Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #301
MikeVic
Head Coach

Damn TSN score person. They showed 9-8 for whatever reason at the top of the 9th when it was really 8-8. And then there's a single, and a triple to make it 9-8 for the As. Thanks for the jinx!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #302
Buccaneer
Head Coach

From this week's Power Rankings

Quote:
After Week 1, the Cards have the major's best ERA among starters at 1.21. It can't possibly last, but pitching coach Dave Duncan is a genius.

Understatement of the decade.

Quote:
If Trevor Hoffman hadn't gotten off to the anti-Jake Peavy start, the Padres might have the best record in baseball right now.

No shit. They could easily be 7-1 right now, better than the 5-1 O's and Brews.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #303
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How many years of free agency did they buy out? Just 1 and a bunch of arby years?

SI
1, maybe 2 with the team option. It's very similar to what Colorado did with Troy. What's nice (in addition to the 1 or 2 years of FA) is that Arizona knows exactly how much he will cost each season. When you have a budget in the $70-80 million range ($20 mil per are deferred until 2010), it's nice to know that Young will make between $4 and $7 million in his arb years and $8 for his first season of FA eligibility.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #304
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I love the Tigers, but even as a huge fan, I'm getting a sick, twisted sort of delight watching a team with a $130 payroll getting thumped, and looking confused.

I still think they'll pull out of it.

Meanwhile, the Royals, Orioles and Brewers are playing extremely well. Granted, the Orioles have a pretty good size payroll, but they're usually the team that finds a way to lose a ton of games with a $100M+ payroll. Evidently that role has been passed to the Tigers for the time being.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #305
Logan
Head Coach

Teams locking up their young guys to long deals, even if it only keeps them in town for an extra year or two, is going to show to be one of the smartest ideas in awhile.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #306
Calis
College Starter

Greinke looking great again tonight.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #307
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

Yes sir. I'm glad he's on my fantasy team.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #308
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Cubs and Pirates are in the 15th inning.... Let me go to bed already...
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #309
korme
Go Reds

Corey Patterson is on steroids.

And BPhillips just straight up makes plays happens.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #310
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

I was at that game. It was cold and wet and miserable and we spent pretty much from the 3rd inning on in the concourse. Didn't seem to bother Greinke, tho.

Also, once we went up there in the third, I called John Buck's homer in the 3rd. Although I called it as a walkoff home run where they called the game after. When he hit it- my wife and friend just stared at me dumbfounded as I proclaimed that I am clearly a deity.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-09-2008 at 11:46 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #311
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, another thing of note. The game was not really expected to get in and it was raining pretty much the entire game so Girardi scratched Ian Kennedy and started Brian Bruney, long reliever, instead. So, they burned through 4 pitchers (including Kennedy who gave up 2 in 2 innings), trying to be cutesy with the weather forecast.

SI

Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #312
Vince
Pro Starter

That's like what Bochy and the Giants did last week, only not as bad. In bullet form:

-Chance of Rain, Torre and co. decide to shelve Billingsley, and tell Bochy and co. so.
-Bochy decides to shelve Lincecum as well.
-Lincecum comes in anyways in the 4th, even though it started to lightly rain in the 3rd.
-Rain delay starts after the 4th inning, lasts one hour.
-Lincecum comes out AFTER the rain delay, continues to pitch.

I mean, what the f***? You decide that you want to protect Lincecum from a potential rain delay, put him in anyways as a reliever AFTER it starts to rain, and then keep him in there after he's been sitting around for an hour?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #313
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
That's like what Bochy and the Giants did last week, only not as bad. In bullet form:

-Chance of Rain, Torre and co. decide to shelve Billingsley, and tell Bochy and co. so.
-Bochy decides to shelve Lincecum as well.
-Lincecum comes in anyways in the 4th, even though it started to lightly rain in the 3rd.
-Rain delay starts after the 4th inning, lasts one hour.
-Lincecum comes out AFTER the rain delay, continues to pitch.

I mean, what the f***? You decide that you want to protect Lincecum from a potential rain delay, put him in anyways as a reliever AFTER it starts to rain, and then keep him in there after he's been sitting around for an hour?

He should have been fired before Lincecum had a chance to throw a pitch after the delay. Stupid decisions similar to this is why Joe Girardi was fired and why the Marlins struggled to find any healthy pitchers last season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #314
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not sure how the numbers stack up now, but I heard this on the radio yesterday after the Angels' 4-HR game against the Tribe: as of that point, they were leading either the AL or all MLB with 14 HRs.

Go figure (and how long can we make it last?).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #315
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Brett Myers pitches 8 innings tonight against the Cubs FTW.
This after giving up back-to-back homers in the first.

Nice showing after a so-so(opening) and awful(2nd) start.

Now if the rest of the Phillie bats can get going....
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #316
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I know he's on the Rays and I don't wish any ill will towards a struggling franchise, but can I be allowed to root for Evan Longoria "only" hitting .270 with 12 homers this season so all the "fantasy experts" get egg on their face for expecting every hot prospect that comes along to hit like Ryan Braun's rookie stats?

SI

Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ezio_0412.html

Washington — Scott Spiezio was only two months out of a substance abuse treatment center when the Braves signed him to a minor league contract two weeks ago. It apparently wasn't long enough.

The Braves released Spiezio on Saturday after he showed up to a AAA Richmond Braves game unprepared to play Friday, according to Braves general manager Frank Wren.

"We had an agreement with Scott," Wren said. "There were three things we asked him to do: No. 1 is to continue his aftercare, which included testing, No. 2, that he attend AA [meetings] and No. 3 he would show up at the park every day ready to play. And yesterday he was not ready to play."

Wren declined further comment on why Spiezio was unprepared to play. Spiezio's agent Barry Meister declined to comment on specifics on Saturday as well.

"We appreciate the Braves being so sensitive," Meister said. "[Scott] is going to go home and spend time with his kids and continue to work on his aftercare."
Spiezio was hitting .333 (7-for-21) in five games for Richmond. The Richmond Braves were playing their first road game of the year Friday in Allentown, Pa., against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.

"Dave Brundage, our AAA manager, was really saddened when I talked to him," Wren said. "He thought Scott was making good progress on all fronts. He just needs more time.

"He needs to be in an environment where he can get the care he needs. It's more important for him to be in a stable environment rather than traveling."
Old 04-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #318
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ezio_0412.html

Washington — Scott Spiezio was only two months out of a substance abuse treatment center when the Braves signed him to a minor league contract two weeks ago. It apparently wasn't long enough.

The Braves released Spiezio on Saturday after he showed up to a AAA Richmond Braves game unprepared to play Friday, according to Braves general manager Frank Wren.

"We had an agreement with Scott," Wren said. "There were three things we asked him to do: No. 1 is to continue his aftercare, which included testing, No. 2, that he attend AA [meetings] and No. 3 he would show up at the park every day ready to play. And yesterday he was not ready to play."

Wren declined further comment on why Spiezio was unprepared to play. Spiezio's agent Barry Meister declined to comment on specifics on Saturday as well.

"We appreciate the Braves being so sensitive," Meister said. "[Scott] is going to go home and spend time with his kids and continue to work on his aftercare."
Spiezio was hitting .333 (7-for-21) in five games for Richmond. The Richmond Braves were playing their first road game of the year Friday in Allentown, Pa., against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.

"Dave Brundage, our AAA manager, was really saddened when I talked to him," Wren said. "He thought Scott was making good progress on all fronts. He just needs more time.

"He needs to be in an environment where he can get the care he needs. It's more important for him to be in a stable environment rather than traveling."

bummer. sad to hear
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #319
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I know he's on the Rays and I don't wish any ill will towards a struggling franchise, but can I be allowed to root for Evan Longoria "only" hitting .270 with 12 homers this season so all the "fantasy experts" get egg on their face for expecting every hot prospect that comes along to hit like Ryan Braun's rookie stats?

SI

They've had egg on their face for years. When was the last time the "surefire ROY" actually won it? Your boy Alex Gordon was a colossal failure last year from that perspective.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #320
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Is "showing up not ready to play" them trying to say he was drunk/hanged over in a nice way for us sensative civilians?
Old 04-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #321
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

SI

How many times has he been called Eva Longoria by fans or anyone else? I know that is how I read it and I was confused for a second on why you where talking about her playing baseball.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #322
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
They've had egg on their face for years. When was the last time the "surefire ROY" actually won it? Your boy Alex Gordon was a colossal failure last year from that perspective.

That was why I was trying to temper people's expectations of Gordon last year. Rookies just don't hit that well very often no matter how good they are.

SI

Old 04-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #323
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
How many times has he been called Eva Longoria by fans or anyone else? I know that is how I read it and I was confused for a second on why you where talking about her playing baseball.

I had to go back and make sure I didn't put in "Eva Longoria" myself

SI

Old 04-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #324
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
That was why I was trying to temper people's expectations of Gordon last year. Rookies just don't hit that well very often no matter how good they are.

SI
I'm going nuts over Justin Upton right now. He looks like a right-handed Griffey Jr and has been insane so for this season. I'm sure he'll come down to life soon, but he is amazing to watch.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #325
watravaler
High School JV

So, I'm watching Cole Hammels pitch, and I notice the Cubs are hitting every ball hard/far/etc...but have nothing to show for it...any Saber-heads want to point me in the right direction regarding how to tell if a pitcher is getting lucky? Thanks in advance...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #326
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
So, I'm watching Cole Hammels pitch, and I notice the Cubs are hitting every ball hard/far/etc...but have nothing to show for it...any Saber-heads want to point me in the right direction regarding how to tell if a pitcher is getting lucky? Thanks in advance...

Disclaimer: Small sample sizes are dangerous.

Through 7 innings Hammels struck out 5, walked 2, and allowed 1 hit. So he faced 24 batters, 17 put the ball in play, only 1 had a hit. So the Cubs had a .058 BABIP against him today and league average is roughly .300. You'd expect the Cubs to have 5-6 hits instead of just 1.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #327
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm going nuts over Justin Upton right now. He looks like a right-handed Griffey Jr and has been insane so for this season. I'm sure he'll come down to life soon, but he is amazing to watch.

I wouldn't expect him to come down too far. I'd be surprised if he didn't put up a 20 year old season similar to A-Rod's.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 AM   #328
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gotta love the Giants. Dude pitches a no hitter threw 6, goes deep even, and still loses
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #329
Bad-example
College Starter

Cain is the ace
Lincecum in your face
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #330
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Gotta love the Giants. Dude pitches a no hitter threw 6, goes deep even, and still loses

That's Matt Cain for you. I think he ran over a family of black cats at one point or went crazy in a mirror shop. Or maybe he has a Dodgers shirt buried in the foundation of his home.

SI

Old 04-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #331
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Finally the 9 game losing streak is over. Ugh.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #332
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Well, so far, the Giants and Dodgers have pretty similar records...
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #333
MrBug708
Head Coach

Indeed
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #334
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Was last night the game that gets the Tigers going? Down 5-0 in the 6th and 9-4 in the 7th, they rally for 1 in the 7th and 6 in the 8th to beat the Twins.

Royals get another nice pitching performance as Bannister and Greinke both improve to 3-0 with back to back complete game wins.

SI

Old 04-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #335
miami_fan
Coordinator

PING: Mark Shapiro and Eric Wedge

Why is Joe Borowski still closing for your Indians?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Royals get another nice pitching performance as Bannister and Greinke both improve to 3-0 with back to back complete game wins.

SI

Greinke and Bannister are throwing some absolutely filthy stuff. They're not biting corners either. They're throwing strikes, which is wonderful to see. If Meche pulls himself together, that's a stiff 1-2-3 to deal with for any team.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #337
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
PING: Mark Shapiro and Eric Wedge

Why is Joe Borowski still closing for your Indians?

We Tribe fans have no idea. Wedge and Shapiro knew Joe Blowsavski's velocity was down and his previous outing was a horrendous failure so I'm not sure why they'd put him in that situation last night. And I do blame Wedge and Shapiro for this one. They've done a lot of great things for the organization but clearly Joe Borowski is done as a ML pitcher. The organization's insistence on keeping him in that role until yesterday, in the face of numerous blowups and failures, is mind-boggling to say the least.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #338
samifan24
Pro Starter

This just in: Zack Greinke is still nasty.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #339
Logan
Head Coach

Borowski's been placed on the DL with a wounded ego.

Last edited by Logan : 04-15-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #340
MikeVic
Head Coach

A Royals/Reds World Series would be cool.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #341
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We're going to have to fix our offense and our 4th starter first. Bale was doing ok until last night (a pair of 6 IP, 4 ER games until not making it out of the 4th last night) but nothing special. Tomko has actually done good in the 5th spot with a pair of quality starts. Meche has started walking a ton of people, nibbling a bit too much, and that's going to have to stop. He'll get a chance tonight against Anaheim.

The bigger problem is that in 14 games, they have scored 6 once and 5 twice and the other 11 games, 4 or less. That's going to have to change.

SI

Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #342
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
We're going to have to fix our offense and our 4th starter first. Bale was doing ok until last night (a pair of 6 IP, 4 ER games until not making it out of the 4th last night) but nothing special. Tomko has actually done good in the 5th spot with a pair of quality starts. Meche has started walking a ton of people, nibbling a bit too much, and that's going to have to stop. He'll get a chance tonight against Anaheim.

The bigger problem is that in 14 games, they have scored 6 once and 5 twice and the other 11 games, 4 or less. That's going to have to change.

SI

Hochaver has a 1-1 record and a 2.60 ERA through 3 games at Omaha. Bale's probably got 2 starts at the most to straighten himself out. He had a 5.79 ERA coming into last night, which isn't even doing OK IMO. It's inevitable that Hochaver will be in the rotation, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-16-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #343
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

John Maine needs to start throwing some strikes
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #344
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
John Maine needs to start throwing some strikes

I tend to disagree.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #345
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It's about time that Meche gave KC a quality start. Hopefully this will settle him down. Excited to see if Bannister and Greinke can both go 4-0 over the next two nights.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #346
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's about time that Meche gave KC a quality start. Hopefully this will settle him down. Excited to see if Bannister and Greinke can both go 4-0 over the next two nights.

I'm pretty sure that will be a tall order as Tomko is pitching tonight

That said, cut Gil some slack. He was lights out last year and if he struggles for a couple of games early, I think he's earned a little bit of a free pass. Have you seen Roy Oswalt's ERA until last night? Or Josh Beckett or CC Sabathia?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-17-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #347
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that will be a tall order as Tomko is pitching tonight

That said, cut Gil some slack. He was lights out last year and if he struggles for a couple of games early, I think he's earned a little bit of a free pass. Have you seen Roy Oswalt's ERA until last night? Or Josh Beckett or CC Sabathia?

SI

Ah, hadn't checked the starters yet. Guess the off-days have mixed up the rotation already.

I like Gil........as long as he pitches like a $11M pitcher.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #348
MikeVic
Head Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3351418

Tejada is two years older than everyone though.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #349
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bet Soriano is prolly 4 years older.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #350
MikeVic
Head Coach

Pujuols is six years older.