Pro Starter

You got to be fracking kidding me
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #352
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rangers win 5-3. Got a little dicey there.

Brodeur showed no interest at all in shaking Avery's hand. Stay classy Marty.

Maybe he didn't want to catch the gays. Man, I hate the Rangers. It was a miserable series, I wish the Devils would actually invest to keep some of their players that brought them success (Gomez, Rafalski, etc). Instead, I have to watch While and Langenbruner.

Actually, since I'm in the A, I don't really have to watch them, but it beats the Thrashers.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #353
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Rangers win 5-3. Got a little dicey there.

Brodeur showed no interest at all in shaking Avery's hand. Stay classy Marty.
I missed Brodeur and Avery in the handshake. Brodeur really didn't seem like shaking anybody's hand. Honestly, Marty looked like a bit of a sore loser there. I know he's disappointed and all, but he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but in that handshake line. Not very cool on his part.

The Rangers were the better team in the series. The Devils fought, but they just weren't good enough. The Rangers deserved to advance, and the Devils didn't.

Now I'm going to follow my wife's lead and cheer for the Penguins the rest of the way.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #354
Logan
Head Coach

I didn't catch it, but apparently he kinda stiffed Gomez too.

Always a pleasure Pumpy...it was a fun series.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #355
st.cronin
General Manager

Dramatic.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #356
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Probably one of the few times a team will shoot 50+ times in a game and yet feel fortunate that they won. Be interesting to see if this loss totally deflates the Preds or whether they can make one more stand in Nashville to force a game seven.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #357
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I didn't catch it, but apparently he kinda stiffed Gomez too.
I did notice that. He tapped Gomez on the helmet, but it looked like he didn't say a word to Gomez. Nope, not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Always a pleasure Pumpy...it was a fun series.
Likewise.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #358
Logan
Head Coach

Pump, if you're back in Jersey at any point next season, let me know. Devils game on me (well, not really on me...I have a buddy who works for the Devils and can hook me up with seats...but they'll be free!).
Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #359
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Go Rangers! Wooo!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #360
Pyser
Pro Rookie

total role reversal there. the devils gave all they had towards the end of the first, and the rangers withstood it and added a few goals on the counter attack. then they were content in the 3rd to dump it in and hang back on D and just survive.

where have we seen an eastern conference team do that before?

the rangers were a clearly superior team this season. every single goal the devils scored, as ive said before, felt miraculous. lots of luck.

pens-rangers should be very fun to watch.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #361
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wait? When did ESPN buy out tsn.ca?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #362
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wait? When did ESPN buy out tsn.ca?

They've owned a minority stake in it for quite a while, ever since Labatt had to sell it off.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quack.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #364
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I never noticed it until they did this redesign that, for all I know, is half a year old but has TSN in the obvious ESPN lettering and top bar along with a lot more flash and hopefully not less substance.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #365
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Turco bodychecking Selanne was cool.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #366
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

TSN has had an ESPN-ish feel for some time now on TV, even going so far as to call their sports news program, "SportsCentre" (with the Canadian spelling). When I was in Ottawa for a conference a few years ago, I got to see the Quebec version of it, as well. Same arrangements, just all in French.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:42 AM   #367
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Now I'm going to follow my wife's lead and cheer for the Penguins the rest of the way.

Well that doesn't make you any different that most of the other Penguin bandwagon fans around here. Half of them dont know the difference between the blue line and the red line, but that doesn't stop them from talking shit.

Hopefully the Rangers (given the Flyers win against Washington) break your heart twice.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-19-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #368
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
total role reversal there. the devils gave all they had towards the end of the first, and the rangers withstood it and added a few goals on the counter attack. then they were content in the 3rd to dump it in and hang back on D and just survive.

I don't think that was by design. We just couldn't get the puck out of our damn zone all night. By the 5th or 6th effort to get the puck cleared (no exaggeration) no one had any energy to move the puck through the Devils' zone so they got off the ice. Our guys did a great job of clamping down and not letting your boys get many good opportunities in the 3rd.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #369
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I did notice that. He tapped Gomez on the helmet, but it looked like he didn't say a word to Gomez. Nope, not cool.

Likewise.

What's he supposed to do? Hug the guy who helped carry the team for years, only to bolt to the rivals for more money?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #370
Vince
Pro Starter

Not terribly excited that the Sharks let Calgary back into game 5 after putting up a 4-1 lead. I was very happy with their effort right up until that 4th goal though. Hopefully we can end this thing up in Calgary, because even though it's in San Jose, a game 7 would be freaking stressful.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #371
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Logan, thanks for the invitation. I'd love to see a Devils game in New Jersey sometime, so we'll see if I can get this to happen next season.

Besides that, I think I'm done here. See y'all in the offseason when the free agent signings begin.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #372
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Well that doesn't make you any different that most of the other Penguin bandwagon fans around here. Half of them dont know the difference between the blue line and the red line, but that doesn't stop them from talking shit.

Yeah, things were probably much better when they were drawing less than 12,000 at home & were on the verge of being moved
Old 04-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #373
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
What's he supposed to do? Hug the guy who helped carry the team for years, only to bolt to the rivals for more money?

He could say "good luck" or "good series" like every other Devil managed. Maybe if Lou wasn't the nickel and dimer that he is, and if he wasn't the most ruthless negotiator when it comes to arbitration, to the point where players can't even look at him with all the negative shit he spews, the Devils would actually be able to keep some of their boys.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #374
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, things were probably much better when they were drawing less than 12,000 at home & were on the verge of being moved

For me yes...because they sucked!

I can deal with hockey fans who root for their team and you can have intelligent banter with, but not ones where they just come back with "well your team sucks because they didn't make the playoffs" Meanwhile they forget the missed the playoffs for the better part of this decade.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #375
Simms
FOBL Commish

Took my son to game five today for his birthday. He's been to a couple of other games, and while I've been to plenty, this was my first experience with an actual playoff game.

It was very loud, and very red (we did our part, too ). Great game, and we both had a fantastic time.

A few pics here, for those who might be interested (I took something like 150 shots altogether).
Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #376
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Geez...

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #377
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Go game 7!

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #378
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

go spoked-B's!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #379
miked
College Starter

Quote:
He could say "good luck" or "good series" like every other Devil managed. Maybe if Lou wasn't the nickel and dimer that he is, and if he wasn't the most ruthless negotiator when it comes to arbitration, to the point where players can't even look at him with all the negative shit he spews, the Devils would actually be able to keep some of their boys.

This.

Is true.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #380
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avs win!

It was a tight series, but in the end the Wild led for just 4:31 and didn't have a single lead after game 3. In a series that featured 2 of the 3 best teams when scoring first, the Avalanche got the first goal in every single game.

Jose Theodore was the MVP of the series, but kudos also has to go to Adam Foote who completely shut down Marion Gaborik.

It's been an up and down year for the Avs, but they are looking very dangerous right now.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #381
samifan24
Pro Starter

Last night's Bruins win was one of the most exciting hockey games I've ever watched. I can't wait for game seven in Montreal on Monday.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #382
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Last night's Bruins win was one of the most exciting hockey games I've ever watched. I can't wait for game seven in Montreal on Monday.

Absolutely!

I told my girlfriend before the game that watching playoff hockey will convert her. I couldn't have asked for a better, more exciting game to do the job. She's a fan now, and loves Phil the Thrill Kessel.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #383
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Yay, another game seven as Calgary takes game 6.

I also heard that Patrice Bergeron could be back for Boston tomorrow.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #384
Bad-example
College Starter

The Flames really nutted up. I like the Sharks' chances but either way it goes it has been an entertaining series. Game Sevens rule. Can't wait.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #385
bhlloy
Coordinator

Congrats to the Stars. An unbelievable defensive effort throughout the series. They could go far in the West with the other teams not looking so great in their openers.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #386
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yes, big thumbs up to the Stars, and particularly Turco, who, honestly, gets ripped for his playoff performances way more than he deserves. He struggled as a younger netminder under high pressure, so no surprise there. Now he's a veteran with some spectacular performances on the biggest stage, and anyone who continues to say the guy doesn't show up for the playoffs needs to update his attention span.

Now, as to the Ducks, I said it before the series, during the series after the bad start, and I will say it again now: this was and always was a very flawed team. We had way too many things going against us: stupid and numerous penalties by too many stupid, and too aggressive players; an anemic power play; serious offensive issues; and a half-normal quality Niedermayer, who never really came off of retirement, IMO. This was entirely expected by anyone whom had actually watched the Ducks the past few months.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 AM   #387
Vince
Pro Starter

Sigh. I have all the respect for Calgary in the world...they have been going balls-out all series. For some reason, it seems as if the Sharks just aren't as mentally prepared, I guess. They have more talent but way less heart, it seems. Maybe we need Marleau to get lit up again for them to find some fire.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #388
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
We had way too many things going against us: stupid and numerous penalties by too many stupid, and too aggressive players...

It's sort of odd how last year this was considered the Ducks' strength. They were lauded about having so many big, tough and physical Canadian boys upfront and how that would be the new trend. CBC looooooved that angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Sigh. I have all the respect for Calgary in the world...they have been going balls-out all series. For some reason, it seems as if the Sharks just aren't as mentally prepared, I guess. They have more talent but way less heart, it seems. Maybe we need Marleau to get lit up again for them to find some fire.

When have the Sharks ever appeared mentally perpared for the playoffs? That's been the knock against them for years now. They just seem to lack mental toughness to by a series. I thought that after Thornton's last second game winning goal in Game 4 would be the defining moment as to when the Sharks finally got over that hump, but maybe not. We'll definitely see in Game 7.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #389
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Depending on the SJ-Cal game 7, the Avs will face either Dallas or Detroit in round two. It'll be the 10th time the Avs have faced one or the other out of 27 series. Honestly, I'm a little tired of seeing both...

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 04-21-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #390
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Depending on the SJ-Cal game 7, the Avs will face either Dallas or Detroit in round two. It'll be the 9th time the Avs have faced one or the other out of 27 series. Honestly, I'm a little tired of seeing both...

I would not be thrilled with facing Colorado either. Colorado scares me for a couple of reasons. They are finally healthy up front, something they haven't been all season. Among Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, Smyth, Statsny, Woloski, and others, I would say that Colorado has as good and balanced a set of forwards as anyone in the league. They really shored up their defense with the additions of Sulei and Foote. Foote completely dominated Gaborik. Theodore has looked very solid.

Another cause for concern is Osgood. He's never played particularly well agaisnt Colorado and has been all out awful when in Denver. If the Wings play Colorado, I would not be surprised to see Hasek in net at some point. Not at the start of the series at all, but possibly later on.

As for the end of the Nashville/Wings series...

Game 5 on Friday night was almost too much for me. I could just sense how it was going to go. Mickey Redmond, the Wings' color guy, kept talking about it and Kelly Hrudey said it felt like it would be a long, multiple OT type game. I wasn't surprised at all when Nashville scored with the goalie pulled. Thankfully, the OT was very short and ended well. I thought the Wings played Game 6 perfectly. They weathered the early storm and then totally took control of the game. I didn't think the Wings were the better team throughout the first four games of the series, but they completely dictated the play in Games 5 & 6. The only reasons those games were close were because of Dan Ellis and some bad breaks.

Osgood was solid, but not called on to be spectacular. That's just how you want it. Since coming on for Hasek in Game 4, he's faced 54 shots and let in one goal. That's not bad, but Nashville is not stocked with a lot of natural goal scorers, especially with Legwand hurt and out for some games and Arnott having been knocked out of the series by Radulov.

I was really impressed with Darren Helm. He's Kris Draper 2.0. Speedy, quick, great hustle. Also, for the first time all season, I noticed Dallas Drake. He was everywhere yesterday and made a real pest out of himself. Not in the Sean Avery spectacle type way, but just laying the body, playing hard, always involved in the play. Good stuff out of the role players. The only guy who bugged me yesterday was Mikael Samuelsson. He made a number of horrible plays just inside Nashville's blueline. With Lilja out of the line-up, it appears as if my ire has been re-directed to Samuelsson.

The Wings need to improve on their power-play and start capitalizing more on their chances.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #391
sabotai
General Manager

I can't believe the Flyers are blowing this series....

Well, I can actually, but still.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #392
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I can't believe the Flyers are blowing this series....

Well, I can actually, but still.

It's been the M.O all season. Washington has controlled the play since about Game 4 and deserve these wins. I really think they will win tomorrow. The Flyers looked gassed.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #393
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go Habs!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #394
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

So the NHL has a chance at Ovechkin vs Crosby? Flyers are screwed.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #395
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's sort of odd how last year this was considered the Ducks' strength. They were lauded about having so many big, tough and physical Canadian boys upfront and how that would be the new trend. CBC looooooved that angle.

Heh...being in SoCal, of course, I never saw a CBC feed, so never knew that.

No, the issue wasn't the physical aggressiveness--it was the stupidity of its application. Last year, the Ducks played smart (outside of Pronger's stupid suspensions). They forechecked tough and put out a ton of effort. Guys who specialize in that sorta play--Moen, Pahlsson, Rob Niedermayer, Penner, Kunitz--were fantastic last year, and that's on top of the heady play of Scott Niedermayer, and the scrappiness of AndyMac and Perry.

Well, fast forward to this year. Pahlsson missed much of the year to injury and never really got going. Moen and Rob Niedermayer (not surprisingly) came back to Earth a bit. Penner left and AndyMac was dealt away. Perry never got fully healthy for the series, coming back in Game 4. And Kunitz has a tougher go of it when he plays with slower players than he is. Schneider and Bertuzzi, not on last year's team, seemed to specialize in making stupid penalties, our youth showed, Niedermayer wasn't making as much of a difference and the refs were a little less friendly with us (probably tired of the aggressiveness).

Add it all up and what was last year tight and ferocious and fear-inducing physical play became stupid penalties 200 feet from the defensive goal, flooding a beleaguered penalty kill unit and goalkeeper.

The Ducks need to continue to be aggressive--but they need tot ake some IQ pills or something in the offseason.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #396
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
When have the Sharks ever appeared mentally perpared for the playoffs? That's been the knock against them for years now. They just seem to lack mental toughness to by a series. I thought that after Thornton's last second game winning goal in Game 4 would be the defining moment as to when the Sharks finally got over that hump, but maybe not. We'll definitely see in Game 7.

It's true -- sad, but true. And how do you go about fixing that? I mean, I'm just a fan...but playing text sims has made me really start thinking about what I would do if I were in the GM's situation. I guess that Ron Wilson has to be the ultimate culprit? I love the guy as a coach...but what else can you do other than fire him?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #397
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
It's true -- sad, but true. And how do you go about fixing that? I mean, I'm just a fan...but playing text sims has made me really start thinking about what I would do if I were in the GM's situation. I guess that Ron Wilson has to be the ultimate culprit? I love the guy as a coach...but what else can you do other than fire him?

Well, as a general rule your captain bleeding is a bad thing. Your captain bleeding from two different places due to two different incidents in a single period is a really bad thing. And dressing Jody Shelley and then having him sit meekly on the bench while your captain gets ass raped is completely mind bogglingly stupid.

I still think the Sharks have enough quality to see off the Flames in game 7, but if not, that was clearly the play/period that changed the series. And in true Sharks fashion they did absolutely nothing at all about it, setting the tone for the rest of the way. I mean what the hell is Shelley dressed for if not for making it clear you don't take runs at Marleau and Thornton? Clowe is like 230 pounds and wandered over to Sarich like he was saying hi to a neighbor and then slapped at him a few times like my cat playing with his toy. Hell even Mike Grier could beat on of 95% of the Flames roster if he played like he gave a crap. Kyle McLaren. Doug Murray. These are all big guys that play like they either have a leash on them or just don't want to mix it up with anyone.

So, I guess a long winded way of saying yes, if the Sharks get knocked out by the Flames, Wilson should be the guy that gets the can. Lombardi has done a great job of putting the talent in place, but the lack of passion and team play is down to the coach.

Oh, and how the Ducks screwed the pooch by signing Bertuzzi (and to a lesser extent Schneider) is a whole nother rant. I'll take it easy on my blood pressure and save that for a different night...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #398
Vince
Pro Starter

Yeah, that's something I meant to ask some real hockey fans (ie, people who most likely don't live in the Bay Area) about. After Marleau got freaking crushed, and the Sharks meekly let it happen and blew a 3-0 lead, the media around here was going nuts about how terrible it was. Then all of a sudden, game 4 happened, and everyone was going off about how classy the Sharks were about the whole thing.

What. The. Fuck.

We won game 4...nothing else really happened. No one from Calgary got beat down, it wasn't even that dramatic a victory. How in the world does that erase Game 3? Then in Game 5, they go up 4-1 only to nearly blow it again...gah.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #399
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that's something I meant to ask some real hockey fans (ie, people who most likely don't live in the Bay Area) about. After Marleau got freaking crushed, and the Sharks meekly let it happen and blew a 3-0 lead, the media around here was going nuts about how terrible it was. Then all of a sudden, game 4 happened, and everyone was going off about how classy the Sharks were about the whole thing.

What. The. Fuck.

We won game 4...nothing else really happened. No one from Calgary got beat down, it wasn't even that dramatic a victory. How in the world does that erase Game 3? Then in Game 5, they go up 4-1 only to nearly blow it again...gah.

Pretty good example of why the Sharks are considered soft.

And I actually hate the idea that a team needs to respond to a clean hit, but I understand it. Kyle McLaren (I guess he'd be the big hitter in SJ-- that's sad) should have been lining up someone his next shift. But he should be doing that every time the opportunity is there, not just because someone just crunched his captain.

As far as the media changing their tune, isn't that their job? Had the Sharks lost game 4, the story would have been they played scared and "it's the same old Sharks" blah blah blah...but they won, and it's how classy they were, and they didn't stoop to the level of Calgary. Or had someone gone after a Calgary player and drawn a penalty that lead to a PP goal, they'd have been all over the player and Wilson for losing control of his team, giving the Flames a power play, etc etc.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #400
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh...being in SoCal, of course, I never saw a CBC feed, so never knew that.

Schneider and Bertuzzi, not on last year's team, seemed to specialize in making stupid penalties, our youth showed, Niedermayer wasn't making as much of a difference and the refs were a little less friendly with us (probably tired of the aggressiveness).

Add it all up and what was last year tight and ferocious and fear-inducing physical play became stupid penalties 200 feet from the defensive goal, flooding a beleaguered penalty kill unit and goalkeeper.

The Ducks need to continue to be aggressive--but they need tot ake some IQ pills or something in the offseason.

If it makes you feel any better Don Cherry thinks that the reason the Ducks lost was because the NHL did not want to promote rough and physical play. His conspiracy theory is that the NHL instructed the refs to call everything on Anaheim and give Dallas a bunch of power plays to make sure Anaheim was out early.

It didn't make any more sense when he said it.