Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #2051
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

What does suspending players have to do with recruiting character players? You suggested in your previous statement that Mike Anderson only recruited character players at the expense of winning. Are you now backing off that claim? Are you now suggesting that Mike Anderson does in fact recruit players that every other coach recruits so that he can field a competitive basketball team at MU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
All the players you listed were suspended for multiple games during Big 12 play (MU actually played with 6 players against Nebraska) or they (Grimes, Butterfield, Hannah) were booted from the program. I won't hold my breath that Bill Self will hand down any of those kinds of punishments.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #2052
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Emmanuel Negedu of Tennessee Volunteers hospitalized after collapsing at university sports facility - ESPN

Tennessee sophomore forward Emmanuel Negedu remained hospitalized Tuesday after collapsing at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex on Monday afternoon.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that Negedu didn't have a pulse when he was revived with a defibrillator on site by members of Tennessee's athletic training staff shortly after 4 p.m. ET. The newspaper reported that according to a source, Negedu was conscious when EMTs arrived.

Late Monday, Tennessee associate athletic trainer Chad Newman said Negedu was transported by ambulance from the sports complex to the UT Medical Center. Negedu was listed in stable condition.

Tennessee spokesman Thomas Satkowiak said Tuesday that the school hoped to have a further detailed statement on Negedu's condition later in the day. Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl was recruiting on Tuesday.

According to the News Sentinel, Pearl said Monday night, "We'd like to thank everyone for their concern and support. We ask you to keep Emmanuel in your prayers."

Negedu worked out Monday morning, went to class and then returned for a light weight room upper-body session in the afternoon. He didn't complain of any pain or show any signs he was in duress, according to the report.

Negedu, who is from Nigeria and was originally slated to go to Arizona before Lute Olson took a leave of absence and then retired, played in 33 games as a freshman and averaged 7.2 minutes and 1.9 points per game. The 6-7, 218-pound Negedu was expected to be a part of the Vols' frontcourt rotation this season.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #2053
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yet another case where an on-site defibrillator may end up saving a life that would have otherwise been lost. Putting those things on site at most colleges and high schools was one of the best decisions these programs have ever made.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #2054
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More problems in the KU basketball program. Brady Morningstar arrested for DWI.

KU guard Morningstar arrested on suspicion of DWI / LJWorld.com

Also, a friend of the Morris brothers was arrested in conjunction with the football-basketball brawls. Investigation continues on to see if any further charges should be filed.

Amazingly, most KU fans are not defending the actions of the players at this point. It's a pretty embarrassing situation for the university and the alumni. I'm guessing that team rules are going to be enforced pretty heavily moving forward.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #2055
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Obsess much?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #2056
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Obsess much?

You'd have to tell me. You're one of the few beakers that I've seen that has actually felt the need to defend this kind of behavior from your players or minimize its impact. When a university has a large portion of its basketball and football (and other sports programs as we've also found out) creating situations that are detrimental to the university, it's a big deal.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #2057
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm just curious.. what does this have to do with the 2008-2009 basketball season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #2058
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Who said I was defending anyone? I just find it interesting you don't see others fans posting every MU mess (MU cellphones) yet you're obsessed with pointing out everyone else's faults. You pulled this same garbage with Memphis and now you're back to obsessing with KU. It's just weird that you spend so much time filled with hate.

PS: I noticed you never answered my previous question regarding Mike Anderson's recruiting of "character" players. Nice of you to make unfounded claims that aren't supported by any facts whatsoever. You seem to do a lot of that.

Quote:
You'd have to tell me. You're one of the few beakers that I've seen that has actually felt the need to defend this kind of behavior from your players or minimize its impact. When a university has a large portion of its basketball and football (and other sports programs as we've also found out) creating situations that are detrimental to the university, it's a big deal.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #2059
Radii
Head Coach

I actually find the Kansas story fascinating, its just a shame that MBBF was the one to post about it, negating any possible chance of legitimate discussion on the topic ever occurring on this forum.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #2060
Swaggs
Coordinator

I posted this over at FOFC-FBCB, but thought I'd share here, as well...

This is odd and I just found out, but one of my friends and graduating classmates from high school was just named men's head coach at Army (only 33-years old):

Army Hires Spiker As New Basketball Coach | AHN
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #2061
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I actually find the Kansas story fascinating, its just a shame that MBBF was the one to post about it, negating any possible chance of legitimate discussion on the topic ever occurring on this forum.

Pretty accurate. It's more about me than anything regarding meanstrosity. As the head coaches and the AD have already stated, it's a very embarrassing situation for the university. The fact that those same administrators were covering up this kind of behavior in the past only makes it worse.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #2062
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I posted this over at FOFC-FBCB, but thought I'd share here, as well...

This is odd and I just found out, but one of my friends and graduating classmates from high school was just named men's head coach at Army (only 33-years old):

Army Hires Spiker As New Basketball Coach | AHN

It's also weird that the last Army coach was fired for verbal abuse.....The military is getting soft.

Last edited by molson : 10-04-2009 at 08:56 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #2063
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's also weird that the last Army coach was fired for verbal abuse.....The military is getting soft.

Yeah, at an institution famed more for verbal abuse than anything, that is shocking. I had seen the Crews getting fired story last week, and thought it was very odd, but verbal abuse is kind of stunning.

Especially since he was not even supposed to be coaching them at the time?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #2064
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Yeah, at an institution famed more for verbal abuse than anything, that is shocking. I had seen the Crews getting fired story last week, and thought it was very odd, but verbal abuse is kind of stunning.

Especially since he was not even supposed to be coaching them at the time?

They can do 'individual workouts' with the players in the time leading up to the official start of practice. They can hold a workout session with one coach and he can have no more than 4 players in the workout. Basically, it allows for drills to improve individual skills, but doesn't allow 5 or more players to avoid any work on running plays or actual scrimmages.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #2065
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

If you were truly interested in discussion then you would have explained your "Mike Anderson only recruits character kids at the cost of wins" after I debunked that myth with examples of players Mike Anderson recruited getting in legal trouble. Instead you ignored it. That's not the definition of a discussion.

Radii is correct that there should be a legit discussion regarding the argument between the two programs at KU. He's also correct that you posting it ruins the discussion simply because you're using it to flame away at a program. You're simply not interested in discussing the topic rationally. I've seen you do this in numerous threads regarding other schools. The next time you discuss something about college athletics will be the first time.

Oh and where's your proof that the administration was covering up this issue? Every comment I've seen is that the administration was unaware of this situation. Do you honestly believe guys like Bill Self or Lew Perkins would allow this kind of activity going on if they knew about it? How would you like it if someone posted that Mike Anderson knew his son would drink and drive and just covered it up without offering any ounce of proof to that argument. That's what you're suggesting and it's ridiculous.

Quote:
Pretty accurate. It's more about me than anything regarding meanstrosity. As the head coaches and the AD have already stated, it's a very embarrassing situation for the university. The fact that those same administrators were covering up this kind of behavior in the past only makes it worse.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 10-05-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #2066
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh and where's your proof that the administration was covering up this issue? Every comment I've seen is that the administration was unaware of this situation. Do you honestly believe guys like Bill Self or Lew Perkins would allow this kind of activity going on if they knew about it? How would you like it if someone posted that Mike Anderson knew his son would drink and drive and just covered it up without offering any ounce of proof to that argument. That's what you're suggesting and it's ridiculous.

I'll speak slowly for you. There have been fights between the two programs for five years now as mentione by former players on both teams. Previous incidents were kept internal to avoid a major flame up.

Your comparison argument doesn't make a lick of sense. It doesn't have any relevance nor is it even comparable to what's being discussed. I appreciate your loyalty to your favorite team, but what's happened at KU is indefensible. Just admit it and move on.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #2067
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you honestly believe guys like Bill Self or Lew Perkins would allow this kind of activity going on if they knew about it?

Well, since you asked the question ....

Quote:
“keep my name out ya’ mouth for you get smacked in it,” he wrote at 11:12 a.m. Tuesday, and 30 minutes later he posted, “never get outta character .. I’m always a G about it.”

About 4 p.m., Taylor posted, “(racial slur)s be muggin me ..you know I’m mugging back.”

If that's what passes for a "student-athlete" at KU and he isn't back on the street where he clearly belongs as quick as they can process the paperwork then I don't really believe Self nor Perkins gives much of a flying fuck about anything other than wins. If they did, they'd be trying to shed themselves of a piece of crap whose proud that he's "always a G about it".

Mind you that doesn't make them any different than a shitload of other football & basketball programs in the country, but it's pretty hard to defend anyone who puts up with it. I've got the same criticism for Tennessee signing a rapist to a scholarship, for Georgia Tech when Gailey played a freakin' dope dealer (the courts forced GT to let him back on the team, nobody forced Gailey to play his ass), and anybody else who ignores this sort of garbage just because a player runs or shoots well.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #2068
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

You do realize those facebook quotes are all lyrics from songs right? The person in question posts lyrics of songs as his facebook status. The one you're referring to is a Lil Wayne song if I recall correctly. So you have to take those messages in context. Here's a link below that explains the facebook quotes.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1467804-p2.html

And you're mistaken if you think Bill Self or Lew Perkins would be ok with their players getting into fights with other athletes at their school. Lew Perkins prides himself on creating a family atmosphere for the athletic department. This is not something he would turn a blind eye too. Ask anyone who knows Coach Self and they'll tell you he's not a happy coach right now with the way his players have behaved. Do coaches want to win? Certainly. But they also don't want to babysit these young men. Hence why guys like Giles and Giddens were removed from the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well, since you asked the question ....

If that's what passes for a "student-athlete" at KU and he isn't back on the street where he clearly belongs as quick as they can process the paperwork then I don't really believe Self nor Perkins gives much of a flying fuck about anything other than wins. If they did, they'd be trying to shed themselves of a piece of crap whose proud that he's "always a G about it".

Mind you that doesn't make them any different than a shitload of other football & basketball programs in the country, but it's pretty hard to defend anyone who puts up with it. I've got the same criticism for Tennessee signing a rapist to a scholarship, for Georgia Tech when Gailey played a freakin' dope dealer (the courts forced GT to let him back on the team, nobody forced Gailey to play his ass), and anybody else who ignores this sort of garbage just because a player runs or shoots well.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 10-06-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #2069
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Five years? Are you crazy? Heck Whitlock's article claimed it was two years and now you're blowing it up to five years? Seriously? The recent argument is over a girl who is a junior. So I highly doubt this has been going on for 5 years. I know where you're getting your "5 years" information and believe me when I say that Tom Keegan is not a journalist. He's an editor of the sports page. The guy is a clown who threw out the "5 years" during his first day of "investigating" the issue, lol. Unless the girl in question has been in school for five years I don't buy it.

What previous incidents were there? I guarantee you that if there were serious incidents then they would have been made public. It's not like KU is hidden away from the world where the media isn't allowed. They've got the KC Star and LJW near campus trying to break stories every day. I'm not going to suggest there hasn't been friction between student athletes. It's bound to happen when you're dealing with young kids from all over the country. I think most of us can all agree that at one point or another we had tussles in college. But the only thing to come from these "incidents" was Tyshawn Taylor's busted hand from throwing a punch. Heck the last time a Missouri basketball player got into a fight he had a college career ending injury (Hannah). So do I think this whole thing is overblown? Yes. It doesn't excuse these kids from making idiots of themselves though.

How does my comparison argument not work? Are you suggesting that Mike Anderson doesn't know that his son drinks and occasionally drives? If Mike Anderson isn't expected to know this information about his own son then how would you expect Lew Perkins or Bill Self to know the personal issues of a few athletes?

Quote:
I'll speak slowly for you. There have been fights between the two programs for five years now as mentione by former players on both teams. Previous incidents were kept internal to avoid a major flame up.

Your comparison argument doesn't make a lick of sense. It doesn't have any relevance nor is it even comparable to what's being discussed. I appreciate your loyalty to your favorite team, but what's happened at KU is indefensible. Just admit it and move on.