Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #301
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I listened to the Flyers feed online. And even when FSN came back up, I just listened to the radio so I didn't see any of the 2nd or 3rd period.

Yeah the Pens controlled the first period but it seemed like the Flyers changed it a bit after that....still have to win 2 games which will be tough.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-23-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #302
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I didn't have a radio in the room. I switched to the Sports Mix channel on Direct, which I could see (barely) and hear the VS feed.

Malkin's disallowed goal must have been pretty close behind Asham's. I flipped to ESPN News, they were doing an update on the game. They had the score up as 1-0, but showed both Asham and Malkin with goals. Then took Malkin's off the board as the were talking about the game.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #303
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just saw it now and it looked like the right call...I don't think he got a stick on it before it went in.

I bet people were calling Comcast PISSED! During the Steelers playoff run last year the cable went out during the 2nd half of the San Diego game and people were flipping out at the bar.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #304
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

My first guess was the arena finally crumbled. They had that once where the building lost power.

When they came back to start the 3rd, Steigy said lighting hit homebase for FSN in Atlanta, knocking out power there.

I got 4 calls asking if it was out for me on Direct as well, so I saved 4 people from calling Comcast.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #305
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Ugh. 1-0, New Jersey. Ward did all he could, but Brodeur did all he could, too. Brodeur's usually going to win that sort of competition and he did so tonight, especially after Carolina pretty much laid siege to the New Jersey goal over the last 30-odd minutes.

Obviously, gotta win Game Six at home now and then find a way to win in New Jersey. I'm not optimistic if Brodeur keeps this up.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 04-24-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Duh. "i" before "e" except after "c".
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #306
kingfc22
Head Coach

Sharks laid an egg tonight. No passion at all.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #307
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not really sure how to define how the Sharks are tonight, although, agreed, it's not good. They don't seem to have the same drive they had Tuesday night.

I think they had a lot of fight in them early on, but when Ryan got the first goal, I think it might have gotten in the Sharks' heads a little bit.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #308
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Sharks laid an egg tonight. No passion at all.

Nope. Ducks are playing at a completely different intensity level. Seems like Dan Boyle and occasionally Clowe are the only Sharks able to match it. I'd love to be wrong but if they somehow escape San Jose with a win, it's over in Anaheim in game 6. Then we'll get to see who gets held accountable for this. Thornton? Nabby? Doug Wilson?
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #309
Pyser
Pro Rookie

nice win by the devils. ward was as good as brodeur tonight. cant wait for sunday. this has been a ridiculously tight series
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #310
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's almost like the Sharks aren't working to get good shots. Hiller makes 30+ saves again, but was really very comfortable the whole game. It's interesting because I heard a lot about McLellan making sure they took better shots in game 3 and it worked, but they really got away from it again tonight.

And again, Thornton and Marleau go absolutely nowhere near the net all night. Although Nabakov hasn't been good, I think you have to look at those 2first if the Sharks do lose the series.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #311
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Do Thornton and Marleau spend a lot of time in front of the net during the regular season? Or is playoff hockey just a bad fit for their style of play? Despite their size, I can't recall ever being impressed with them gutting out scores so much has having this immense talent to score pretty goals.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #312
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I just saw it now and it looked like the right call...I don't think he got a stick on it before it went in.

Watching this morning on NHL Network, I agree.

The only angle I saw on FSN was from the side boards, and couldn't see through the sticks and legs.

NHLN showed from behind the net, perfectly clear. If he just turns his foot, he's good. But, he wouldn't have gotten enough pace on it to beat Biron that way.

The killer player was mid way through the first, Kennedy intercepted a puck going around the boards, behind the net, walked out and tried to stuff it in. Biron was looking for him to come out the other direction. One more step and TK has an open net.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #313
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Do Thornton and Marleau spend a lot of time in front of the net during the regular season? Or is playoff hockey just a bad fit for their style of play? Despite their size, I can't recall ever being impressed with them gutting out scores so much has having this immense talent to score pretty goals.

This has been the book on Thornton for awhile I think. Big body, but plays on the perimeter mostly.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #314
bbor
Pro Starter

Looks good on the Leafs.

Wilson coached SJ to near the top of the league during the regular season in past years....then bailed in the play-offs and it was laid at his doorstep.Obviously it was'nt his doing...it was the players.

Burke put together the team (Ducks) that's taking SJ out of the play-offs.

Looks like a win-win for the Leafs.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #315
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
nice win by the devils. ward was as good as brodeur tonight. cant wait for sunday. this has been a ridiculously tight series

That was an extremely fun game to watch- at least the part that we got to see after Versus switched over from the Pens/Flyers game

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #316
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Ugh. 1-0, New Jersey. Ward did all he could, but Brodeur did all he could, too. Brodeur's usually going to win that sort of competition and he did so tonight, especially after Carolina pretty much laid siege to the New Jersey goal over the last 30-odd minutes.

Obviously, gotta win Game Six at home now and then find a way to win in New Jersey. I'm not optimistic if Brodeur keeps this up.

Quite the performance by Brodeur, especially flipping over and snatching that puck away right before it dribbled across the line. One game was decided with 0.2 seconds left, another one by about 0.2 inches.

And quite the series. Aside from the game 1 stinker by Carolina (sigh), you have 2 overtime games and a pair of 1-goal games, each of which was very close to going to OT. Very evenly matched and hard fought. Maybe they'll finally get one on Versus and show it in HD.

Nah.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #317
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the only thing the devils-canes series is missing is nastiness. the teams just dont hate each other the way id like to see in the playoffs. but other than that, its been great defensive hockey.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #318
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Well, the Jackets got swept last night, but it was the most entertaining games that I've ever been to.

Now to the final call:

I hate to say this, but the refs made the right call at the end of the game. By the letter of the law, there were too many men on the ice.

BUT

By the letter of the law, the Jackets would have had 2 more power plays in the 3rd period. Vermette gets boarded right behind the net, 5 feet by a ref, but it doesn't get called. Dorsett basically gets tackled at one point, but no call.

Here's my problem with the final call: If they're going to call the last penalty by the book, why don't they call the rest like that as well?

Just a terrible way to end the best game of the series.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #319
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Well, the Jackets got swept last night, but it was the most entertaining games that I've ever been to.

Now to the final call:

I hate to say this, but the refs made the right call at the end of the game. By the letter of the law, there were too many men on the ice.

BUT

By the letter of the law, the Jackets would have had 2 more power plays in the 3rd period. Vermette gets boarded right behind the net, 5 feet by a ref, but it doesn't get called. Dorsett basically gets tackled at one point, but no call.

Here's my problem with the final call: If they're going to call the last penalty by the book, why don't they call the rest like that as well?

Just a terrible way to end the best game of the series.

Total agreeance here. A blast to watch. This is the kind of game I expected to see all series which is why I was so nervous.

CBJ will be a force in the years to come though.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #320
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
the only thing the devils-canes series is missing is nastiness. the teams just dont hate each other the way id like to see in the playoffs. but other than that, its been great defensive hockey.

I dunno, the brewing goaltender interference feud is building up to some nice moments. If Brodeur keeps leaving his net and getting in the way of the skaters, something is going to blow soon...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #321
samifan24
Pro Starter

Does anyone know where I can find a schedule for the 2nd round and later rounds? Like, has the NHL said "the Conference Final games" will definitely be held on "these dates" or anything like that?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #322
Logan
Head Coach

A bad goal allowed by Henrik. Now I've seen everything.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #323
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I don't remember seeing this last year. It's a Gillette Fusion razor on-site ad that ran in Boston, was meant to be a one timer but got such a great reaction they ran it throughout the playoffs last year (not clear on whether they brought it back again this season). It just won the OBIE award for best execution of an alternative/street/transit media campaign.

Me? I just got a kick out of it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-24-2009 at 07:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #324
Logan
Head Coach

Ovechkin just scored a ridiculous goal.

Unfortunately, looks like my ticket for Game 6 will be used.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #325
Pyser
Pro Rookie

holy shit that was SICK
Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #326
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Every time I think Ovechkin's got nothing else in his bag of tricks, he pulls something else out of the bag of tricks. Amazing.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #327
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I was just thinking about this myself. I think not being division rivals probably dampens it some, but I think another part of it is generally the teams have a fair amount of respect for one another, starting with the goaltending and the generally similar styles of play. No one's being brutally nasty, but you still have to earn everything you get. Yes, there's been some feisty moments, but that's to be expected. This isn't going to turn into anything like Colorado-Detroit from the 1990s, though.

Frankly, for Carolina fans, while they'll say they don't like New Jersey a lot, they don't really hate them, either, especially not like they hate Buffalo (though that's more due to the clashes with Sabres fans during the 2006 playoffs than anything else).

Me personally, if NJ bounces Carolina and Washington also goes out, that pretty much leaves NJ as the team I'd want to win the East as I generally root for teams from non-traditional or "mocked" markets (NJ being more in the latter than the former due to the constant jabbing they take for attendance) when Carolina is out of the running for the Cup (tangentially, this also means I hope San Jose or Anaheim wins the West).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #328
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If I told you that an NHL prospect had been arrested for killing a referee and burying his body in the woods, would you be able to guess which team?

Of course!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #329
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
If I told you that an NHL prospect had been arrested for killing a referee and burying his body in the woods, would you be able to guess which team?

Of course!

Yay! I was right

SI

Old 04-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #330
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this pennsylvania series is awesome to watch. stupid draft making me split my time.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #331
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cannot believe Carcillo fought Talbot. So stupid. You do not fight, up 3, at home and give Pittsburgh some life. So fucking stupid.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #332
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Cannot believe Carcillo fought Talbot. So stupid. You do not fight, up 3, at home and give Pittsburgh some life. So fucking stupid.

Wonder how Max managed to goad him into that...was Roberts somewhere in the building, and sent Talbot a message via telekinesis?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #333
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Max "shhhhhhhhh!" of the crowd about 35 seconds in- CLASSIC!
You can do that when you are a superstar.

YouTube - Carcillo Fights Talbot in HD - Flyers vs Penguins Game 6
Old 04-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #334
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Fighting never has any impact on the outcome of a game. Every media star in the world has told me that.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #335
gstelmack
Pro Starter

They aren't saying it has no impact, just that the impact it has is a negative one.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #336
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

ok, I know the puck went in before Kozlov hit Lundqvist, but isn't it still illegal to plow over the goalie? Should the goalie have to choose between saving the puck or bracing for a collision? wtf?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #337
Logan
Head Coach

That was a very depressing game to be at.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #338
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That was a very depressing game to be at.

I can about equal you as I was at the Flyers game yesterday.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #339
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can about equal you as I was at the Flyers game yesterday.

Does bitterness extend to the Philly press too?
Not that it matters much, but how is Crosby not one of the 3 stars?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #340
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #341
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Only 5 shots on goal and we're already midway through the 2nd period almost. Is Jersey just saving up their energy for game 7?

SI

Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #342
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I need my lovemuffin Zach Parise to take this game over.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #343
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Does bitterness extend to the Philly press too?
Not that it matters much, but how is Crosby not one of the 3 stars?

Who cares...
Old 04-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #344
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who cares...

Sak's gotta point. Why on Earth would Flyers fans, in the wake of being knocked out of the playoffs in such an awful comeback fashion, even care about who gets the three stars? Weird question, SR.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #345
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Don't get me wrong, the choice is meaningless. Just curious how the best player on the ice isn't selected. Why pick at all? Or, since it's voted on by the home team's press, have them select 3 players from the home team, cause that will make everyone happy.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #346
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

You know, I really think Carcillo is getting a raw deal in all of this. People want to blame him for turning the game around. But what did he do? He fought, he knocked the crap out of the other guy, and the crowd was going insane. Where's the problem here?

People say that Talbot fired up his team by even being willing to go. Well, wouldn't he have accomplished the same by challenging Carcillo and being turned down? And he wouldn't have had his face tenderized in the process.

Sometimes a fight turns a whole game around. And sometimes, it just happens to occur right before something else does.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #347
Logan
Head Coach

BTW, Donald Brashear's cheap shot elbow on Blair Betts from today. Amazingly, 18,200 fans plus every player saw it but not one ref did.

Washington scored to go ahead 2-1 a bit later during what should have been a Ranger power play, and then went ahead 3-1 on their own PP goal where we of course did not have our #1 penalty killer in the game.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #348
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Um...

Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #349
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Um...

Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #350
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So, will I actually get to see the Sharks game tonight on Versus? Haven't been able to watch one yet thanks to the ridiculous TV contract. I guess I need to move to San Jose to remedy the problem.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote