Pyser
Pro Rookie

zach parise is a fucking star.

a fucking star.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #402
MikeVic
Head Coach

Sorry Oiler fans, I started watching this game a few minutes ago.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #403
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, it looks like Niedermayer coming back fired up the Ducks tonight. Won the battle on the scoreboard and did a great job of sticking up for each other. Best performance of the year IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #404
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was just looking at Mark Recchi's career after it was announced he was placed on re-entry waivers. A few things struck me:

1. I have absolutely no recollection of Mark Recchi ever playing for Montreal. None. But apparently he was there for parts of 5 years.

2. In 1992-93, while with the Flyers, Recchi scored 53 goals and had 70 assists for 123 points. He was a +1. In 90-91, he had 113 points and had an even +/-, he had 97 points in 91-92 and was a -21, and in 93/-94 he had 107 points and was a -2. That's a a lot of power-play points.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #405
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Sorry Oiler fans, I started watching this game a few minutes ago.

Tell me about it...I was there watching it unfold right in front of me. In all honesty, we didn't deserve to be up 2-0 after two but to lose in that way after everything had gone "right" up until about the 10 minute mark of the third period really felt cruel. Oh well.

That was my first time seeing Crosby in person and boy, that kid is fast. Guys liken him to Gretzky but Gretz didn't have anywhere near the speed that Sid has. Also, when Malkin hits puberty he is going to be absolutely huge. We were sitting right at the glass behind the Pens' net (1st and 3rd periods) and I think Whitney on defense and Laraque were the only guys bigger than him on the ice...and that is saying something for a kid his age with the skill set he has. Boy, if they can keep those kids together in Pittsburgh they are going to be scary good!!!

One other note...Fleury just missed scoring a goal at the end of the game...puck came to him at the side of the net and he reared back and just couldn't quite get it over the last Oiler at their own blue line as he got enough of it to slow it down. All of this after Fleury "tripped" on the blue line coming out onto the ice after the second intermission...fans were on him about that and I'm sure he would've liked to score that one to shut them up.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #406
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hasek brings the pain
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #407
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Holy crap.

It's like he instinctively puts his hands out to break his fall, but he's too high up and just keeps going.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #408
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Old 12-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #409
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

[quote=Suburban Rhythm;1608554]And he's cleared...I doubt he is actually sent to WBS in the AHL. He'll be recalled soon, with hopes someone grabs him on re-entry waivers. I can't imagine who would. He's due $1.75M this year...so whatever the prorated portion of that is now... [quote]

Clearly your imagination has underestimated Don Waddell's penchant for overpaying guys who are well past their prime.

The Atlanta Thrashers claimed right winger Mark Recchi off re-entry waivers from the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday. The former all-star veteran had signed a one-year deal with the Penguins but received little ice time on a team dominated by younger players. He is scheduled to report to the Thrashers on Sunday. The Thrashers do not need to make a roster move, but are expected to do so in a few days.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #410
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Chicago lost its 4th straight by 2 or less

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #411
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

A trip to Detroit would cure what ails them
Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #412
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

Not trying to belittle your pain, but you realize by far most NHL games are won or lost by 2 or less.

I enjoyed watching Friday night's game. It was a fun up and down, high-scoring game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #413
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Avs beat St Louis 9-5 tonight.
They have one line - Stastny, Hejduk and Smyth - and that's it. The trio combined for 14 points this evening (Hejduk led the way with 6 points).

It was 6-2 after two periods, and Andy Murray pulled Toivonen and put in some guy up from Peoria (Marek Schwarz). The Blues score two goals in the first minute or so and suddenly it's a 2-goal game. So Murray puts Toivonen back in...Colorado scored 3 more to put the game away. Toivonen got pulled again after the Avs made it 8-4. And really, very few of the goals were really on him - the Blues looked awful on defense.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #414
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Chris Osgood is 14-1-1. Unreal.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #415
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

In tonight's 8-2 Flyer victory over the Pens...The Flyers had 58 minutes of penalties and the Pens had 98.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #416
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
In tonight's 8-2 Flyer victory over the Pens...The Flyers had 58 minutes of penalties and the Pens had 98.

Playoff series with those 2 would be fantastic...there'd be nobody left by game 4.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07346/840983-61.stm

Quote:
First, Philadelphia coach John Stevens accused the Penguins of being totally undisciplined after they received 81 penalty minutes in the third period of the Flyers' 8-2 victory at the Wachovia Center last night.

When his Penguins counterpart, Michel Therrien, was informed of Stevens' charge, he launched a caustic retort, pointing out that the Flyers had dispatched their No. 1 power play while holding a five-goal lead in the third period.

And when Therrien's postgame session with reporters ended, Flyers knuckle-dragger Ben Eager (0 points, 60 penalty minutes), whom Therrien passed in a corridor outside the Penguins' locker room, said to him, "You're a joke."

Therrien offered a two-word comeback, only the second half of which -- "you" -- is suitable for public consumption.

Consider the rivalry re-ignited. Not that it had been particularly dormant before last evening.

"Everyone knows there's one here," Penguins center Sidney Crosby said. "But it seems like it's escalated each game."

The antics during and after the game largely overshadowed hat tricks by Flyers forwards R.J. Umberger and Joffrey Lupul, the first time two Philadelphia players scored three goals each in a game since 1985...

The Flyers scored on three of 13 power-play chances, and spent much of the final period with the extra man. That led to Stevens' comments and the broadside Therrien fired back.

"Are we talking about the same team that has had five guys suspended this year?" Therrien said. "Is that the same team? It's a lack of respect, what [Stevens] did tonight.

Highlight of the game is Gary Roberts pummeling Ben Eager, who wouldn't go with Big Georges.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #417
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Eager is a joke. But what is a real joke is that Laraque is not going to get suspended for what he did to Biron. If a Flyer would have done that, everyone would be all over them.

Suburban...did you read Starkey's article on Recchi today in the Trib? All I can say is wow. I also heard an Edzo interview on XM radio. Edzo asked where he thought Recchi would go after being waived. Edzo said "I dont care about Mark Recchi...he is of no concern of me...I'll leave it at that." Recchi must be a real cancer in the locker room.

It was nice to see Pittsburgh native RJ Umberger get a hat trick. I really like him, but he didn't even get a star of the game.

1. Lupul...2. Richards...and 3. Crosby. Crosby had an assist and a -3 and he was a star. Give me a break.

I'm going to the game tomorrow against Ottawa in my company's box. Wonder how much stuff I would get thrown at me if I showed up with my Flyer hat on

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 12-12-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #418
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Eager is a joke. But what is a real joke is that Laraque is not going to get suspended for what he did to Biron. If a Flyer would have done that, everyone would be all over them.

Suburban...did you read Starkey's article on Recchi today in the Trib? All I can say is wow. I also heard an Edzo interview on XM radio. Edzo asked where he thought Recchi would go after being waived. Edzo said "I dont care about Mark Recchi...he is of no concern of me...I'll leave it at that." Recchi must be a real cancer in the locker room.

It was nice to see Pittsburgh native RJ Umberger get a hat trick. I really like him, but he didn't even get a star of the game.

1. Lupul...2. Richards...and 3. Crosby. Crosby had an assist and a -3 and he was a star. Give me a break.

I'm going to the game tomorrow against Ottawa in my company's box. Wonder how much stuff I would get thrown at me if I showed up with my Flyer hat on

How fast can you get an Eager jersey made? That would be classic.

I haven't read the Starkey article...but now I'll have to check it out.

And agree, Laraque was stupid. But, had the refs not lost control of that game, none of that happens.

They take Eager off the ice for the elbow...that I admit was not THAT bad, but the intent was there...and while it would be chippy, it wouldn't have turned into what it did. Instead, they sit Georges for 4 mins, and leave Eager out there. I guess we can thank them for the entertainment that was Roberts-Eager.

I do have to ask...as a Flyers fan, do you think Biron was trying to teach Crosby (diver-extraordinaire according to Hitchcock) the proper way to execute a dive?

Roberts deserved to be the 3rd star...after Lupul and Umberger, Roberts put on the best show of the night.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #419
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Oh Biron dove, big time. But he can't do it as good as Sid. Sid throws his head back like an old pro. Eager should've sat too. I agree it wasn't that bad...but the officials needed to restore order.

Did you see Biron call out Laraque after he slide tackled him? Biron is about 165lbs soaking wet. But if it was Ron Hextall he would've went after Laraque with his stick.

The best hit of the night is when Colby face planted into the boards when he missed a check. He was all bloodied up...then proceeded to get into a fight in the 3rd. He is by far my favorite Penguin.

This has to be one of the best rivalries in hockey right now. Too bad they don't play again till Mid-January.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #420
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh Biron dove, big time. But he can't do it as good as Sid. Sid throws his head back like an old pro. Eager should've sat too. I agree it wasn't that bad...but the officials needed to restore order.

Did you see Biron call out Laraque after he slide tackled him? Biron is about 165lbs soaking wet. But if it was Ron Hextall he would've went after Laraque with his stick.

The best hit of the night is when Colby face planted into the boards when he missed a check. He was all bloodied up...then proceeded to get into a fight in the 3rd. He is by far my favorite Penguin.

This has to be one of the best rivalries in hockey right now. Too bad they don't play again till Mid-January.

You mean like Hartnell (I believe) crumpling to the ice from the brush burn he got from Roberts stick?

Yeah..Biron was killing me...yelling, from behind his mask, and 2 refs!
We need someone out there doing the Rob Brown fist pump, and then have Biron attack.

Do you think anything will come out of this, with Bettman putting the Flyers 'on watch' last week? The Pens initiated all the battles, and deserved all the penalties they got from the 10 minute point of the 3rd on...but I still contend it all stems from Eager's elbow.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #421
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
You mean like Hartnell (I believe) crumpling to the ice from the brush burn he got from Roberts stick?

Yeah I noticed that too but Hartnell was bleeding (a little) from the stick. I am all for the refs calling diving penalties. And none of this crap where a guy gets 2 mins for hooking and the other gets 2 mins for diving. Just call the diver.

I think if the Flyers do anything dirty, whoever does it will get a extended vacation plus the team will get fined heavily. They showed the hits last night and there is no place in hockey for what Bolerice or Downie did.

The other ones, I don't think the intent to injure was there but just like with high sticking, you should have your body under control enough to avoid hits like that. Honestly, I'd love for the Flyers to get rid of Eager. He takes stupid penalties and is a liability on the ice in both zones. And you're right...that elbow started it all. Right then and there both of them should've been thrown out, or at least been given matching penalties. The refs needed to send a message.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 12-12-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #422
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah I noticed that too but Hartnell was bleeding (a little) from the stick. I am all for the refs calling diving penalties. And none of this crap where a guy gets 2 mins for hooking and the other gets 2 mins for diving. Just call the diver.

I think if the Flyers do anything dirty, whoever does it will get a extended vacation plus the team will get fined heavily. They showed the hits last night and there is no place in hockey for what Bolerice or Downie did.

The other ones, I don't think the intent to injure was there but just like with high sticking, you should have your body under control enough to avoid hits like that. Honestly, I'd love for the Flyers to get rid of Eager. He takes stupid penalties and is a liability on the ice in both zones. And you're right...that elbow started it all. Right then and there both of them should've been thrown out, or at least been given matching penalties. The refs needed to send a message.

Agree, both go off the ice right then, about 90% of what happens afterwards never occurs.

I saw Hartnell bleeding, and 100% agree it was a correct call, Roberts wasn't in control of his stick. But, same play, and that's Crosby, people would be all over him.

Sadly, Crosby has to do that to get some calls, and players like Hartnell are going to embellish, too, to get the call. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Just that if players knew the refs arm would go up as soon as it happens, no need to try and draw a call.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #423
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Damn. Sounds like I picked a poor night to skip TV/hockey and catch up on some reading.

I'm glad to see the rivalry get some life. Hockey is always at its best when it has strong rivalries.

I have to say, however, there is far too much agreeing going on between Bsak and Suburban Rhythm. Come on, fellas. Get in the spirit of things!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #424
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

One last interesting tid bit from the game. For the rest of the season neither team (Pens or Flyers) have to leave the Eastern Time Zone to play a game.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #425
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Damn. Sounds like I picked a poor night to skip TV/hockey and catch up on some reading.

I'm glad to see the rivalry get some life. Hockey is always at its best when it has strong rivalries.

I have to say, however, there is far too much agreeing going on between Bsak and Suburban Rhythm. Come on, fellas. Get in the spirit of things!

I figure he knows the Cryers are trash...do I really need to repeat that to him?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #426
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I figure he knows the Cryers are trash...do I really need to repeat that to him?

They should've moved your team to KC.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #427
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just FWIW, Mark Recchi scored two goals in a 61 second span tonight in his Atlanta debut.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #428
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just FWIW, Mark Recchi scored two goals in a 61 second span tonight in his Atlanta debut.

Just about matching his prior 52 game span.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #429
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So the Flyers sign Mike Richards to a Rick DiPietroesque 12 year, $69 million contact, which averages $5.75 a year against the cap.

If Richards continues to play like he has thus far this year, he'll end up being one hell of a bargain for the Flyers over the next decade or so.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #430
Blade6119
Coordinator

I dont like it at all, takes away their motivation...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #431
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So the Flyers sign Mike Richards to a Rick DiPietroesque 12 year, $69 million contact, which averages $5.75 a year against the cap.

If Richards continues to play like he has thus far this year, he'll end up being one hell of a bargain for the Flyers over the next decade or so.

Damn, 12 years eh? I dread the idea of that length of a contract becoming the "norm" in the NHL. The league is just not solvent enough anymore to handle too many of those, especially if they are guaranteed contracts. I know the NFL does not have guaranteed (except the bonus), and the idiotic NBA does have guaranteed contracts. I believe baseball is guaranteed contracts as well, right? Not sure about the NHL though. Can anyone enlighten me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #432
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Just about matching his prior 52 game span.

HAHA!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #433
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

what happens with all these deals when the cap goes down?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #434
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
what happens with all these deals when the cap goes down?

I can't quote the specifics, but from my understanding, if the cap ever goes down, there is language in the agreement where all player contracts roll back (assuming by a similar percentage to that of the cap reduction) to keep everything in sync.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #435
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Damn, 12 years eh? I dread the idea of that length of a contract becoming the "norm" in the NHL. The league is just not solvent enough anymore to handle too many of those, especially if they are guaranteed contracts. I know the NFL does not have guaranteed (except the bonus), and the idiotic NBA does have guaranteed contracts. I believe baseball is guaranteed contracts as well, right? Not sure about the NHL though. Can anyone enlighten me?

They are guaranteed.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #436
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, the Isles got a little nervous when DiPietro was having problems with concussions. Stupid to be going to this length for deals.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #437
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Amen. These deals are ridiculous. What's driving this weird trend?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #438
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Well if they have a career ending injury (ie Rajthe)...they can be put on a list (sort like PUP in the NFL) where they don't count against the cap. But they still get paid.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #439
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Oilers beat the Wings in yet another shootout...I believe that's the Oilers' 9th win via the shootout. Despite Roloson's great game...the first goal and the last goal were both TERRIBLE.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 AM   #440
Pyser
Pro Rookie

some interestin stuff from cnnsi about the ducks:

Maybe that "do the right thing" speech that Anaheim GM Brian Burke gave about putting goalie llya Bryzgalov on waivers had more than just a good-heart motivation.

Shortly after Burke said he had no takers in a trade (what, was Tampa Bay sleeping?) and needed to let the Ducks' No. 2 goalie go because Bryzgalov had been a "good man" who deserved a "chance to play" and all that, All-Star defenseman Scott Niedermayer announced that he was returning to the Ducks. And there lies the rub:

Though numerous media outlets reported that the Ducks would have to free up some $3 million in cap space for Niedermayer, it's not exactly true. The NHL has a complicated subplot in the 600-plus page Collective Bargaining Agreement called "tagging" -- a method by which clubs can act like corporations that sell off their surplus pollution credits or get tax deductions for unused debt.

In this case, it has to do with "tagging" expiring contracts and contracts that are moved (like Bryzgalov's). It's far too complicated to explain here, but the Ducks, who have a full-time "capologist" in Dave McNab (who also happens to be an outstanding hockey man), apparently have done the math and the tagging and need only to eliminate some $880,000 from this year's budget to get Niedermayer on the ice.

There's nothing illegal or even immoral in what the Ducks did, but if Burke knew that Niedermayer was coming back before it was announced (and that's a logical conclusion), the mysterious goalie waiver makes a whole lot more sense than just giving Bryzgalov a chance to play. But Burke may have a problem when he tries to re-sign some of the players whose contracts expire at the end of this season. For now, it appears he can accommodate an All-Star defenseman with just a little bit of cost cutting.

In financial circles and hockey arenas, that's called exploiting an opportunity, otherwise known as a job well done.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 PM   #441
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

St Louis - Anaheim:

Ducks get Doug Weight, prospect and pick

Blues get Andy MacDonald

BUT...Weight is a UFA at the end of the year, MacDonald had another year at $3.3M. So as Pyser describes above, they've opened cap space for next season, allowing them to bring back Niedermeyer this year. And I guess negotiate with Corey Perry.

Weight for MacDonald, terrible trade for Anaheim.
Weight and Nieds for MacDonald, good trade. All depends on how you look at it.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #442
bhlloy
Coordinator

McDonald has been terrible this year. I would have rather moved a package of Marchant and O'Donnell, but no GM in the league is going to take on salary to pick up those two.

If McDonald gets a couple of good linemates in St. Louis he could turn out really well for them, but at this point honestly it looks like Selanne and Kunitz made McDonald look good and not the other way around.

Getting Weight back is a bonus IMO. He's not great anymore, but I'd have expected to get nothing in return. Birner might be a decent player at some point as well. Ultimately, I'm pretty happy with the deal.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #443
bbor
Pro Starter

Macdonald has been far from great this season.....i know this because i have him on my fantasy team

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #444
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola.....Break up the Leafs!!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #445
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
In this case, it has to do with "tagging" expiring contracts and contracts that are moved (like Bryzgalov's). It's far too complicated to explain here, but the Ducks, who have a full-time "capologist" in Dave McNab (who also happens to be an outstanding hockey man), apparently have done the math and the tagging and need only to eliminate some $880,000 from this year's budget to get Niedermayer on the ice.

There really isn't anything tricky or tough to understand about this.

You have 'x' number of players on your 23 man roster. They count towards your cap. If you move out of them, his remaining salary is removed from the cap.

The more tricky part is playing with future seasons - the Ducks can't have more salary signed than what the cap is for next season (i.e. if the cap is $50 million, they can't have $55 million of salary on the books for next season right now).

That's why the Ducks moved MacDonald. He's signed for next season, while Doug Weight isn't. Since Niedermayer is still under contract for next season, adding his salary would have put the Ducks over the cap for next season, so they had to remove him.

This could make the Duck's off season even more tricky - Niedermayer will have to retire (assuming he does) just about as soon as the season is over, otherwise the Ducks risk losing Perry to free agency.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #446
bhlloy
Coordinator

I understand the MacDonald deal gives the Ducks easily enough room to renegotiate with Perry, which was another big reason why it was MacDonald and his 2008 contract that had to go.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #447
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

For us here on the other coast-What's Selanne's status? Is he without a contract at all? Then they'd only need enough room for this season, depending on his demands. And is he even considering coming back?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #448
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
I dont like it at all, takes away their motivation...

Unless you're the type who doesn't have to be in a contract year to be motivated to do your job.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #449
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah, the Isles got a little nervous when DiPietro was having problems with concussions. Stupid to be going to this length for deals.

Very little risk, as long as you have the money to cover the deal if they stay healthy but start to suck. Bury them in the minors and they get paid while being off the cap sheet. If they don't show up, they don't get paid. If they get a long term injury, or a career ending injury, insurance probably picks up the rest of the salary or some substantial portion of it. These deals are nowhere near as risky as they might seem.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #450
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
For us here on the other coast-What's Selanne's status? Is he without a contract at all? Then they'd only need enough room for this season, depending on his demands. And is he even considering coming back?

He is considering coming back in the new year. He's a UFA as well, so in theory could sign for the league minimum and they would only have to deal a Huskins or Miller to fit him in. I have no idea whether that is realistic or whether he will want to get paid what he is worth.

Trading McDonald and moving Kunitz full time to the Perry/Getzlaf line makes me lean towards he isn't coming back, but we will see.