Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #51
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
for what, I asked Gamestop if they'd carry it and they told me "no", so I'd have to buy it online anyways. Is it going to be at a B&M?

To get your debit/credit cards back? Seems like that would enable you to get it online

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #52
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Because the FM version works with all of the editors and third party tools and WWSM doesn't.

Ok well I didn't know about third party editors or FM Scout. They sound cool but at least FM Scout is Windows-only so I'm out of luck.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #53
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

FM scout worked fine with WWSM07; I never tried the editors, so I can't speak to that.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #54
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
To get your debit/credit cards back? Seems like that would enable you to get it online

oh, well yeah that too, but I'd love to drive up to BB and buy it if available.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #55
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
FM scout worked fine with WWSM07; I never tried the editors, so I can't speak to that.

i dont think FM scout works with the DigitalDL of WWSM though, at least it didnt when i did the ddl of wwsm a few FM's ago
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #56
highfiveoh
Banned

These threads seem to be starting earlier and earlier. Why create an "impressions thread" if no one even has the game yet?
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #57
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfiveoh View Post
These threads seem to be starting earlier and earlier. Why create an "impressions thread" if no one even has the game yet?

Status. Kind of like people being upset about werewolf posts boosting post count totals
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #58
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay FM vets where can i go to get a good beginners guide on how to play and understand this game. I already know soccer as a sport since i have played, coached, or been a ref most of my life. I am interested in learning the whole international system and how to play the game without getting totally overwhlemed.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #59
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay FM vets where can i go to get a good beginners guide on how to play and understand this game. I already know soccer as a sport since i have played, coached, or been a ref most of my life. I am interested in learning the whole international system and how to play the game without getting totally overwhlemed.

The SI forums are pretty good for starters, there just is a lot to read. Other then that, I'd just play a season or two with different teams to get a feel for the game. Eventually you will get hooked on playing a certain dynasty and from there you will probably have your "team" that you root for. Various forum members have picked their team that way. It's how I became a Crystal Palace fan. Even bought a shirt that said "Palace til I die!"
Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #60
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
i dont think FM scout works with the DigitalDL of WWSM though, at least it didnt when i did the ddl of wwsm a few FM's ago
Yes - it works perfectly.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #61
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post

With the new version not sure how long it will be before the tactics forum gets going but look for posts from wwfan. I learned a lot about making tactics in FM from his posts and along the way a lot about football in general. Unlike you I knew nothing about football before buying WWSM in 2006. Knowing the game of football gives you a big head start.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #62
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Exclamation Ping: WSUCougar

You planning on getting WWSM08?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #63
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Eventually you will get hooked on playing a certain dynasty and from there you will probably have your "team" that you root for. Various forum members have picked their team that way. It's how I became a Crystal Palace fan. Even bought a shirt that said "Palace til I die!"

Carlisle United ftw! maybe they can pull a rabbit out of thier ass again and get to the championship this year!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #64
Blade6119
Coordinator

Due to FM, i have followed Napoli in real life as they have literally risen from the ashes and moved from C2 to C1 to B and now are in the top flight Series A of Italy. This all happened in the past 5-6 years, with them moving up and winning the division. Just crazy to see it happen in real life, and not a video game(i actually took two seasons longer to get them up that high
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #65
daedalus
Pro Rookie

i rather think that the SI forum bites donkey balls. the left one.

on the other hand, i think this board and marc vaughan's guide are brilliant.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #66
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
i rather think that the SI forum bites donkey balls. the left one.

on the other hand, i think this board and marc vaughan's guide are brilliant.
Nothing to argue with there....
Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #67
Bee
Pro Starter

Got my copy in the mail today from gogamer. I'm a happy camper.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #68
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
You planning on getting WWSM08?
Hello? Is this my conscience?

( )

(Yes, at some point.)
Old 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #69
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Does anyone have any information on the Digital Download? The SI forums had a guy from Sega "promising to check into it" and he disappeared 5 days ago. The SI and FM websites say WWSM08 will be available for digital download tomorrow, but the silence is deafening...

...Mark?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #70
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Hello? Is this my conscience?

( )

(Yes, at some point.)
Cool - let me know before you do - I owe you one
Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #71
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Does anyone have any information on the Digital Download? The SI forums had a guy from Sega "promising to check into it" and he disappeared 5 days ago. The SI and FM websites say WWSM08 will be available for digital download tomorrow, but the silence is deafening...

...Mark?

Yeah, I've been waiting for this but if we don't get any news tomorrow and it's not available for download I guess I'll have to go with amazon.com, there's been no response the past few days on the SI forums.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #72
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

UGH.

8:30 AM here on the east coast, and
  • The SI website has no download link for WWSM08
  • The link to "downloads" brings you to a page that says the server is down
  • The SI forums page is down
  • No information from SI or Sega in almost a week re: WWSM08.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #73
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
UGH.

8:30 AM here on the east coast, and
  • The SI website has no download link for WWSM08
  • The link to "downloads" brings you to a page that says the server is down
  • The SI forums page is down
  • No information from SI or Sega in almost a week re: WWSM08.

I just checked amazon and my preorder has still not been shipped. No email notice or report on their page that it has been delayed, so who knows? Ah, shit just went to their website and it says ...

Quote:
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 by Sega of America, Inc. (Oct 23, 2007) (Macintosh, Windows XP)
Buy new: $29.99
In stock soon. Order now to get in line. First come, first served.

For Christ's sake they had over a week to get this in stock, WTF?

Have the weekend off and the game should have shown up on Thurs or Friday. If it's not in the mail today or tomorrow I'll just cancel and wait for the DD.

Last edited by Sweed : 10-23-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #74
TredWel
High School Varsity

I saw a post earlier this morning on the forums that the download should be availble by 9:00 Pacific today.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #75
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel View Post
I saw a post earlier this morning on the forums that the download should be availble by 9:00 Pacific today.

Thanks for the info. Looks like amazon is going to be losing some sales.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #76
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel View Post
THAT would be sweet! Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #77
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I assume there's a patch in the works for the game already. Historically, the patch for the DL version is at least a day behind the patch for the boxed version. Has there been any word on when the first patch will be out?

(and do we have the return of Pumpy Frog Tudors Man?)
Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #78
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I assume there's a patch in the works for the game already. Historically, the patch for the DL version is at least a day behind the patch for the boxed version. Has there been any word on when the first patch will be out?

(and do we have the return of Pumpy Frog Tudors Man?)
I've been on the SI forums quite a bit the last week or so, and that's pretty much all anyone was talking about. As usual, there were loads of bug reports, but the SI dudes were collecting them and letting people know that they've been working on the first patch since the gold-demo and it would be out pretty soon.

Me? I'd be happy with the game quite frankly
Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #79
Ramzavail
College Starter

I was hoping to live vicariously through someone today with the download game but maybe we have a stall- but I was really impressed with the changes on the demo, I like the personal news and the league news split up, tactic changes while game is being played however I wasn't a big fan of the facegen, it was just ok.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #80
TredWel
High School Varsity

Here's what Marc Duffy said earlier on the FM boards:

Quote:
Guys, sorry about the lack of response on this

We're pleased to announce that we are working on a digital version of WWSM and Futbol Manager for South American countries and all being well both will launch today.

More information to follow later in the day.

Quote:
Realistically it's not going to go live till around 9am Western time
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #81
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

With the news from TredWel I just canceled my amazon preorder. Since they wouldn't get it in the mail today and likely not tomorrow I'm certain I would not have it for the weekend. I guess now it's up to SI to get the DD online, pretty sure if not today at least I'll have it for the upcoming weekend.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #82
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
We're pleased to announce that we are working on a digital version of WWSM and Futbol Manager for South American countries and all being well both will launch today.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #83
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Got my copy in the mail today from gogamer. I'm a happy camper.
Where are you in Fairfax?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #84
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
With the news from TredWel I just canceled my amazon preorder. Since they wouldn't get it in the mail today and likely not tomorrow I'm certain I would not have it for the weekend. I guess now it's up to SI to get the DD online, pretty sure if not today at least I'll have it for the upcoming weekend.

do not understimate the ability to extend the duration of a game of overseas ping pong well over the four days left until the weekend though.

Not really faulting the SI guys here, more like the Sega dudes on that one...

Who are they using for digital distribution nowadays anyway? I'd assume it's not Digicrap River anymore or else we'd have heard about unhappy people already, but I'm curious...

FM

PS: Pumpy, not too sure about the return just yet I will most likely get the game at some point, but this year might be the first where I get it after all the patches have been pumped out. I'm having too much fun with BBCF right now and I just can't see how I'd be able to split my time between the two...
Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #85
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
PS: Pumpy, not too sure about the return just yet I will most likely get the game at some point, but this year might be the first where I get it after all the patches have been pumped out. I'm having too much fun with BBCF right now and I just can't see how I'd be able to split my time between the two...
I'm actually with you on this one. Part of me wants to get the game right now, but I can't really see when I'd really jump into it.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #86
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
do not understimate the ability to extend the duration of a game of overseas ping pong well over the four days left until the weekend though.

Not really faulting the SI guys here, more like the Sega dudes on that one...

Who are they using for digital distribution nowadays anyway? I'd assume it's not Digicrap River anymore or else we'd have heard about unhappy people already, but I'm curious...

FM

It's surely possible that it will not be done by the weekend. I was surprised with the time between releases though that amazon evidently had no stock on hand to fill orders. Good thing is I'm not desperate to have it asap (that is, it's not worth the extra $20+ to get it imported), but like most will be happy when I do get it.

Elicense was their choice for ootp and the last ehm and haven't heard anything different (nor a confirmation that it is elicense) for this version from anyone at SI. Some on the SI forums keep asking about STEAM (never used it so don't know about it). The disk itself has securom (sp) which some users have problems with. So like anything else there are goods and bads. And yes, if I find they returned to digital river I'll change any plans I had for DD and wait for amazon to have disks in stock.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #87
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Where are you in Fairfax?

I'm in the Oakton/Vienna area.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #88
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

The latest from Marc Duffy

Quote:
Marc Duffy
Sports Interactive

Wide Man
Location: Football Manager Live : "ripping up the script that says how online football management games should work"

Posted Oct 23, 11:31 AM Hide PostReply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
Just to keep you in the loop, we're almost good to go however there is a crash in starting up a league that we've found at the last minute and we're working on fixing.

The likelyhood is now that we wont be able to launch anything till tomorrow AM though but we are now very very close.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #89
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

dola

from Duffy

Quote:
Partner wise -- take your pic ... we're working with Direct2Drive, Boonty on WWSM / Futbol and a few others Smile

anyone have experience with these distributors?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #90
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Amazon.com out of stock for a few days, no digital download until tomorrow, pretty weak. I was hoping to play after work and Champions League games this evening.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #91
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Doh. So much for getting it this week for me, not sure I want to try downloading this thing while on the road with the usually slower access to the internet.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #92
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
dola

from Duffy

I've bought a bundle of Civ4 w/warlords from Direct2Drive and it worked perfectly. Their download manager made the download so easy, and fast. That is actually pretty good news...

FM
Old 10-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #93
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I've bought a bundle of Civ4 w/warlords from Direct2Drive and it worked perfectly. Their download manager made the download so easy, and fast. That is actually pretty good news...

FM

Good to hear, I'll make that my choice.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #94
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark duffy
Quote:
It wasn't ideal and we made steps to improve things for 2007.
Quote:
Well, in his defence he did speak to people about making an announcement but I wanted to be sure that what I was posting was going to be the truth and not speculation or assumption.
Quote:
Realistically it's not going to go live till around 9am Western time
Quote:
Just to keep you in the loop, we're almost good to go however there is a crash in starting up a league that we've found at the last minute and we're working on fixing.The likelyhood is now that we wont be able to launch anything till tomorrow AM though but we are now very very close.
Quote:
AM means when I am up and in the office tomorrow and everything is checked (so around 11am or so)

This is starting to get...dare I say it...Maximum?

I'll be the first guy to eat crow if it is out today, but after going dark for 5 days and then posting the truth, which wasn't the truth, and then pushing it out, for someone who really was looking forward to getting the game on his birthday, I'm pissed.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 10-23-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #95
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Direct2Drive looks pretty bigtime to me. Lots of popular games on there to download, movies, tv shows. If it sucks they must have bamboozled a bunch of big name companies.....
Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #96
highfiveoh
Banned

Quote:
dola

from Duffy

Oh christ. No Elicense and I'm out. Every other online distributor has been so bad that I wouldn't even consider a company I've never heard of.
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #97
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Hmmmmmmm

This is starting to get...dare I say it...Maximum?

I'll be the first guy to eat crow if it is out today, but after going dark for 5 days and then posting the truth, which wasn't the truth, and then pushing it out, for someone who really was looking forward to getting the game on his birthday, I'm pissed.

yeah, you're giving me so many flashbacks of the one time I went digital with the game, it was for WWSM2006. There were delays after delays, more than a week's worth. I'd like to think they got better after that year, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Don't get me wrong, I will probably go back to digital again this year, but will wait until much later, when everything's ironed out...

FM
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #98
Bee
Pro Starter

I've bought stuff from direct2drive before. The biggest problem I think is for most games you have to wait for a direct2drive patch to be released which can take a very long time after the "regular" patch is released. I'm not sure if the delay is with direct2drive or the developers on those delays though.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #99
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Good to hear, I'll make that my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Direct2Drive looks pretty bigtime to me. Lots of popular games on there to download, movies, tv shows. If it sucks they must have bamboozled a bunch of big name companies.....

as I said, I would recommend Direct2Drive to anyone. My experience with them with Civ4 (and Warlords) has been great. One more plus to them is their patch delivery. They house the patches themselves, so no more downloading from Si at turtle speeds...

FM
Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #100
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I've bought stuff from direct2drive before. The biggest problem I think is for most games you have to wait for a direct2drive patch to be released which can take a very long time after the "regular" patch is released. I'm not sure if the delay is with direct2drive or the developers on those delays though.

I've not experienced the delays with civ4, so hopefully it's with the developpers, in which case we could hope that SI will deliver...

FM