Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #201
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I am sure I'll get label a Penguins apologist or Crosby fan-boy...but Ovechkin proved out while he is a superior goalscorer, I don't think he's a better overall player than Crosby (or maybe Malkin even). He spent half his night on his side of the redline-great when the Caps have the puck, not great when he's cherry-picking.

The running around after Malkin...I read over and over last season how he's so improved defensively, I don't get how targeting one guy and trying to plow into him all night is great defensive play-- especially when the hit Malkin avoided along the wall, for any 3rd line player on any team in the league, would be an automatic charging call.

But the most selfish thing I saw all night was him shoot for the empty net from 70 feet away, miss, and give the Pens another faceoff. Nothing would have been better than to see them score directly from that faceoff.

I'd attribute a lot of that to Ovechkin starting off really slowly. He has a lot of pressure on him, and unlike Crosby, he doesn't have as much talent surrounding him. Still, his lapses this year have been pretty inexcusable, though the empty netter I don't mind as much because a lot of goal scorers need that first one to get rolling. He probably saw his chance and took it. I mean outside of his game vs Chicago, he has been pretty meh.

I still don't know who is better between he or Crosby. I like AO more, but Crosby does a lot for his team which gives him a slight edge. I think Ovechkin has shown he can be great defensivley if he can harness his intensity, but like you said last night, he still obviously can't.

I think in 2-3 years we'll know for sure, but for now I'll give it to Crosby since his team has played (and ahem lost) for a Cup.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #202
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think Crosby is the better player, but I like AO's personality more. I don't really think you can go wrong with either one. This is sort of like Gretzky-Lemieux for the new generation.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #203
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well the devils new and improved offense has 6 goals in 4 games (but 3 wins). and now rolston has gone down with a high ankle sprain. awesome.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #204
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think Crosby is the better player, but I like AO's personality more. I don't really think you can go wrong with either one. This is sort of like Gretzky-Lemieux for the new generation.

True. Except for the fact that Zetterberg is better than both of them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #205
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Um, where?

Just to note, I didn't mean you.

Here are just an example:

Mara worthless trash BUM - Rangers Team Talk - RANGERSnet Message Board -

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-17-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #206
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
True. Except for the fact that Zetterberg is better than both of them.

Zetterberg isn't even the best player on his team.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #207
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Zetterberg isn't even the best player on his team.

I know.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #208
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Speaking of great players, on the opposite end of the spectrum, Kyle Wellwood was just waived by the Canucks. Looks like daddy's Chubby Little Secret just couldn't get it in gear.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #209
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Speaking of great players, on the opposite end of the spectrum, Kyle Wellwood was just waived by the Canucks. Looks like daddy's Chubby Little Secret just couldn't get it in gear.

I feel bad for that girl in the NHL09 commercial now. Didn't she like the Canucks and Wellwood?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #210
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

For those looking for a new NHL jersey check out nhl.com as they are having a one day sale where customization (name and number) is free.

In Canada be sure to use this link otherwise you won't be able to complete the purchase:

http://shop.canada.nhl.com/category/...goryId=3169596
Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #211
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'd attribute a lot of that to Ovechkin starting off really slowly. He has a lot of pressure on him, and unlike Crosby, he doesn't have as much talent surrounding him. Still, his lapses this year have been pretty inexcusable, though the empty netter I don't mind as much because a lot of goal scorers need that first one to get rolling. He probably saw his chance and took it. I mean outside of his game vs Chicago, he has been pretty meh.

I still don't know who is better between he or Crosby. I like AO more, but Crosby does a lot for his team which gives him a slight edge. I think Ovechkin has shown he can be great defensivley if he can harness his intensity, but like you said last night, he still obviously can't.

I think in 2-3 years we'll know for sure, but for now I'll give it to Crosby since his team has played (and ahem lost) for a Cup.

I didn't even mean this in the 'who is the better player' argument way.

But I do agree that the overused cliche of he makes his team better holds true. Crosby had (arguably) one weakness heading into the season- faceoffs. He's at 54% right now, and has taken more draws than any player in the league. 54% isn't great, but I'd guess at the end of the season, that's in the top 25. Now, I see 20X the number of Pens games then I see Caps games. But the only times Ovechkin bothered to help deep in the defensive zone was when he was running around trying to smash Malkin. More often then not, he was leaving the zone looking for a breakout pass.

I'll also argue that, while it held true a few years ago, the talent disparity is not as great anymore. Ovechkin-Semin-Backstrom - Federov - Green - Clark compares pretty favorably to Crosby - Malkin - Staal - Letang - Sykora.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #212
RendeR
Coordinator

Sabres looking like a powerhouse against the Canucks tonight, 3-0 with a little over 2 left in the first. 2 fights already and kaleta continues baiting the hapless opponents into stupid penalties.

GO SABRES!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #213
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Sabres looking like a powerhouse against the Canucks tonight, 3-0 with a little over 2 left in the first. 2 fights already and kaleta continues baiting the hapless opponents into stupid penalties.

GO SABRES!

5-2 finish tonight. Vanek nets another goal (6 in 4 games). Kaleta baits another guy to punch him, yet he keeps his globes on. You could see the Canucks were trying to run after him for the rest of the game. I just can't wait until we play teams like Ottawa, Philly, and Toronto. He got under the skin of Burrows for sure.

Have I mentioned how much I dislike Andrew Peters?

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-17-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #214
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

The Oilers are 3-0 after a solid effort in Calgary. The PP was the key tonight with 3 PP markers in the 2nd period. JDD, rookie goalie, had a pretty solid night for his first career win especially in a hositle environment in the first installment of the Battle of Alberta.

Of note, Souray left the game in the 2nd after getting tangled up with Bertuzzi. Speculation from the commentators is a knee injury. Fingers crossed this isn't a repeat of last season with Souray.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #215
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
This coming from the guy whose team has had the likes of Darcy Tucker and Tai Domi on the ice??
You thought Tie Domi's role was to be an agitator? Really?

And Tucker's role wasn't to be an agitator, it was to be a first or second-line forward and occasionally to drop the gloves when he needed to. When he did that he was fine. When he played the Sideshow Bob role, I didn't like it any more than you guys.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 10-18-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #216
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Agitators are retarded. Maltby tries that shit all the time after the play and I hope he gets decked. When a guy is known as an agitator, it's code for "he sucks". Even Avery isn't known as an agitator. He can play. He's just a dick.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #217
bbor
Pro Starter

Ya i would have a hard time saying Domi is an agitator.In my books an agitator is a rat who stirs up shit but never drops the gloves when the call comes.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #218
RendeR
Coordinator

To be honest I never watched Domi play that often, its more a reputation of being a dirty player that followed him around after a number of things he did. The clearest one in my memory being the blatant elbow to the head of another player.

Tucker, as you say, is better if he shuts up and plays, but the sideshow routine just makes him look retarded.

If an aggitator is someone who causes trouble but never steps up to follow it through then Kaleta isn't that. he's dropped the gloves and body slammed people already this season. He's just smart enough to know that its better for the team if he chooses his battles and lets the other team be stupid.

It didn't help the Mara and Kaleta have a history, kaleta busted up mara's face pretty badly last year. And in an interview after the Vancouver game he said something along the lines of "Yeah, i wanted to smack them around but they were so eager it was simpler to let them take the penalties"

I really like Kaleta, he busts his ass, and other peoples every minute he's on the ice. For a team like buffalo he's helping to replace the "sot" reputation we've had with some brute force.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #219
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Domi was an enforcer, pure and simple. He had two cheap shot incidents, one bad (Niedermayer) and one maybe not so bad (Samuellson). Other than that, he was a pretty honorable player. Definitely not an agitator.

When I talk about agitators, I'm not talking about guys who go out and play physical and throw hits and draw penalties by being disciplined. That's fine. I'm talking guys like Ruutu and Avery who are always trying to get under a guy's skin, and then dive as soon as they're touched. Sure, you get a powerplay, but there's no honor in playing like that.

Really haven't seen Kaleta play so no idea what category he falls into.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #220
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

When I talk about agitators, I'm not talking about guys who go out and play physical and throw hits and draw penalties by being disciplined. That's fine. I'm talking guys like Ruutu and Avery who are always trying to get under a guy's skin, and then dive as soon as they're touched. Sure, you get a powerplay, but there's no honor in playing like that.

Really haven't seen Kaleta play so no idea what category he falls into.

Kaleta is no Avery or Ruutu. Just curious, are you oppose to the idea of "fighting", or just dirty players like an Ruutu or Avery?

Sabres lost tonight's game in the SO. They were down 2-0, before climbing back to tie it late. Vanek scores his 7th goal on the season (leading the league), and has atleast one goal in all of first five games.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-19-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #221
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Oilers still haven't lost and once again it was a flurry in the 2nd period that sealed the win. Down 2-0 in the second period, newly acquired tough guy, Steve MacIntyre, goes out and crushes the Flames' hotshot rookie, Dustin Boyd (clean hit) and then was jumped. He wins that little bout and the crowd is fired up. A few minutes later, the Oilers score 3 goals in 4 minutes and that was that.

Fun to be an Oilers' fan right now...not like being a Devil Rays' fan, that's for sure!!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #222
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sluggish start for the Sabres (Game is on VS).
Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #223
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Two reports per TSN-

NHL officials discussing the idea of a 2nd team in Toronto-- either an expansion team or relocating an exisiting team. (Oops, didn't see Detox's thread on this)

And, the Wild have already begun shopping Marian Gaborik, who is a UFA at the end of the season.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 10-21-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #224
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Do you think the Pens make a run at him given what Hossa did last season?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #225
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Two reports per TSN-

NHL officials discussing the idea of a 2nd team in Toronto-- either an expansion team or relocating an exisiting team. (Oops, didn't see Detox's thread on this)

And, the Wild have already begun shopping Marian Gaborik, who is a UFA at the end of the season.

They need a first team don't they?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #226
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
They need a first team don't they?

... on being the 1,000,000th person to make this exact joke today.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #227
RendeR
Coordinator

OOOH ballooons, I love balloons
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #228
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Leafs pulled Toskala for the shootout tonight, putting in Joseph cold from the bench. Didn't work, they lost their third shootout of the season.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #229
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres took a 3-2 win in the SO.

I hate the idea of expansion when you have a handful teams that are floundering.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #230
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Leafs pulled Toskala for the shootout tonight, putting in Joseph cold from the bench. Didn't work, they lost their third shootout of the season.

Hey, we gave you a point. What more do you want?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #231
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hey, we gave you a point. What more do you want?
WE DON'T WANT POINTS THIS YEAR!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #232
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Do you think the Pens make a run at him given what Hossa did last season?

The Pens are allegedly one of the team interested, but I think it's a stretch at this point.

1) He turned down $85M/10 years from Minnesota. What are the chances he re-signs here?
2) Given that, how do you give up another decent prospect and 1st round pick (probably what it's going to cost) for a few months of him
3) Even this season, he's at $6.3M against the cap, not sure how they fit that once Gonch and Whitney return.
4) He'd be hurt on the plan from Minnesota to Pittsburgh.

So the answer is....sure why the hell not.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #233
General Mike
Pro Starter

Joe Thornton is the best all-around player in the league. [/fact]
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #234
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If you put during the regular season, I might agree with that statement.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #235
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

that has to work wonders for Toskala's confidence
Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #236
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Joe Thornton is one of the best all-around players in the league. [/fact]

Fixed that for ya.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #237
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

He's one of the best but not the best.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #238
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
that has to work wonders for Toskala's confidence

Confidence??...You know he plays for the Leafs right??

But seriously....Toskala,Joseph and Wilson discussed this move a few days before it happened.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #239
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gaborik is going to Vancouver to play with his BFF Demitra.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #240
Galaxy
Coordinator

Craig Rivet is out for at least 2 weeks after having knee surgery today??????????
Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #241
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Sadly, I've watched very little hockey this year so far. I think it's because I haven't bought the NHL Center Ice package. The reason I haven't bought it is because I don't think Comcast in my area shows any of the games in HD. Has anyone tried buying the online package? I think it's called NHL Gamecenter or something? I have a pretty strong broadband connection, and I can pay for it monthly instead of having to pay for the whole season at once. Does anyone here know if the online service is any good?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #242
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

I just spit my coffee all over my Hank Zetterberg jersey.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #243
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Sadly, I've watched very little hockey this year so far. I think it's because I haven't bought the NHL Center Ice package. The reason I haven't bought it is because I don't think Comcast in my area shows any of the games in HD. Has anyone tried buying the online package? I think it's called NHL Gamecenter or something? I have a pretty strong broadband connection, and I can pay for it monthly instead of having to pay for the whole season at once. Does anyone here know if the online service is any good?

Colin White is on pace to be a +65.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #244
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
But seriously....Toskala,Joseph and Wilson discussed this move a few days before it happened.
Sure, but what's Toskala supposed to say?

Nice of Wilson to give him a heads up, but the fact that Toskala OK'ed it before hand doesn't mean much.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #245
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Gaborik is going to Vancouver to play with his BFF Demitra.

Was he traded? I read this and looked on TSN and NHL.com and didn't see anything.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #246
DeToxRox
Head Coach

He signed a 2 year deal this summer.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #247
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Was he traded? I read this and looked on TSN and NHL.com and didn't see anything.

No. It was just a play on their dude love for each other.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #248
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

Oh you mean Gaborik? He hasn't been dealt yet but they're shopping him. During the Wings/Canucks game they were discussing how Gaborik seems to want to play with the Canucks because of Demitra.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #249
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sure, but what's Toskala supposed to say?

Nice of Wilson to give him a heads up, but the fact that Toskala OK'ed it before hand doesn't mean much.

Just pointing out the fact that it did'nt just come out of the blue.The stats backed up what Wilson did.I guess you could liken it to the whole lefty/righty thing in baseball.

The team is shit in shoot outs...why not try something relativly unconventional?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #250
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Just pointing out the fact that it did'nt just come out of the blue.The stats backed up what Wilson did.I guess you could liken it to the whole lefty/righty thing in baseball.

The team is shit in shoot outs...why not try something relativly unconventional?

Remarkably, the Red Wings have a history of being equally shitty, despite being able to throw out guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. It's one of those things I guess. Befuddling though.