Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #151
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
But Marty Lapointe takes a STUPID high sticking penalty with about 1:20 left. Ryan Malone scores on the PP with a minute left, and adds the empty netter, Pens 5-3. If that was Ottawa's big push, this series is over.

Yeah, it was good to see that Martin LaPointe is still Martin LaPointe. He killed the Wings multiple times doing stuff like that at critical junctures.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #152
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
he may have tried to kick it, but after seeing a few different angles it looks like the puck missed his foot entirely and went off of Salei's toe instead. Tough break for the Avs - the Wild have 5 goals, and two of them have been fluky deflections off an Avalanche skate in front.

once again, if you aren't watching, you're missing great hockey. This game was tied 1-1 late in the 3rd, but Mikko Koivu (who has KILLED the Avs his whole career) fires a 60' curveball that fools Jose Theodore to make it 2-1. The Avs pull their goalie and shortly thereafter Kim Johnsson hooks Ryan Smyth in front of the net to give the Avs a 6 on 4 PP. The Wild were crazy about the call, but it was a good one - Johnsson definitely hooked him, and Smyth probably would have scored if he hadn't. The Avs convert on the PP with 43 seconds left to send it into OT. where, of course, Keith Carney wins it.

Carney, as you know, is a sniper. He started slowly this year, with just zero goals in his first 60 games. But he scored one against the Avs in the final game of the season and now has 2 goals in his last 3 games, both against Colorado. We're going to need to make note of him every time he steps...er, lumbers on to the ice.

I'm with you, DD. This has been a great series. Colorado scares me. They really have a ton of talent up front and they're all healthy now. Theodore has looked solid too.

I still like the Avs in this one. They have a ton more firepower up front and the goaltending matchup has been more or less even to this point
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #153
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah, it was good to see that Martin LaPointe is still Martin LaPointe. He killed the Wings multiple times doing stuff like that at critical junctures.

It was so terrible the penalty taken-- he was honestly trying to lift Ruutu's stick at center ice, pretty routine play-- but the timing was horrendous. I guess it's easy to say from here, but three other guys back, you let Ruutu dump that puck in. Period.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #154
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Cringe alert...Patrick Thoresen got hit in the GROIN with the puck last night and had to be hospitalized.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #155
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Cringe alert...Patrick Thoresen got hit in the GROIN with the puck last night and had to be hospitalized.

Gary Roberts would take a puck to the groin...and score on the deflection.
What a bunch of Cryers.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #156
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Gary Roberts would take a puck to the groin...and score on the deflection.
When Gary Roberts takes a puck to the groin, the puck is hospitalized.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #157
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Well the Pens have to have someone tough like Roberts to counteract the pussy Crosby. It is good to have balance on your team.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #158
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Oh I get it...so like Kapanen can skate, to offset Hatcher? Or like Dowd is generally considered an intelligent player to offset Downie? And to offset Biron, they've got....er, um....hmmmm....help me out here. Or do they pair him with "Coach" Stevens, and hope two wrongs make a right?

I actually like Philly in their series if Biron can do anything. Stop Ovechkin, stop the Caps.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #159
Schmidty
Coordinator

D MAC IS BACK!!!! Wooo!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #160
Pyser
Pro Rookie

crazy game in detroit so far

gotta love playoff hockey
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #161
Logan
Head Coach

Pumpy, the refs also missed a pretty solid hold by Blair Betts as a Devil tried moving the puck up ice with less than a minute left, I believe.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #162
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh I get it...so like Kapanen can skate, to offset Hatcher? Or like Dowd is generally considered an intelligent player to offset Downie? And to offset Biron, they've got....er, um....hmmmm....help me out here. Or do they pair him with "Coach" Stevens, and hope two wrongs make a right?

Hal Gill doesnt have blazing speed either. And just wait till Therien starts messing with the lines again...he's due to change them up.

Honestly...Philly doesn't have the defense to keep up with the Caps. It showed last night and Biron looked shaky. He goes down too quick, has no lateral movement, and just watch the Caps shoot high glove all day.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-12-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #163
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Nashville outplayed Detroit in the first two periods, but the Wings finally pulled away in the third and pretty much dominated.

Hasek had some great saves. He looked good.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #164
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hal Gill doesnt have blazing speed either. And just wait till Therien starts messing with the lines again...he's due to change them up.

I really think he's past that, Malkin is playing too well for him to tinker with anything.

Also...Hossa, meh. He is not meshing with Crosby at all.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #165
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Nashville/Detroit 2nd period was fun but, yeah, the third was kindof boring.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #166
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Also...Hossa, meh. He is not meshing with Crosby at all.

I really agree with that, actually I think Pascal Dupuis is the gem of that trade. Hossa has really been non-existant.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #167
Pyser
Pro Rookie

lets go boston!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #168
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I really agree with that, actually I think Pascal Dupuis is the gem of that trade. Hossa has really been non-existant.

Yep...rather they use the $8M it would take to keep Hossa, and put that towards keeping Malone, Dupuis and bringing in a mid-tier guy (ala Sykora). Then wrap up Malkin long term. And Fleury is a RFA. Toss in the $5M off the books with Roberts and Recchi's deals, and Orpik and Eaton becoming UFAs. One of those two could be back, but they'll have a little money to throw around at a d-man.
But retaining Hossa means lots of choices need to be made elsewhere.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #169
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The Nashville/Detroit 2nd period was fun but, yeah, the third was kindof boring.

SI

If by fun you mean "not fun" and if by boring you mean "relaxing" and "enjoyable", then I totally agree.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #170
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As for the two controversial calls in the Wings/Preds series.

I don't have too much of a problem with the Game 1 call where the linesman got hit with the puck and caused it to stay "in" the zone. It was very close, the linesman got hit and couldn't be in a position to make it. I am fine with it.

I do, however, think the Preds were jobbed in Game 2. That first "non goal" was definitely a goal. I didn't hear the whistle before it went in and the net was clearly still on its morings. It was a much easier call than Yelle's similar goal in the Sharks/Flames series, which was considered a goal.

As for Holmstrom's goalie intereference. It was close. Goals have been waived off for less, but he's also scored goals while doing more. It's a total judgment call. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the next "judgment" call went against Detroit.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #171
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Can't believe the Stars are up 2-0 over the defending champs. The good news is the Stars overcame a Ducks rally to win 5-2 last night. They have been a glass team when losing a lead this year...nice to see them able to withstand the pressure and finish the job.

But in the back of my mind, I know that the Duck now come in and win the next 2, then take one at home, lose back in Dallas, and finally win convincingly on home ice.

At least we will give them a scare, though.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #172
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Can't believe the Stars are up 2-0 over the defending champs. The good news is the Stars overcame a Ducks rally to win 5-2 last night. They have been a glass team when losing a lead this year...nice to see them able to withstand the pressure and finish the job.

But in the back of my mind, I know that the Duck now come in and win the next 2, then take one at home, lose back in Dallas, and finally win convincingly on home ice.

At least we will give them a scare, though.

Don't think that is going to happen. The Ducks are cooked, so to speak. If we give up three goals a game, we don't have the offense to win. Maybe a healthy Perry would make a difference, but I doubt it.

I would like to see Hiller get the start in Dallas for game 3, although that might be seen as a complete white flag he's actually got huge potential and Giggy just isn't getting the job done right now. It just might be the thing that changes the series. God knows the veterans are doing a piss poor job...

Unless the Ducks do a complete 180, I'd be amazed to see this series go longer than five, and I'd probably put money on 4-0.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #173
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So if the Ducks get swept, what day would the series end? When do players clean out their lockers, final meetings get held, and executive become available to speak to other teams about new jobs?

You know, just wondering.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #174
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's more powerplays this year? Every time I turn it onto hockey in these playoffs, someone is on a powerplay.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #175
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's more powerplays this year? Every time I turn it onto hockey in these playoffs, someone is on a powerplay.

That's what the fans want to see, stupid. Next year, midget goalies with no padding, goals twice as big and teams will alternate 5-on-3 powerplays throughout the game. Fans don't want to see a real sport. They just like it when that little red light goes on behind the goal. If that happens seventy bazillion times a game, we will have all the fans in the world in no time.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #176
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That's what the fans want to see, stupid. Next year, midget goalies with no padding, goals twice as big and teams will alternate 5-on-3 powerplays throughout the game. Fans don't want to see a real sport. They just like it when that little red light goes on behind the goal. If that happens seventy bazillion times a game, we will have all the fans in the world in no time.
I don't know, there's still something to be said for the denfensive game, and you have to remember....

Wait, were you being sarcastic?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #177
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Well, I'm all settled in and ready to watch the Devils try to beat the Rangers. I just saw a shot of Martin Brodeur relaxing in the locker room, and I must admit that I was hoping to see a sister-in-law of his giving him a blowjob, but no. I think that's what he needs in order to stay focused these days, and it's not happening.

Oh, well. Maybe the New Jersey offense can make up for it.

Yeah, OK, Devils fans are fucked.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #178
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I hate Sean Avery. I mean, if he's on your team, you've gotta love him, but if he's not... damn.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #179
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

In case you couldn't read Rupp's lips, the on ice mics help.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #180
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
In case you couldn't read Rupp's lips, the on ice mics help.
Hahaha, yes. That was incredible.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #181
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I hate Sean Avery. I mean, if he's on your team, you've gotta love him, but if he's not... damn.

I gotta say, I've never seen that faceguarding move Avery pulled off before.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #182
MikeVic
Head Coach

I just saw the mention the face taunting thing... if that's allowed, I think everyone should do it.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #183
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I gotta say, I've never seen that faceguarding move Avery pulled off before.

After seeing that I think the Rangers should pay him whatever he wants.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #184
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I just saw the mention the face taunting thing... if that's allowed, I think everyone should do it.

Definitely legal...it's no different than providing a screen by any normal method. Good job by Avery sticking with it despite Brodeur taking multiple shots at his balls.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #185
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't like New Jersey's chances going into overtime here. It's just because they've had trouble getting shots on goal for much of the night. They're getting the puck into the offensive zone, but they aren't getting to the net. Here's the deal: When the Devils get the puck, I don't expect them to do anything with it. When the Rangers get the puck, I hold my breath and expect the skilled New York players to score. That's not a good position to be in as a Devils fan with overtime coming up.

Here's hoping for a lucky break or something. Maybe Brylin needs to score another goal, or maybe somebody like Rupp or Zajac needs to get involved on the offensive end. Why not? The other Devils sure aren't doing much.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #186
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Go B's!

Savard with the OT winner.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #187
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Heads-up play by John Madden to win the game for New Jersey. From behind the net, he banks the puck off a Ranger's skate and through Lundqvist's legs. Game over. Whew!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #188
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Here's hoping for a lucky break or something.

Psychic Pumpy.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #189
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Definitely legal...it's no different than providing a screen by any normal method. Good job by Avery sticking with it despite Brodeur taking multiple shots at his balls.

I heard the TSN analysts or whatever talking about it, and they think it'll be visited before the next game.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #190
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Well I guess I'm done watching the Flames game now.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #191
Pyser
Pro Rookie

every devils goal feels like a miracle, but ill take it

craziness in calgary, yes
Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #192
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Great hit.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #193
Bad-example
College Starter

Not sure how that nasty elbow to the side of Marleau's face turned into a Calgary power play, but 3-1 makes this a game again.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #194
bhlloy
Coordinator

HOLY CRAP - biggest hit I have seen in a very long time. That reminded me of Wendell Clark's famous hit right there. Interesting to see how the Sharks respond with Shelley on the bench.

As for the Avery thing, it's perfectly legal but I can't believe the Devils just let him stand there for 20 seconds and get away with it. If I was the Devils coach, I would have one of my defensemen drill him in the ear as soon as the puck gets anywhere near the net. Hell, it's one of the few times you will have a clean shot at the little punk.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #195
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
HOLY CRAP - biggest hit I have seen in a very long time. That reminded me of Wendell Clark's famous hit right there. Interesting to see how the Sharks respond with Shelley on the bench.

As for the Avery thing, it's perfectly legal but I can't believe the Devils just let him stand there for 20 seconds and get away with it. If I was the Devils coach, I would have one of my defensemen drill him in the ear as soon as the puck gets anywhere near the net. Hell, it's one of the few times you will have a clean shot at the little punk.

It was a 5 on 3 at the time, which is (I'm assuming) why he did it...bringing one man exclusively to Avery would've given us an even better shot at a goal. And the puck didn't get anywhere near the net until he scored.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #196
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Landed in NYC today, getting psyched about the game on Wednesday. We packed our Jets jerseys so look for us on TV

Oh, and I sat beside MikeVic's boss on the plane from Winnipeg to Minneapolis. Nice lady.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 04-13-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #197
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cujo wins!

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #198
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not surprised that the Sharks blew a 3 goal lead when they couldn't even protect their captain. If I was a Sharks fan I would be very worried about the lack of emotion - after the Sarich hit they were very subdued and pretty much laid down and died. You could tell that Calgary was going to get back into it.

Oh, and is there a bigger no effort pussy than Joe Thornton in the whole NHL? You are 6'4 230+, wouldn't hurt you to take some shots in front of the net or go mucking about in the corner for once would it... Pretty plays and big numbers in the regular season are great, nice to see he still has his playoff game going
Old 04-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #199
Pyser
Pro Rookie

im glad i kept watching that calgary game

that was awesome. highly entertaining all game
Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #200
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that Sarich hit was the fucking bomb. I kind of had a feeling Calgary would come back in that game.

Interesting that last year's Cup finalists are two of the three teams down 2-0 right now.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 04-14-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote