Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #151
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
No, I think the GM bears the blame on this one. When the GM goes out and overspends on a bad setup guy, the manager is pretty much forced to use him, isn't he? That signing was ridiculous, even before Farnsworth threw a pitch this year.

Agreed, but I thought there was at least a recognition it was a bad move when they brought in Cruz at a similar cost (and a 2nd round draft pick) after the market had fallen apart.

Anyways, way to win the damn game today with Cruz and Soria, your two best arms in the pen, doing their level best to help us win with a total of... 0 IP. That still falls at the foot of the manager as well as the GM.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #152
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I agree, but having Farnsworth at all is a bad move. But I agree that he should be relegated to 6th/7th inning at best. And more than 1 run lead, too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #153
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Rodgers Center has suspended the serving of alcohol for tonight, and two other events (I thought it said one Argonauts game?) because of the Jays fans throwing shit on the field yesterday.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #154
Logan
Head Coach

Was there a singular reason for them acting batshit insane, outside of being Canadian?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #155
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Do they need another reason?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #156
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The Rodgers Center has suspended the serving of alcohol for tonight, and two other events (I thought it said one Argonauts game?) because of the Jays fans throwing shit on the field yesterday.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=274136

Looks like it wasn't actually for what happened yesterday.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #157
Izulde
Head Coach

Loving the 4-2 White Sox win to open the year.

Now if we can just get Dewayne Wise out of the damn lineup.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #158
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It's so weird watching the Braves on Peachtree TV. There are no commercials, they just show the field in the background with the sound muted.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #159
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=274136

Looks like it wasn't actually for what happened yesterday.

Yeah, a guy on this Tigs forum said it was from yesterday but apparently it was from them serving Minors a while back.

Still no idea WTF happened yesterday. Jays were up 7 when they went nuts.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #160
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A few Toronto FC fans got arrested when they traveled to Columbus for an away match, for boozing up and fighting with security apparently. Gotta keep an eye on those Canadians...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
It's so weird watching the Braves on Peachtree TV. There are no commercials, they just show the field in the background with the sound muted.

Huh?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #162
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yeah. They show the top/bottom half of an inning, once three outs are made the sound goes out and the camera crew shows a shot of the players going out to their positions and throwing the ball around. Once the "commercial break" is over and the players are ready to begin again, the sound comes back and the game is broadcast normally.

Also, no other programming shows up on this channel other than when the Braves play once or twice a week. I think it's because I live in the Southeast but rather far (five hours) from Atlanta or something.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-07-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #163
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it's because I live in the Southeast but rather far (five hours) from Atlanta or something.

Okay, now I get it, I wasn't sure where you were. Sounds like you're part of the deal they cut with Comcast and a couple of other cable systems to give them better access to the Braves in some of the FSN territories. It helps the team overall because it lengthens their reach and in theory gives the local systems some additional inventory to sell.

The problem in some of the markets (yours sounds like one) is that I knew about the deals that were struck several weeks before anyone bothered to even tell the local cable sales people. Kind of hard to sell it if you don't even know it's available. Of course given the reduction in sales force at Turner (which owns Peachtree TV) it wouldn't have been completely out of the realm of possibility that they had unsold inventory too. What you're seeing is basically the raw feed, same as the one that shows up on the concourse at the stadium.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #164
DeToxRox
Head Coach

LOL Blue Jays ..

Tigs have runners on 2nd and 3rd, Inge up, Everett on deck. They go for the IBB and Purcey overthrows the catcher. Guillen gets caught between home and 3rd and Thames is 3/4 of the way to third, so it looks like a base running clusterfuck, when Barajas throws the ball to second, except it's a shitty throw and sails into CF, scoring Guillen and sending Thames to third.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #165
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I agree, but having Farnsworth at all is a bad move. But I agree that he should be relegated to 6th/7th inning at best. And more than 1 run lead, too.

Agree. Rany summed it up well today: "The worst part of all this is that we all saw it coming. Every last one of us knew from the moment they read Hillman’s words about keeping Farnsworth in the eighth-inning role that it would cost the Royals dearly at some point. We didn’t know it would be Opening Day, against one of our chief rivals, with the justice meted out by one of our greatest nemeses. But we knew it was coming. With the Royals, no bad decision ever goes unpunished."

I was posting a bunch over at royalsreview at the time and we all knew it was coming. That's what's so damning. And Rany was also right to point out that Farnsworth is no less than the 3rd most responsible person because GMDM never should have signed him so Hillman couldn't have stupidly played him. But, again, at least GMDM signed Cruz at the cost of a draft pick so he at least recognized his mistake a little.

(also, from Rany: "Regardless of whether he learns or not, Hillman is getting no slack with me this year. He cost us this game, plain and simple. He cost us a two-game swing in the standings with a divisional rival. The odds that the outcome of this game – the outcome of Hillman’s decision – keeps the Royals out of the postseason are something like 1%. Think about that: it’s still Opening Day, and there’s a one-in-a-hundred shot that the Royals just blew the division.")

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-07-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #166
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well the great signing that was Brandon Lyon wasted an Edwin Jackson gem tonight. The only solace is my 3 pitchers in the FOFC hardcore league tonight were Jurrjens, Jackson and Bedard.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #167
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We'll trade you the Professor for Lyon straight up

SI

Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #168
Easy Mac

Braves 2-0
Phillies 0-2

This feels good

(taking the time to gloat, because I don't think it will last.)
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #169
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Loving the 4-2 White Sox win to open the year.

Now if we can just get Dewayne Wise out of the damn lineup.

It's a good thing that Thome hit that homerun. The White Sox looked terrible outside of that one inning. They're going to need a lot of 3 run homers this season to make up for their total lack of overall speed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #170
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sure, they have three piano movers in the middle of their lineup but it's not as if team speed has been one of the key ingredients in lineup construction since the Reagan presidency.

SI

Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #171
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

This is going to be another long season.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #172
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Sure, they have three piano movers in the middle of their lineup but it's not as if team speed has been one of the key ingredients in lineup construction since the Reagan presidency.

SI

It cost them a couple of runs yesterday. I guess it all evens out in the end. Watching the White Sox is like watching Big 10 basketball. You can win with it, but it can be pretty painful to watch.

I'm not sure that there was a worse scenario for the Royals than a 2-0 count against Thome. That dude can flat-out mash the ball when he's provided that kind of advantage. The Royals really need to make sure that Soria is ready in that situation going forward. It wouldn't kill him to get a 4 out save.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-08-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #173
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Someone at RR summed it up well. It's not that this was just bad luck and hindsight that people are jumping on. Everyone in the gameday thread knew- we didn't all just think- we all knew- what was coming when he came in to start the 8th. The problem wasn't that pitching Farnsworth was the worse of two bad options. I remember Soren talking once about Buddy Bell and his criticizing his bullpen management when all he had were guys who could add gas to the fire and saying "would you like death by shark or death by alligator" or something to that effect. This isn't the case here- they have some bullpen depth and even had the option of sending Gil out for the 8th.

Hillman picked the fifth best option he had and they go something like this (in order of preference):
1) Juan Cruz- he should be your setup guy as he's your second best bullpen arm. Oh, and he's a lefty which helps when 3 of 5 guys coming up are lefties.
2) Bring in Soria for 4 (or 5 or 6) outs. He hasn't pitched since Sunday. Easily this is the most high leveraged situation in the game. Put in your best player.
3) Go to Mahay to face Thome. Again, Thome kills straight fastballs and Farnsworth throws- you guessed it. Mahay is a lefty and Thome's lefty/right splits are quite pronounced. You take him from a 1.050 OPS hitter down to .750.
4) Pitch Meche for the 8th. He was cruising and only had 91 pitches thru 7. I'm ok with bringing a guy out too early to keep wear from his arm, tho, so this is not the best option.
5) Go to the pr0FF3ss0r

SI

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #174
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Hillman picked the fifth best option he had and they go something like this (in order of preference):
1) Juan Cruz- he should be your setup guy as he's your second best bullpen arm. Oh, and he's a lefty which helps when 3 of 5 guys coming up are lefties.

Cruz is mos def a righty.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #175
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm not a stat geek, but you obviously present a great case for bringing in Cruz (unless he's not a lefty). I wasn't watching the game, so I'm not sure if Soria/Cruz was even warming. I would have taken Soria as a viable alternative. There's no way Thome could sit on the fastball that much given Soria's ability to locate that big curveball.

Thank God they play daily in MLB and we can move on.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-08-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #176
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Cruz is mos def a righty.

Yeah, my bad. I was thinking Mahay. Cruz just is a lot better pitcher overall

SI

Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #177
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Amen. Time to watch Zack today

SI

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #178
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

MLB Network has Thursday Night baseball and I just saw their schedule. 16 different teams on their initial 8 games so it's not just Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc

Thursday Night Baseball on MLB Network | MLB Network: TV Schedule

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-08-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #179
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

IMHO this is one of the best parts of baseball regular season. Less teeth-gnashing over every single loss.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
IMHO this is one of the best parts of baseball regular season. Less teeth-gnashing over every single loss.

Yeah, football has a whole sport talk news cycle where Monday is a day for overreactions (good or bad), Tuesday is for looking around the league, Wednesday is for "deeper reflections", Thursday is for looking forward to the next week, and Friday is full-on game preview.

I really like sports talk during baseball season so much more.

SI

Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #181
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, football has a whole sport talk news cycle where Monday is a day for overreactions (good or bad), Tuesday is for looking around the league, Wednesday is for "deeper reflections", Thursday is for looking forward to the next week, and Friday is full-on game preview.

I really like sports talk during baseball season so much more.

SI

Agreed! Plus, while it's nice to have football season where every game means so much and there's so much buildup, it's also nice to have baseball season where losing one game is not that big of a deal and things are more leisurely.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #182
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Atlanta is putting another hurtin' on the Phils, their season looks about over. Time to focus on the Mets.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #183
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yup, 3 into 162 is time to quit on a team

I mean, if you didn't like the makeup of the team before the season started, that's one thing. But, really, after 1 bad series?

SI

Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #184
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Hey now, my Giants are 1-0. It's clearly their division to lose.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #185
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm just letting myself get a little giddy at their nice start. The past three years have been rough for Braves fans, especially when you consider that they won the division every year from when I was in third grade until after my college graduation.

In the end I suspect they'll finish in third around .500
Old 04-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #186
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

I think the Braves might have more of a shot than they're getting credit for. I look at the NL East, and they might have most solid starting 5 from front to back, especially when Hanson comes up. The Mets and the Phillies don't have nearly that deep of a staff. I don't know if the Braves can compete offensively with those two teams, but it wouldn't surprise me if their pitching made the division more than a two team race.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #187
SackAttack
Head Coach

consecutive bases-loaded walks for Philly to make it a 3-run game, and now Jimmy Rollins gets a chance to actually do something positive for my fantasy team this year.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
I don't know if the Braves can compete offensively

Or in the bullpen.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #189
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
consecutive bases-loaded walks for Philly to make it a 3-run game, and now Jimmy Rollins gets a chance to actually do something positive for my fantasy team this year.

Does a bases-loaded walk count as an RBI? If so, I guess that'll have to do for my 'something positive.'
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #190
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Or in the bullpen.

Hah, yeah.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #191
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Epic bullpen fail, wow.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does a bases-loaded walk count as an RBI? If so, I guess that'll have to do for my 'something positive.'

Yep.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #193
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
It's a good thing that Thome hit that homerun. The White Sox looked terrible outside of that one inning. They're going to need a lot of 3 run homers this season to make up for their total lack of overall speed.

They have more speed than last year, though that's certainly not saying much.

I didn't get a chance to see the game and could only follow for an inning or two on the MLB Gameday thing or whatev, but the White Sox nearly lost the game when they only got 1 run after loading the bases with no outs in the bottom of the second.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #194
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
Epic bullpen fail, wow.

Nice of the Phillies offense to finally wake up.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 04-08-2009 at 05:24 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #195
RedKingGold
College Starter

Heh, maybe Lidge blows his first save on his first save opportunity.

That'd be ironic.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #196
RedKingGold
College Starter

Then again, maybe not.

Nice to get that monkey off our backs.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 04-08-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #197
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Four bases loaded walks in one inning is remarkable. If the Braves have to lose at least they have done so in an unconventional manner.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #198
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Heck, I could've told you to stay away from Rollins. He's done, maybe even as soon as this year. There's a reason the Phils didn't trade Jason Donald.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #199
adubroff
High School JV

For those of you who are into symmettries, in game 3 of the 2008 season the Phillies(0-2 at the time) came back from 6-1 down to win 7-6. It was not a walkfest like this one (although the winning run scored on a walkoff walk in the 10th), more of a single fest.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #200
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Atlanta is putting another hurtin' on the Phils, their season looks about over. Time to focus on the Mets.

Yep, just about over there .