Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #201
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zē+ View Post
I consider myself an avid baseball follower, but I haven't seen this before, and am unclear on the rules. In tonight's Pirates/Braves game, an Atlanta pitcher started the inning pitching, then moved to left field for a batter, then came back to the mound and pitched again. Was this permitted because he didn't technically leave the game? And if so, why isn't this technique utilized more often (the defensive shortcomings can't be THAT great, especially for just one batter). Any of you grognards have any insight?

Ya, there's no special rules about being a pitcher when it comes to substitutions, they're just like everyone else. Once they leave, they're gone. But managers can move guys who are in the game around at will, with no limitations.

This technique definitely happened a lot more in the 80s - these days, with deeper, more specialized bullpens, it makes more sense to just pull the guy. And the defense shortcomings CAN be pretty great, depending on the skill of the batter, fielding skills of the pitcher. If you put Todd Jones out in right field, a good hitter can just send a routine fly ball out there and it'd be an adventure.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #202
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, there's no special rules about being a pitcher when it comes to substitutions, they're just like everyone else. Once they leave, they're gone. But managers can move guys who are in the game around at will, with no limitations.

This technique definitely happened a lot more in the 80s - these days, with deeper, more specialized bullpens, it makes more sense to just pull the guy. And the defense shortcomings CAN be pretty great, depending on the skill of the batter, fielding skills of the pitcher. If you put Todd Jones out in right field, a good hitter can just send a routine fly ball out there and it'd be an adventure.

make your pitchers take fly balls once a week. Shit...they all did it in little league i'd be willing to bet
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #203
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would think it could be an injury concern, I wouldn't want my pitcher running into the wall or pulling a hamy
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #204
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

*dances a jig about the Royals*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #205
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
*dances a jig about the Royals*

SI

Hey, I recall discussing with you that I think Greinke's going to be great this year. Control like he has is simply unnatural, and the fact that he has the stuff to go with it...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #206
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I was watching the Pirates feed of the game at the time, and a good question was posed - actually, the question came off-camera from Kent Tekulve - was it proper for the pitcher to be permitted additional warm-up tosses after he came back to the mound? It wasn't the beginning of the inning, it wasn't his first time in the game, and there was no injury. Not sure he should have been. If the Braves are going to try this more than once, someone ought to answer the question.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #207
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3328114

Quote:
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Hawk attacks 'A-Rod' on school tour of Fenway, draws blood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

BOSTON -- A 13-year-old girl touring Fenway Park on a school trip was attacked by a resident red-tailed hawk that drew blood from her scalp Thursday.

She wasn't seriously hurt, but some observers saw an omen for a certain New York Yankees slugger in the attack at the home of the Boston Red Sox. The girl's name is Alexa Rodriguez.

Vince Jennetta, a teacher who chaperoned her class trip from Memorial Boulevard Middle School in Bristol, Conn., told The Boston Globe that Alexa is "a little shaken, but OK."

The hawk was perched on a railing in the upper deck behind home plate while the group toured the stadium. The hawk flew at the girl and swooped with its talons extended, scratching her scalp.

A single egg lay in the hawk's nearby nest in an overhang near the stadium's press booth.

The nest and egg were removed at the direction of state wildlife officials.

LOL

Even though I do like A-Rod and think of the Red Sox as Yankees Lite, this story amused the Hell out of me.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-04-2008 at 02:05 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #208
MikeVic
Head Coach

She took it better than ARod would.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #209
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

JR Towles, the 'rookie' catcher for the Astros gets a 2 run homer to give them the lead over the hated Cubs. WooHoo. CF Bourn then gets all three outs in the bottom of the inning, with one a nice diving catch.

Those two are becoming two of my favorite players very quickly. I am loving the Astros more then ever with those two guys and Pence giving some new blood to the team. Berkman, Tejada, and Lee are good guys too.

Just need some pitchers beside Oswalt to like now, hopefully someone steps up.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #210
Ksyrup

Since when do the Astros and Cubs have some big rivalry? Or do you just hate the Cubs?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #211
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I hate the Cubs, and pretty much the whole city of Chicago and anything to do with it.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #212
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I hate the Cubs, and pretty much the whole city of Chicago and anything to do with it.

+1, not the whole city and while there are good people there, I despise Cubs fans.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #213
watravaler
High School JV

I consider any divisional opponent a rival, and that bastard Pyrzisnki(sic) is beyond hot...

Too bad for the kittens...that pitching staff is going to sink them...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #214
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Hey, I recall discussing with you that I think Greinke's going to be great this year. Control like he has is simply unnatural, and the fact that he has the stuff to go with it...

Yeah, Greinke has incredible stuff and I hope he's finally turned the corner. His numbers since the All-Star break last year and very strong. I've got him on my fantasy team and I suggest some of you guys do the same. I hope this is finally his breakout year!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #215
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gonna have to wait another day to see my boy John Maine pitch
Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #216
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
that bastard Pyrzisnki(sic) is beyond hot...

Huh?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #217
Ksyrup

Ian Kennedy getting hit hard...but the ump was absolutely screwing him on some pitches. Not that I'm complaining!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #218
Buccaneer
Head Coach

K, remind me again. Are you pro-Rays or anti-Yankees (or both)?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #219
Ksyrup

Definitely anti-Yanks. I think I'm going to enjoy watching the Rays - good young team. But even so, Kennedy was on the ropes and the ump absolutely hung him on a couple of pitches. He had a 2-1 pitch right down the middle called a ball, and with the bases loaded, he grooved the next pitch and the dude hit a bases-clearing double.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #220
MikeVic
Head Coach

Decent pitcher's duel in Toronto right now.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #221
Calis
College Starter

Good start for the Royals here, lets keep this sole undefeated team in baseball going another day.

Last edited by Calis : 04-04-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #222
MikeVic
Head Coach

Frick nice catch by Rolen's replacement!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #223
saldana
Pro Starter

bwahahahahahahahahaha...yankees bullpen.....bwahahahahahahahaha.....latroy hawkins blows....bwahahahahahahahahaha.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #224
Ksyrup

As a Yankee Hater, I know I'm going to have far more lows than highs this year. But tonight's one I'm glad to be watching. 6 runs off of Kennedy, then Sonnanstine immediately gave back 4, but he settled down and the Rays put up 7 (and counting) in the 8th. Haha!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #225
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
bwahahahahahahahahaha...yankees bullpen.....bwahahahahahahahaha.....latroy hawkins blows....bwahahahahahahahahaha.

*virtual high five*
Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #226
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Ian Kennedy getting hit hard...but the ump was absolutely screwing him on some pitches. Not that I'm complaining!

the umps in this game have been horrible the entire game....the guy behind the plate has no idea what the strike zone is, and the upton "tag out" at first was an utterly horrendous call.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #227
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
*virtual high five*

*virtural buys round of beers for other anti-yankees*
Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #228
Ksyrup

Yeah, Carlos Pena got screwed on a few calls, too. At one point, the Yankees announcers just gave up trying to pretend the calls were strikes and admitted they weren't.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #229
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
I was watching the Pirates feed of the game at the time, and a good question was posed - actually, the question came off-camera from Kent Tekulve - was it proper for the pitcher to be permitted additional warm-up tosses after he came back to the mound? It wasn't the beginning of the inning, it wasn't his first time in the game, and there was no injury. Not sure he should have been. If the Braves are going to try this more than once, someone ought to answer the question.

Interesting that Tekulve asked that question; since he was involved in such a situation during his career with the Pirates.

Here's a link to other examples: http://www.baseball-reference.com/sotd/archives/175

Last edited by henry296 : 04-04-2008 at 08:58 PM.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #230
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Gonna have to wait another day to see my boy John Maine pitch

which blows...its one less game i will get for free...i may end up buying extra innings...i realized during the week that i am gonna be home every monday through thursday night all season long...do you have 200 bucks i can borrow?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #231
Ksyrup

Yeah, the comment from one of the announcers was, "He should know."
Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #232
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
which blows...its one less game i will get for free...i may end up buying extra innings...i realized during the week that i am gonna be home every monday through thursday night all season long...do you have 200 bucks i can borrow?

no but I will be getting the internet package wink wink

also always nice to see the yanks lose, point at your wife and laugh for me
Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #233
Ksyrup

Married to a Yankees fan? God Lord, man! Have you no standards?!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #234
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

with the exception of that obvious charecture flaw I love her like a sister
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #235
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
no but I will be getting the internet package wink wink

also always nice to see the yanks lose, point at your wife and laugh for me

she gave you the finger
Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #236
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

its tough...her dad and her brother are fanatics too...we didnt speak at all for 2 weeks in october 2000.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #237
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I take back my previous comment
Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #238
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
with the exception of that obvious charecture flaw I love her like a sister

glad you arent from west virginia.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #239
Ksyrup

Ha! I met my wife in South Florida. Lucky for her, she was an FSU fan and not a Hurricane fan. I probably wouldn't have agreed to the first date if she rooted for Miami.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #240
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals bats not great tonight and Bale gives up 4 in 6 and change, so there are no longer any unbeaten teams with the Royals losing 4-3.

SI

Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #241
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Of course Greinke has the ability. Need to see how his head is, tho. He could go anywhere from 7-15 with a 5.50 to 18-5, 2.50 and neither would surprise me. Nor would "walks off the mound in the middle of a game and decides he wants to sell stadium hot dogs for a living".

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-04-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #242
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #243
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Well if you are going to get all sensative (and give me more fuel for the fire), then I will ease off a little and say I am sure there are a couple decent people there.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #244
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Ugh. The Nats left THIRTEEN on base.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #245
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

We're not going to win this game, but it's fun to see my team try to come back from 11-0 in the ninth. 11-6 now (2 outs).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #246
MrBug708
Head Coach

So is Billingsley now a MR pitcher?

The Dodgers new pitcher pitched pretty damn well tonight. 1 run, 3 hits over 7 innings?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:27 AM   #247
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

The Dodgers new pitcher pitched pretty damn well tonight. 1 run, 3 hits over 7 innings?

He better not be. I didn't draft him to be a MR.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #248
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hunter got a single, Willits to third. GA flies out to deep, deep RF. Little more and it would have been 11-9. Fun while it lasted.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #249
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

I think Torre was just trying to get him work after he was scratched yesterday. As of right now he's still scheduled to start Tuesday.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #250
Atocep
Coordinator

Corey Patterson has a walk, a stolen base, and a homer today. Dusty now has him penciled into the leadoff spot until at least the all star break.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote