Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #51
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I think criticism of Turco is one of the most ridiculous things in hockey. I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't reccomend this if your team has to play many games against the Wings. He's 2-9-5 lifetime against the Wings with a .899 sv %. I don't think he's ever won at Joe Louis Arena.

I know he had struggled in the past in the playoffs, but I thought he sort of shook that off last year. He was amazing, unfortunately Luongo was just a little bit better.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #52
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm bracing for the ripping from the Wings fans, but I would rather see them than Dallas or San Jose. I just think we match up better with a less physical team.

No. No ripping. Anaheim and San Jose are the favorites in the West. I would rather face Detroit than either of those teams.

As for Dallas, I don't think they're really that much more physical than the Wings, especially if, due to some injuries up front, the Wings dress both Downey and McCarty.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #53
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

turco really did stand on his head last year, but I'm going with history. Turco will lose. It's all his fault Modano and Ribero won't score.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #54
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am now a fan of Bob Duff.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...2-ec257ee017d6

Too soft. Too old. Too European. Too weak. No heart.

To listen to the National Hockey League's talking heads talk about the Detroit Red Wings, if the Wings don't set up a meeting with the Wizard of Oz and fast, their chances of capturing the Stanley Cup are non-existent.
Some of hockey's loudest voices --Don Cherry from Hockey Night In Canada's Coach's Corner, Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury from TSN and NBC and Mike Emrick of NBC, gathered Monday to offer their assessment of the impending National Hockey League playoffs, and much Detroit bashing was on the agenda.

Sadly, it was simply a case of perpetuating the same tired, old myths about the Wings, who open the playoffs Thursday against the Nashville Predators.

You'd think the most recognizable analysts in the game could see past the stereotype.

"Detroit is a team that won the Jennings Trophy, won the Presidents' Trophy, has a strong candidate for the Norris and the Hart Trophies (Nicklas Lidstrom), a coach who's been mentioned as coach of the year in (Mike) Babcock and two of the top six scorers in the league (Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg) and yet there seems to be questions about them," Milbury said.

"I think the reasons are two. The first is their goaltending. Is (Dominik) Hasek going to be able to perform at the level he has done in the past and drive them deep into the playoffs? If he can't, will (Chris) Osgood?

They've been just OK.

"The second one is character. Nashville has it by the bucket load. The Europeans have smashed a lot of stereotypes, but it still raises its ugly head when you talk about Detroit. Do they have enough character, or are they going to be stamped as the Euro skill players and can Nashville intimidate them?"

TESTY RESPONSE

It's the latter criticism that causes steam to rise from the ears of the Wings' brass.

"Didn't we answer those questions last year when we went to the conference final," growled Wings general manager Ken Holland regarding his club's supposed lack of toughness.

Cherry is also of the belief that Hasek, 43, is the weak link that will cause the Wings to break.

"Hasek doesn't seem as he's got that bounce," Cherry said. "He's stopping pucks, don't get me wrong. I think he's a good goaltender. But to me, he doesn't look as alive as he used to."

Babcock was perplexed by the criticism launched at his netminders.
"Didn't we just win the Jennings?" he asked, obviously aware of the answer. "Didn't we allow the fewest shots in the league. Chris Osgood led the league in goals against all season.

"What more do they want?"

Apparently, nothing less than a Stanley Cup celebration will silence Detroit's critics.

McGuire took the Wings' secondary scoring to task.

"If Detroit can't get consistent scoring from Datsyuk and Zetterberg, it puts a lot of pressure on Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen to produce," he said.

You mean the two guys who combined to net 47 goals this season, among 10 Wings who netted double digits?

The funny thing is, all of these experts are picking the San Jose Sharks to win it all. Those would be the same Sharks who folded up their tents at the first sign of adversity in their series with Detroit last spring. Now there's a team whose character rightfully deserves to be questioned.
For these hockey mavens to raise the same issue about the Wings merely shows that they haven't been paying attention.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #55
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Round 1

EAST:
Montreal over Boston in 6
Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 4
Washington over Philadelphia in 6
Rangers over Devils in 5

WEST:
Detroit over Nashville in 5
San Jose over Calgary in 5
Colorado over Minnesota in 7
Anaheim over Dallas in 6

Round 2

EAST:
New York over Montreal in 7
Pittsburgh over Washingon in 6

WEST:
Detroit over Colorado in 6
Anaheim over San Jose in 7

Conference Finals

East:
Pittsburgh over New York in 6

West
Anaheim over Detroit in 6

Stanley Cup Finals
Anaheim over Pittsburgh in 5
Old 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Western Conference
Detroit over Nashville in 5 games
Calgary over San Jose in 6
Colorado over Minnesota in 6
Anaheim over Dallas in 6

Eastern Conference
Montreal over Boston in 5
Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 5
Philadelphia over Washington in 7
New York over New Jersey in 7
Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #57
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

West
Det over Nash 4-2
SJ over Cgy 4-2
Min over Col 4-3
Ana over Dal 4-2

East
Mtl over Bos 4-3
Pit over Ott 4-0
Wsh over Phi 4-3
NJ over NYR 4-3
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #58
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm notoriously lousy on these

Det over Nash in 5
SJ over Cal in 6
Col over Min in 6
Dal over Ana in 7

Bos over Mon in 7
Pit over Ott in 6
Was over Phi in 6
NYR over NJ in 6

San Jose was my preseason pick for the Finals (along with, get ready to laugh, Toronto) and I'll stick with them. In the East, I think it's kind of a crapshoot. When I had to make a pick for the Times blog I picked the Rangers. Then I switched to the Devils. And then switched back to NY. I don't really have a good reason why, but I guess I feel the eastern finalist will be the winner of that series.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #59
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
San Jose was my preseason pick for the Finals (along with, get ready to laugh, Toronto)
I understand each of the words individually, but this sentence makes no sense to me.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #60
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Eh, OK, I'll give this a try.

DET over NSH in 6
SJ over CAL in 6
MIN over COL in 5
ANA over DAL in 6

MON over BOS in 5
PIT over OTT in 6
PHI over WSH in 5
NYR over NJ in 6

I hate myself for that last one, but oh well.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #61
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'll keep track of it again if you guys want.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #62
MikeVic
Head Coach

Guess I'll try...

DET over NSH in 5
SJ over CAL in 6
MIN over COL in 6
ANA over DAL in 6

MON over BOS in 5
PIT over OTT in 5
WSH over PHI in 6
NJ over NYR in 7
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #63
Travis
Pro Rookie

West
Detroit over Nashville in 6
San Jose over Calgary in 7
Anaheim over Dallas in 5

East
Montreal over Boston in 5
Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 6
Philadelphia over Washington in 6
New York over New Jersey in 7
Old 04-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #64
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I hope all these predictions of a Pens sweep don't jinx us!

First round

Montreal over Boston in 6
Philly over Washington in 7
NYR over NJ in 7

San Jose over Calgary in 7
Anaheim over Dallas in 6

Conf Semis

Montreal over Philly in 6
Pittsburgh over NYR in 7

Detroit over Colorado in 6
San Jose over Anaheim in 7

Conf Finals

Pittsburgh over Montreal in 6
San Jose over Detroit in 6

SC Finals (homer alert!)

Pittsburgh over San Jose in 6
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #65
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Montreal over Boston in 6 - When's the last time these two have met in the playoffs and Montreal hasn't won?

Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 5 - Should be a high scoring series, Pens are playing good hockey right now, Sens aren't and are without the captain...not a good combo.

Washington over Philly in 5 - Both teams had to play at least decent hockey down the stretch to get in, but I like the skilled Caps to beat the tougher Flyers...the longer this series goes, however, the more of an edge I'd give to Philly.

Devils over Rangers in 7 - The Devils style of play + Brodeur's brilliance usually is a good combo for the playoffs

Detroit over Nashville in 6 - Detroit shouldn't have too much trouble but the Preds might play with new life knowing they're not playing the Sharks.

SJ over Calgary in 6 - Flames have a good style for the playoffs but they've been inconsistent this year and the Sharks are peaking at the right time.

Colorado over Minnesota in 5- Don't really know what to expect from this series, but my gut just tells me the Avs will win fairly easily.

Anaheim over Dallas in 6 - Should be a good series, but there's too many question marks that don't bode well for the Stars: Turco, poor play down the stretch, overcoming the Ducks mix of firepower and toughness (Ott, for example, will have to be a little less of a pussy if they want to match up in this category), etc.

Can't wait for tomorrow...Go Sharks!
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #66
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Wings over Preds in 6
Flames over Sharks in 5
Wild over Avs in 6
Stars over Ducks in 7

Habs over Bruins in 5
Pens over Sens in 6
Caps over Flyers in 5
Rangers over Devils in 6

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #67
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
NYR over NJ in 6

I hate myself for that last one, but oh well.

I completely agree, but could not force myself to pick the rangers, no matter how hard i tried. i'd rather be wrong than type that we could lose to fucking gomez.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #68
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think I'm going to game 4 of the NYR/NJ series! Woohoo!

If this post jinxes it I will crawl into a corner and die.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #69
Vince
Pro Starter

I'm just retarded. Don't mind me.

Go Sharks.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 04-08-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #70
Pyser
Pro Rookie

does anyone with center ice have a playoff schedule? i have no info as to who is on what channel....which makes games tough to record while im at work
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #71
Simms
FOBL Commish

Not strictly playoff-related, though I suspect the timing isn't entirely accidental ....

TSN has finally let loose with their redesign ... huge huge improvement.

http://www.tsn.ca/

Last edited by Simms : 04-08-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #72
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think I'm going to game 4 of the NYR/NJ series! Woohoo!

If this post jinxes it I will crawl into a corner and die.

I have every other Penguins home game (as a partial season holder). But I am torn. My game would be Friday night. They aren't the best seats in the world, but they are OK. I pay $40 a piece. Someone at work offered me $150 a piece. I can't pass that up.

And that's just round one. I'll pay for the playoffs AND next season at this rate.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #73
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
- Washington over Philadelphia in 6
When a team is playing as great of hockey as Washington to make the playoffs, it translates over nicely into the chase for Lord Stanley's cup. Philly has no D, and though the Cap's D is also flakey, their offense has more punch then the Flyers.

They may have no one in the league of Ovechkin but the Flyers have 7 players that scored 20 or more goals this year. That's some pretty good scoring depth. What I am hoping is that the Caps feasted on the weaker Southeast Division for almost a month now and people have a wrong impression of them. While the Flyers had to battle through the Atlantic and still made it out.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #74
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I have every other Penguins home game (as a partial season holder). But I am torn. My game would be Friday night. They aren't the best seats in the world, but they are OK. I pay $40 a piece. Someone at work offered me $150 a piece. I can't pass that up.

And that's just round one. I'll pay for the playoffs AND next season at this rate.

I bet you could get more if you would've posted them on ticketmaster. A guy I work with got $125 a piece for the Pens/Rangers regular season game, and his tickets are in section E.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #75
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms View Post
Not strictly playoff-related, though I suspect the timing isn't entirely accidental ....

TSN has finally let loose with their redesign ... huge huge improvement.

http://www.tsn.ca/

I'm not so sure if I like it. I really dug their old layout. This one seems too much like ESPN to me. Anyone know why they got rid of the scouting reports on the player cards? I noticed they dropped around the trade deadline. I assumed it was to temporarily ease the burden on the servers, but they never came back.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #76
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
does anyone with center ice have a playoff schedule? i have no info as to who is on what channel....which makes games tough to record while im at work

they FINALLY have put up the schedule for tonight and tomorrow, but that's it. It would be nice if they could get their act together...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Go Devils. Screw the Rangers and that carpetbagger.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #78
Logan
Head Coach

It's weird hearing all my Devil fan friends say how the Rangers are so much better, guaranteed to win, etc. I'm hoping that by pointing out their attempts at reverse psychology, I can reverse the effect they are trying to cause.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #79
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

It's official, I'll be in section 220 of MSG next wednesday night! Sweet! I can't wait to heckle people. I think I'll be a Rangers fan for the night and pick on Brodeur :P
Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #80
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Great news: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2338...headlines_main

"Mick McGeough, who announced his retirement this season, will also not work the postseason."
Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #81
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Great news: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2338...headlines_main

"Mick McGeough, who announced his retirement this season, will also not work the postseason."
Old 04-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #82
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

apparently, I was so excited I had to say it twice. it's the internet version of shouting with glee from the mountaintops.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #83
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Pardon my ignorance of the Western Conference, but have the Wings settled on a full-time goalie?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #84
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Pardon my ignorance of the Western Conference, but have the Wings settled on a full-time goalie?

I'm under the impression it's Dom. He's played the majority of the recent games.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #85
MikeVic
Head Coach

Detroit being considered "west" is weird.

Last edited by MikeVic : 04-09-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #86
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Detroit being considered "west" is weird.

Don't get me started. It's BS I have to stay up until one AM for two series minimum if they make it to the Cup. But the West needs to Detroit, they put a lot of fans in the seats.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #87
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'm under the impression it's Dom. He's played the majority of the recent games.

You are correct, sir. They will be going with Hasek.

I see a lot of 2-1/3-2 type games with the Wings out shooting their opponent 42-14.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #88
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You are correct, sir. They will be going with Hasek.
So he's the full-time starter (barring injury or prolonged slump)?

Or is it a Gerber/Emery scenario where one bad game could mean the other guy gets the ball.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #89
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Or is it a Gerber/Emery scenario where one bad game could mean the other guy gets the ball.

Probably won't. If Hasek struggles and we go down 2-0, then Osgood will come in, but that's the only scenario I can see.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #90
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

More the former than the latter. Hasek would have to get injured or play very, very poorly and Osgood play very well in relief for Babcock to make a switch.

I think the intention all along has been to keep Hasek fresh and healthy for the playoffs.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #91
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Any word on which round Hasek has chosen to fake his injury in?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #92
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

please stop causing problems
Old 04-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #93
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He has to consult with Crosby first because they both don't want to fake at the same time, that'll take the limelight off of one another.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #94
MikeVic
Head Coach

What about Forsberg?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #95
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

East
Montreal over Boston in 4
Philly over Washington in 7
New York over New Jersey in 6

West
San Jose over Calgary in 6
Minnesota over Colorado in 7
Anaheim over Dallas in 6
Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #96
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Spoiler
Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #97
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thanks for using the Spoiler Tags this year. It's greatly appreciated.

Oh, and:

Spoiler
Old 04-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #98
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think the roof just blew off Mellon Arena...Gary Roberts scored in the first minute to make it 1-0 Pens.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #99
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Where the hell are all these games on? VS is in the upper tier DISH package, kind of stupid to limit their market like this. But i guess it's par for the course for the NHL.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #100
stevew
Hall Of Famer

nevermind
FSN's schedule was wrong.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote