Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #201
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Interesting that last year's Cup finalists are two of the three teams down 2-0 right now.

At least per the Pittsburgh papers, Alfredsson wants to come back either tonight for game 3, or for game 4. My guess is more of a spark for his team than anything else. He hasn't practiced yet, i don't even know if he's been riding the bike etc. He hasn't played in 2 weeks now.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #202
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The current San Jose collapse shouldn't surprise anyone. It's been the M.O. over the last few years. If they can rally from last night, I think that would be huge for them. It may finally give them the confidence to get over that mental hurdle.

That was a sweet hit.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #203
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Landed in NYC today, getting psyched about the game on Wednesday. We packed our Jets jerseys so look for us on TV

Oh, and I sat beside MikeVic's boss on the plane from Winnipeg to Minneapolis. Nice lady.

Whoa what?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #204
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The current San Jose collapse shouldn't surprise anyone. It's been the M.O. over the last few years. If they can rally from last night, I think that would be huge for them. It may finally give them the confidence to get over that mental hurdle.

That was a sweet hit.

I hope Wilson's comments after the game about 'drawing blood should mean some kind of penalty' were merely about defending Marleau because that hit was clean. I can't see how he could ever have a problem with it if one of his players executed a check that solid and caused an opponent to get a nosebleed.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #205
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I hope Wilson's comments after the game about 'drawing blood should mean some kind of penalty' were merely about defending Marleau because that hit was clean. I can't see how he could ever have a problem with it if one of his players executed a check that solid and caused an opponent to get a nosebleed.

He made that comment? Wow. That was as clean a hit as there was. Marleau had the puck, his head was done, and Sarich just came in and leveled him. He didn't raise his shoulders, lift an elbow, leave his feet or anything. That's hockey, Mr. Wilson.

Did anyone catch the clip on CBC they showed of Sarich making a similar hit in juniors. That was even better. An open ice hit, very similar, but the other guy was moving forward and did a complete flip, head over heels, in the air before landing on the ice.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #206
MikeVic
Head Coach

I was watching TSN or something this morning, and Bettman said that Avery's tactic there would either be called for Unsportsmanlike Conduct, or Interference.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #207
Logan
Head Coach

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Did Lord Bettman enlighten anyone on what Brodeur's punch to Avery's face or stick to his balls should have been called?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #208
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I was watching TSN or something this morning, and Bettman said that Avery's tactic there would either be called for Unsportsmanlike Conduct, or Interference.

Both Ron McLean and Kelly Hrudey said that the ref should have called an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty. The ref warned Avery, Avery kept it up, and that moment Avery should have been given a 10 minute misconduct. No powerplay, just sit down for 10 minutes. Like they said, what Avery was doing was "dishonorable" and there is no place for it.

That said, I found it very funny. Avery amuses me.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-14-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #209
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Did Lord Bettman enlighten anyone on what Brodeur's punch to Avery's face or stick to his balls should have been called?

He had it comin'.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #210
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

shut up

Last edited by Pyser : 04-14-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #211
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It must suck to be a Ranger fan and have to twist yourself into a logical pretzel to have to defend this.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #212
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
It must suck to be a Ranger fan and have to twist yourself into a logical pretzel to have to defend this.

You of all people should know about this...you've been defending JFJ for years.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #213
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Sorry, but not at all. I don't see a difference between what Avery did facing the goalie and what every other guy does with his back to the goalie. So he used his hands to distract Brodeur in addition to his head or body -- big fuckin deal.

Last edited by Logan : 04-14-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #214
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

So if Avery stood on the side of the crease...got down on all fours...and barked like a dog to distract the goalie you'd be fine with that? It is well within the rules.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #215
MikeVic
Head Coach

It's not very classy. Didn't we have some kind of discussion like this when Sean Taylor spit on a player?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #216
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
It's not very classy. Didn't we have some kind of discussion like this when Sean Taylor spit on a player?

and look what happened to him...
Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #217
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
So if Avery stood on the side of the crease...got down on all fours...and barked like a dog to distract the goalie you'd be fine with that? It is well within the rules.

If Avery lifted his leg and started peeing on Brodeur. I'll be fine with that.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #218
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
OH REAL NICE DICKSTAND JR
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #219
samifan24
Pro Starter

Does anyone have a video of what Avery did to Brodeur? I'm reading the story on TSN and reading what you guys are saying but I'd like to see it myself.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #220
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I wouldn't call a penalty on it, which is what we're discussing.

Is it "classy?" No. Do I give a shit as long as it helps my team win? No. What's funny is when I read other posts (not here) that say (direct quote), "I wish someone would crack him in the skull from behind. He is a coward, and needs to be taken out like one." Yes, that should be the punishment for someone who isn't classy. Todd Bertuzzi agrees.

And for the record, I don't think Brodeur retaliating by forcefully shoving a stick into the genitals of another man is very classy either, and that's not within the rules.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #221
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Does anyone have a video of what Avery did to Brodeur? I'm reading the story on TSN and reading what you guys are saying but I'd like to see it myself.

Note that Brodeur didn't give him an ounce of attention when he camped out in front of the net on the second rush down the ice, maybe because he was expecting him to be an unclassy prick and start screening him again. So he put the puck in the net.

Last edited by Logan : 04-14-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #222
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Ouch!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #223
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Are you trying to equate this to the reprehensible nature of spitting on another human being?

If Avery spat on Brodeur, he deserves the shot to the balls.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #224
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't call a penalty on it, which is what we're discussing.

Is it "classy?" No. Do I give a shit as long as it helps my team win? No. What's funny is when I read other posts (not here) that say (direct quote), "I wish someone would crack him in the skull from behind. He is a coward, and needs to be taken out like one." Yes, that should be the punishment for someone who isn't classy. Todd Bertuzzi agrees.

And for the record, I don't think Brodeur retaliating by forcefully shoving a stick into the genitals of another man is very classy either, and that's not within the rules.

What Avery did was well within the rights of the rules. There is nothing black and white that says what he did was wrong and I understand Logan, why you are defending him. But as a hockey fan, I don't want to see this happening in every game. That's just what it comes down to.

BTW i am surprised Marty didnt get a penalty for his glove to Avery's face.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #225
Logan
Head Coach

What you're saying is perfectly fine. My defense is only out there because of the posts above that said Bettman and others claim it is some kind of bullshit "unsportsmanlike" penalty.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #226
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

NHL Rules.

Rule 41(g) "A misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusive language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty."

I think that rule could cover what Avery was up to with the whole stick and glove to the face. Then again, that rule is very broadly worded. There's probably a dozen things a shift Avery (and others) "persists" on doing "to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty".
Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #227
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
What Avery did was well within the rights of the rules. There is nothing black and white that says what he did was wrong and I understand Logan, why you are defending him. But as a hockey fan, I don't want to see this happening in every game. That's just what it comes down to.

BTW i am surprised Marty didnt get a penalty for his glove to Avery's face.

Well, it's against the rules now, so you won't see it. Or if you do, it won't last long.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #228
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
NHL Rules.

Rule 41(g) "A misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusive language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty."

I think that rule could cover what Avery was up to with the whole stick and glove to the face. Then again, that rule is very broadly worded. There's probably a dozen things a shift Avery (and others) "persists" on doing "to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty".

So Avery's intention wasn't to screen Brodeur, but to incite him into taking a penalty? Sorry but no.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #229
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

In my opinion, Avery doing that stuff one time was funny. It was effective, too. My concern would be if the league shrugged and said "Well, it's not against the rules, so we won't take steps to stop it." What that does is open the door for players all over to stand in front of a goalie and wave their sticks around, which would probably lead to people accidentally taking sticks to the face. I consider Avery lucky that he didn't accidentally hit somebody. It was a smart play at the time, but if you allow him to do it, then you allow everyone to do it, and I think it's a good idea for them to get players to keep their sticks down.

While I can see that you don't want to outlaw a whole bunch of things because someone might get hurt, this is a stick that's up at face level. It's unnecessarily dangerous. With regards to the object of the game (put the puck in the net), there's no reason for it. It's not like you can play the puck with your stick at that level anyway, so the stick shouldn't be there. I like that Avery was not penalized for it at the time, but I can agree that it shouldn't be allowed again.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 04-14-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #230
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

New Rule to take effect...

Quote:
INTERPRETATION OF RULE 75 – UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT

NEW YORK/TORONTO (April 14, 2008) -- National Hockey League Senior
Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell
today issued the following advisory on the interpretation of Rule 75 -
Unsportsmanlike Conduct: "An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule
75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation
when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender
and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the
goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or
distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make
a play."
Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #231
Logan
Head Coach

Ok, if he does this Wednesday night I will now agree that it is not within the rules .

P.S. I'm shotgunning the use of "Sean Avery" under the "innovator" category of the next FOFC Hockey Draft.

Last edited by Logan : 04-14-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #232
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Are you trying to equate this to the reprehensible nature of spitting on another human being?

If Avery spat on Brodeur, he deserves the shot to the balls.

They should've given that fag a misconduct penalty for his gay celebration. I don't wish injury upon him, but if Brodeur should happen to think there's a shot, go for a glove or blocker save, and accidentally level Avery, that should be fine. In addition, Avery had his stick up high, his hands in the face of the goaltender.

What a faggoty move.

Last edited by miked : 04-14-2008 at 02:49 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #233
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
They should've given that fag a misconduct penalty for his gay celebration. I don't wish injury upon him, but if Brodeur should happen to think there's a shot, go for a glove or blocker save, and accidentally level Avery, that should be fine. In addition, Avery had his stick up high, his hands in the face of the goaltender.

What a faggoty move.
The fuck?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #234
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hours after Thoresen was told he might require surgery to remove a ruptured testicle, after blocking a slap shot by Capitals defenseman Mike Green, an MRI taken at Washington Hospital Center revealed no rupture. Thoresen was discharged Saturday morning.

When Holmgren told reporters Friday night that Thoresen might face surgery, few expected the 20-year-old winger and father of two to play in the remainder of the playoffs. In fact, many wondered if he would be able to have children again.

Perhaps that's why his teammates were stunned when told there was a possibility of him suiting up again in this series.

"Wow!" Timonen said. "I didn't know that. I'm surprised if he can play. It's good to see he's going to be all right, and hopefully he can keep his testicle."
Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #235
samifan24
Pro Starter

Wow that bit with Avery in front of the net like that was ridiculous.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #236
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kudos to the LNH for issuing a swift interpretation. In other sports, we'd be stuck with the silliness until the following season.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #237
scooter
High School Varsity

I think it's important for the NHL to put an end to Avery's back-to-the-play antics. Had he taken a point shot to the exposed area of the spine and being paralyzed this wouldn't be very funny. What is really sad is all the young players out there that watch that and then go immitate it. Good job Colin Campbell.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #238
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
The fuck?

I always wanted to use the word faggoty, since I had seen it here so many times. If anything called for it, it was the play and the celebration. I just think it's really really really gay. And against the rules.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #239
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
"Wow!" Timonen said. "I didn't know that. I'm surprised if he can play. It's good to see he's going to be all right, and hopefully he can keep his testicle."

Oh, I am sure they will let him keep it in any case.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #240
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Is there a thread of things you never thought you'd say to a co-worker? Cause this belongs in there.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What I thought was even funnier than Avery's schtick was John Madden's comment about how they're trying to sell the game & Avery is out there doing stuff like that. Newflash for Mr. Madden, Avery was quite likely the most interesting & entertaining single thing that happened in the NHL all weekend. And, given the frequent complaints (although it's never bothered me personally) about the neutral zone trap & the Devils connection to it, I find Madden's concern pretty funny.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #242
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Watching it that way, it might just be one of the most amusing sequences I can recall ever seeing in sports.

AFAIC, Avery was smart enough to figure it out ahead of time & wait for the right time to use it. Brodeur meanwhile needs to have a loooong talk with the candyasses masquerading as a PK unit in front of him. Not one but two guys camped in front of the net long enough to build a campfire (on the first trip down), never mind the antics.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #243
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Kudos to the LNH for issuing a swift interpretation. In other sports, we'd be stuck with the silliness until the following season.

and here I think the NHL looks ridiculous for having to come up with an interpretation like this in the freaking playoffs.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #244
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I always wanted to use the word faggoty, since I had seen it here so many times. If anything called for it, it was the play and the celebration. I just think it's really really really gay. And against the rules.

Were you alive to see Theo Fleury celebrate?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #245
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What I thought was even funnier than Avery's schtick was John Madden's comment about how they're trying to sell the game & Avery is out there doing stuff like that. Newflash for Mr. Madden, Avery was quite likely the most interesting & entertaining single thing that happened in the NHL all weekend. And, given the frequent complaints (although it's never bothered me personally) about the neutral zone trap & the Devils connection to it, I find Madden's concern pretty funny.

um, the rangers play the trap too.

and JIMG, as for why the devils didnt knock avery out of the crease, they were killing a 5-3. not a 5 on 4. big, big difference.

Last edited by Pyser : 04-14-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #246
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Just to be clear, the NHL didn't change the rule or create a new one. They clarified the existing rule.

Basically they had to say "This was always a penalty, but since it never occured to us that anybody could be this much of a dink, the referee didn't know whether the rule actually applied. So we're making sure everyone knows that it does."
Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #247
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
um, the rangers play the trap too.

Even if every team in the league plays it, considering the knock it gets, for someone playing for the original/prime offender to say "Here we are trying to sell the game, and stuff like that is going on,, it's just laughable to me. Granted, I would find that to be pretty comical regardless of what team the speaker played for, it just added another level to the comedy.
(again, FTR, the trap never bothered me particularly but I sure seem to be the minority about that)

Quote:
and JIMG, as for why the devils didnt knock avery out of the crease, they were killing a 5-3. not a 5 on 4. big, big difference.

Watch the replay again. At about the :10 mark of the video, two guys are camped without so much as a glance in their direction. 5-3 or not, that sure seems problematic.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #248
MikeVic
Head Coach

Larry Murphy just laid out Bonk!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #249
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My favorite part of the clip is the color guy on the VS broadcast at about the 0:35 mark. He doesn't get all outraged. He actually sounds kind of depressed, like he's watching something that just makes him sad.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #250
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
AFAIC, Avery was smart enough to figure it out ahead of time & wait for the right time to use it.

Or, he acts like that normally, but it was caught on camera this time.