Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #1401
samifan24
Pro Starter

Hey, can someone tell me what I need to download to install the correct names for the Champions League, cups, etc.?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #1402
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Hey, can someone tell me what I need to download to install the correct names for the Champions League, cups, etc.?

This is the one I used:

hxxp://www.sortitoutsi.net/index.php?page=downloads&area=file&fileid=4996
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #1403
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The triumphant return of the thread that never dies
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #1404
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

well, until the next FM gets released

(that one will probably be in the Soccer Sims forum )
Old 04-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #1405
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
This is the one I used:

hxxp://www.sortitoutsi.net/index.php?page=downloads&area=file&fileid=4996

Thanks. I downloaded and installed these files and they seemed to have worked although the game still calls the Champions League the "Champions Cup" and others "EURO Cup," "EURO Vase," etc. Any way to fix these?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #1406
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Check the sticky in the "soccer sims" forum.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #1407
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Check the sticky in the "soccer sims" forum.

It's the same file I just downloaded.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #1408
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That's what I get for not reading your entire post. I dunno what to tell you then!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #1409
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone have this on the psp?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #1410
MrBug708
Head Coach

Meh, my FM game has slowed to a crawl when playing. The onyl thing I have done to my computer since I played it last was add a gig of ram.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #1411
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Does anyone have this on the psp?

Yes

(if anyone has any questions about the PSP version then feel free to fire away, bear in mind though that I'm (as always) more than a tad biased )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-22-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #1412
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So just how crappy is it?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #1413
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
So just how crappy is it?

I'm sorry to disappoint you but its not crappy at all.

Its extremely cool - very much along the lines of an enhanced version of CM01-02 if you played our games during those days.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-22-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #1414
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Marc,

Can you see the game via 2d display while it's playing?

Tell me anything you can about the game on the psp.. I know the pc verizon is much more in-depth.. but if it's decent on the psp, I think I'll pick it up.

Thank you!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #1415
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I've got the PSP version and I see it as FM-lite, something to pass the time while on the train or waiting for an appointment.

All of the detail is scaled back just perfectly to make the game as engaging as possible without making it a click-fest that takes hours to get something accomplished.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #1416
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Marc,
Can you see the game via 2d display while it's playing?
No the current PSP game has only text commentary.

Quote:
Tell me anything you can about the game on the psp.. I know the pc verizon is much more in-depth.. but if it's decent on the psp, I think I'll pick it up.
Basically its not quite as in-depth as the PC version but it retains the attention to detail and realism. This leads to a much faster game which is more suited to a handheld device (you can blast through a season in a couple of hours on the PSP version if you play fast - something which would be impossible on the PC).

The latest version has an editable database so that you can keep things up to date with real life and you can also add in various graphics etc.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:01 AM   #1417
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I've said it before, and I will say it again...

No other game has ever given me enough grief or ridiculous joy as Football Manager.

In League One, as Brighton and Hove, entering my 4t year as manager. We finally finish the construction of our new 22,000 all-seater. The season comes down to the wire. We basically lose a chance to get immediate promotion by losing to the top two teams in heart-breaking matches.

So we head to the playoffs... and we win away against Sheff Wed, 2-1. During the aggregate match, they are up 2-1, until my striker Paul Hayes nailed the game-clinching goal via a magnificent run through the entire pitch, dodging about 3 guys, and faking the keeper out with a beautiful curling shot at the 93rd minute.

Needless to say, I was fist-pumping like a madman, screaming obscenities at the hapless computer manager. Take that, chumsuckers!

The fact that Hayes scored a hat-trick during our 4-0 win against Millwall in the Final, which meant we were getting promoted, was just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 05-26-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #1418
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i hope you give Hayes a new contract after that. thats clutch!
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #1419
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I've said it before, and I will say it again...

No other game has ever given me enough grief or ridiculous joy as Football Manager.

+1

I've managed Bromley from Blue Square South to League One over a seven year period. We got into League One through the playoffs last season and that did give me ridiculous joy. But this season has been nothing but grief. We're sitting in 23rd with five games to go and barring a miracle will be going down. I've been playing CM/FM since 96/97 and this will be the first time I'll be in charge of a relegated squad...if I can bring myself to play out the season.

It's a strange thing. When I'm winning (like last season), I just want to keep on playing. But when I'm losing, it's tough to want to boot up the game. I'm not a quitter so I know I need to take my medicine and suck it up. But this game has caused me to identify with my players to such a degree that I know it's going to hurt to see that relegation message in my inbox when the season's over. The prospect of seeing that message makes me want to avoid something I know needs to be done. I don't want relegation on my managerial record, but to stay loyal to my club, I don't have a choice.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #1420
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

mmm...i wants to play me some FM today!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #1421
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The true measure of a great game is how immersive it is despite the proclivities of the user.

Safe to say prior to FM, I hated soccer - *hated it*. I embraced all of the stereotypical american bashing of soccer. However, after seeing how many people on this board loved it, I asked if anyone knew where I could get a cheap copy. WSUCougar sent me FM03 gratis and I was completely hooked a week later. Safe to say I play more FM than every other game/sim I've got put together, and it rivals how much time I played SOM back in grade school - and that is a lot.

It also changed my opinion of soccer - ahem - football IRL, and I now follow Rangers as well as the EPL, can talk about internation soccer and not sound noobish, and even have my aunt in Scotland scouring the north coast for a Peterhead kit - my first FM dynasty.

Whatever FM was able to tap into, it's perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 05-26-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #1422
samifan24
Pro Starter

This game is awesome...and unbelievably frustrating.

So I'm having fun and doing pretty well in my first season at Coventry City. We're sitting 7th in the Championship with about a quarter left in the season. Forward Michael Mifsud has been unstoppable this season. He has 23 goals, 12 assists and eight MoMs for a rating of 7.50 in 28 league games for us.

One day I get an e-mail that Ipswich is offering up a pretty good DM for free. They signed him for about $950,000 at the beginning of the year but buried him on the reserves and now he's angry and wants out. I say hey, sure, why not.

The next day I get an e-mail that our chairman accepted a bid from Ipswich for Mifsud, our star striker, for $5.25 mil (his listed value). Two days later, Mifsud agrees to terms and signs with Ipswich. Just like that! I didn't have a say or anything and we lose our best player in the middle of the season. It's really frustrating but I have to smile because this game is so awesome.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #1423
kingfc22
Head Coach

I finally started playing the demo last week. Haven't bought the game since '05 and I LOVE all the new additions. Now I'm trying to tell myself to wait for FM09.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:40 AM   #1424
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

A little update on my Brighton game.

As I said previously, we were promoted into the Championship.

We're doing marvelously, with only two major transfers and a marvelous loan. We got a new left back and a better tall CB, and managed to loan an ageing Michael Ballack from Chelsea as our anchor at midfield. We're currently 5th in the Championship and, thanks to our new 22,000 seater stadium, raking in the money for each home game.

I love it.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #1425
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Take it to the FM forum
Old 05-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #1426
kingfc22
Head Coach

Okay, I gave in and bought it. Time to see how far I can take a Blue Square North/South squad or I might go back and play with Belluno in Italy.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #1427
Blade6119
Coordinator

Just won my first ever Series A title, which leaves just France of the major leagues for me to still conquer...and i just cant bring myself to start a dynasty there lol. I loved Italy, Portugal, and Germany. Found England to be too rigid, and spain to be a little too unbalanced for my tastes. Honestly, Holland was really the most fun as it was a constant struggle to keep top players from moving on to bigger and better pastures.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 05-29-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #1428
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Okay, I gave in and bought it. Time to see how far I can take a Blue Square North/South squad or I might go back and play with Belluno in Italy.

My career is in Italy. I started with a C2 league team (I think it's spelled 'Giuliano'). Currently, I'm in January of 2024. I'm sitting in 2nd position in the B league hoping to make the jump to the A league. I've got A league talent on my team right now, but have several players who are up for renewal in June 2025 and they all want to move up to a higher league. I'm hoping desparately that I can be promoted this year so I don't end up having to retool the team and transfer all of my good players that refuse to sign new contracts at this point.

I'm being considered for several MLS jobs, but plan on sticking it out in Italy.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #1429
Izulde
Head Coach

If I could find where I put my disc, I'd probably fire up another game.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #1430
Radii
Head Coach

I just bought this a couple weeks ago now, and started my first game as Arsenal to get a feel for the game play before i try to take a lower division team to the top. I'm in my second season so far and completely hooked. I've had a couple nights where i decide to play through "just one more match" about 8 or 9 times and end up staying up 3-4 hours longer than intended.

And of course, I'm already waaay too attached to all my players to consider restarting in a lower division so I'll be playing this one out for awhile.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #1431
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I just bought this a couple weeks ago now, and started my first game as Arsenal to get a feel for the game play before i try to take a lower division team to the top. I'm in my second season so far and completely hooked. I've had a couple nights where i decide to play through "just one more match" about 8 or 9 times and end up staying up 3-4 hours longer than intended.

And of course, I'm already waaay too attached to all my players to consider restarting in a lower division so I'll be playing this one out for awhile.

You could add a manager to the game, and have that manager coach a lower division team.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #1432
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I want to re-download the version 8 again, so I can relicense and play on my new machine before the new version comes out and I get suckered again into buying it.

Where are the downloads? All I can find (not easily) are the patches.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #1433
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nevermind, I used my Google muscles and found a link it myself.

Sega of America :: View topic - Buy and download Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 now!
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #1434
Celeval
Pro Starter

Yes, yes, I know, thread necromancy, but I don't have '09 so have kept playing '08.

I've hit a very annoying bug twice now, and didn't know if this was something that is found-and-fixed (although I have 8.0.2), or something I have to live with. Playing in the Scottish Third Division, I've twice in two seasons made the promotion playoffs, and twice in two seasons lost in the finals, short one goal. Both times, the game seems to think I came in 10th and last place - there's a tiny amount of money shared out with the team, and the board confidence goes from "finished just behind the top teams in the Third Division this season" to "The board are concerned that the team weren't competitive in the Third Division last season". I almost didn't get my contract renewed because of this one... anything sound familiar?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote