Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #401
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
So the NHL has a chance at Ovechkin vs Crosby? Flyers are screwed.

Totally. It was sweet when Bettman scored on that breakaway to make 3-2 Caps and when Colin Campbel smoked that one timer on the power play to put them up by 2? Oh my...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #402
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
As far as the media changing their tune, isn't that their job? Had the Sharks lost game 4, the story would have been they played scared and "it's the same old Sharks" blah blah blah...but they won, and it's how classy they were, and they didn't stoop to the level of Calgary. Or had someone gone after a Calgary player and drawn a penalty that lead to a PP goal, they'd have been all over the player and Wilson for losing control of his team, giving the Flames a power play, etc etc.

Yeah, but the complete 180 they did after the Sharks didn't really "solve" the problem seemed...I don't know. Shortsighted? Yeah, the Sharks won. But it wasn't much of a statement game, if you ask me. And the media (at least here) was trying very hard to make it into a statement game.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #403
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

And I actually hate the idea that a team needs to respond to a clean hit, but I understand it. Kyle McLaren (I guess he'd be the big hitter in SJ-- that's sad) should have been lining up someone his next shift. But he should be doing that every time the opportunity is there, not just because someone just crunched his captain.

While I understand your point, you just can't send the message that it is ok to go looking for big hits on your best players (or at least it's not going to result in retaliation). Clean hit or not, I'm amazed Marleau didn't get seriously hurt on that Sarich play, and I can tell you where the Sharks would be right now if he hadn't played in the rest of the series.

The good news for the Sharks is that if they can just get through this game 7, there is nobody that will play them as physical as the Flames the rest of the way.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #404
Pyser
Pro Rookie

really? montreal set cop cars on fire after winning a round 1 series?

isnt that like yankee fans rioting after the orioles played a tougher than expected series?

act like youve been there before, habs fans.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #405
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

apparently, the good folks of Montreal feel that many of the cops there are, shall we say, a tad overexuberant. so, this may have been much more a civil matter than just a stupid celebration.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #406
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Great game....sorry Bettman...no Crosby-Ovechkin matchup!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 AM   #407
Vince
Pro Starter

Speaking of the great Caps-Flyers game...

On Sportscenter (eep, I know...) after the game, what's-his-name the Hockey Analyst (whom I typically enjoy, actually) was ALL OVER Ovechkin for passing the puck near the end -- even though he passed it to a guy who was COMPLETELY wide open and had a COMPLETELY open net to just tap the puck into. Yes, he's the best scorer in the NHL, and yes his job is to shoot...but isn't the point to score goals? And didn't he completely take the goalie out of the play by passing it off? That should have been a goal, if the other guy was paying attention. I find it incredibly hard to fault a player for providing a teammate with both the puck and an empty net to shoot at from a foot away.

Glad to see the Sharks move on, and be done with the intense physical play. Hopefully they can keep the intensity up against Dallas...but with the way their playing style has pendulumed back and forth from Defcon 1 to Defcon 5 from game to game leaves me worried.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 04-23-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #408
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Speaking of the great Caps-Flyers game...

On Sportscenter (eep, I know...) after the game, what's-his-name the Hockey Analyst (whom I typically enjoy, actually) was ALL OVER Ovechkin for passing the puck near the end -- even though he passed it to a guy who was COMPLETELY wide open and had a COMPLETELY open net to just tap the puck into. Yes, he's the best scorer in the NHL, and yes his job is to shoot...but isn't the point to score goals? And didn't he completely take the goalie out of the play by passing it off? That should have been a goal, if the other guy was paying attention. I find it incredibly hard to fault a player for providing a teammate with both the puck and an empty net to shoot at from a foot away.

Glad to see the Sharks move on, and be done with the intense physical play. Hopefully they can keep the intensity up against Dallas...but with the way their playing style has pendulumed back and forth from Defcon 1 to Defcon 5 from game to game leaves me worried.

That what's his name is the GREAT Barry Melrose, finest mullet in all the land, not to mention my choice as coach in the FOFC hockey draft.

Trying to lay the blame somewhere. If Ovechkin shoots, and it's easily stopped, we'd hear all about the guy wide open next to the cage.

Jeremy Freaking Roenick...is it 1991 again?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #409
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I too was surprised he passed, but Federov was WIDE open beside the net, but wasn't looking. Biron came way out of the net and cut down the angle, so I think it was a good move by AO. If they would've scored, we would hear all about what a great pass and unselfish play it was, but you win some and you lose some.

I gotta hand it to the Caps players and their coach. Total class acts after the game. I know usually you develop a disdain for the other team after going through a series like this, but I can honestly say that if the Caps won, I was pulling for them in the rest of the playoffs. AO is a fun player to watch.

IMO the two best teams in the conference are playing against each other, the Penguins and Rangers. That should be an exciting series. I can't wait to see Sean Avery and Gary Roberts square off. Like the Bruins, the Flyers lost every time they played the Habs during the regular season. Not sure they can pull it off, but should be a fun series anyway.

Hats off to Marty Biron last night, 0-5 in back to back games this year, and he single-handedly saved the Flyers season last night. Same to Derian Hatcher. Hatcher is basically skating on one leg, which makes him even slower (if that is possible), but he blocked two passes which would have led to sure goals. The guy is all heart.

I know Maple Leafs will loving hearing this but how about Jeremy Roenick coming up big last night? I heard this morning that he is second all time in game 7 goals behind Glenn Anderson. Great job JR!

I'm ecstatic the Flyers won! Bring on the second round!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #410
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
IMO the two best teams in the conference are playing against each other, the Penguins and Rangers. That should be an exciting series. I can't wait to see Sean Avery and Gary Roberts square off.

I'd love to see that too, but not happening. You really think Avery would drop them with Roberts? MAYBE Ruutu, or someone like Malone or Talbot. But I just don't see him going with Roberts.

Hollweg or Orr might.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #411
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think Avery will drop the gloves with Roberts but I am interested to see if Avery continues to do his antics and how much shit Roberts will take from him.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #412
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Same rules as last year...you will see your record as Wins-Losses-Correctly Picking Series Score. Double check me because I sometimes make mistakes.

After Round 1

1. Suburban Rhythm 7-1-3
2. Pumpy Tudors 7-1-0
3t. Draft Dodger 6-2-2
3t. Maple Leafs 6-2-2
3t. Travis 6-2-2
3t. Honolulu_Blue 6-2-2
7t. Bsak16 6-2-1
7t. JonMiddleGa 6-2-1
9. MikeVic 5-3-1
10t. yacovfb 5-3-1
10t. TazFTW 5-3-1
12. Fidatelo 4-4-2
13. DetoxRox 4-4-1
14. Pyser 3-5-1

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-24-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #413
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If Avery and Crosby lightly brush up against each other at center ice, will the force from their resulting dives be enough to cause a distortion in the space time continuim?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #414
MikeVic
Head Coach

At least I'm not last here.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #415
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
If Avery and Crosby lightly brush up against each other at center ice, will the force from their resulting dives be enough to cause a distortion in the space time continuim?

I would really like to see that.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #416
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

You would like to see a distortion in the space time continuim? What if it causes you to have never been born?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #417
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
You would like to see a distortion in the space time continuim? What if it causes you to have never been born?

No no, I would like to see them brush up against each other. They'd go flying to opposite ends of the ice for sure.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #418
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04232008...act_107662.htm

Quote:
The NHL was outraged by Sean Avery's antics versus Martin Brodeur — but not so outraged that it won't try to profit from them.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #419
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Same rules as last year...you will see your record as Wins-Losses-Correctly Picking Series Score. Double check me because I sometimes make mistakes.

After Round 1

1. Suburban Rhythm 7-1-3
2. Draft Dodger 7-1-2
3. Pumpy Tudors 7-1-0
4t. Maple Leafs 6-2-2
4t. Travis 6-2-2
4t. Honolulu_Blue 6-2-2
7t. Bsak16 6-2-1
7t. JonMiddleGa 6-2-1
9. MikeVic 5-3-1
10t. yacovfb 5-3-0
10t. TazFTW 5-3-0
12. Fidatelo 4-4-2
13. DetoxRox 4-4-1
14. Pyser 3-5-0

I should have 1 in the last column as I had the Wings over the Preds in 6.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #420
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post

me too. thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #421
Pyser
Pro Rookie

montreal in 5
pitt in 6
det in 6
sj in 7
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #422
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I assume I get to re-do my initial picks for round 2? I hope so, since my Cup winner is, uh, no longer.

If so...

My Round 2 Predictions are:

Montreal 5
New York 7
Colorado 6
San Jose 7
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #423
Travis
Pro Rookie

West
Dallas over San Jose in 5
Detroit over Colorado in 7

East
New York over Pittsburgh in 5
Montreal over Philadelphia in 6
Old 04-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #424
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dallas over San Jose in 6
Detroit over Colorado in 5
Pittsburgh over New York in 7
Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #425
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

I'll go with:
Sharks over Stars in 5
Detroit over Colorado in 6
Pittsburgh over NY in 7
Philly over Montreal in 6
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #426
MikeVic
Head Coach

West
San Jose over Dallas in 6
Detroit over Colorado in 5

East
Pittsburgh over New York in 7
Old 04-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #427
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post

Same.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #428
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Fixed
Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #429
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Rangers over Pens in 6
Habs over Flyers in 7
Wings over Avs in 6
Stars over Sharks in 7

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #430
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

New York over Pittsburgh in 7
Montreal over Philadelphia in 5
Colorado over Detroit in 7
San Jose over Dallas in 6
Old 04-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #431
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Rangers over Pens in 7 (Go Rangers!!)
Flyers over Habs in 6
Wings over Avs in 7
Stars over Sharks in 5
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #432
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

After Round 1

1. Suburban Rhythm 7-1-3
2. Draft Dodger 7-1-2
3. Pumpy Tudors 7-1-0
4t. Maple Leafs 6-2-2
4t. Travis 6-2-2
4t. Honolulu_Blue 6-2-2
7t. Bsak16 6-2-1
7t. JonMiddleGa 6-2-1
9. MikeVic 5-3-1
10t. yacovfb 5-3-1
10t. TazFTW 5-3-1
12. Fidatelo 4-4-2
13. DetoxRox 4-4-1
14. Pyser 3-5-1

Refresh my memory on the rules-- games guess does not impact?

Anyway-

Pens over Rangers in 7
Habs over Flyers in 6

Wings over Avs in 6
Sharks over Stars in 7

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 04-24-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #433
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pens over Rangers in 7
Habs over Flyers in 5

Wings over Avs in 5
Stars over Sharks in 7
Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #434
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Refresh my memory on the rules-- games guess does not impact?

They are just used as tiebreakers in case you are tied with someone with wins and losses.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #435
Logan
Head Coach

Is it cool if I actually attempt to talk about the upcoming series or is this only a prediction thread?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #436
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Eastern Conference

Montreal vs Philadelphia - Realistically I think Philly has a chance in this one. Not too many people gave them a chance against Washington and they pulled it off. But without Knuble and with their defense being old, beat up, and slow, I think they are in trouble. Montreal will end up being too much for them. Habs in 6

Pittsburgh vs New York - I think these are the two best teams in the eastern conference. Both teams had a long rest and I think in the end it comes down to goalies, and I give the edge to the Rangers here. The Pens have the two better players in Malkin and Crosby, but I believe the Rangers are a bit deeper. Rangers in 7.

Western Conference

I dont know enough about the west to talk about them so here are my picks.

Detroit vs Colorado - Avs in 7
San Jose vs Dallas - Stars in 6
Old 04-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #437
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Is it cool if I actually attempt to talk about the upcoming series or is this only a prediction thread?

Talk away man. The predictions are just filler till the games start
Old 04-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #438
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I'd love for SJ to make it to the finals.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #439
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

For the record, the referees assigned by the NHL to the four second-round series consist of the following pool:

Paul Devorski
Mike Hasenfratz
Marc Joannette
Don Koharski
Mike Leggo
Bill McCreary
Tim Peel
Kevin Pollock
Dan O'Halloran
Kelly Sutherland
Don Van Massenhoven
Brad Watson

The three most notable exclusions: Kerry Fraser, Dan Marouelli and Dave Jackson.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #440
MikeVic
Head Coach

Aww ML will be sad.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #441
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Pittsburgh vs New York - I think these are the two best teams in the eastern conference. Both teams had a long rest and I think in the end it comes down to goalies, and I give the edge to the Rangers here. The Pens have the two better players in Malkin and Crosby, but I believe the Rangers are a bit deeper. Rangers in 7.

I agree with your thoughts. There's going to be a lot of firepower in this series, and it should be interesting to see if the Rangers do anything to neutralize Crosby. We got completely dominated by NJ physically, and we'll need to play tougher in this series.

If Lundqvist is on his game, we should take this. He can't give up as many rebounds as he did against the Devils, and we can't take the amount of stupid penalties we did last series. Don't want to give those guys any extra opportunities.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #442
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

After Round 1

1. Suburban Rhythm 7-1-3
2. Draft Dodger 7-1-2
3. Pumpy Tudors 7-1-0
4t. Maple Leafs 6-2-2
4t. Travis 6-2-2
4t. Honolulu_Blue 6-2-2
7t. Bsak16 6-2-1
7t. JonMiddleGa 6-2-1
9. MikeVic 5-3-1
10t. yacovfb 5-3-1
10t. TazFTW 5-3-1
12. Fidatelo 4-4-2
13. DetoxRox 4-4-1
14. Pyser 3-5-1

I just realized that I was 6-2. I had Boston and Washington.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #443
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Montreal in 6
Rangers in 7
Detroit in 6
San Jose in 7
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #444
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
The three most notable exclusions: Kerry Fraser
grblgmmfr
Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #445
Booj
High School JV

I'm still getting used to this whole Montreal-as-favourite thing. I don't like the added pressure it brings...
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #446
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...anks?year=2008

PING: Maple Leafs...

121. Toronto Maple Leafs
Old 04-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #447
bronconick
College Starter

I'm guessing ESPN really doesn't know hockey. The one thing I hear about from almost every Red Wing fan I know is how un-fan-friendly the organization has gotten because of their success (few if any open practices, not many events outside of games, high prices, though I note that they did rate them 97th in affordability, so that would be separate) and they're 6th in fan friendliness.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #448
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Re: the ESPN survey.

Go to the overall list and sort by "TTR" -- i.e. "Title Track", or how close a team is to a championship.

Look who's #1. Out of every team, in all four sports.

Good job, ESPN. Excellent survey.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #449
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah but look who is next to last in TTR too!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #450
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yes, that team will win the Cup before the Pats win another Super Bowl. FOR SURE.