Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #151
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
2 final fours, 1 title where it matters. I'm quite fine with it.

Yeah, YOU are. I made the wrong choice there. Let's see what would have happened to a KU fan.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-21-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #152
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
That's a completely different situation.

How? It's a flaw that could have, and probably did, hurt the performance of his teams.

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Michigan fans who bitched about Lloyd Carr were laughed at; LSU fans who have compared Les Miles to Larry Coker are ridiculed.

Michigan fans were right to criticize Carr. He made plenty of mistakes, and was never on the level of Schembechler. Is he a very good coach? Yes. That doesn't mean he's above criticism. UM fans had every right to take him to task for his faults.

Your second example is a poor one, a worse example than you suggest mine was with Knight. That's comparing two completely different coaches, and Coker largely sucked. That would be like me comparing Howland to John Jay. Any fan doing that would rightly be lampooned.

But that's apples and oranges. No one's talking about comparison. What we're talking about is how you want to take away my right to be critical about the flaws of the team I follow.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #153
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
What we're talking about is how you want to take away my right to be critical about the flaws of the team I follow.

You can be as critical of Howland as you want, I'm just pointing out that to fans of other schools it comes across as demented.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #154
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can be as critical of Howland as you want, I'm just pointing out that to fans of other schools it comes across as demented.

Well, that's a them issue. Unfortunately, people didn't look inward or look logically at the problem, but instead attacked Bug and me.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that to fans of other schools it comes across as demented.

Maybe to some, but definitely not to all.

Hell, GT is a long way from being in the plane of Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and such but even I didn't think there was anything unjustified about the observation here.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #156
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm not sure what the big deal is? Howland has done wonders to the UCLA program, but as Chief said, he's not without criticism. I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the nation, not even Roy. Ben Howland and the Shipp's might be the only people in the world who think Josh Shipp was helping UCLA win yesterday. If it's painfully obvious to a guy like me (who sucks at basketball), I can't understand the desire to give him more minutes? I'd take Ryan Walcott over Josh Shipp right now (There is a reference for you Chiefy)
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #157
st.cronin
General Manager

Well I think Bo Ryan is awesome. That is all.

knives out
Old 11-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #158
st.cronin
General Manager

dola, Mike Eaves is pretty bad ass too. The jury is still out on Bret Bielema. If it weren't for that tattoo, I'd like him a lot more.

knives out
Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 AM   #159
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'm not sure what the big deal is? Howland has done wonders to the UCLA program, but as Chief said, he's not without criticism. I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the nation, not even Roy. Ben Howland and the Shipp's might be the only people in the world who think Josh Shipp was helping UCLA win yesterday. If it's painfully obvious to a guy like me (who sucks at basketball), I can't understand the desire to give him more minutes? I'd take Ryan Walcott over Josh Shipp right now (There is a reference for you Chiefy)

Wow, that's a ref I wasn't expecting.

Not sure I would go that far, either, lol. But yeah, Shipp should be better by now than he has become.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #160
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If it weren't for that tattoo, I'd like him a lot more.

Well, I guess we'd never get along too well. C'est la vie.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia Tech in the process of trailing all day & possibly losing to Mercer. A 25-9 run has pulled them back to within 67-65 after trailing by 18 in the second half. 2:45 left

edit to add: And no, I don't care if Mercer does already have wins over Alabama & Auburn this season.

edit 2x: Headed to overtime as we miraculously manage to hit a pair of FT's to tie it at 69 and then deflect Mercer's last shot attempt. GT just 10-23 from the line today.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-22-2008 at 02:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT wins it 82-76 in overtime. Still a sorry performance for much of the day.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #163
MJ4H
Coordinator

Subscribed to the Arkansas official pay service for online content called "Razorvision" just to watch tonight's game. Quality is pretty good and it is only $10 a month so I might keep it. Either way I've got a month to watch the live broadcasts and on-demand archives of stuff that they already broadcast this year.

Tonight's game is at Missouri State. They are debuting their new John Q. Hammond stadium tonight, so they may be pretty emotionally charged, making it a scary game. Same way I am with the football team this year, though, I'm not terribly concerned with wins and losses, but good coaching and improvement. Going to be a long way back from the damage done to our athletics program by the Broyles senile years, so I'm pretty patient.

I guess I'll report back on the game soon. About to tip now.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #164
MJ4H
Coordinator

One of the worst halves of basketball I've ever seen. I've seen some bad basketball by Razorback teams in the last 14 years, believe me, but that was among the worst. I can handle losing to a bad team playing over their heads on an emotional night. What I can't handle is getting blown out by a bad team that is playing badly. I mean, Missouri State looks terrible and it took us scoring the last 4 points of the half to get back within single digits.

Halftime score: Missouri State 28, Arkansas 20.

TWENTY.

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-22-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #165
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson hangs on to beat Charlotte (they will always be UNCC to me) by 1.

A bit sloppy but Bobby Lutz has had our number. I am really surprised he hasnt moved into a major D1 job.

5-0. Cant complain
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
5-0. Cant complain

What's the conference after today? Something like 37-1 I think.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #167
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What's the conference after today? Something like 37-1 I think.

37-2, boston college lost to saint louis tonight in addition to the va tech loss last night.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #168
MJ4H
Coordinator

Came back and actually took the lead before reverting back to sucking. I shut it down with Arkansas down by 4 and without the ball with less than 10 seconds to go. As much as I could stomach to watch.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #169
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
37-2, boston college lost to saint louis tonight in addition to the va tech loss last night.

Va Tech lost to.... Xavier.

A10 reprazent.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #170
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

ACC V Big Ten Challenge should be fun this year....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #171
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really happy to see Mizzou knock off a ranked team yesterday. Was also pretty impressed to see the Xavier team that Mizzou and Virginia Tech both should have been manage to pull the upset of Memphis. Bad day for ranked teams in Puerto Rico.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #172
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For those that were not aware, the College Basketball Hall of Fame inductions happened yesterday. Great to see and hear some of these great coaches, players, and personalities talk about their college basketball experiences. Jim Phelan was wonderful and it was nice to see a lot of the Arkansas people show up for Nolan Richardson's induction.......

Nolan Richardson

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/906034.html

Jim Phelan

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/906029.html

Charles Barkley

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/906058.html

Billy Packer

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/906042.html

Dick Vitale

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/906046.html

Danny Manning

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/906050.html

Arnie Ferrin

Arnie Ferrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #173
JeeberD
General Manager

A UNLV team that's on the cusp of breaking into the top 25 comes to El Paso tonight to take on the Miners. This is a big game for the Miners, it'll show how far we've come and how far we have yet to go. I honestly think the Miners can take this one and show that they're a legit team to contend with this year...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Seriously, is there a reason why Stephon Curry at Davidson shouldn't be considered one of the top 3 players in the country? He put up 39 last night. He's the focus of the defense in every single game and just puts the team on his shoulders and carries them. Better yet, he does it in the flow of the offense and gets his teammates involved. He's just an incredible player.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #175
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hell of a game between #8 Notre Dame and #6 Texas out at the Maui Invitational. The Irish eeked out an 81-80 win. AJ Abrams almost hit the miracle half court shot as time expired, but it bounced off the front of the rim.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:56 AM   #176
Radii
Head Coach

I saw the end of the irish/texas game, very entertaining. I'm very much looking forward to UNC/Notre Dame now.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #177
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh. Stephen Curry was held scoreless today in the Davidson-Loyola game, but that was because the other coach told his team to double team him all over the court, no matter what.

So Curry just stood in the corner with his two defenders on him, and the rest of his teammates had a four on three powerplay on offense.

Davidson won 78-48
Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #178
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Heh. Stephen Curry was held scoreless today in the Davidson-Loyola game, but that was because the other coach told his team to double team him all over the court, no matter what.

So Curry just stood in the corner with his two defenders on him, and the rest of his teammates had a four on three powerplay on offense.

Davidson won 78-48

LOL. Very interesting. I'm guessing that tactic won't be used in future matchups.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #179
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The coach was very proud, stating that Loyola was able to do something Oklahoma couldn't. and that ten years from now, people wouldn't remember the result of the game, but they would remember that they had kept Curry scoreless
Old 11-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #180
MJ4H
Coordinator

fail
Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #181
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas travels to Pelphrey's old stomping grounds to take on South Alabama tonight. Would be impressive to pull this one off on the road. At the first break it's 15-12 South Alabama. We seem to not defend three pointers this season.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #182
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Arkansas travels to Pelphrey's old stomping grounds to take on South Alabama tonight. Would be impressive to pull this one off on the road. At the first break it's 15-12 South Alabama. We seem to not defend three pointers this season.

A couple kids I played hockey with play for South Alabama. The Tabet twins, Philip and Charles. Two big boys out there. Not sure how often they play though.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #183
MJ4H
Coordinator

Philip just fouled Montrell McDonald so he's in. 30-26 Arkansas with 8 and change to go in the first half, btw.

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-26-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
A couple kids I played hockey with play for South Alabama. The Tabet twins, Philip and Charles. Two big boys out there. Not sure how often they play though.

Charles is a sophomore who has played in their two blowouts this year, 2 mins in one, 12 mins in the other. Averaging 2ppg & 5rpg.

Philip is a junior who has appeared in all of their games so far, averaging 6 minutes per game, 1.0ppg & 0.5 rpg.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #185
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Charles is a sophomore who has played in their two blowouts this year, 2 mins in one, 12 mins in the other. Averaging 2ppg & 5rpg.

Averaging 5 rebounds a game in just 14 minutes total play?

That's impressive.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #186
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Philip is a junior who has appeared in all of their games so far, averaging 6 minutes per game, 1.0ppg & 0.5 rpg.

Thanks for the heads up. They quit hockey when every time they hit someone it was an elbowing penalty. Some fucking towers there.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Averaging 5 rebounds a game in just 14 minutes total play?That's impressive.

Yep. Credited with 9 rebounds in just 12 minutes of action in their 93-64 win over Florida A&M.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #188
MJ4H
Coordinator

Perimeter defense completely optional tonight. Both teams shooting well over 50% from 3, South Alabama leads 45-44 at halftime.

8/12 for Arkansas on 3 pointers, I know S Alabama was 6/11 late in the half and I think they made another one and missed another one, so I'm guessing 7/13 for them. Missed what the announcer guy (who keeps saying Courtney Forston instead of Courtney Fortson argghh) was the correct stat for S Alabama, though.

Our threes seem to be wide open, but we are frequently contesting theirs. I hope they cool off on the contested ones in the second half, because they are making way too many of them. Fortson and Clarke aren't going to cool down on open treys, so if we keep getting them, hopefully that will be the difference.

Clarke made 76 three pointers in a row once in an exhibition in high school.

edit: halftime graphic shows 6/14 from three for S Alabama. Whatever. Liars.

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-26-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #189
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, YOU are. I made the wrong choice there. Let's see what would have happened to a KU fan.

Hey, how'd we get drug into this conversation?

Seriously, tho. I know a lot of KU fans critical of Roy and how "soft" his teams always were. But all teams have their strengths and weaknesses and winning the title or even making the Final Four requires a massive dose of luck.

Frankly, Roy was unlucky at KU more than anything, with not winning it all with some of the teams he had. That "maligned" offense that lost to Syracuse in the title game was the same one that jumped out on a 27-6 run early in a Final Four game and completely dismantled a good Marquette team by 33- best half of basketball I think I've ever seen.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-26-2008 at 09:19 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #190
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas gets a 3 from Stefan Welsh to take a 2 point lead with 3 seconds to go. Currently shooting free throws. Just went final 79-77 Arkansas win.

Welsh went nuts tonight. Complete ball hog, had probably twice as many shots as anyone else. Had a career high 24 points, but was just launching it any time he had a shot. Made up for it a bit with the 3 at the end for the win, but somewhat concerning.

Big win, showed a lot of fight.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Welsh went nuts tonight. Complete ball hog, had probably twice as many shots as anyone else.

Try more than twice as many. 24, to next high Fortson 11 and Clarke 10.
Then again, he was also second on the team in assists with 4 (to Fortson's 5).
Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #192
MJ4H
Coordinator

And Fortson outscored Welsh. I don't know what the heck that was, but it needs to be ratcheted back about 10 notches for the future. I appreciate the big shot at the end, but christ, pass up a shot now and then.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #193
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
And Fortson outscored Welsh. I don't know what the heck that was, but it needs to be ratcheted back about 10 notches for the future. I appreciate the big shot at the end, but christ, pass up a shot now and then.

Did Henry get many minutes?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hansbrough & UNC trying to pull away from the Irish now, up by 15 with 15 minutes to play.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #195
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Did Henry get many minutes?

Henry is suspended indefinitely. Apparently nothing major, but several smaller things and Pelphrey drew the line.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #196
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Henry is suspended indefinitely. Apparently nothing major, but several smaller things and Pelphrey drew the line.

Doh! Thanks.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

McAlerney hits 10 threes & finishes with 39 for Notre Dame but it was far far too little as UNC wins going away in Maui 102-87.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #198
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The coach was very proud, stating that Loyola was able to do something Oklahoma couldn't. and that ten years from now, people wouldn't remember the result of the game, but they would remember that they had kept Curry scoreless

Certainly another factor in why a kid might choose to go pro
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #199
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
McAlerney hits 10 threes & finishes with 39 for Notre Dame but it was far far too little as UNC wins going away in Maui 102-87.

That kid can shoot, with him and Harengody the Irish are going to be in the top 10 most of the season I assume.

I'm obviously thrilled with how UNC played, I remain incredibly happy with the play of the 'other' big men, Deon Thompson and freshman Ed Davis. Hansbrough's 34 is of course nice to see.

There will be another hopefully great matchup during the ACC - Big 10 Challenge next week with UNC hosting Michigan State.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #200
JeeberDMack
Mascot

Miners go to Anaheim and come out with a 13 point win against St Mary's in the first round of the 76 Classic. They managed to hold on to their double digit first half lead, something they weren't able to do Monday against UNLV. Looks like we're probably taking on Wake Forest tomorrow in the second round...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote