Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #201
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Still plowing through PLA setup - got the 3rd level done and I'm 1/2 way through level 4. I'll post the DB after I'm done with that - it will still need levels 5 and 6 to be "americanized" with team names, but no other detail since they are unplayable.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #202
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So am I counting this right? You're making 412 American teams?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #203
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
So am I counting this right? You're making 412 American teams?
I'f I'm lucky. I'm acutally only creating the playable teams, so that is 14+16+(2x16)+(6x12)=134 minus the MLS teams already in place - so about 120. The rest of them will just be city names to fill out the unplayable leagues - unless you want your lower levels to read like an Ikea catalog.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #204
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Still plowing through PLA setup - got the 3rd level done and I'm 1/2 way through level 4. I'll post the DB after I'm done with that - it will still need levels 5 and 6 to be "americanized" with team names, but no other detail since they are unplayable.

C'mon Toddzilla its been over an hour..are you done yet??

FYI...My Israeli League swap crashed after 2nd season, I spent all night last night trying to figure out what the hell I screwed up.

Starting fresh tonight on N.Ireland/Ireland swap with Canada/USA...

But I am really looking forward to yours...
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 PM   #205
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Are you sure about needing to switch them to Canada in this version? I was playing around and it looked like the league I switched over to US retained their own rules and there was none of the wacky MLS crap involved.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #206
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Are you sure about needing to switch them to Canada in this version? I was playing around and it looked like the league I switched over to US retained their own rules and there was none of the wacky MLS crap involved.

I can confirm this also....But , I did have a crash that I cant explain.

Have you played through two full seasons yet?

Last edited by Bea-Arthurs Hip : 10-26-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #207
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I'f I'm lucky. I'm acutally only creating the playable teams, so that is 14+16+(2x16)+(6x12)=134 minus the MLS teams already in place - so about 120. The rest of them will just be city names to fill out the unplayable leagues - unless you want your lower levels to read like an Ikea catalog.

Right, I guess I meant city names. How are you deciding on what city names to use?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #208
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Right, I guess I meant city names. How are you deciding on what city names to use?
So far, I've just picked familiar ones to me. When I get to the lower recesses, I'm going to lean heavily on Wikipedia and any other source that will hopefully have a list of cities sorted by population. At that point, I'll just pick em, probably leaning on the easy to spell and short ones.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #209
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Not *positive*, but that little detail seemed to the be the enabler last year, whereas the league didn't work correctly unless we used Canada as the home country.

It will be interesting to see if Sweden's 3-non-EU rule will cause any bad stuff to happen.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #210
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip View Post
C'mon Toddzilla its been over an hour..are you done yet??
Keep your pants on - 12 teams to go
Old 10-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #211
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quadruple Dola - God Bless the WARN Act
Old 10-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #212
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
So far, I've just picked familiar ones to me. When I get to the lower recesses, I'm going to lean heavily on Wikipedia and any other source that will hopefully have a list of cities sorted by population. At that point, I'll just pick em, probably leaning on the easy to spell and short ones.

How much do I need to campaign to get Grand Rapids in a playable league? Eh, don't worry about it -- if it's not, I'll just put it in myself.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-26-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #213
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, I'll just put teams where I want them once I get my hands on it. I'm excited about it, it's the only league I bother to play with anymore, because it's so much better than MLS.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #214
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
How much do I need to campaign to get Grand Rapids in a playable league? Eh, don't worry about it -- if it's not, I'll just put it in myself.
AC Grand Rapids is in - the Whitecaps (from a local sports team I believe) - the American Second Division Great Lakes.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 10-26-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #215
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Stop posting and wrap it up Todd.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #216
Shepp
High School Varsity

Has anyone played with the patch applied yet? Are closing down and too many goals/ disallowed goals fixed?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #217
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Has anyone played with the patch applied yet? Are closing down and too many goals/ disallowed goals fixed?

Have not played but from what I have read both are fixed.

Only new "major" bug that has popped up is a financial bug that is has been noted and fixed for offical patch.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #218
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Anyone tried the patch with a copy of WWSM?

Moderately curious if it's just a matter of renaming the executable.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #219
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Anyone tried the patch with a copy of WWSM?

Moderately curious if it's just a matter of renaming the executable.

I remember for Boxed version of WSM2005 I used a FM patch and worked fine.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #220
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well, I'll be the guinea pig. Let you know momentarily.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #221
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And that would be a negative on it working.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #222
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

PLA step one is done, but it is UNTESTED. I have no idea if it will fire up, so download and install at your own risk. Drop it in the c:/your documents/SI/WWSM/db folder. The DB is named PLA, and you'll need to select Canada to play - if it works that is.

I've tried to give some semblance of financial parity among the levels, so I've given the level one teams on the order of $10M, $1M to level 2, $100K to level 3, and $10K to level 4. I've also added ticket prices to give the teams a source of income. All of these may need to be adjusted to keep the teams afloat.

Also, I haven't done anything to the unplayable levels 5 and 6, so they still have Swedish teams. Again, think Ikea catalog.

If anyone has any ideas for improvements, please post them here. I'll continue to tinker and post results. Have fun!

hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/65440689/PLA.zip
Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #223
twothree
College Prospect

Anyone else simming some "history" of the league(s) they plan on running, while waiting for the first official patch? I have been on holiday in my game, and just reached the year 2011. I think I will probably sim to the year 2050 before taking over as a manager somewhere.

The recommended setup given to me for my computer when I clicked on that button on the new game screen was England (top 4 leagues), Spain (top 2 leagues), Italy (top 2 leagues), Germany (top league), Mexico (top 2 leagues), and USA (MLS), for 12 leagues in 6 countries. I deleted the 2 Mexican leagues and the MLS, and then added a second German league and the top 2 French leagues. So, my game has 12 leagues in 5 countries using a small database.

It took 6 and one half hours to sim 3 and one half years, so my guess is that it will probably take somewhere around 100 hours to sim 40 more years as each year will probably take a little longer to sim then the last one.

I have also been running a test league where I have been getting use to the interface and controls, since this is the "first" version of Football Manager I have purchased. The last version I purchased was CM03/04.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #224
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

BAH! Canada isn't a selectable country in the PLA - let me see if I can find the bug.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #225
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm downloading it now. I'll take a look at it too.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #226
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
Anyone else simming some "history" of the league(s) they plan on running, while waiting for the first official patch? I have been on holiday in my game, and just reached the year 2011. I think I will probably sim to the year 2050 before taking over as a manager somewhere.

The recommended setup given to me for my computer when I clicked on that button on the new game screen was England (top 4 leagues), Spain (top 2 leagues), Italy (top 2 leagues), Germany (top league), Mexico (top 2 leagues), and USA (MLS), for 12 leagues in 6 countries. I deleted the 2 Mexican leagues and the MLS, and then added a second German league and the top 2 French leagues. So, my game has 12 leagues in 5 countries using a small database.

It took 6 and one half hours to sim 3 and one half years, so my guess is that it will probably take somewhere around 100 hours to sim 40 more years as each year will probably take a little longer to sim then the last one.

I have also been running a test league where I have been getting use to the interface and controls, since this is the "first" version of Football Manager I have purchased. The last version I purchased was CM03/04.

I usually sim to about 2022 or so as none of theoriginal players are there or they are up there in age.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #227
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I usually sim to about 2022 or so as none of theoriginal players are there or they are up there in age.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #228
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I'm downloading it now. I'll take a look at it too.
I think it may be the fact I didn't touch the unplayable leagues. I'm going to swap all of those teams now - make the 50 or so Canadian unplayables Swedish and the 400 or so Swedish unplayables Canadian.

Point-Click-fest underway.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #229
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

ALL teams that were formerly in Sweden are now labeled in Canada and vice-versa. Uploading the updated DB to the same place. Canada still, however, cannot be selected.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this? I've followed "Dave's" rules to the letter.

Well, one troubleshooting tip I've discovered is the ability to view all of the worldwide clubs, then filter by country. If you filter for Canada, only a handful of teams show up, so there's got to be something wrong with the other teams not to be recognized. For example, most of the MLS teams swapped over show up, but San Jose doesn't.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 10-26-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #230
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Trying to figure it out now, too.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:57 AM   #231
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I just made the Champions League final winning 6-5 on aggregate against Barcelona, drawing the first leg 2-2 at home and then winning the second leg with a stunning 4-3 win in the Nou Camp.

You'd figure the fans would be delighted, but no, the end of the month has come and the board has just informed me that it's going to take the fans some time to get over the 2-2 draw in the first leg

They seem to take the League Cup a little bit too seriously as well, hopefully this is tweaked in the patch even if it doesn't have a huge effect on the gameplay.

Carlos Tevez is such a hero, his Nou Camp hat-trick has him up to 26 goals and 19 assists on the season.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #232
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

My thinking on the PLA is this...

If we can't work out the bugs that are keeping Canada from being selectable, I've got a backup plan that gets us 99% there.

I can edit the DB to do everything but swap Canada and Sweden. That is, change the competition names, award names, add the extra US teams, and then just use an .edt file to swap the teams. The upside is no worrying about if the league will be selectable - the .edt file doesn't affect that. The downside is the PLA will be in Sweden. That means Swedish regens and Swedish rules. We may be able to work around some of that, but this is all a Plan B if we can't get my original PLA DB worked out. Shurg.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #233
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I played around with it last night and noticed that the original Canadian leagues were still in Canada. I moved them to sweden with Canada's TLA, but that didn't make it playable.

Dave on the SI boards said that it works for him, but that some countries simply don't work.

But this solution you propose is a good middle ground. And we can always change the language for Sweden to English, Spanish and whatever so that the PLA's future players don't sound they're coming out of the Swedish Parliament.

I was going to attempt a different nation to make sure the whole thing works at all in the meantime.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #234
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I played around with it last night and noticed that the original Canadian leagues were still in Canada. I moved them to sweden with Canada's TLA, but that didn't make it playable.

Dave on the SI boards said that it works for him, but that some countries simply don't work.

But this solution you propose is a good middle ground. And we can always change the language for Sweden to English, Spanish and whatever so that the PLA's future players don't sound they're coming out of the Swedish Parliament.

I was going to attempt a different nation to make sure the whole thing works at all in the meantime.
Sounds good - it is really acting odd, but there has got to be a pattern we are missing - to bad Quiksand isn't interested in the PLA, he'd sniff it out in a hurry:

When I start a game with the PLA database, Canada is not a selectable nation and neither is Sweden. So I'll start a game with another country, Scotland for example, just to get the game going. I take over a team and then go to World -> Major Clubs - View All. That brings up every club in the game. Then I'll filter on Canada, and lo and behold, some of the teams are visible. Most of the former MLS teams, a few teams I created, and an odd lower division team. Going back into the database, I'm unable to decipher the difference between a team that was visible like DC United and one that isn't like the Grand Rapids Whitecaps. I'll keep testing to see what I edit and how affects what teams show up. I think getting every team visible to the game is what will allow the country to be selectable.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #235
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Dola - Never mind that....

Pulling up a game with the original database does the same thing - only some of the country's teams show up. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as to what clubs are viewable. Drat.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #236
GoDukes
Mascot

What is everyone using for FM08 graphics
GoDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #237
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Toddzilla - I looked at yours and could not figure out what issue(s) are. I will take another look at tonight.

After my Israel swap not working and now Toddzillas, I decided to try a true Canada swap ( leaving all USA leagues alone) as a test to see if there are other issues with the editor. I found the South African with two playable divisions , 4 Cup competitions & 87 total clubs and it seemed like the best and quickest swap to test. There are 44 Canadian clubs in the database, so I had to create 43 Canadian clubs which was not to bad.

I simmed 4 seasons with no crashes, hooray!!

After thinking about it, I am truly looking forward to MLS in this latest version. The Superliga, new playoff format and DP slot has potential for fun. I think after some patching the MLS will be a solid challange and immersive. So, I am going to fine tune my Canadian league to be a "lower" league to MLS.

I spent most the day, wife and kids at inlaws, tweaking . All I am left with is creating rivalries & a few stadiums for non playable divisions. I will upload probably tomorrow or monday and you guys are free to do what ever you want with it. I prefer lower league play and have it set up as such.

Note : I do not plan on filling rosters with players for created teams. So a few seasons of simming will be required for clubs to sign and fill out their roster.

Last edited by Bea-Arthurs Hip : 10-27-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #238
gi
College Prospect

Found an error with WSM Editor, it saves your edited database under FM2008, you'll need to move it to the WSM2008 directoy to be able to choose it.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #239
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
Found an error with WSM Editor, it saves your edited database under FM2008, you'll need to move it to the WSM2008 directoy to be able to choose it.
Not sure exactly what you're saying, but I have WWSM08, and the databases I create and save are put in the proper WWSM08 directory.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #240
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you're saying, but I have WWSM08, and the databases I create and save are put in the proper WWSM08 directory.

The CD version is putting them in a FM2008 directory
Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #241
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Ordered my copy today!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #242
cougarfreak
College Starter

I'm patiently waiting for my copy from Amazon, even though i could DD it from SI. I wanted to support the American CD version.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #243
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I'm patiently waiting for my copy from Amazon, even though i could DD it from SI. I wanted to support the American CD version.

Either way you're getting WWSM instead of FM right? Amazon don't deserve the business with such a shambolic release IMO.

Plus, not having to put the CD in each time you have to play is nice.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #244
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Either way you're getting WWSM instead of FM right? Amazon don't deserve the business with such a shambolic release IMO.

There's ways around that. Besides, I just like having a hard copy -- and I can't play until 11/6 anyway.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #245
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think you will notice more than "a little" slowdown when you get a few years in. The slowdown seems to increase exponentially.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #246
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

I've always had elicensing issues in the past, first time I got the CD version.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #247
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

FWIW, I'm working through the second shot at a PLA in Sweden, and I'm saving after every couple of steps, firing up the game, and verifying that Sweden loads. So far so good.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:55 PM   #248
dacman
College Benchwarmer

My WWSM CD showed up today. Not yet having a patch, I decided to fire it up and just fiddle around a bit. Started off unemployed, sunday-league footballer experience. Went on holiday until offered a job. First offer? Racing (La Liga). Ugh.

Last edited by dacman : 10-27-2007 at 11:59 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #249
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

amazon can blow me with the way they've tooled this up. Not that i'd play without the patch, but I want my goddamm cd
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:16 AM   #250
dacman
College Benchwarmer

It has nothing to do with Amazon (at least if you pre-ordered). Somewhere between SI and Sega, the ball was dropped (probably by Sega). Amazon did not even have stock until the 24th. Why? Because someone somewhere thought the 23rd was the "ship" date. The date to ship to costomers? NO! The date for Sega to ship to retailers! At least that's my understanding of the situation per one of the SI guys on their message board. Now, If Amazon is still sitting on your recent order, then that's their fault.