Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #101
Logan
Head Coach

I'm seeing Sabathia pitch as a Yankee for the first time...and while I obviously don't mind seeing them suffer, I hope they put some kind of weight clause in CC's contract. I don't even know if it's possible in baseball, but to give this behemoth that much money for that long of a period without some sort of protection would be insane.

Baltimore is hitting him around nicely.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #102
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

7 years for a gargantuan man who pitched 600 innings last year.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #103
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Baltimore is hitting him around nicely.

Well it is pretty cold in Baltimore, so I'm not sure I'd put that much stock in his pitching performance.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #104
Travis
Pro Rookie

I hate picking up guys based on a one game sample size, but this Emilio Bonifacio kid is just absolutely tearing it up today. 4-4 with an inside the park home run, a bunt single, 2 or 3 stolen bases and 4 runs scored already. Not a bad start to the season.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #105
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Whereas I was thinking last night how refreshing an addition he was to Sunday Night Baseball, an analyst that I could actually stand to listen to as opposed to the blithering idiot that sits next to Jon Miller regularly.

I'd much rather listen to Steve Phillips than Joe Morgan. He's easy to listen to and he seems like a very intelligent guy. However, he doesn't know jack shit about baseball and as a Met fan I have a hard time taking any of his analysis seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
They would need to add the great Orel Hershisher for that to happen in my book. He's the best analyst I've ever heard.

Hershiser was amazing his first game in the booth and I believe I even posted about it here. Since then, though, its as if he was told to dumb it down a bit because he's been good, but not great and he doesn't go as in-depth with things as he did.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #106
Butter
Coordinator

Reds manage 3 hits today. That'll probably be about their average.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #107
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I hate picking up guys based on a one game sample size, but this Emilio Bonifacio kid is just absolutely tearing it up today. 4-4 with an inside the park home run, a bunt single, 2 or 3 stolen bases and 4 runs scored already. Not a bad start to the season.

A 3B with 2B eligibility, in my Yahoo league at least. Had an open roster spot anyway, worth a flier. Thanks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #108
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, even if he is the next Tuffy Rhodes, if you have an open spot, why not?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #109
Travis
Pro Rookie

There we go. I picked him up after his 4th AB of the day and he promptly grounds out his first AB after.

The jinx is solid and still rolling!

Now to nab some Red Sox players...
Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #110
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Hershiser was amazing his first game in the booth and I believe I even posted about it here. Since then, though, its as if he was told to dumb it down a bit because he's been good, but not great and he doesn't go as in-depth with things as he did.

I had the same exact reaction. His commentary was so cerebral and focused that I wonder if ESPN told him to tone it down. If so that's a shame because he and Al Leiter have been the two best color guys I've heard in a long time. It's probably not a coincidence that both are recently retired pitchers and also new to the broadcast booth.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'd much rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard or a howling dog than Joe Morgan.

Fixed that for you
Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #112
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mlb audio mobile is already broken. Worked earlier. Sigh
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #113
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

O's finished off the Yankees 10-5. Not a fan of the camera crew on the YES network.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #114
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I had the same exact reaction. His commentary was so cerebral and focused that I wonder if ESPN told him to tone it down.

Just off the top of my head, thinking about the games I've caught with Hershiser working, I suspect it might not be so much a case of tone down the intellect as shorten the points. Doing that could have the same effect, harder to make a deep point in less time, but on a weekly/national game there's probably less tolerance built-in for in depth stuff.

I mean, I grew accustomed to, and didn't mind, having some of the discussions during Braves games go on through 2-3 innings but it's easier to get away with that when you have the same audience for 150 games a year.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #115
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fucking Heilman, where was that last year you bum!
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #116
Travis
Pro Rookie

So it's only opening day and the odds of the Jays doing much this year are pretty low, but it sure is a treat to watch Halladay work. Nice of the guys to give him a cushy lead but he looks like he's in one of those zones where 2 or 3 runs would have been enough.

Now if they can just field a team that'll make him want to stay in Toronto once his contract is up.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #117
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I like Purcey as my "deep" sleeper in fantasy baseball this year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #118
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jays bats are gonna give teams hell. Not the best offense by any means, but some solid contact guys who can motor a bit. Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball also.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #119
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wow, my opening game jinx factor is in mid season form.

Come on Doc, lock it down.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #120
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And I say that and it's 9-5 now.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #121
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What's going on in Toronto?

SI

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #122
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What's going on in Toronto?

SI

Enough people being idiots and throwing stuff on the field (including baseballs) that Leyland pulled the Tigers off the field. PA announcement that if it continued that the game could be forfeited as well as legal action pursued against those found to be throwing items, then the Tigers retake the field.

Pure stupidity really. I hope the fans around those tossing the stuff are pointing them out for the ushers/security to get rid of.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #123
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

and yet again the Cardinals look for a closer...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Woot. This is likely the only time all year the Pirates will be over .500
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #125
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, loving the fact that ESPN is now including "OPS" in its summary about the batter and obviously they've been telling their commentators to explain it a bit (especially Steve Phillips). Not bad, ESPN. Soon they'll be throwing around Adjusted ERA+ and VORP .
Old 04-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #126
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain2711 View Post
I don't care for it myself, but I thought he just pointed to his lord and savior twice. Pretty tame for him

Haven't thought about it for a bit, but IIRC, Frankie is pointing to his grandmother or grandfather when he does that. He does it after every save. He also fist pumps a lot.

He also usually puts two batters on before trying. He must have been amped today and forgot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 AM   #127
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Haven't thought about it for a bit, but IIRC, Frankie is pointing to his grandmother or grandfather when he does that. He does it after every save. He also fist pumps a lot.

He also usually puts two batters on before trying. He must have been amped today and forgot.

I LOL'd.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 AM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

me too.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #129
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I hope you guys are laughing at the second part, because the first part, I am serious (he's pointing to whichever one of his grandparents has passed away, pretty sure it's grandpa).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #130
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Btw, loving the fact that ESPN is now including "OPS" in its summary about the batter and obviously they've been telling their commentators to explain it a bit (especially Steve Phillips). Not bad, ESPN. Soon they'll be throwing around Adjusted ERA+ and VORP .

Yeah, in about 30 years

SI

Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #131
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The best part was when Miller was talking about OPS and how Chipper Jones OPS was great last season, Morgan comes in and says "You have to remember he almost hit .400 last season." I chuckled, then cried a tear for the loss of Ken Tremendous.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #132
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Nevermind his insanity about the traditional stats vs. sabremetric, I'm simply wondering how 44 points away is "almost".

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #133
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Mlb audio mobile is already broken. Worked earlier. Sigh

You're on Blackberry? When I looked into ordering it yesterday, it said audio wasn't available until after opening day. Maybe they had issues with it. I'd like to know if it works before getting it for today's games.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #134
Ksyrup

I wouldn't put too much stock into Sabathia's performance. As I recall, he was terrible in April last year and seemed to recover fairly well. I mean, I hope the guy never wins a game as a Yankee, and yesterday was certainly fun to listen to, but I'm sure he'll be fine. Unfortunately.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #135
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

From the ESPN bottom line, I believe he was 1-4 with an ERA over 7 last April. So, yah... waaay too early.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock into Sabathia's performance. As I recall, he was terrible in April last year and seemed to recover fairly well.

1-4 with a 7.76 ERA. And two more bad starts to begin May after that.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Signed up for Gameday Audio. Ready for the White Sox-Royals season opener. Gonna be a cold one.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #138
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Ugh. Not only are the Nats the ones that allowed this, but they traded him to Florida in the offseason (in the deal that got Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham).

The only positive not yesterday was that Adam Dunn started his contract off right, with a monster 3 run shot. He apparently has had an opening day homer in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #139
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

2 hours until Lincecum time. I'm pumped. Just please don't get shelled in the first inning.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #140
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I would rather they list OBP and SLG separately, but they are making an effort.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #141
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kindof ugly game in Chicago. Buehrle has thrown 80 pitches thru 4 but the Royals have left 7 guys on. The White Sox had a runner thrown out at home. 1-1 bottom 4.

SI

Old 04-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #142
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I can officially confirm that I am disliked by my family.

My father got tickets to yesterday's (now today's) Sox game. First time he's ever had a spare ticket offered to him too. But does he offer to take me...his firstborn son? Nope. He's taking my sister instead . Just for that I'm going to tell the nursing home attendents to let him sit in his feces for a few extra hours every year on Opening Day.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #143
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I can officially confirm that I am disliked by my family.

My father got tickets to yesterday's (now today's) Sox game. First time he's ever had a spare ticket offered to him too. But does he offer to take me...his firstborn son? Nope. He's taking my sister instead . Just for that I'm going to tell the nursing home attendents to let him sit in his feces for a few extra hours every year on Opening Day.

Are you having a tough time dealing with the reality of not being Daddy's Girl, DT?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #144
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Are you having a tough time dealing with the reality of not being Daddy's Girl, DT?

he didn't spend hours in the yard playing catch with my sister, or teaching my sister how to pitch
Old 04-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #145
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

he didn't spend hours in the yard playing catch with my sister, or teaching my sister how to pitch

Could that be because she didn't NEED his tutelage to be good at those things?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #146
Ksyrup

Apparently AJ Pierzynski stayed out too late last night:

(from MLB GameCast)
Quote:
A. Pierzynski singled to left, A. Pierzynski out stretching at second
Old 04-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #147
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

MVP...MVP!!

Lil-Petey puts the third pitch he sees into the Monster seats!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #148
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Why does it always have to be Jim fucking Thome

SI

Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #149
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And Hillman should be shot for putting in Farnsworth instead of Cruz

SI

Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #150
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
And Hillman should be shot for putting in Farnsworth instead of Cruz

SI

No, I think the GM bears the blame on this one. When the GM goes out and overspends on a bad setup guy, the manager is pretty much forced to use him, isn't he? That signing was ridiculous, even before Farnsworth threw a pitch this year.