Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #401
Galaxy
Coordinator

Hopefully the Sabres can re-group against an Alexander-the-great-less Capitals tonight.

Ruff got on the team pretty good, with a 30-minute closed-door meeting before practice, and a pretty intense practice yesterday. Ruff barks after team plays without bite : Sports : The Buffalo News

I see Lindy is changing the lines:

Kotalik-Roy-Vanek
MacArthur-Connolly (who will return tonight)-Pominville
Paille-Gaustad-Kaleta
Stafford-Mair-Max

Weber got sent back down to Portland.

A dumb question, but what's a bag skate?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-01-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #402
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
A dumb question, but what's a bag skate?

I'll confess I didn't know this one either.
"bag skate" definition from Double-Tongued Dictionary

Looks like at least two possible origins of the term, both meaning basically the same thing. One is where the pucks stay "in the bag" and the players are basically run ragged with skating drills & such, usually as a form of punishment for disinterested play. The other is the same sort of practice but so named because it goes until the players are exhausted or "bagged".
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #403
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres are 4-0 over Washington after 2. Vanek continues to add to his lead-leading goal count with two already.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #404
RendeR
Coordinator

Sabres are looking sharper but they really need to work on puck control. Their ability to receive passes has been horrific lately. Much better defenswive push as well. two defensemen down low behind the net with a forward covering the front of the net is much better than the "where'd they go?" style o denfense they played the last couple games.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #405
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Wow...hope someone else here just saw the Ference hit on Ott in the Bruins - Stars game.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #406
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

dola

It wasn't quite as sweet seeing it again, but still a great open ice hit.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #407
Pyser
Pro Rookie

and now brodeur has left the devils game with an injury. this injury streak is nuts.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #408
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres took a 5-0 win tonight.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #409
samifan24
Pro Starter

I had to work last night and missed the Bruins-Stars game but knew something was up when I saw the boxscore full of fights and Savard with a misconduct.

I just watched an eight minute clip from the action last night on Youtube. Steve Ott is gutless. He's out there hitting low and then won't drop the gloves when Hnidy challenged him. Avery was running around cheap shotting everybody, too. Hey, nice little pair they got down there in Dallas. I also blame the refs for letting things get so bad late in that game.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #410
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rick DiPietro's 15 year deal is looking awesome right now. He's doing it right by playing in 30 games a season to make sure he's ready for those last five seasons.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #411
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Rick DiPietro's 15 year deal is looking awesome right now. He's doing it right by playing in 30 games a season to make sure he's ready for those last five seasons.

i still think it looks good. i mean, look at all the 7 yr, 49m deals being handed out lately...
Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #412
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i still think it looks good. i mean, look at all the 7 yr, 49m deals being handed out lately...

Money wise it isn't bad .. Too bad DiPietro has bad knees and a bad hip.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #413
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Weird game between Toronto and Carolina tonight which the Canes finally pulled out to salvage a brief back-to-back homestand (lost last night to Edmonton in Erik Cole's return to Raleigh). For almost two periods, Toronto seemed to be the dominant team as they pretty much muscled Carolina off the puck at will and generally had the Canes on their heels. #2 goalie Michael Leighton was in nets and wasn't playing very well at all. However, Carolina closed the second with a three-goal flurry to turn a 3-1 deficit into a 4-3 lead and then hung on for a 6-4 win. The normally anemic power play actually came through for once with a 3-for-6 effort (though the third one only counts in name only as it was an empty-netter at the end). Still, it feels like this team is playing with fire a bit too much right now.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #414
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Sabres are looking sharper but they really need to work on puck control. Their ability to receive passes has been horrific lately. Much better defenswive push as well. two defensemen down low behind the net with a forward covering the front of the net is much better than the "where'd they go?" style o denfense they played the last couple games.

I agree on the puck control. Hopefully the fix it, and carry over the effort from Saturday over tomorrow at New Jersey (Marty is not playing in net for the Devils.We seem to keep miss playing the top goalies this year so far). I think Rivet and Hecht will be back for Friday's game. It'll get interesting to see what Lindy will do with the lineups/scratches.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-02-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #415
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Been an interesting week in Anaheim for the NHL. Surprised no one commented on Friday's game.

Wednesday, the Ducks took an exciting overtime game from the Wings, ending their streak, 5-4. Teemu got his 21st hat trick, which the active leader, and is now tied with Guy LaFleur on the all time goal scoring list with 550.

Then on Friday, the Ducks went up two on the Canucks, then allowed five straight goals, and then tied it up with three straight of their own--before the end of the second period!

This one went to 6-6 (Perry getting the game-tier with a minute to go) and a shootout--which took 13 rounds to finish before the Canucks finally won it.

Then tonight, they beat the Flames, 3-2, that should have been easier than it ended up being. This snapped the Flames' six game win streak.

Ducks have a seven game point streak going. Getzlaf got five points in Wednesday's game, and Perry five in Friday's; the first time two teammates have gotten that many points in consecutive games since Montreal in 1998 (Damphousse was one, forget the other). Getzlaf has a seven game point streak, and Perry and Teemu six.

Obviously, we'll ride this as long as it lasts.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-02-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #416
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

go figure, I can finaly watch a Devils game on Vs and Brodeur will probably sit out.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #417
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I had to work last night and missed the Bruins-Stars game but knew something was up when I saw the boxscore full of fights and Savard with a misconduct.

I just watched an eight minute clip from the action last night on Youtube. Steve Ott is gutless. He's out there hitting low and then won't drop the gloves when Hnidy challenged him. Avery was running around cheap shotting everybody, too. Hey, nice little pair they got down there in Dallas. I also blame the refs for letting things get so bad late in that game.

I watch the clip. Ott is taking cheap shots at guys who don't even have the puck (or just passed it). At least Avery stepped up and dropped his gloves.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #418
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres get their captain back in Rivet!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #419
RendeR
Coordinator

LETS GO SABRES!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #420
RendeR
Coordinator

I just scared the shit out of 6 students when I screamed that out loud.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #421
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

PING Chief Rum

Where the hell was I...when did Bret Hedican end up in Anaheim??

Is this recent? I am guessing sometime after moving Schneider?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #422
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I just scared the shit out of 6 students when I screamed that out loud.

LOL!

It worked against the Wild at the bar.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #423
Galaxy
Coordinator

Millers get the first back-to-back shutout in five years in the NHL. 2-0 win.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #424
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Millers get the first back-to-back shutout in five years in the NHL. 2-0 win.

Do you mean in Sabres history? Tim Thomas just had back to back shutouts for Boston last week.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #425
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you mean in Sabres history? Tim Thomas just had back to back shutouts for Boston last week.

Maybe I misheard the VS commentators.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #426
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Maybe I misheard the VS commentators.

I'll agree that shutouts do seem rare in the post lockout NHL!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #427
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
PING Chief Rum

Where the hell was I...when did Bret Hedican end up in Anaheim??

Is this recent? I am guessing sometime after moving Schneider?

Yup, you got it. The Schneider deal was about a week before the start of the season, and the Hedican signing was maybe 2-3 games in. Obviously, the Ducks didn't have a ton of confidence in the 4-6 blueliners' abilities to generate offense (after Nieds, Pronger, and Beauch), so they wanted to add another fairly competent point man.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:21 AM   #428
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hedican was just out there, BTW, casualty of the sal cap. It's the one thing about the cap I don't like--it can keep good players off of rosters they should be on (Shanahan, for instance, or Bobby Ryan having to play at AHL again, even though he would probably be a star on our second line right now).

Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #429
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeah, it was the first back-to-backer for Buffalo in five years - Marty Biron did it last (three shutouts in a row IIRC).
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #430
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur is scheduled to undergo elbow surgery Thursday and will be out three to four months, the team announced.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #431
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Yeah, it was the first back-to-backer for Buffalo in five years - Marty Biron did it last (three shutouts in a row IIRC).

I must of thought they said Marty Brodeur. I tend to tune out the announces on VS because they suck.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #432
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur is scheduled to undergo elbow surgery Thursday and will be out three to four months, the team announced.
Oh. Fuck.

Quote:
I must of thought they said Marty Brodeur. I tend to tune out the announces on VS because they suck.
DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT DOC
Old 11-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #433
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT DOC

He still wears women's glasses.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #434
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
He still wears women's glasses.
DAMMIT SAK DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE
Old 11-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #435
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the curse of martys mask continues...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #436
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
DAMMIT SAK DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE

He has a pearly string that attaches in the back! He isn't Doc Emrick...he's Grandma Emrick.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #437
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Might the Devils acquire one Manny Fernandez to fill their void in goal? We shall see...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #438
Pyser
Pro Rookie

nope. weekes is the guy, maybe theyll get a backup to challenge clemmensen at best, i think
Old 11-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #439
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

brutal, he was so close to some big records.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #440
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
nope. weekes is the guy, maybe theyll get a backup to challenge clemmensen at best, i think

Nonono, you don't understand, they *really* need Dwayne Roloson.

Desperately even.

We'd only want the Devils to cover his airfare to get him there.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #441
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Nonono, you don't understand, they *really* need Dwayne Roloson.

Desperately even.

We'd only want the Devils to cover his airfare to get him there.

Yeah, what's the deal with the goalies up there in Edmonton? They have Garon, ok, he's fine as a starter, I guess. Then they have the kid with the really long name, the rookie, and supposedly they want him to play but can't send him down to the AHL or they risk losing him on waivers. Oh, and they also have Dwayne Roloson, why? Why is he there?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #442
Hurst2112
College Starter

those are chick's glasses. lol

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 11-04-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #443
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, what's the deal with the goalies up there in Edmonton? They have Garon, ok, he's fine as a starter, I guess. Then they have the kid with the really long name, the rookie, and supposedly they want him to play but can't send him down to the AHL or they risk losing him on waivers. Oh, and they also have Dwayne Roloson, why? Why is he there?

Garon: Great pedigree when he was drafted, never seemed to live up to the hype. Was given some leash here last year and played *really* well. Then he had a hiccup and MacT went right back to Roli (who's one of MacT's boys). Could be the future goalie of the team (for 3-5 years at least) and is in a contract year. One would think they'd sink or swim with him this year to see what he's got to see if he's worth investing a big contract on.

Roloson: Got a stupid contract following the Cup run because everybody had a big hard on for him. People seemed to forget that he didn't play well down the stretch and the only reason the Oilers got into the playoffs that season was because Vancouver sucked worse than we did. He did play well in the playoffs but his numbers were inflated because of the system they were playing (tons of shots from the outside plus we had a really good defensive group at the time). Horrible at giving up rebounds or playing consistently well for a prolonged period of time, his contract is up after this season as well.

Deslauriers: Young kid they drafted fairly high who's been jerked around in the system. Oilers have another youngster (Dubnyk) who's getting the majority of the starts in the AHL this season (now that the Oilers have a farm team of their own) so not only could they lose Deslauriers if they tried to send him down, it'd just muddy up the goaltending situation there. Deslauriers played quite well in the A last year and is a big bodied guy who has potential.

Going into the season I was hoping for a 60-22 type split between Garon/Deslauriers to really test Garon and to give us an idea of what Deslauriers could do at the NHL level. Unfortunately we're not abusing the deep pockets of our new owner (I'm all for putting Roli through waivers, and if he clears, then buying out his contract) and instead apparently trying to increase the trade value of an old, overpaid backup. A hot streak isn't going to change any of those aspects, but I suppose there may be a GM or two that might see a decent string and decide to give us a pick for him, but in the end he's one of MacT's guys and that's why he already has 4 starts this season after Garon stole 2 of the first 4 games for the team then had a hiccup in a couple starts. MacT has never been a guy to ride a goalie through a tough stretch and let them play their way out of it unless it's one of his boys which apparently Garon just isn't yet.

I'm hoping that Roli is out of here before the new year so that there's at least a good portion of the season to find out if Garon or Deslauriers is indeed our goalie of the future or just a pair of backups. Be great to make the playoffs and a deep drive this season, but this isn't the sort of question you want an ambiguous answer to, so better to take the potential bad side now so they know exactly where they stand come the offseason.

11 games into the season the only question answered (again) is which goalie MacTavish likes best and it's the one that won't do the franchise a bit of good after this season.

So long rant short, Roli is still here (imho) because of MacT and the old boys club and their "respect" for him.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #444
MikeVic
Head Coach

Gloria Vanderbilt collection.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #445
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pumpy is going to be one pissed off Canadian when he see all of this!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #446
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sigh. You'd think I was in pretty good fantasy shape with a combo of Miller & Brodeur in goal.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #447
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Aww, what a shame.

(did the requisite amount of time pass?)

(did I appear sincere?)

(can't hold it in...must...burst...out...)

HAHAHAHAHA GO FUCK YOURSELF MARTY. Still crying you whiny bitch? Nice to see your right arm is still okay so you can shake people's hands. Oh wait...

(I know it's bad to wish injury on anyone, and I'm not really a bad person, but I will never get over the lack of class he displayed last spring, so sue me)

Apologies to Pumpy.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #448
MikeVic
Head Coach

I saw Mike Richter blowing Brian Leetch.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #449
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #450
MikeVic
Head Coach

Who's that?