Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The OFFICIAL 2008-09 NHL Thread

Rather than posting this in the Offseason thread, and since the Pens open camp tomorrow, play a preason game on Saturday, and open the regular season just into October...it was time for the OFFICIAL season thread.

One item of note in Pittsburgh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Post Gazette
Therrien declined to say whether he will shift Jordan Staal, a center by trade, onto Evgeni Malkin's left wing, filling the void created by the departure of Ryan Malone, but the consensus of others inside the organization is that using Staal there is Plan A.

I agree with the move. A top six:

Fedetenko - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora

Looks alot better than

Dupuis - Crosby - Satan
Fedetenko - Malkin - Sykora

I actually would even prefer Staal play alongside Crosby, and Fedetenko taking Malones position.
And it is reasonable with Max Talbot able to play 3rd line minute, rather than Staal at 3rd line C.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 09-16-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
watravaler
High School JV

The Blackhawks make the playoffs! Mark it down!
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Ducks have placed D Mathieu Schneider on waivers.

He's got 1 year left at $5.75 and was pretty productive last year. Do LA and Atlanta still need to reach the cap floor?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

For the first time ever, I read an NHL Season preview magazine. Am going to try to make it out for my first ever hockey experience this year as well.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this thread = too soon

Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Ducks have placed D Mathieu Schneider on waivers.

He's got 1 year left at $5.75 and was pretty productive last year. Do LA and Atlanta still need to reach the cap floor?

Shit. I hate waivers. You can't tell me you can't move him for a pick at least. Jeez, Burke, first Bryzgalov, now Schneider? Yes, we do need Teemu on this team, but that doesn't mean just give good players away.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
For the first time ever, I read an NHL Season preview magazine. Am going to try to make it out for my first ever hockey experience this year as well.

Good timing. Old man Wirtz is dead, and the Hawks look pretty good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
this thread = too soon

IT'S NEVER TOO SOON!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Shit. I hate waivers. You can't tell me you can't move him for a pick at least. Jeez, Burke, first Bryzgalov, now Schneider? Yes, we do need Teemu on this team, but that doesn't mean just give good players away.

The Bryzgalov one I totally agree, but no way someone deals for Scheneider knowing the cap hell Anaheim is in. Burke did this to himself.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The Bryzgalov one I totally agree, but no way someone deals for Scheneider knowing the cap hell Anaheim is in. Burke did this to himself.

Not sure I agree, although I understand. Who needs a pricey, one-year defenseman? Not the dregs of the league, but the contenders. Who gets first shot in waivers? The dregs.

Now instead of tossing a pick or okay prospect to Anaheim for Schneider, said contenders will have to pay an arm and a leg to some non-contender with no reason to move Schneider.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the kings would be smart to pick him up
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the kings would be smart to pick him up

That's what I have been saying. Schneider still has a place in Manhattan Beach, in fact.

But my brother (the diehard Kings fan) insists they don't need him to get to the floor because of a couple contracts they can still sign (O'Sullivan and one other). I think losing Blake means they could use Schneids as a guy to help tutor the kids while keeping them respectable, then deal him at the deadline. Can't lose there. It was even worth a pick to the Kings or an okay prospect (stupid Burke... )

Old 09-17-2008, 04:54 AM   #13
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Rather than posting this in the Offseason thread, and since the Pens open camp tomorrow, play a preason game on Saturday, and open the regular season just into October...it was time for the OFFICIAL season thread.

One item of note in Pittsburgh:

I agree with the move. A top six:

Fedetenko - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora

Looks alot better than

Dupuis - Crosby - Satan
Fedetenko - Malkin - Sykora

I actually would even prefer Staal play alongside Crosby, and Fedetenko taking Malones position.
And it is reasonable with Max Talbot able to play 3rd line minute, rather than Staal at 3rd line C.

Satan on 1st line = fail
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Satan on 1st line = fail

OK...We'll call the Malkin line the 1st line, Crosby's the 2nd.

But honestly, I'll go out on a limb and say he'll be slightly more productive with Crosby than he was with Comrie/Weight/Sillinger/whoever the hell else centered his line on the island.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #15
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Anyone know of any good, free hockey pool cheatsheets?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings' start their traning camp up in Traverse City later this week. Based on the most recent interview with Babcock, here's what the Wings' potential line-up could look like when the season starts:

Forwards:

Hossa-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Hulder-Zettberg-Franzen
Cleary-Filppula-Samuelsson
Draper-Maltby-Helm/McCarty/Leino/Kopecky/Downey

Who knows how long he will be able to keep Datsyuk and Zetterberg apart. They keep wanting to do that, but they always seem to end up playing together. Assuming Franzen picks up where he left off at the end of last season, or even at about 75% of where he left off, they will have at least two very dangerous lines and very good depth. I always envisioned the top two lines as follows:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

As for the "bubble" players, things will shake out during camp and on the pre-season. Despite how great Helm played as a rookie in the playoffs (he really added quite a spark with his speed), I think he'll be sent to Grand Rapids simply because he can. Leino, the top (or second) leading scorer in the Finish league last year, will be interesting. I doubt he makes the Wings' roster out of the gate, but if he can show he's got the skills to play in North America he could be quickly recalled. The Wings signed both Downey and McCarty to two-way deals. I like both players, but there really is only room (and need) for one of these guys on the roster. I think Kopecky, assuming he is and can remain healthy, will make the team.

Defense:

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Stuart-Kronwall
Lebda/Chelios/Quincey/Meech/Lilja/Ericsson

The top 4 are set.

The Wings have a bit of log jam after that, except for Lebda, who I also think is a given to make the team.

Both Quincey and Meech have run out of AHL options. They'd need to clear waivers if they get sent down, so I'd look for one of the two to get moved before the season starts. It's also possible that this could happen with Lilja as well.

I think Chelios will be on the team, but only see spot duty.

I think Ericsson has the most potential out of the bunch, but because he has at least another year left in the minors, he may get squeezed out and spend another year in Grand Rapids.

Goalies:

Osgood
Conklin/Howard

I think Conklin will beat out Howard for the back-up spot. Conklin is a great back-up and has proven he can handle the load in case of injury. Question marks always hang over the Red Wings' netminding situation, but I don't know what else Osgood has to prove. He's won two Cups and has been very solid in net the last couple of years, particularly during last year's playoffs. Still, if anything can derail the Wings it would be either injuries or spotty goaltending.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
this thread = too soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
IT'S NEVER TOO SOON!!!

Agreed. Besides, have you seen how awful Michigan football and the Detroit Lions have been this year? Hockey needs to get here and get here fast.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #18
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I think Ericsson has the most potential out of the bunch, but because he has at least another year left in the minors, he may get squeezed out and spend another year in Grand Rapids.

I could be wrong, but I thought Ericcson has some designation, some type of restricted free agent, that he must remain on the Wings roster this season?

Edit-- I think I am wrong. I think he had to be offered a one-way deal, but can still can be sent to GR. He'll just earn the same salary.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 09-17-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I thought Ericcson has some designation, some type of restricted free agent, that he must remain on the Wings roster this season?

Edit-- I think I am wrong. I think he had to be offered a one-way deal, but can still can be sent to GR. He'll just earn the same salary.

Yes, the "Edit" is correct.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The problem with Leino is he has an out in his contract where basically he has to agree to be sent down and if he is (he says he is with this mind you) he can opt out at years end assuming he doesn't see a future.

Chances are it doesn't matter anyway as he is fighting for the 13th spot and said he'll go to GR to work to start the year.

Anyway, Kopecky will probably be the 13th forward assuming his knee is alright, and from there it'll be a numbers game.

On D, I still think they're looking to deal Lilja for something to clear one mil off the books, and as you said, one of Quincy/Meech will be gone.

I think the 6th D will be Chelios for about 50 games and Ericcson for 30, though Ericcson and not Chelly will be the ones to fill in for injuries (cough Kronwall) if they know the guy will be out a while.

Chelly will do enough to get his name on the Cup assuming we win, and then I truly believe ride off into the sunset.

As far as in net, I hope it's Ozzy and Conklin, and then let Howard and Larsson start competing in Grand Rapids.

Hell Grand Rapids will be awesome this year to watch because of all the youth there: Abdelkader, Helm, Kindl, Howard, Larsson, etc.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #21
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Well, it's not taking long at all for the injury bug to tear up Carolina again. Fresh off the news that Brind'Amour had some knee work done a few days ago to clean up his knee (ligaments OK, cartiledge not) that will leave him out until the start of the season, Justin Williams is essentially done for most of this year after rupturing an Achilles in a training session today.

Jeff O'Neill, come on down!

Man, that Erik Cole trade looks really smart right about now....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Well, it's not taking long at all for the injury bug to tear up Carolina again. Fresh off the news that Brind'Amour had some knee work done a few days ago to clean up his knee (ligaments OK, cartiledge not) that will leave him out until the start of the season, Justin Williams is essentially done for most of this year after rupturing an Achilles in a training session today.

Jeff O'Neill, come on down!

I hear the Lightning may have some spare forwards.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #23
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

The good Dr must be sleeping on this one, but Flyers named Mike Richards as captain, replacing Jason Smith.

As a Penguins fan, I have to say that Richards is much too young to be a captain.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Dola

The good Dr must be sleeping on this one, but Flyers named Mike Richards as captain, replacing Jason Smith.

As a Penguins fan, I have to say that Richards is much too young to be a captain.

And as a Penguins fan, you must also have to say that Richards grows far too little facial hair to be a captain.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Umm, Go umm...sabres?

I'm still recovering from the hangover that was 07-08.......Maybe we'll get better this year. We couldn't get much worse., well, we could....but then what would Toronto do? Play Lacrosse?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #26
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
And as a Penguins fan, you must also have to say that Richards grows far too little facial hair to be a captain.

And he doesn't dive really well.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #27
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I can now get my Richards jersey with the C on it.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #28
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post

Don't worry, I'm sure Cole won't be too far behind.

Something tells me that our first line is going to look different every month for one reason or another...whether it's injuries or just MacT's constant need to mess with things.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #29
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

This one?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #30
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Not for another 13 years for that one...
Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #31
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Old 09-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #32
MikeVic
Head Coach

Whoa whoa whoa.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #33
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wasn't Mike Richards the guy that made some racist remarks when doing stand-up comedy?

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

No that's Pat Quinn.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #35
bbor
Pro Starter

ML...can we have a "My Leafs are looking good in preseason" thread?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #36
boberot
High School Varsity

Quick thoughts on the Sabres' season:
* First off, great job securing Jason Pominville to a long-term deal [just today].
* I'm actually excited about the team's new association with the minor league affiliate from Portland, coached by Kevin Dineen. Dineen is one of those guys I've always admired as an opponent.
* I'm in the minority of people in Western NY who see G Ryan Miller as more "middle-of-the-pack" than elite, but I feel and hope he can take his game to another level this season. That being said, I'm thrilled to have Patrick Lalime spelling him instead of Jocelyn Thibeaux.
* The defense last year was migraine-inducing, but I have hope that the addition of Craig Rivet, the maturing of Mike Weber and Andrej Sekera, the return to health of Teppo Numinen and a return to form for Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman can make for a pretty solid corps of blueliners.
* There probably aren't too many wingers on this year's squad that are household names outside of Buffalo and fantasy hockey geeks, but they've got a lot of young talent that should only perform better this year, and which still managed to finish 4th in scoring last season.

PREDICTION
I dont think they win the division, but they make the playoffs, win a round, and get bounced.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #37
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Updated: 09/18/08 6:30 PM

Buzz up!

The Buffalo Sabres have agreed on a five-year, $26.5 million contract extension with high-scoring right winger Jason Pominville. The extension will keep the 25-year-old in Buffalo through the 2013-14 season.
Pominville, who would have become a restricted free agent at the end of the 2008-09 season, will make $4.5 million in 2009-10 and $5.5 million in each of the remaining four seasons.
A native of Repentigny, Quebec, Pominville finished second on the team in scoring last season, posting career highs in points (80) and assists (53), along with 27 goals. He was also a team-high plus-16 in 82 games. He has 178 points in 222 career NHL games in Buffalo.
He was a finalist for the Lady Byng Trophy.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #38
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Pre-season got underway last night and the Oilers lost in a shootout...which is unheard of. Souray apparently looked like he was worth every penny of that huge contract he signed last summer which is great to hear...now, just sit him down until the season starts!! Gagne and Cole each scored a goal...Souray had the other...and all accounts say the young guys (Gagne, Schremp, etc.) looked pretty good. Good start so far.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #39
rowech
Pro Starter

Does anybody know if HDNET is carrying games this year? I got into hockey for the first time last year and liked the Versus and HDNet games, especially having them every Saturday night. I ask, only because if they won't be on HDNET, I might consider getting the NHL package.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #40
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Quick thoughts on the Sabres' season:
* First off, great job securing Jason Pominville to a long-term deal [just today].
* I'm actually excited about the team's new association with the minor league affiliate from Portland, coached by Kevin Dineen. Dineen is one of those guys I've always admired as an opponent.
* I'm in the minority of people in Western NY who see G Ryan Miller as more "middle-of-the-pack" than elite, but I feel and hope he can take his game to another level this season. That being said, I'm thrilled to have Patrick Lalime spelling him instead of Jocelyn Thibeaux.
* The defense last year was migraine-inducing, but I have hope that the addition of Craig Rivet, the maturing of Mike Weber and Andrej Sekera, the return to health of Teppo Numinen and a return to form for Henrik Tallinder and Toni Lydman can make for a pretty solid corps of blueliners.
* There probably aren't too many wingers on this year's squad that are household names outside of Buffalo and fantasy hockey geeks, but they've got a lot of young talent that should only perform better this year, and which still managed to finish 4th in scoring last season.

PREDICTION
I dont think they win the division, but they make the playoffs, win a round, and get bounced.

I think that Miller is solid, but not elite. Of course, he got overworked last year and had no defensive help.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #41
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Looks like the Pens may've lost Gonchar a good while. Gonna be a rough go early for the Pens but assuming he is back in January or so, it gives them a great chance to establish dance.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #42
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I heard the Blackhawks were 200 tickets away from having their first ever sold out preaseason game tonight.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #43
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

ping: Pumpy

Colin "John" White?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #44
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

me too.

So what's the over under date on when Mats Sundin signs somewhere?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #45
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
me too.

So what's the over under date on when Mats Sundin signs somewhere?

I didn't know you were a Flyer fan.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #46
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
I didn't know you were a Flyer fan.

I don't really have a favorite team, but John LeClair is/was my favorite player so I do have a place in my heart for them. Plus Wachovia Center isn't hard to get to.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #47
GMO
Mascot

The Ottawa Senators will soon be going to Sweden to play a couple games.
I don't think it will help the Senators.
There are too many negatives for a NHL team to play some of their games in Europe.
GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #48
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looks like the Pens may've lost Gonchar a good while. Gonna be a rough go early for the Pens but assuming he is back in January or so, it gives them a great chance to establish dance.

Still no MRI as of today, waiting for the swelling to go down, but officially out indefinitely.

Remember too, Whitney is already out til at least November, possibly as long as January.

So welcome to the Kris Letang show. He's going to get a bunch of minutes, especially on the PP. He played well as a 20 year old last year, and is a RH shot. Also, Alex Goligoski will no doubt make the team out of camp now. He broke the AHL playoff records for rookie and defensemen scoring last season.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #49
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Sabres will be fine this year.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #50
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Hockey News: Screen Shots: Screen Shots: Eastern Conference predictions

Eastern Conference

1. Philadelphia Flyers