Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #301
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
dola

Hawks also have the draft rights to Aussie 6'11 PF/C David Andersen, 27 years old now, and apparently are thinking about bringing him over next season.

He's with CSKA Moscow (a team SI said was probably better than half a dozen NBA teams) as their starting PF right now and just took out the Euroleague title. I've seen him play a little bit for Australia at the international level, and he's a very talented jump-shooting big guy who would be able to step straight in and contribute in the NBA.

His contract with CSKA Moscow is up this offseason, but it'll be a question of whether the Hawks are willing to pay more than he can make playing in Europe.
If he was drafted, would he be subject to the rookie scale, or is that just for 1st-round picks?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #302
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The can sign him using any cap space they have, or midlevel exception. Since he was a 2nd rounder, he is not subject to a salary scale.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #303
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the Pistons hired the Hawks timekeeping staff tonight.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #304
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

How can they just make a judgement call like that? To me, if the clock doesn't start you reset the clock and run the play again. That seems crazy.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #305
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Also mostly irrelevant really. One play in a 48-minute game that happened at the end of the third quarter is much ado about nothing.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When it came down to the last minute and the pistons were ahead by 3, i think it matters. At least a little bit.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #307
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No more than any other missed or made shot throughout the game, any other missed call, any other turnover etc.

Point is, there are so many opportunities for the game to change one way or the other, it's silly to elevate this one sequence and say that's a major reason why a team wins or loses.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #308
Groundhog
Coordinator

OK, so, for the 7th time this postseason I'll say it again; I was wrong about the Hornets.

Last edited by Groundhog : 05-05-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #309
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
OK, so, for the 7th time this postseason I'll say it again; I was wrong about the Hornets.

You are not the only one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #310
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Chris Paul for MVP? Is it too late? If things work out, this western conference finals matchup is going to be epic.

In the Detroit/Orlando game, first off that's kind of a dumb rule that they can only look at TV replays if it's at the end of the half or game, but that wasn't even the worst call. The one that pissed me off was the dead-ball foul with like 1 minute left. Any contact happened on the far side of the court and the ref in the corner clearly watched the player stumble all the way across the court without going for his whistle. As soon as the player finally fell, immediately blows it for a foul. Either call it a foul or don't. Waiting for the player to fall is bullshit, and it leads to players diving in the long-term.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #311
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Chris Paul for MVP? Is it too late?

Lol. Next time.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #312
Groundhog
Coordinator

A good example of the kind of defense LeBron will be up against all night.

How many points will he need to average this series for the Cavs to have a chance? 40?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #313
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

celtics up by 10 after a quarter, and pierce only played the first couple minutes (2 early fouls). Rondo and Garnett are playing great 2-man ball and having their way with the Cavs.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #314
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
celtics up by 10 after a quarter, and pierce only played the first couple minutes (2 early fouls). Rondo and Garnett are playing great 2-man ball and having their way with the Cavs.
Cool... I have actually watched some playoff basketball and surprisingly haven't regretted it.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #315
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's a funny thing that guys seem to start sucking as soon as they become Cavs. I mean, Wally Z, the only thing he's been able to do in the NBA well is shoot the ball. He becomes a Cav? Shot goes away. Joe Smith had been having a great season for the Bulls. Becomes a Cav? Nothing.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #316
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a funny thing that guys seem to start sucking as soon as they become Cavs. I mean, Wally Z, the only thing he's been able to do in the NBA well is shoot the ball. He becomes a Cav? Shot goes away. Joe Smith had been having a great season for the Bulls. Becomes a Cav? Nothing.

they must just get caught up in "lebron watching"

WTF is up with Allen & Pierce still not having scored and Lebron being < 10 pts this is a weird game
Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #317
Groundhog
Coordinator

The NBA: Where 24% shooting happens.

Lucky the Cavs have shot 16 FTs, because 24% shooting aint going to get you too far.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #318
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ugly half by both team - with the exception of KG + rondo no one seems to be in form

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-06-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #319
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cavs have managed to cut the C's lead down by 6pts, but they were going against a bunch of the reserves for what seemed (to me) of the majority of the quarter
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #320
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

How the fuck are the Celtics going to win when Paul Pierce and Ray Allen combine for FOUR fucking points?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #321
larrymcg421
Head Coach

LeBron once again misses a big end of game layup. I think he was fouled both times, but he still has to make those shots either way.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #322
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
How the fuck are the Celtics going to win when Paul Pierce and Ray Allen combine for FOUR fucking points?

How the fuck did the Cavs not lose by 30 with LeBron going 2-18 for 12 points?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #323
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
How the fuck did the Cavs not lose by 30 with LeBron going 2-18 for 12 points?

I think pretty simply b/c Pierce and Allen were a combined 2-18 with only 4 points.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #324
Groundhog
Coordinator

The NBA must love these Cavs-anyone playoff series, where every game is a low percentage shooting snore-fest.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #325
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Kenny Smith's suit just broke my television.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #326
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
The NBA must love these Cavs-anyone playoff series, where every game is a low percentage shooting snore-fest.

The Hawks games were infinitely more entertaining.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #327
molson
General Manager

I don't like Paul Pierce. He annoyed me again tonight - when he had 2 points at the half or whatever it was, you KNEW he was going to take a bunch of bad shots in the 3rd quarter, charge into everyone, and get the team in a bigger hole.

What a weird game.

Last edited by molson : 05-06-2008 at 10:43 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #328
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ge_tab_newstab

Atlanta Hawks general manager Billy Knight has resigned after six years with the organization, effective July 1.

Knight resigned Tuesday night after a late afternoon meeting with Hawks part owner and NBA Governor Michael Gearon Jr.

"The time has come for me to take a break and fully evaluate my future plans," Knight said in a statement released by the organization Wednesday morning. "I am tremendously pleased with what we were able to accomplish this season in reaching the postseason, as the Hawks' return to the playoffs energized the city and our franchise.

"My passion for the franchise has never wavered, but I feel I'm leaving the organization in much better shape than it was in when I took over. I also appreciate the jobs done by Mike (Woodson), his staff and the players during this season. They are most deserving of the praise and accolades they earned during a tough, seven-game series against the Eastern Conference's top team entering the playoffs, and I wish them and the Spirit organization the very best in the future."

The Hawks ended a nine-year playoff drought this season and pushed the Boston Celtics to a Game 7 in a first round playoff series that ended Sunday.

Knight, 55, built the Hawks from the ground up, having spent his first season with the organization as the director of basketball operations before taking over as general manager.

The Hawks' best season under Knight came this year with a 37-45 regular season record and that first round playoff exit.

We respect the decision Billy has made to resign and we are grateful and appreciative of the job he has done," Gearon said in a statement released by the team.

"Billy has built a team of athletic, high character players who have enormous potential. Under his leadership, the Hawks were not only the youngest team in this year's playoffs, but have also proven to be the most exciting team Atlanta has seen since the Dominique (Wilkins) era of the 80's. We look forward to building on Billy's success as we continue our efforts to emerge as one of the NBA's elite franchises for a long time to come."
Old 05-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #329
rkmsuf
Head Coach

that cavs/c's game was like watching two monkeys hump a football
Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #330
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

I'll add my translation...

Atlanta Hawks general manager Billy Knight has resigned after six years with the organization, effective July 1. Thank you God.

Knight resigned Tuesday night after a late afternoon meeting with Hawks part owner and NBA Governor Michael Gearon Jr.

"The time has come for me to take a break and fully evaluate my future plans," Knight said in a statement released by the organization Wednesday morning. "I am tremendously pleased with what we were able to accomplish this season in reaching the postseason, as the Hawks' return to the playoffs energized the city and our franchise.

"My passion for the franchise has never wavered, but I feel I'm leaving the organization in much better shape than it was in when I took over. I also appreciate the jobs done by Mike (Woodson), his staff and the players during this season. They are most deserving of the praise and accolades they earned during a tough, seven-game series against the Eastern Conference's top team entering the playoffs, and I wish them and the Spirit organization the very best in the future."
I tried to fire Mike but the owners wouldn't let me. My ego is bruised.

The Hawks ended a nine-year playoff drought this season and pushed the Boston Celtics to a Game 7 in a first round playoff series that ended Sunday.
The east sucks.

Knight, 55, built the Hawks from the ground up, having spent his first season with the organization as the director of basketball operations before taking over as general manager.

The Hawks' best season under Knight came this year with a 37-45 regular season record and that first round playoff exit.
This is fucking terrible.

We respect the decision Billy has made to resign and we are grateful and appreciative of the job he has done," Gearon said in a statement released by the team.

"Billy has built a team of athletic, high character players who have enormous potential. Under his leadership, the Hawks were not only the youngest team in this year's playoffs, but have also proven to be the most exciting team Atlanta has seen since the Dominique (Wilkins) era of the 80's. We look forward to building on Billy's success as we continue our efforts to emerge as one of the NBA's elite franchises for a long time to come."
Billy passed on drafting Chris Paul because he was too short. We waited two years to ensure that, yes, it was as dumb as it sounded at the time. Hopefully our new GM will avoid doing something as monumentally stupid.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Hopefully our new GM, Isiah Thomas, will avoid doing something as monumentally stupid.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-07-2008 at 04:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #332
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

It's not even funny. Reportedly we're weighing up an offer for former Sixers GM Billy King. He's not in Isiah's class, but is unsurpassed in handing out obscene extensions to role players. Jon Konkak would be proud.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #333
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

LeBron 3-13 in the first half, the Cavs with SEVEN 2nd Quarter points with 1:00 to play.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #334
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, at least I get to catch the first Cavs game at home live on the weekend. LeBron figures to blow-up.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #335
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm really glad I'm not watching this game. 5-20 so far for LeBron.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #336
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think lebron has to do a little better at home, but I don't expect him to magically bust out. I think the C's defense just has him bottled up
Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #337
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

LeBron needs to learn how to fight through this because right now he has taken a few steps back in my mind. He needs to develop a damn shot else the blueprint on him is out.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #338
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
LeBron needs to learn how to fight through this because right now he has taken a few steps back in my mind. He needs to develop a damn shot else the blueprint on him is out.

doesn't help him that the other threats on his team are big Z and Wally Sczerbiak (who has to be wheeled out onto the court in a damn wheelchair practically).

The C's have no defense for Z, that is true. And he has been hot. But Sczerbiak is a bum, so it's basically 2-man basketball with lebron being doubled and force to shoot (poor) jumpshots.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #339
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
doesn't help him that the other threats on his team are big Z and Wally Sczerbiak (who has to be wheeled out onto the court in a damn wheelchair practically).

The C's have no defense for Z, that is true. And he has been hot. But Sczerbiak is a bum, so it's basically 2-man basketball with lebron being doubled and force to shoot (poor) jumpshots.

While some of that is true to a point I still believe LeBron needs to nutt up and play through this, because his demeanor on the court is one of defeat. Did he not watch film? He has taken a few steps back in my opinion because someone with his size and strenght should still be able to get to the basket.

I was taught that if your able to get pass the first defender then you should be able to make the layup or get fouled. I am watching the game with a bunch of other basketball guys and all of them are saying he is a bitch, and I agree with them. He is better then what he showed and not to take anything away from the Celtics who as expected stepped their games up but the reason LeBron isn't playing better is because of LeBron.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #340
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
While some of that is true to a point I still believe LeBron needs to nutt up and play through this, because his demeanor on the court is one of defeat. Did he not watch film? He has taken a few steps back in my opinion because someone with his size and strenght should still be able to get to the basket.

I was taught that if your able to get pass the first defender then you should be able to make the layup or get fouled. I am watching the game with a bunch of other basketball guys and all of them are saying he is a bitch, and I agree with them. He is better then what he showed and not to take anything away from the Celtics who as expected stepped their games up but the reason LeBron isn't playing better is because of LeBron.

no doubt he needs to nutt up and play through it, that's what great players do. But if you watch, it seems that he was having a very difficult time getting past the first defender because of the help defense and the cushion they were giving him (note that I probably am less basketball-knowledgable than you and your buddies, just saying what it seemed like)
Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #341
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I was taught that if your able to get pass the first defender then you should be able to make the layup or get fouled.

I haven't seen the game, but if the Celtics are playing him like they played Joe Johnson, it's not quite so easy - you get around the first defender and then you have 3 other guys sagging in on you. It's also what San Antonio did to him last year in the finals.

Last edited by Groundhog : 05-08-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #342
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I watched him countless times just give up the pass even before the double team arrived. If he tried I am sure he will be able to draw fouls and eventually put a few defenders in foul trouble. It has been my experience that once you have passed the first defender the rest should not matter.

He should be making layups and baby jumpers all game or making passes to teammates headed toward the basket. Either that or drawing fouls.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #343
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
It has been my experience that once you have passed the first defender the rest should not matter.

So then really fast guys that can get past their man at will should be indefensible, right?

Also, what is your experience at NBA basketball?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #344
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
So then really fast guys that can get past their man at will should be indefensible, right?

Also, what is your experience at NBA basketball?

I have zero experience with NBA basketball and other then my experience coaching and playing I guess I am talking out my ass.

Last edited by Noop : 05-08-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #345
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have zero experience with NBA basketball and other then my experience coaching and playing I guess I am talking out my ass.

Excellent, we have found common ground!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #346
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Excellent, we have found common ground!

Ergh... No. If it were Micheal Jordan, Kobe, Larry Bird or any number of great players they would have found a way to make the Celtics pay. So what is your experience with the NBA other then sitting on your ass and watching. I am going to guess none.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #347
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Ergh... No. If it were Micheal Jordan, Kobe, Larry Bird or any number of great players they would have found a way to make the Celtics pay. So what is your experience with the NBA other then sitting on your ass and watching. I am going to guess none.

Heh, any time that tried that against Bird would have paid dearly, because McHale would have 40+ points. Same with Gasol or Pippen. Unfortunately, LeBron does not have anyone nearly as good as those guys.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #348
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Good defensive teams are more than capable of stopping a player from a layup/foul in most situations where they beat the first man -- it will usually lead to an open shot for someone else, but that beating the first guy theory is far too simplistic.

The supporting cast is an issue with LeBron, and his outside shot also isn't as good as those other players. All of these things have their effect. When he makes his outside shot he's unstoppable, but he's not consistent enough with it to defeat a team that is willing to give it to him all the time and force others to make shots, when he doesn't have many guys on his team that can do that or put pressure on the defense on their own.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #349
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Heh, any time that tried that against Bird would have paid dearly, because McHale would have 40+ points. Same with Gasol or Pippen. Unfortunately, LeBron does not have anyone nearly as good as those guys.

I meant killer instinct. But you have a valid point which makes last season's run to the finals so odd. How did he do it last season but not this season?

I enjoy watching LeBron play and think he is one of the most dominate players in the game today. That being said his attitude tonight was deplorable for someone who is suppose to be a superstar. His body language was of someone who flat out quit in my opinion. He does not have that never say died attitude like Micheal Jordan, Larry Bird, or Kobe in my opinion. Each of those guys and many others when given daylight would have taken advantage of it.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #350
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Good defensive teams are more than capable of stopping a player from a layup/foul in most situations where they beat the first man -- it will usually lead to an open shot for someone else, but that beating the first guy theory is far too simplistic.

It is simple. Beat the first guy and force the defense to either stay at home and let you have an easy layup or shot. Or they can provide help defense and the person who is open should be making his way toward the basket. Utah with Stockon and Malone were known for this... The problem I saw with LeBron was he would make his move with the intention of passing and not attacking the basketball.