Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #301
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

That is awesome. I'm getting tempted to adopt the Rangers as my team...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #302
MikeVic
Head Coach

Glad to hear the Garden is great! What would you guys think if some book came out of all the little things like this from sports teams? Would you think the fans would change what they do, in spite of the media attention all of a sudden?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #303
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
That is awesome. I'm getting tempted to adopt the Rangers as my team...

I use to respect you...now...not so much
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #304
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Glad to hear the Garden is great! What would you guys think if some book came out of all the little things like this from sports teams? Would you think the fans would change what they do, in spite of the media attention all of a sudden?

You think Ranger fans chanting "Potvin Sucks!" would be a discovery in some tell-all book?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #305
MikeVic
Head Coach

No, I mean, talking about the things fans do in all sports for all teams. Making it very public knowledge. I would think some things would be better left to discover when you actually go to these games, you know?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #306
Logan
Head Coach

So don't write the book.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #307
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm not writing the book, I'm asking for people's opinions. I was wondering if such a book existed, and then thought I might not want to read it if it did.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #308
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the devils do the same chant, from the same whistle cadence, at every game. except its rangers suck

we arent very original, admittedly

also, im starting to hate jamie langenbrunner, which i was not expecting
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #309
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
also, im starting to hate jamie langenbrunner, which i was not expecting

I think this is the first time I heard his name mentioned since I brought him up in that thread where that jackass was making fun of my name.

Not a good sign 4 games in.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #310
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I agree that it would be more fun to discover it first hand. I'm glad I didn't look into the MSG traditions beforehand. Sure, I was kind of clueless at the game, but it just added to the experience and wonder of the place.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #311
Logan
Head Coach

You doing anything else while you're in the city?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #312
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm already home! We flew out on a 6:15 flight this morning. I wish I had more time, but it sounds like I might be back so that's cool. I wish the place I was working at was closer to Mahattan, but beggars can't be choosers
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #313
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
So he's the full-time starter (barring injury or prolonged slump)?

Or is it a Gerber/Emery scenario where one bad game could mean the other guy gets the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Probably won't. If Hasek struggles and we go down 2-0, then Osgood will come in, but that's the only scenario I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
More the former than the latter. Hasek would have to get injured or play very, very poorly and Osgood play very well in relief for Babcock to make a switch.

I think the intention all along has been to keep Hasek fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

Uh...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....in_game_5.html
Osgood will start in Game 5

by Ansar Khan Thursday April 17, 2008, 2:05 PM

It's official, Chris Osgood will start Friday in Game 2 vs. Nashville. Dominik Hasek just confirmed it in the dressing room after an optional practice.
"You got to give Dom credit, we're up 2-0 because he played great in Game 2,'' coach Mike Babcock said. "The puck didn't hit him in Nashville (Games 3 and 4). Ozzie has been very, very good for us. I just told Dom to get on the ice, get some work done, get your game back. We plan on having a long run.''
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #314
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, I mean, talking about the things fans do in all sports for all teams.

You mean like hockey games in Atlanta often having the word "Knights" loudly substituted (by at least some fans) for "night" in the Star Spangled Banner?

(something that started with the IHL franchise back in the 80's & has continued not only at Thrasher games but at the ECHL Gladiators games as well, although it has cooled off since a few people bitched about it a couple of seasons ago)
Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #315
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think this is the first time I heard his name mentioned since I brought him up in that thread where that jackass was making fun of my name.

Not a good sign 4 games in.

always a good sign for your teams captain...
Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #316
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You mean like hockey games in Atlanta often having the word "Knights" loudly substituted (by at least some fans) for "night" in the Star Spangled Banner?

(something that started with the IHL franchise back in the 80's & has continued not only at Thrasher games but at the ECHL Gladiators games as well, although it has cooled off since a few people bitched about it a couple of seasons ago)

Apparently, it's disrespectful to the king to replace words in the Star Spangled Banner.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #317
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ive been to a decent amount of kings games over the past few years, and i cant think of one damn thing they do in the arena that is cool or local

maybe the organ chant that for most teams ends in "go (team name) go" that la changes into "(opponents) suck"....but id guess thats in other arenas too
Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #318
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The Jets didn't have many that I can recall:

- Playoff White-outs (accompanied by 3 hours of continuous yelling regardless of what was taking place on the ice).

- Chant: "I'd rather be a Jet than a fucking Maple Leaf!". It's kind of done sing-songy. Not sure if that is unique to Winnipeg or not. The same thing happens at football games except it goes "I'd rather be a Bomber than a fucking Argonaut!". I don't really know how to describe the 'tune'.

- Dancing Gabe: A handicapped guy that basically lived for Jets games, and would dance just for the sheer joy of dancing whenever music was played over the loudspeakers. Near the end of the Jets run in Winnipeg he started getting sponsored by local companies, and now he is a fixture at Moose and Bomber games as well I think. He doesn't have the same enthusiasm anymore though, which sucks.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #319
MikeVic
Head Coach

I only went to a few Jets games, and was young when I went so I don't remember anything.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #320
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

This isn't about hockey, but I can add to MikeVic's book idea. At Tulane University games, at the end of the Star Spangled Banner, Tulane fans scream "wave" over "brave" at the end. So we'd be at the Superdome for a football game, and you'd have a few thousand people sing "home of the Wave."

I think somebody tried to start "home of the Grave" at New Orleans VooDoo AFL games (the nickname for the arena is "The Graveyard"), but it didn't catch on.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #321
miked
College Starter

Why do the Devils keep Colin White around?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #322
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

They do it for Pumpy, man... They do it for Pumpy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #323
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

As a constant reminder that anything that starts out promising could turn to shit within 2 years.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #324
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

THAT FUCKING BUNDLE-DICK COLIN WHITE DAMN
Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #325
MikeVic
Head Coach

What's the story with White?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #326
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
This isn't about hockey, but I can add to MikeVic's book idea. At Tulane University games, at the end of the Star Spangled Banner, Tulane fans scream "wave" over "brave" at the end. So we'd be at the Superdome for a football game, and you'd have a few thousand people sing "home of the Wave."

In KC, they always do "home of the Chiefs". Annoys me to no end, to be honest. Especially at Royals games *sigh*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #327
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
What's the story with White?
HE SUCKS BLEEDING DONKEY DICK
Old 04-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #328
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I thought he was, and I quote: "FUCKING BUNDLE-DICK". Get your story straight!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #329
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I thought he was, and I quote: "FUCKING BUNDLE-DICK". Get your story straight!
HE IS A NASTY FUCK
Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #330
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Quote:
HE IS A NASTY FUCK

See you in 12, Pumpy.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #331
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i have long defended white on this board, much to pumpys dismay

when he was a young'un back in our 2nd cup days, he was a promising big stay at home d-man on our 3rd pairing, learning from daneyko and stevens.

as our star D-men left, he rose up, and is now our top "stay at home" defensemen. he has zero mobility, is prone to taking very bad penalties (he still has not learned to stop retaliating - its been about 8 years). however, he draws the toughest assignments every night - this series, for instance, he is on the ice against jagr as much as possible

this past off-season he took a puck to the eye and lost vision in it. as far as i know he is legally blind in the one eye. he came back in november though, which is fairly impressive for an august eye injury. his return (and langenbrunners from hernia surgery) coincided with the devils march towards the top of the standings in the east, for what its worth

this has been a rough season for him. hes been prone to icing the puck a lot more, and i think the eye is definietly hampering his play

im as down on him now as ive ever been (and most players on the team, actually)...but i dont expect him to go anywhere. he is about to enter the 3rd year of a 5 year, $15m deal
Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #332
MikeVic
Head Coach

Was that Guy LaFleur who scored the Canadiens' goal? And what a save by Price!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #333
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh no!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #334
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Go B's!!

Showing some fire up 3-1.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #335
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Short hander to hopefully put this game out of reach.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #336
miked
College Starter

Quote:
i have long defended white on this board, much to pumpys dismay

when he was a young'un back in our 2nd cup days, he was a promising big stay at home d-man on our 3rd pairing, learning from daneyko and stevens.

as our star D-men left, he rose up, and is now our top "stay at home" defensemen. he has zero mobility, is prone to taking very bad penalties (he still has not learned to stop retaliating - its been about 8 years). however, he draws the toughest assignments every night - this series, for instance, he is on the ice against jagr as much as possible

this past off-season he took a puck to the eye and lost vision in it. as far as i know he is legally blind in the one eye. he came back in november though, which is fairly impressive for an august eye injury. his return (and langenbrunners from hernia surgery) coincided with the devils march towards the top of the standings in the east, for what its worth

this has been a rough season for him. hes been prone to icing the puck a lot more, and i think the eye is definietly hampering his play

im as down on him now as ive ever been (and most players on the team, actually)...but i dont expect him to go anywhere. he is about to enter the 3rd year of a 5 year, $15m deal

His last 3 seasons he's been -2, -8, and -5. Hardly worth the money they are paying him. He's immobile, always out of position, takes stupid penalties, and seems to lower his level of play each season in the playoffs, which is quite a feat.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #337
Pyser
Pro Rookie

those plus minus numbers actually make me think he is more valuable that i thought. call me crazy, but for working with our checking line against other teams top forwards, i think those are good numbers.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #338
miked
College Starter

Quote:
those plus minus numbers actually make me think he is more valuable that i thought. call me crazy, but for working with our checking line against other teams top forwards, i think those are good numbers.

Not when he was +10, +19, +6, +32 the 4 prior seasons.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #339
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to the SUC.

Population: the Ducks

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #340
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

WOOOO MIKE KNUBLE 2OT GOAL! Flyers up 3-1!!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #341
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post

And even better, Versus will finally switch to the Sharks game.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #342
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post

Great finish!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #343
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Welcome to the SUC.

Population: the Ducks

Marty Turco look good in the postseason.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #344
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

More thoughts from last night's Flyers/Caps game...

-The Caps deserved to win that game, they outplayed the Flyers for most of the game. I guess in a way it makes up for Game 1 where the Flyers outplayed the Caps.

-I'm glad the Flyers didn't score on that goalie interference call at the end of the 3rd. It would've been a cheap way to win. But I don't feel sorry for the Caps, Huet has drew a number of Goalie Interference penalties.

-The Caps threw everything they had at Philly last night, and I am wondering if they will have anything left for Game 5.

-In almost 4 and a half periods, Alexander Ovechkin had 1 shot on goal.

-Huet and Biron played outstanding last night. If you haven't seen it yet, check out Huet's save on Scottie Upshall in the 3rd.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #345
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Heh, Jersey scores first and then the Rangers score 18 seconds later.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #346
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

And the Rangers score again.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #347
Logan
Head Coach

And again.

The Devils are way too concerned about Avery. Keep the focus on boys, double-teaming him and holding him in the crease so Gomez can just knock that puck right in. Morons.

Last edited by Logan : 04-18-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #348
Logan
Head Coach

And again.

This is fun.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #349
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Devils creeping back.

Is it wrong that I'm cheering for the Devils only because I want to see the media try to spin the Avery incident as the turning point?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #350
Logan
Head Coach

Rangers win 5-3. Got a little dicey there.

Brodeur showed no interest at all in shaking Avery's hand. Stay classy Marty.