Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #351
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
You know, I really think Carcillo is getting a raw deal in all of this. People want to blame him for turning the game around. But what did he do? He fought, he knocked the crap out of the other guy, and the crowd was going insane. Where's the problem here?

People say that Talbot fired up his team by even being willing to go. Well, wouldn't he have accomplished the same by challenging Carcillo and being turned down? And he wouldn't have had his face tenderized in the process.

Sometimes a fight turns a whole game around. And sometimes, it just happens to occur right before something else does.

I agree 100%. It isn't his fault his team thought they had the game won and laid down. This game was the Flyers season in a nut shell. Play good for 30 minutes, and then play terrible for the other 30. Plus they pass the puck worse than a Pee Wee hockey team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I agree with Detox that it will be Pittsburgh in 6

The Flyers are so inconsistent and rarely play 60 minutes strong. That is why they will lose. They are a much better team than last year but do not play with the intensity that last year's team did. The Pens are good, but beatable. But their pressing system will cause the Flyers to turn the puck over which will lead to chances.

My prediction of the series (in the other thread) was completely accurate. They didn't show up for Game 1...Games 2 through 6 were all very close, but lapses on the ice and in their head led to their downfall. As much as people want to blame Biron for this...he was not the problem.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #352
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
So, will I actually get to see the Sharks game tonight on Versus? Haven't been able to watch one yet thanks to the ridiculous TV contract. I guess I need to move to San Jose to remedy the problem.

Huh? I've seen pretty much every game of that series on Versus so far. Is Versus doing a regional thing?

Tonight, they will join that game in progress after the Calgary/Chicago game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-27-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #353
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Actually it has been the opposite for the Sharks/Ducks series...the president of Versus was on NHL Live last week and said that series will be shown everywhere in the country. It won't be blacked out even in San Jose or Anaheim for the local broadcast.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #354
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Before the playoffs started, someone handed me a schedule with the TV networks listed. SJ/ANA was one of the series that had every game on Versus. The only other series to get all 7 scheduled for Versus was VAN/STL. Besides those two, PIT/PHI was the only other series to have all 7 scheduled for national US coverage, although two of those games were on NBC.

So anyway, I'm not sure why some parts of the US would not get all of the SJ/ANA games on Versus, especially areas without an NHL team.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #355
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Before the playoffs started, someone handed me a schedule with the TV networks listed. SJ/ANA was one of the series that had every game on Versus. The only other series to get all 7 scheduled for Versus was VAN/STL. Besides those two, PIT/PHI was the only other series to have all 7 scheduled for national US coverage, although two of those games were on NBC.

So anyway, I'm not sure why some parts of the US would not get all of the SJ/ANA games on Versus, especially areas without an NHL team.

It's likely my screw-up. When you have kids and the games start late here in KC, you're not always thinking straight when you're looking for the game on the schedule.

I'll definitely catch the game tonight. Should be fun to watch. Hopefully the Sharks can pull out a win.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #356
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Six games for Brashear. One for the pre-game shove on Orr and five for the hit on Betts.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-27-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #357
Logan
Head Coach

Perfectly fair to trade our #1 PKer for a thug who plays 5 minutes a game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #358
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Perfectly fair to trade our #1 PKer for a thug who plays 5 minutes a game.

It doesn't really matter if Betts is there or not when 75% of the team is just skating around aimlessly for 45 seconds at a time.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #359
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Am I the only one who thinks it was really poor planning on the NHL's part to have the schedule so 2 NY area teams are playing a game 7 on the same night?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #360
Logan
Head Coach

Not when one of them is the Devils .
Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #361
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree 100%. It isn't his fault his team thought they had the game won and laid down. This game was the Flyers season in a nut shell. Play good for 30 minutes, and then play terrible for the other 30. Plus they pass the puck worse than a Pee Wee hockey team.

My prediction of the series (in the other thread) was completely accurate. They didn't show up for Game 1...Games 2 through 6 were all very close, but lapses on the ice and in their head led to their downfall. As much as people want to blame Biron for this...he was not the problem.

Agree here, plenty more candidates than Biron.

Reading Timonen has a concussion. Was this something prior to the series? Kunitz hit?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #362
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I have a feeling a few guys were hurt. I don't think Jones ever fully healed from hip surgery...I think Carter had a hurt wrist and I bet Kuntiz's hit gave Timmo a concussion.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #363
kingfc22
Head Coach

%^$^%$@ Hold a bleepin lead for once!

Ugh!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #364
bhlloy
Coordinator

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Again, Sharks get 36 shots on Hiller and maybe had 2 real "should have scored" moments. At the end of the day, Ducks are a playoff team and the Sharks just aren't. Other than game 5, pretty much all of their "good" players except Boyle laid an egg the entire series, and even Boyle took some really bad penalties tonight.

Good series, Sharks fans. Ducks were incredibly lucky in the first 2 games and this easily could have been 4-1 after game 5 but we did play 2 great games at home. Bring on the Wings...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #365
kingfc22
Head Coach

Back to the drawing board...AGAIN!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #366
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The better team is going home.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #367
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yay. Hawks move on

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #368
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

HONK HONK HONK

GO CAPS GO

HONK HONK HONK

GO CAPS GO
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #369
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Tonight's going to be a fun night of hockey

SI

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #370
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah...I'm glad the Blackhawks won...they are a fun team to watch.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #371
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings-Ducks should be quite a series. The Ducks are really the last team I wanted to see the Wings face, but so be it. Their top line is playing as well as any line in hockey right now. They are incredibly solid along the blueline and Hiller, their only potential question mark going into the playoffs, was perhaps the best goalie in any first round series. The Ducks have plenty of experience and should provide a very difficult challenge. The Wings have more depth at forward, the defensive corps are pretty comparable, and the Ducks have the edge in goaltending.

Hopefully Corey Perry will be rightly suspended for at least 4 games for his elbow to the head last night. It was every bit as vicious as Brashear's hit on Betts, the only difference was that Cheechoo (if it was Cheechoo) was lucky enough not to get injured. If he had gone down and was knocked out of the game, there would be no question that a multi-game suspension would be in Perry's future. Since the NHL takes a weird approach to these things, given Cheechoo came away pretty much unscathed means that Perry will likely not be suspended or, if so, it may only be for one game.

Still, if the NHL wants to be serious about getting rid of shots to the head, a message should be sent. 4-5 games would be appropriate based on the Brashear precedent in these playoffs. Let us not forget that Perry is a recidvist and was suspended for 4 games earlier this season for an elbow to the head.

Where's Collin Campbell's number or e-mail address? I would like to submit a brief on this for his consideration.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #372
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Win or lose, I want to see the Rangers play with some passion tonight.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #373
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I have a weird feeling about tonight's Caps/Rangers game. I don't know anybody who's picking the Rangers, anywhere. They're already dead and buried. Caps fans are promising the blow the roof off. Everyone's already trying to figure out if we should root for Carolina and an Ovie/Crosby matchup in round two, or be patient and wait for round three.

I know one thing about sports, it's that when everyone agrees on something then everyone is wrong. I'm just getting that "Henrik Lundqvist makes 43 saves in a shocking shutout win" vibe...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #374
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This is the 2nd year in a row that the Caps have come back from a 3 games to 1 deficit in round one...and the second year in a row game 7 will be at home. Hopefully this year they reverse the outcome.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-28-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #375
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

If the Rangers can get a lead, they've got a chance. If they fall behind at any point, I think they're done. They just don't have the offense to catch up without inevitably making a mistake and giving up another goal.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #376
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rangers can win. They have to take the game to Washington for once. They've played so defensivley the last two games worrying about not making mistakes that they've made them in droves. The Caps D is still very weak, and if you let some of the Rangers speedy forwards pressure them they're going to make mistakes. But as long as the Rangers keep waiting back for Ovechkin to do something they have no chance.

That said, I say Rangers 3-1 tonight.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #377
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Wings-Ducks should be quite a series. The Ducks are really the last team I wanted to see the Wings face, but so be it. Their top line is playing as well as any line in hockey right now. They are incredibly solid along the blueline and Hiller, their only potential question mark going into the playoffs, was perhaps the best goalie in any first round series. The Ducks have plenty of experience and should provide a very difficult challenge. The Wings have more depth at forward, the defensive corps are pretty comparable, and the Ducks have the edge in goaltending.

Hopefully Corey Perry will be rightly suspended for at least 4 games for his elbow to the head last night. It was every bit as vicious as Brashear's hit on Betts, the only difference was that Cheechoo (if it was Cheechoo) was lucky enough not to get injured. If he had gone down and was knocked out of the game, there would be no question that a multi-game suspension would be in Perry's future. Since the NHL takes a weird approach to these things, given Cheechoo came away pretty much unscathed means that Perry will
likely not be suspended or, if so, it may only be for one game.

Still, if the NHL wants to be serious about getting rid of shots to the head, a message should be sent. 4-5 games would be appropriate based on the Brashear precedent in these playoffs. Let us not forget that Perry is a recidvist and was suspended for 4 games earlier this season for an elbow to the head.

Where's Collin Campbell's number or e-mail address? I would like to submit a brief on this for his consideration.

I think it'll come down to Ozzy's health. If he is 100%, Wings in 6, and if not, Ducks in 6 or 7. I think Anaheim is going to be beat up after a physical series, but the difference is, and Ken Hitchcock said this the other day, Detroit is big. People forget how big Hossa, Franzen, Holmstrom, etc are. They can bang, but they don't have those spectacular hits. However it's huge chore getting them out of the front of the net.

They just have to keep wearing down Anaheim's D, and this series I expect Dats to explode.

But if Ozzy isn't healthy and can't make the routine side to side saves then we're in trouble.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #378
samifan24
Pro Starter

As a Bruins fan, I want the Rangers to knock off Washington. If that doesn't happen, I'm hoping Carolina can upset the Devils although I doubt that will happen. I do not want to face Pittsburgh.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #379
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If the game goes to overtime and Sean Avery scores the winner, I will lie down in traffic.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #380
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
If the game goes to overtime and Sean Avery scores the winner, I will lie down in traffic.

Let me know where, I gotta get a car wash anyway.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #381
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Can i have your wife?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #382
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Can i have your wife?

Count me in. I'm all about too many men.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #383
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
As a Bruins fan, I want the Rangers to knock off Washington. If that doesn't happen, I'm hoping Carolina can upset the Devils although I doubt that will happen. I do not want to face Pittsburgh.

as a hockey fan, I would LOVE to see a Boston - Pittsburgh series.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #384
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
as a hockey fan, I would LOVE to see a Boston - Pittsburgh series.

As a hockey fan, I think an ideal scenario would be a 2nd round Washington-Pittsburgh match up and then a Boston-Pitt conference finals.

That would be some great hockey.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #385
Logan
Head Coach

My buddy said the only chance we have to win is if someone unexpected steps up and buries a couple goals. He suggested Zherdev. I thought it was a good fit, but unfortunately he hasn't even been able to cross the blue line all series. What a waste that kid is.

No shot if the Caps score first. Avery needs to be on the PP from the start camped out in front of the net. God help Ovechkin/Semin if this turns into a blowout -- I think that's when the Betts payback takes place.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #386
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My buddy said the only chance we have to win is if someone unexpected steps up and buries a couple goals. He suggested Zherdev. I thought it was a good fit, but unfortunately he hasn't even been able to cross the blue line all series. What a waste that kid is.

No shot if the Caps score first. Avery needs to be on the PP from the start camped out in front of the net. God help Ovechkin/Semin if this turns into a blowout -- I think that's when the Betts payback takes place.

Zherdev had an abysmal game on Sunday. His give away that led to the first goal was attrocious. He was afraid of getting hit so he just gave the puck right up.

He had that glorious chance on the backhand that he totally flubbed as well. He had a wide open net and instead of driving to the net and burrying it, he sort of angled away and flipped a weak shot that totally missed.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #387
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The Rangers' only big-name guy who has showed up this series is Lundqvist. Gomez, Antropov, Zherdev, Redden, Drury (I suppose he's hurting), and Naslund have all been terrible.

I really think a guy like Nigel Dawes would have made a big difference in a series like this too. I don't think Morris has been bad this series (although I haven't noticed him being particularly good either), but Kalinin + Dawes (and Prucha) would have been better.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #388
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
The Rangers' only big-name guy who has showed up this series is Lundqvist. Gomez, Antropov, Zherdev, Redden, Drury (I suppose he's hurting), and Naslund have all been terrible.

I really think a guy like Nigel Dawes would have made a big difference in a series like this too. I don't think Morris has been bad this series (although I haven't noticed him being particularly good either), but Kalinin + Dawes (and Prucha) would have been better.

I'll agree on everyone but Antropov. At least he's been skating hard and has been physical. But besides him, give me Callahan and Dubinsky and they can get rid of the rest. Sad to say with how much these guys are getting paid.

I'm sure Dawes wouldn't have hurt, but he still wouldn't have been enough. It still comes down to the talent disparity, as this series really would have been over after 4 games if Lundqvist wasn't playing at a level that was even above where he's been in the past. But that doesn't matter...we're talking about one game now and any team can be beat in one game, and like others have said, at least we have the goalie advantage.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #389
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Can i have your wife?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Count me in. I'm all about too many men.
I just wanted to comment on how it's become a common thing for guys in FOFC to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-28-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #390
miked
College Starter

I would love to see Avery pummeled. Devils seem to find ways to lose these kind of games, and they looked awful in game 6. That being said, let's go Brodeur!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #391
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good start for the Rangers.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #392
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gotta make that save Marty
Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #393
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We only are getting the Rangers-Capitols game on the local Comcast sports station and there's some silly MMA on Versus

SI

Old 04-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #394
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Terrible call to give the 'Canes a 5-3 here. How do you give a team a 5-3 on such a boarderline call in this spot?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #395
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

great kill. Hopefully it gives the DEvils some momentum
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #396
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Terrible call to give the 'Canes a 5-3 here. How do you give a team a 5-3 on such a boarderline call in this spot?

Welcome to playoff officiating.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #397
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Welcome to playoff officiating.

yeah, been watching and playing hockey my whole life.

Still annoying.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #398
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Anymore when players feel the stick in their stomach or any hint on a trip they are falling. I really think there needs to be tougher enforcement on embellishment. Don't give them both penalties...only give the embellisher the penalty.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #399
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Anymore when players feel the stick in their stomach or any hint on a trip they are falling. I really think there needs to be tougher enforcement on embellishment. Don't give them both penalties...only give the embellisher the penalty.

Anything that draws blood should be a penalty. No blood, no pims. Let's stop coddling people.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #400
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

WOOOO!!! GO CAPS!!