chuck Lofgren, either of whom could provide a short-term boost to the 'pen (though both are currently starters). They also have enough talent in their minors to swing some deals for relief help.

Now, you could argue that Wedge should abandon Borowski as the closer and use Cabrera as the primary relief ace with Betancourt as his primary setup guy, but the pieces are there for a decent or better 'pen.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #282
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Not true. Borowski is a weak closer and Hernandez is about done, but Cabrera and Betancourt are good relievers, Fultz is a decent lefty on lefty option and Miller is OK. If they need an immediate infusion of help, they could bring up Adam Miller and/or Chuck Lofgren, either of whom could provide a short-term boost to the 'pen (though both are currently starters). They also have enough talent in their minors to swing some deals for relief help.

Now, you could argue that Wedge should abandon Borowski as the closer and use Cabrera as the primary relief ace with Betancourt as his primary setup guy, but the pieces are there for a decent or better 'pen.

I'll accept your analysis, as I'm sure you know the team better than me. But, IMO, if your closer (whoever it is now) sucks, your bullpen sucks. And it's always an "easier said than done" when it comes to throwing a new guy with potential into the closer role.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #283
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Felix is out 10-20 days with a "flexer pronator strain" according to the team doctor, the same injury that temporarily shelved M's closer J.J. Putz this Spring. It's about the best possible news for an elbow injury, so hopefully his diagnosis is correct and the team and Hernandez give the injury plenty of time to heal correctly.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #284
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Grand Theft Game by the Sox, who come back from down 6-2 in the 8th against Rivera to win 7-6.

Even a weak line out in the 9th can't make A-Rod a goat, 2 HR (one monster shot), 3 Extra Base hits, 3 Runs scored, 4 RBI
Old 04-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #285
Ksyrup

That's the storyline I want to see in every Yankees game this year - ARod lights it up, other Yankees blow the game. I hope ARod has a career year and then opts out of his deal - "I really want to play for a winner, so I think I better go elsewhere."
Old 04-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #286
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Rivera's green bars went down and the Yankees scout just noticed it.

WE BEAT THOSE FRIGGEN CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #287
SackAttack
Head Coach

So, uh, Tony Armas came into the game with a 7.88 career ERA at Dodger Stadium.

He left under 3 innings later with a 10.90 career ERA at the Ravine.

It can't possibly get worse than that, can it?
Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #288
Bad-example
College Starter

Russ Ortiz beat the DBacks tonight. He has looked pretty good so far. SF has some pretty good pitching this year.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #289
JeeberD
General Manager

Five wins in a row for the Astros (and eight of our last nine) to move into first in the NL Central! Yes, I know it's early but we need to get off to a good start if we're going to convince Roger to come back again...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:59 AM   #290
korme
Go Reds

I was at the Phils-Reds game tonight... Jon Lieber (5.2 IP, 1 HA, 1 BB, 0 ER) looked pretty good and that probably says more about the Reds offensive woes than anything. Kyle Lohse again looked outstanding for the Redlegs tonight, allowing the Phils' only run albeit unearned.

So here was the situation: 1-0 Phillies, bottom 9th, 2 outs, 0 on, Hatteberg up. Solo shot to RF. We're going extras!

And Flash Gordon just didn't have it in the 10th either giving up a bases loaded single to Brandon Phillips to give the ole Redlegs the victory. It was a great game to go to!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:15 AM   #291
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
So, uh, Tony Armas came into the game with a 7.88 career ERA at Dodger Stadium.

He left under 3 innings later with a 10.90 career ERA at the Ravine.

It can't possibly get worse than that, can it?

Brad Lidge would like to talk to you about that

He is just brutal. How long can you keep throwing him out there in the ninth inning when it's clear he just doesn't have it mentally right now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:30 AM   #292
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

He is just brutal. How long can you keep throwing him out there in the ninth inning when it's clear he just doesn't have it mentally right now.

I'm aware it can get worse in general. But in one place where you pitch something like 6 innings every 2-3 years...can't possibly go much higher...right?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #293
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Well, I don't think it was a save situation so I guess Garner thought that maybe the pressure wouldn't get to him.

I love the guy, but he's absolutely useless right now...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #294
SackAttack
Head Coach

I haven't had anything to do with it since the playoff game against the Cards, Jeebs!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #295
Easy Mac

So, do the Yankees hit Ortiz? Matsuzaka hit A-Rod in the first, but something tells me the Yankees could care less if A-Rod gets hit.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #296
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Boston goes back to back to back to back
Old 04-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #297
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And all four were 425 feet+ I think.

Only the 2nd time a single pitcher has given up four HR in a row.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #298
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fozzie...you're supposta be on AIM celebrating that with me right now
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #299
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah...i'd be curious to see...i think lowell's may have actually gone farther than manny's.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #300
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

That was crazy.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote