Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #401
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ghostbusters released for 360/PS3/Wii in North America and PS3 in Europe today. Anyone jumping on this one? Haven't seen much feedback thus far. Embargo was in place until today.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #402
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I really need to finish up a few games this week so I can trade them in on Red Faction.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #403
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I really need to finish up a few games this week so I can trade them in on Red Faction.

I bought that the other day at Target as part of the Buy 2, Get 1 deal. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but have heard good things.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #404
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Ghostbusters released for 360/PS3/Wii in North America and PS3 in Europe today. Anyone jumping on this one? Haven't seen much feedback thus far. Embargo was in place until today.

Picked it up for the 360, will post impressions later as I haven't had the chance to open it yet.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #405
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I bought that the other day at Target as part of the Buy 2, Get 1 deal. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but have heard good things.

Damn - there are several games I'm looking to get... that deal still going on?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #406
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Damn - there are several games I'm looking to get... that deal still going on?

I believe it ended on Saturday.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #407
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Early review of the Wii version.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game – Early Review | WiiNintendo
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #408
Tasan
College Starter

I'm installing the PC version of Ghostbusters right now. 10 gb install just so you know.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #409
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Let me know what you think. I still need to finish GOW (yes the original) and my second run through of Bioshock, then it's off to get GOW 2 and Red Faction.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #410
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I might rent Ghostbusters if reviews are good. Frankly though once Fight Night comes out next week, that'll be all I play for a good long while.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #411
Tasan
College Starter

NOTICE:

Just in case you wanted to play multiplayer Ghostbusters on PC, its not in there. Seems to be a last minute removal or something. I don't really care because I just wanted to play the game, but for you folks hoping to play it co-op or some kind of ghosts vs busters online, buy one of the console versions instead.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #412
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not too far into the 360 version but it is both an impressive and challenging game. The cut scenes are done very well, the dialogue as you play is good, I'm just hoping the game play doesn't get repetitive. This doesn't/shouldn't give anything away: I'm at the part where I'm exploring a building in Times Square. It is pretty fun up to this point but I do wonder about the overall length of story.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #413
spleen1015
Coordinator

Uh-oh....

Activision threatens to drop PS3, PSP - News at GameSpot

Quote:
Despite a growing user base for the PlayStation 3 and PSP, Sony recently reported a total net loss of $1.03 billion dollars, its first since 1995. The news came on top of previously announced job cuts and vast restructuring, while its flagship console, the PS3, continues to lag significantly behind both the Xbox 360 and the Wii in worldwide unit sales.

Kotick would like the PS3 to be cheaper.

Now it looks like things might be taking an even greater turn for the worse for Sony. Speaking to The Times of London, Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick threatened to pull support for both the PS3 and the PSP as early as 2010, saying that the return on creating games for the platforms isn't as good as on competing systems.

"I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform," he said. "It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation."

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow," he continued. "If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony." When asked about a time frame he said, "When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console--and the PSP."

Kotick's recent statements aren't the first time he's called for a price cut to for the current generation of consoles. In November 2007, he told a Reuters Media Summit that all three consoles need to be priced under $200 by 2009 if they want to continue pursuing mass-market adoption.

Activision Blizzard is weathering the current global economic crisis with aplomb, having reported a $189 million profit on revenues of $981 million during its January-March quarter. The publisher's rhythm franchise Guitar Hero also continues to perform, with Kotick describing the series "as big as Titanic with better margins." The franchise is soon to be bolstered by the upcoming release of turntable-equipped rhythm game DJ Hero, which is due to be released on the Xbox 360, PS3, PlayStation 2, and Wii later this year.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #414
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Negotiating tactic - he's obviously trying to get the cost of PS3 dev kits reduced and get Sony to take a smaller slice of the cut from game sales on Activision's titles.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #415
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Surely you don't think he's serious, do you? This is just another chapter in the maneuvers by publishers to push for a significant price drop. Activision makes a good chunk of money on PS3 games. They just want to make more, hence the reason for the threats.

Consumers as a whole should be grateful for the increase in rhetoric. You don't see partnering CEO's telling each other to drop the price on merchandise very often. I'm sure Sony's pissed that he did this, but Sony has demonstrated that it takes multiple kicks in the ass to get them to do something in this generation.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #416
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Handheld games don't often get the love they deserve from the enthusiast press but Scribblenauts (for DS) won E3 game of the show from IGN, Gamespot, and Gamespy.

It's a puzzle game where you must summon objects in order to help the main character obtain pieces of "starite." You can type in tens of thousands of objects (no adjectives, no profanity, no copyrighted words) to help you meet the goal. Like in one of the simple levels early in the game the piece of starite is in a tree, you can type in ladder and the character will climb up and grab it, or type in lumberjack and one will appear and then go cut the tree down, or you could type in jetpack and fly up to grab it, etc.

Here's one guy's thoughts after playing the game at E3:

Quote:
So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

In addition to the puzzles there's also a sandbox mode where you can just see how various things interact with each other.

A few videos:

E3 Trailer
God v. the Kraken
More gameplay from E3 (10:40 into video)

I can't wait for it to come out in September.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #417
MJ4H
Coordinator

ok that is officially the best thing ever
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #418
MikeVic
Head Coach

I can't wait for that game too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #419
SackAttack
Head Coach

So I've been screwing around with Red Faction: Guerilla the last coupla days, and I gotta say - smashing port-a-potties* in the name of the revolution with a giant sledgehammer is all kinds of fun.

*No, I don't have to smash them, but...they're right there! With smashable waste tanks!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #420
RainMaker
General Manager

Been playing the Ghostbusters game tonight. Not too bad but does a few annoying things. One is that it seems to re-load the whole cut scene if you fail a mission and re-try it (maybe this is only at the beginning). I also don't like how slow the guy is and hard it is to move out of the way.

Otherwise, the storyline is really good and the scenes are nice. The nostalgia factor makes it fun, otherwise I'd just say it's mediocre.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #421
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Handheld games don't often get the love they deserve from the enthusiast press but Scribblenauts (for DS) won E3 game of the show from IGN, Gamespot, and Gamespy.

It's a puzzle game where you must summon objects in order to help the main character obtain pieces of "starite." You can type in tens of thousands of objects (no adjectives, no profanity, no copyrighted words) to help you meet the goal. Like in one of the simple levels early in the game the piece of starite is in a tree, you can type in ladder and the character will climb up and grab it, or type in lumberjack and one will appear and then go cut the tree down, or you could type in jetpack and fly up to grab it, etc.

Here's one guy's thoughts after playing the game at E3:

In addition to the puzzles there's also a sandbox mode where you can just see how various things interact with each other.

A few videos:

E3 Trailer
God v. the Kraken
More gameplay from E3 (10:40 into video)

I can't wait for it to come out in September.

Awesome
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #422
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Rented Tiger Woods 10 today for PS3 I'm sure it'll frustrate me as past versions have and I won't buy it, but....as a rental, sure why not?

It really burns me up that games like this are going away from the model of letting you create your own player and instead want you to jump through all sorts of hoops to do what you want. It's frustrating. Just don't allow certain kinds of players to be taken online.

Or just let me play on the tour as Tiger and be done with it, because really that's all I wanna do. Get a few rounds in as a pro in a real tourney by myself and that's it.

But anyway, we'll see how it goes...the fanboys on all of the boards tell me the game is super easy.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:17 AM   #423
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Here's one guy's thoughts after playing the game at E3...

The dinosaur zombie robot story was awesome. That game wasn't even on my map until all the E3 reviews from IGN.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:19 AM   #424
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Been playing the Ghostbusters game tonight. Not too bad but does a few annoying things. One is that it seems to re-load the whole cut scene if you fail a mission and re-try it (maybe this is only at the beginning). I also don't like how slow the guy is and hard it is to move out of the way.

Otherwise, the storyline is really good and the scenes are nice. The nostalgia factor makes it fun, otherwise I'd just say it's mediocre.

I'm curious to see how that plays throughout the game. The review on IGN also made me curious about the Wii version.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #425
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Rented Tiger Woods 10 today for PS3 I'm sure it'll frustrate me as past versions have and I won't buy it, but....as a rental, sure why not?

It really burns me up that games like this are going away from the model of letting you create your own player and instead want you to jump through all sorts of hoops to do what you want. It's frustrating. Just don't allow certain kinds of players to be taken online.

Or just let me play on the tour as Tiger and be done with it, because really that's all I wanna do. Get a few rounds in as a pro in a real tourney by myself and that's it.

But anyway, we'll see how it goes...the fanboys on all of the boards tell me the game is super easy.

I didn't buy 09 but have played alot of 08 over the last 2 years when I got the virtual golf itch. I am pleased that the rubber band AI is gone. I like the Tour Pro mode and absolutely love the club tuning and new putting mechanics.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #426
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
I didn't buy 09 but have played alot of 08 over the last 2 years when I got the virtual golf itch. I am pleased that the rubber band AI is gone. I like the Tour Pro mode and absolutely love the club tuning and new putting mechanics.

yeah, after all of that bitching..I'm actually happy with it. The new putting is so much better and even though I think DLC is a scam, it beats the alternative of buying the game and finding you get little to no use from it, because you don't have time to jump through a bunch of hoops and just you wanna play.

It's a huge leap forward over the last version and honestly for me, having Bethpage in a golf game is worth the price in my mind.

I'm just renting but other than NCAA 10 when it comes out, I'll be picking this up.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #427
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I have the Wii version and the club tuning is really useful. The default settings do not have the irons lofted nearly enough so even mid irons would bounce and roll for around 15 yards after hitting the green. Without the club tuning I'd have been screwed once I moved on to the advanced setting where you can't control spin after impact.

Was this new for this year's version? I hadn't played the series since TW07.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-21-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #428
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
yeah, after all of that bitching..I'm actually happy with it. The new putting is so much better and even though I think DLC is a scam, it beats the alternative of buying the game and finding you get little to no use from it, because you don't have time to jump through a bunch of hoops and just you wanna play.

It's a huge leap forward over the last version and honestly for me, having Bethpage in a golf game is worth the price in my mind.

I'm just renting but other than NCAA 10 when it comes out, I'll be picking this up.

How do you buy access to the courses without having to go through the Challenges? I can't figure that part out? Not sure if I will buy them but would like to know how...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #429
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
How do you buy access to the courses without having to go through the Challenges? I can't figure that part out? Not sure if I will buy them but would like to know how...

Ok, just saw this. Games Modes -->Traditional Game Modes --> and then once you pick the game you want to play, you'll eventually get to pick a course and the locked ones will display the PSN icon in the right corner of the screen and you'll be able to purchase them then.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-21-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #430
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rockstar Games just announced that they'll be releasing a PSP version of GTA: Chinatown Wars this holiday season. It'll get the upgrade to PSP graphics and add a few missions. The DS version had horrible sales numbers, so they're probably looking to recoup some money with an enhanced port to the PSP.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #431
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Enybody else been playing the 1 vs. 100 Beta on Xbox Live? I like these sorts of games (used to play NTN at the bars quite a bit) and it seems like this could be pretty cool.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #432
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Enybody else been playing the 1 vs. 100 Beta on Xbox Live? I like these sorts of games (used to play NTN at the bars quite a bit) and it seems like this could be pretty cool.

1 vs. 100 on XBox Live - Front Office Football Central
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #433
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Doh!
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #434
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've started playing Little Big Planet on the PS3. I like it. Nice music, pretty relaxed gameplay, and the user-created stuff is a nice change from the in-game maps. This might be a buy for me (currently borrowing it).
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #435
rowech
Pro Starter

Bound in Blood out this week. I've been waiting for this one for a while but it doesn't seem to have too much buzz around it. Anyone else planning on buying?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #436
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Bound in Blood out this week. I've been waiting for this one for a while but it doesn't seem to have too much buzz around it. Anyone else planning on buying?

I traded in a bunch of games and after paying off a preorder on Uncharted 2 and Max Payne 3 I had still money left so I put cash on on BiB. I'll let you know how it is.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #437
SackAttack
Head Coach

After getting the LBP + Wall-E PS3 bundles in last week, we got a handful of Killzone 2 + Metal Gear Solid 4 bundles (80 GB, $400) in tonight.

Looks increasingly clear what Sony's strategy is going to be, at least until September.

FWIW, I've long lamented the loss of the days when systems routinely came with at least one game to play. If Sony shooting themselves in the foot on pricing brings those days back, so much the better.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #438
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm excited about The Bigs 2 next week. I loved the original game, as goofy as it was.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #439
RainMaker
General Manager

Battlefield 1943 is coming out on the 360 (not sure about PS3) on July 8th. I believe it's $15. I'm a huge fan of BF: Bad Company so I'm really looking forward to this game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 AM   #440
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm excited about The Bigs 2 next week. I loved the original game, as goofy as it was.

+1. The demo is so much fun.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #441
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm excited about The Bigs 2 next week.

Damnit, I thought the DP was scheduled for two weeks.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #442
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

After reading this: GameShark | Features | Madden NFL 10 Developer Q&A

I'm excited about Madden for once.. took the kids to gamestop and traded in a few old games and picked up Red Faction along with pre ordering Madden and NCAA.. I'm such a sucker!
Old 07-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #443
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
After reading this: GameShark | Features | Madden NFL 10 Developer Q&A

I'm excited about Madden for once.. took the kids to gamestop and traded in a few old games and picked up Red Faction along with pre ordering Madden and NCAA.. I'm such a sucker!

this scares the crap out of me. I see it as the game will be either Absolutely completely broken and utter crap. or It will be by far the best Madden in years.

So I have no idea what to think.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #444
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
this scares the crap out of me. I see it as the game will be either Absolutely completely broken and utter crap. or It will be by far the best Madden in years.

So I have no idea what to think.

I'm holding my breath..
Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #445
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
So I've been screwing around with Red Faction: Guerilla the last coupla days, and I gotta say - smashing port-a-potties* in the name of the revolution with a giant sledgehammer is all kinds of fun.

*No, I don't have to smash them, but...they're right there! With smashable waste tanks!

Couldn't agree with you more. The game has an awesomeness about it.. nothing like blasting charges while the bad guys are under a building that's coming down right on top of them.

I'm really loving this game so far....
Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #446
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Has anyone tried dawn of discovery?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #447
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Has anyone tried dawn of discovery?

I've been playing it a bit on PC and if you're into city builders along the lines of Caesar, but with a bit of a twist since it has a story mode with levels similar to the warcraft games then it can be a lot of fun.

It also has a sandbox mode for those that just want to build forever.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #448
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Battlefield 1943 is coming out on the 360 (not sure about PS3) on July 8th. I believe it's $15. I'm a huge fan of BF: Bad Company so I'm really looking forward to this game.

It's on both consoles coming out this week.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #449
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

The original was a great game. Early reviews indicate this one is a great upgrade over that one, which makes it a must for me.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #450
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quick question. I haven't played either Madden or NCAA Football since moving to a next-gen platform. Did they ever bring back "coach-only mode," where you just call the plays and the game actually plays things out for you? This was always my favorite way to play on the PS2, but I know it was an issue when they first moved the games to next-gen.

Thanks.
Allegiances:
Awards: