Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lakers vs Magic and the 2008-2009 NBA Playoffs/Finals Thread

The East goes through Cleveland. The West through LA. This has gotta be one of the most anti-climactic ends to a regular season in a awhile. I think all the playoff teams have been determined since mid last week. With a win
Wednesday, the Cavs would tie the 85-86 Celtics for the best home mark in league history(40-1).

As a Cavs homer, I'd say they should be favorites to win it all. But you still have tough teams like Boston and Orlando, so it's going to be a long road.

Last edited by stevew : 05-30-2009 at 10:02 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm excited for these playoffs. Hopefully there are some good matchups.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
watravaler
High School JV

East: Depends on KG's health, if he isn't 100%, or very close to it, the Cavs and the Magic will square-off for the right to represent the East. If KG is good to go, the Celts will probably have just enough to hold off LeBron for one more season. After this season though, it is LeBron and Howard's conference for a long time, unless Chicago gets Rose a stud running mate in FA 2010/ same for ATL if they have the cap room. If not, the rest of the Eastern Conference may as well shut down operations for the next decade.

West: Utah and Portland are the only teams with a somewhat realistic, albeit very slim chance to knock off the Lakers.

Prediction: Questionable calls by the refs give the Celtics a 7 game victory of the Cavs in the East. The Lakers have trouble in Utah, but take out the Jazz in 6. Kobe Bryant wins his first title without Shaq in 5 or 6 games over the Celts.

Last edited by watravaler : 04-13-2009 at 12:34 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Let's go Magic. Even without Nelson I think the team has a shot at the conference finals despite Boston's experience and savvy. I'm happy they've avoided the Pistons (no matter how much worse they are this season) in the first round.

With the Spurs missing Ginobili the Lakers might have an easy run to the Finals.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
molson
General Manager

You can stick a fork in the Celtics:

Rivers: Garnett likely out for playoffs - Celtics Blog - Boston.com

It seems like Celtics fans expected this, that Rivers has been stringing everyone along on this for whatever reason.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Hopefully Orlando can take advantage of that assuming they get by Philadelphia.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Hopefully Orlando can take advantage of that assuming they get by Philadelphia.

Are Lewis and Turkoglu good to go for the playoffs?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Are Lewis and Turkoglu good to go for the playoffs?

Stan van Gundy: "Well Rashard thought he was going to play and then he went out and warmed up on it, shot on it and decided he couldn’t go. I think he will be and I hope he will be, but I just don’t know at this point. I think they’ll both be ready; I do. But, until it’s game time and they’re out there, I don’t know for sure."

So hopefully.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
whomario
Pro Starter

The 76ers just might be sorry they won yesterday, the Celtics sans Garnett arenīt on orlandoīs level.
The Cavs, despite the loss, got another boost with their bench players stepping up big against the 76ers.

I hate the Portland/Houston matchup, my 2 favourite teams meeting in the first round ...
Houston in 6 years hasnīt figured out how to throw a freaking lob pass or take advantage of teams overplaying Yao. It canīt be that difficult, can it ? And Artest is just a terrible offensive player in a team concept, him shooting 40% as a 6ī8 , 250 bulldozer while shooting 1 legged fadeaways from 20+ foot is just ridiculous.
I just wish the Rockets make it through the first round, Yao deserves it. Say what you want, but the guy is an incredibly hard worker and not half as "fortunate" as people like to make it sound when they say "but heīs 7ī6". For every advantage that brings a disadvantage. Him on defense is like having a 6ī10 PF matching up with Koby or Wade in terms of mobility.

The Blazers depend on playing a true C at all times though, so thatīs good news.

But iīd also like the Blazers to advance because they are just a fun team. And theyīve been really hot lately, some absurd offensive performances considering their slow tempo and improved defense.

And Dallas-San Antonio might be great as well. Dirk seems to play his best against them and heīs scored 20+ in 25 straight games heading into the Playoffs and quietly had a really good season (btw : itīs still mindblowing he averages less than 2 TOs every year as a 7 footer creating his own shot)
Then again the Mavs play 3 PGs together for large stretches of whome none can guard regular PGs (let alone a guy like Parker) and have exactly 1 Swingmen that can play regular minutes.

Thatīs the 2 seriesīs iīm most curious about.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yup Celtics are done for. To bad they did not know sooner they could tanked the latter half of the season to move up in the draft In anycase, they are going to have to start thinking about a replacement for KG and eventually Ray Allen. The NBA is so hard to find stars out of the draft after the lottery picks they will have a hard time. They do have Perkins, Powe and Davis but those names are not going to replace KG production and more importantly his energy.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
The 76ers just might be sorry they won yesterday, the Celtics sans Garnett arenīt on orlandoīs level.
The Cavs, despite the loss, got another boost with their bench players stepping up big against the 76ers.

I hate the Portland/Houston matchup, my 2 favourite teams meeting in the first round ...
Houston in 6 years hasnīt figured out how to throw a freaking lob pass or take advantage of teams overplaying Yao. It canīt be that difficult, can it ? And Artest is just a terrible offensive player in a team concept, him shooting 40% as a 6ī8 , 250 bulldozer while shooting 1 legged fadeaways from 20+ foot is just ridiculous.
I just wish the Rockets make it through the first round, Yao deserves it. Say what you want, but the guy is an incredibly hard worker and not half as "fortunate" as people like to make it sound when they say "but heīs 7ī6". For every advantage that brings a disadvantage. Him on defense is like having a 6ī10 PF matching up with Koby or Wade in terms of mobility.

The Blazers depend on playing a true C at all times though, so thatīs good news.

But iīd also like the Blazers to advance because they are just a fun team. And theyīve been really hot lately, some absurd offensive performances considering their slow tempo and improved defense.

And Dallas-San Antonio might be great as well. Dirk seems to play his best against them and heīs scored 20+ in 25 straight games heading into the Playoffs and quietly had a really good season (btw : itīs still mindblowing he averages less than 2 TOs every year as a 7 footer creating his own shot)
Then again the Mavs play 3 PGs together for large stretches of whome none can guard regular PGs (let alone a guy like Parker) and have exactly 1 Swingmen that can play regular minutes.

Thatīs the 2 seriesīs iīm most curious about.

You for got to mention the Nuggets they maybe the playoffs sleeping giant.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Am I being a massive homer when I, as a Cavs fan, feel no worry about making it to the finals, and am only slightly worried about meeting the Lakers?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would worry about the Lakers, personally. I think the Finals should be no problem for the Cavs.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Am I being a massive homer when I, as a Cavs fan, feel no worry about making it to the finals, and am only slightly worried about meeting the Lakers?

Massive homer, but then again I'm one too.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
heybrad
Norm!!!

I admit right up front that I am a massive Lakers homer, but playing Cleveland in the finals doesn't scare me nearly as much playing Portland in the 2nd round does. The Lakers completely suck donkey balls playing at the Rose Garden. They will have home court, but Portland has been on fire lately.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Massive homer, but then again I'm one too.

The home court advantage is what really gets me jacked. The Lakers are the only team to beat the Cavs when they had Lebron and Moe playing.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the Lakers beat the Cavs in LA by 17, and in Cleveland by 10 in the teams' two matchups this year.

Ain't saying the Lakers would walk over the Cavs in the Finals, but I am saying that being "only slightly worried" about the Lakers is probably massive overconfidence more than massive homerism.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
rjolley
College Starter

With Garnett out or ineffective, it'll be Cavs-Lakers this year, but the Magic will take the Cavs to 7 in an entertaining series. In the end, the Finals will go to 7, with LeBron having just enough firepower to outlast Kobe.

With that said, let's go Bulls!! Pull some upsets!
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I have a feeling that the Pistons are suddenly going to flip the proverbial switch and take the Cavs to seven games.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, but the Lakers beat the Cavs in LA by 17, and in Cleveland by 10 in the teams' two matchups this year.

Ain't saying the Lakers would walk over the Cavs in the Finals, but I am saying that being "only slightly worried" about the Lakers is probably massive overconfidence more than massive homerism.

I'll give you that. I honestly have told a few people lately that I don't think the Cavs will beat the Lakers this year in the Finals. I guess I was just trying to use hyperbole with how I felt that the Cavs were not getting the credit they deserved.

Don't get me wrong. They are getting a lot of credit. But for being the best team in the East by record I don't hear much talk about them. I could be wrong, but hey, I watch a lot of ESPN
Old 04-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Double whammy, first KG, now Danny Ainge has a heart attack
Old 04-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

gah. rough for the celtics.

i can't decide who i want to win out of LA-Cleveland. I think it's one of those cases where I root for the arena to blow up and neither team to win.

But barring that I guess I'd rather have the obnoxious rapist win rather than the ohio-team? I dunno...it's a tough call. Guess that saves me from having to watch anymore basketball unless somebody pulls an upset and knocks one of those teams off.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-16-2009 at 06:23 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

I just hope that if the Cavs make the finals, LeBron shows a little more poise than he did in the Spurs series.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #24
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
gah. rough for the celtics.

i can't decide who i want to win out of LA-Cleveland. I think it's one of those cases where I root for the arena to blow up and neither team to win.

But barring that I guess I'd rather have the obnoxious rapist win rather than the ohio-team? I dunno...it's a tough call. Guess that saves me from having to watch anymore basketball unless somebody pulls an upset and knocks one of those teams off.

This is more like it...back to agreeing w/ you!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #25
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think people are overstating how bad the Celtics are now. I don't think they'll beat the Cavs, but I still think they have a chance to beat Orlando and go to 6 vs. Cleveland.

(Watch them lose in 4 in the first round now)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think people are overstating how bad the Celtics are now. I don't think they'll beat the Cavs, but I still think they have a chance to beat Orlando and go to 6 vs. Cleveland.

no, i think that's what will happen too.

but given how the rest of the year went, if that's what happens you've got to consider that a "bad year" considering what the expectations (and performance all year) were.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #27
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I do like their chances to get by the Bulls, and they probably have a chance to get by Orlando, but I think they're pretty big underdogs.

I'm just hoping for a Paul Pierce superstar run. The defense should still be there with Perk+Rondo, but they'll need some oomph on the offensive side.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #28
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:

but given how the rest of the year went, if that's what happens you've got to consider that a "bad year" considering what the expectations (and performance all year) were.

I am still hoping that the Celtics, down 3-2 to the Cavs in the Eastern Conference Finals have Garnett pull a Willis Reed coming out of the tunnel for the second half and lead them to the NBA Finals
Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's like 5 weeks before the ECF even start. Garnett won't be healthy by then?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There's like 5 weeks before the ECF even start. Garnett won't be healthy by then?

Doc Rivers says he's done for this season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #31
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm not sure what your (or other ppl in Boston's) expectations were, but I seem to remember the Lakers beating us on Christmas and Cleveland smoking us at home 2 weeks later with a healthy KG. Those teams both won 65 games, and I seem to recall many people predicting them to win both preseason and at various times during it. So basically, no, a loss in the ECF to a 67-win team in 6 or 7 games would not be considered a bad year from me. I didn't think we had better than a 50-55% chance of beating Cleveland even with a healthy KG - really they were 1 sublime performance by Pierce from beating us last year with a worse team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Doc Rivers says he's done for this season.
Maybe then Doc could tell us what's actually wrong, and what surgery is needed. If KG needs surgery, fine, do it now so he'll be ready next season. If it's something where it's merely painful to play on and he won't cause any more structural damage, he'll definitely be back. Even if they tell KG he's risking structural damage by playing on it I just can't see a man that competitive not playing. (And I don't think that's the case, or they never would have had him try to come back during the regular season.)
Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think if you won the title in any sport the year before and don't make it back to the championship game/series to defend your title it's generally considered a let-down of a season, no?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #33
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think if you won the title in any sport the year before and don't make it back to the championship game/series to defend your title it's generally considered a let-down of a season, no?
Would Memphis or Kansas have considered a loss in the final 4 a letdown? If the Patriots had won their division and lost in the Conference Championship game after their star player was injured, would that have been a "bad year"? What about when the Lakers and Spurs were the 2 best teams and kept meeting up before the finals?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well obviously i think it's team-specific.

would i as a fan be dissapointed if they don't repeat - yes. based on the injury to their key defensive player and chief matchup-nightmare though, will i understand, and appreciate as far as they do make it though - again yes.

i'm not sitting here throwing stones at them saying "if you don't win you suck." it's more along the lines of "well that was a dissapointing ending considering the talent level of the team and the year that they had"
Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #35
molson
General Manager

They won #17 last year. And if you're a fan of the other Boston teams, it's been an incredible run. It's all gravy now. Here's some rare sansity on this from the Boston media:

Forget a repeat; Celtics are already winners - The Boston Globe

I wouldn't be remotely dissapointed if they lost a tough series to Orlando.

Last edited by molson : 04-17-2009 at 08:13 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #36
Atocep
Coordinator

Dan Patrick just said on his show that Chris Mannix from The Sporting News is saying KG's injury is worse than Boston is letting on. So if they're already saying he's done for the season it leads to believe this is potentially career ending, if Mannix's sources are correct.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #37
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Dan Patrick just said on his show that Chris Mannix from The Sporting News is saying KG's injury is worse than Boston is letting on. So if they're already saying he's done for the season it leads to believe this is potentially career ending, if Mannix's sources are correct.
So it's what, microfracture surgery or some kind of degenerative condition? Then why did they let him try to come back in the regular season? This makes no sense.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #38
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
So it's what, microfracture surgery or some kind of degenerative condition? Then why did they let him try to come back in the regular season? This makes no sense.

The whole thing is just strange. Doc said he looks worse now than he did 2 weeks ago, KG himself hasn't commented, Boston came out of nowhere with this news after trying to play him.

Dan Patrick said Mannix was from Sporting News, but he's from SI and the article below describes his thinking. Basically, if its really bone spurs other trainers say he should be back at some point during the postseason. If they're really shutting him down then it is probably something worse.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ett/index.html

Quote:
Said a trainer, "It's unlikely he can cause more serious damage to the knee by playing. It's just a matter of how much pain he can take."

That comment is what has people thinking its worse.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

As a Celtics fan, I think everything is gravy after winning the title last year. It'll actually be kind of exciting to see what Powe can do now. It's his time to step up.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #40
Groundhog
Coordinator

Last edited by Groundhog : 04-17-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #41
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

the thing is : Without surgery you just donīt know how serious it is. Thatīs the thing with knee injury, every other method isnīt conclusive and often you actually can move on it much better as on comparable ankle injuries (as an example) but you just donīt move as well as you are used to.
And seeing how Garnett is (for good and for worse) as tough and competitive as he is, heīll likely just talked himself into thinking he can play through it. But then when he actually played in games, where there is no faking and holding back, the knee just exploded inside, either aggrevating (a serious sprain into a break) sth or simply getting inflammation on top of the structural problems which than has consequences for the healing process.

@ groundhog :

Iīm not even a Laker Fan, but thatīs great
Old 04-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #42
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Bulls played the first half as solidly as one could hope for. They know they can't get into a half court defensive showdown with the Celtics so every loose rebound they push, push, push the ball down court.

Boston has missed some wideopen shots which you have to assume they will start making in the second half. Should be a fun game to watch.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #43
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This Bulls-Celtics game has been very entertaining so far. I know it is only 1 game, but so far Derrick Rose is looking like he could have a breakout series and carry his team to the 2nd round.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bulls get two rough calls on them (Noah cleanly blocked Davis) and now it's time to see if the young team can keep their composure.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #45
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Derrick Rose is pretty much taking on the Celtics all by himself.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #46
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

What the heck is wrong with Pierce. I haven't seen a guy look so disinterested in the playoffs for awhile. Christ.

Edit: As he scores 2 baskets in a row. Ha.

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 04-18-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #47
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Really Nice back and forth game here.

(edit: Rondo is freaking fearless, and never stops)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-18-2009 at 01:57 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #48
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: Allen with a playoff funk again?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #49
whomario
Pro Starter

look for the bulls take the lead and then Ray Allen will sink them. Book it.

Rose and Rondo both look terrific out there.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Heh. What a shot by Rondo.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote