Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #101
JeeberD
General Manager

Fuckin' Roy. Going back to Houston 1-1...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #102
Groundhog
Coordinator

Shame about Mutombo.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Shame about Mutombo.

Yes it is. ESPN and company usually overhype things, but Mutombo deserves all of the coverage for all he has done off the court as well as being a very good defender.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #104
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just watching the end of the Lakers-Jazz game on my DVR. What was Kobe thinking on that pass with 1:40 left?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #105
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh man. And they praise him to no end when he's getting a technical, too? "Oh he's just trying to psych himself up for Game 3?" Jesus.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #106
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Shame about Mutombo.

Yeah. I lived in Denver in the mid-nineties, so I've followed his career for quite a while. He deserved better than to go out like that...

Old 04-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #107
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Really enjoyed this article by Bill Simmons, looking forward to the game tonight:

Bill Simmons: Why Celtics-Bulls could be one for the ages - ESPN
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #108
rjolley
College Starter

Good article by Simmons. I could barely hold my laughter on point 10 and the end of point 7.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Another nice shot by Iggy. I wish they had taken better care of the earlier big lead, but overall this has been a fun game to watch.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #110
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Bad turnover there...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #111
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If they could make free throws this half it would have been over.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #112
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

No kidding

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #113
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How was that not an intentional foul? I guess they never call those, realistically

SI

Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thaddeus Young!!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #115
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sweet finish, not sure how there wasn't a foul there but I'll take it.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #116
cuervo72
Head Coach

Provisionist history? Really, Van Gundy?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #117
Philliesfan980
Banned

How is Orlando not running away with this series? I predict a monster game for Howard in game 4.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #118
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Did the league issue a mandate that the Magic have to win tonight? How many fouls has Howard gotten away with tonight?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #119
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Celtics/Bulls was a good one today.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great pass by Iguodala to Dalembert. I can't believe the Sixers could go up 3-1 on the Magic.

Edit: Darn.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #121
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Wow that was some shot by Turkalo
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #122
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Get in there Hedo
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #123
miami_fan
Coordinator

What a shot by Turkoglu
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #124
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

2-2 and Orlando has home court again, hopefully they can win it now. That winning shot might be what Turkoglu needs to get him back on track, he also had a nice layup + foul with a few minutes left.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #125
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Celtics/Bulls was a good one today.

Despite the loss, Rondo was amazing again. I really have enjoyed seeing the improvement in his game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #126
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Can I petition the NBA to remove about half of the timeouts in a game?

SI

Old 04-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #127
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Can I petition the NBA to remove about half of the timeouts in a game?

SI

I try to defend the NBA when I can, as I truly feel that the league has made improvements in the past decade, but I can definitely agree with you there.

It is supremely exciting to see a team hit a shot with a little time left, and see the opposing team immediately inbound it and rush down the floor.

Cut each team down to one timeout in the last two minutes, as you do with fouls. If that seems too strict, give them one full and one :20 timeout. I'd rather just let each team have one full TO in the last 2 minutes. It would add a breathlessness to the end of games that would be invigorating.

EDIT: redundant adverbs

Last edited by Karlifornia : 04-26-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #128
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I still can't get over the rule that allows you to call a timeout and get the ball at the other end of the court at the top of the 3-point line.

Last edited by mauchow : 04-26-2009 at 10:58 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #129
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it was just brutal watching the end of the Rockets-Blazers

SI

Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #130
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The TV timeouts in the last 2 minutes are way too taxing. I know that they probably make a shit ton more money for those slots(Jon?) but for fucks sake, it shouldn't take 20 minutes to play less than a minute of game action. Let them have the timeout, or halfcourt advance, but not both. I think that would fix the tediousness.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know that they probably make a shit ton more money for those slots(Jon?)

To some extent possibly (never bought the NBA) but while there's some placement available on a national basis (think season-long advertisers who want a guaranteed 4th quarter spot) it's relatively minimal since it's hard to guarantee there will be anything more than X number of spots available You can't buy something like "last timeout" because you don't know when the last timeout will actually be.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #132
whomario
Pro Starter

Homer Post coming :

Rockets sure escaped one yesterday. For a analytical observer (coaching) Yao´s play has been stellar, don´t let the numbers fool you. The guy is dictating everything the Blazers are doing on both ends of the courts ever since that 7/7 first quarter.
Yesterday he also made a smart adjustment, getting early post position (seriously, a 7´6 guy was often the first or 2nd player up the court) and instead of getting into arm-wrestling matches to get position from behind just sidestepped the Portland Bigs and then sealed them off. Still the Blazers played great defense on him, although at some point should have realized that for once the referees actually blew their whistles when they basically wrapped him with both hands.

Plus he challenges everyone driving at him, isn´t the least bit rattled when teams attack him. Like in game 3 when Oden tried to draw a foul on him and tried to back him down at all costs he didn´t move an inch and all 3 tries resulted in Oden not even getting of a coordinated shot. Just cause he doesn´t jump high and manically screams at people doesn´t mean he´s not a tough and very good defensive player.
Because for all the credit Artest and Battier deserve defending Roy and Scola defending Aldridge, it´s only possible because they can channel Roy right into Yao (and where Yao is doing an incredible job moving his feet and challenging up top instead of reaching down) and because Yao gets over to pick Aldridge up everytime he makes a move.
Or all the times tonight Outlaw beat his man off the dribble only to see Yao coming up and then stop to shoot a jumper.

Yeah, i´ve long been a fan of the guy, since he entered the league basically, and if you want to call me a homer go ahead...

But seriously, his impact is so much bigger than when you look at him averaging 15/11 this series.

His offensive impact is just invaluable to all the other Rockets. Tonight again he created a ton of open opportunities for the Rocket 4-men, Van Wafer was wide open everytime he put the ball on the floor because of Yao´s presence and in the 4th quarter those offensive rebounds were in large part due to the Blazer concentrating on Yao, allowing guys like Scola, Landry and Artest to come from the weaskside and crash the boards.
And then he´s much more patient on offense, never gets frustrated. He doesn´t stop working just because he doesn´t get the ball, doesn´t foul out of frustration and forces the issue but just does his part. That´s sth you can´t value high enough in terms of team chemistry.

He´s also presenting himself as a leader more than ever before. In games he´s directing traffic, talking to guys when they are in a slump and outside his interviews are pure determination.
And then last night he plays 44 freaking minutes as a 7´6/310 behemoth working his ass off on both ends on every single posession. I´ve seldomly see a big Center work as hard as he does every night. I can´t get over the fact that on a couple of occasions he was basically the first one up the court.
His teammates will throw themselves in front of a bus for him, he´s their leader now and not just a talented player.

He really is that teams´s foundation and just for his sake it would be great for the Rockets to reach the 2nd round, he flat out deserves it.

He´s not the only deciding factor and that´s great about the Rockets. They are a team without a true superstar (Yao isn´t, he has too many limitations really) but with a ton of hard-nosed players that know their role and execute. A couple sparkplugs, a couple decently skilled offensive players, a few very good defensive players. And then Yao Ming in the middle of it. And Ron Artest who´s an idiot. But a fun idiot that for some reason adds to that team and is well established. Go figure. Ah well, as long as it helps the others play better : chuck along, Ron.

And how great is Battier ? Seriously, coaches would kill to have that guy on their team. Just unbelievable. They should start giving out a new award and name it after him. "Shane Battier Award for Team Player of the Year" or sth like that.
That guy will make a great 2nd career at whatever he chooses, be it Basketball (coaching, scouting, TV) or whatever else he chooses.

Overall theese Playoffs have been a ton of fun thus far.

How about Boston-Chicago ? What a great series ! Although both teams defense is borderline pathetic, especially in transition. The Coach in me throws up a little every game ... Rondo has been spectacular, averaging 23/11/10 in the 4 games. Not bad for a skinny PG without a jump shot to speak of
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #133
JeeberD
General Manager

Hey, another Rockets fan. How about that?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #134
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, who knew

SI

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #135
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Denver is up 50+ on the road, unless nba.com's scoring updater is messed up. Shocking.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Denver is up 50+ on the road, unless nba.com's scoring updater is messed up. Shocking.

That does not appear to be an error.
Denver Nuggets vs. New Orleans Hornets - Box Score - April 27, 2009 - ESPN

Denver was up 61-39 at the half, outscored 'em 50-16 in the second half so far.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #137
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

This has to be some kind of record for a road playoff win depending on how it ends.

edit: Tied for the largest margin of victory in NBA playoff history. 121-63.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-27-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #138
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Nuggets can make a serious run at LA if they keep playing this way and Billups continues to be such a solid leader
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #139
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

So, I attended the Bulls/Celtics game last night.

And I took a date, who jokingly told me on the way inside that she was bad luck. I thought she was kidding but I noticed everytime we sat in our seats, the Celtics kept making a run. And then when me and her would get up to get some beer or make a bathroom run, we'd come back and the Bulls would be leading. This went on during three seperate occasions when in the 3rd quarter, somehow this girl (and a few beers I'm assuming) convinced me that in the best interests for the Bulls winning, we better leave our seats and watch the game in the bars on the lower level of the stadium.

So I watched the entire 4th quarter and both overtimes at the Budweiser Pubs in the 108 section. But we won.

So I'm confused, do I ask her out again even though she caused me to miss sitting in my seat and witnessing in person one of the best games in recent times? Or do I take the fact that we ended up winning the game once we left those said seats as a positive sign.

I'll be at the game again on Thursday, what to do, what to do.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #140
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

did she put out?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #141
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
did she put out?

Yeah, how can you expect an opinion from us on this matter when important facts have been left out?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yeah, how can you expect an opinion from us on this matter when important facts have been left out?

exactly.

A handjob on the way home probably gets her into the next game.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #143
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The Nuggets can make a serious run at LA if they keep playing this way and Billups continues to be such a solid leader

They can push it to 6 you think?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #144
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I was in the New Orleans Arena tonight for this debacle. I can vouch for the fact that the score is correct. Denver is playing really well, but they were fortunate to draw an imploding, crippled team in round one. Even if you put the worst team in the NBA against the best, if it gets beyond about 25 points then there is some quitting involved. So you can do the math on a 58-point loss at home in the goddamn playoffs. The Hornets are a mess.

It was interesting to hear Bill Simmons on his podcast, before the playoffs started, essentially picking the Hornets in this series. Neither he nor his guest had any idea how serious Chandler's injuries are. I find that to be the prevailing national opinion (judging from the completely laughable, uninformed reactions after the aborted trade). It's the only thing that gives me any hope that MAYBE we can find a gullible team to unload this lemon on in the offseason.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #145
whomario
Pro Starter

I sure hope Iverson has been watching last nights game out of old interest for his former team :

And no, that´s not photshopped but actual ABC footage Yeah, i know Detroit did it for the salary Cap but it sure as hell is some cold shit by ABC

In other news the Lakers beat the Jazz to advance yesterday, not 100% convincingly but still an easy victory despite Bynum´s continuing struggles.
And Atlanta finally won a road game and showed some fight against adversity.

Tonight i hope for wins by Dallas, Orlando and Houston. Would be fine with either Bos or Chi as long as they make for another huge game

whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #146
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
So I'm confused, do I ask her out again even though she caused me to miss sitting in my seat and witnessing in person one of the best games in recent times? Or do I take the fact that we ended up winning the game once we left those said seats as a positive sign.

I'll be at the game again on Thursday, what to do, what to do.

Take one for the team. Bring her along but you're going to have to accept that you need to make a sacrifice for the good of your fandom as a whole and watch most of the game not from your seats.

Myself, my wife, and a friend of mine have a similar superstition at Royals games where if we got up in the visiting team's half of the inning to go to the bathroom, grab food, etc- they would invariably score. So, we had to always get up in the KC half of the inning to avoid this karmic wrath

SI

Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #147
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I don't think that I have ever seen an entire team quit like that. In a home playoff game even.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #148
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: I just remembered the Mets in September these last two seasons so maybe I have seen one other team quit like that.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #149
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Wow, I don't think that I have ever seen an entire team quit like that. In a home playoff game even.

I wasn't really thinking about this as a viable possibility before, but I just don't know how you can keep Byron Scott around after that display. I know he was COY last season, but when the team tunes you out, you're tuned out and that's that...

We'll probably take crap from the national media for it, but I just can't see how you can bring him back for another year after that.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #150
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
I wasn't really thinking about this as a viable possibility before, but I just don't know how you can keep Byron Scott around after that display. I know he was COY last season, but when the team tunes you out, you're tuned out and that's that...

We'll probably take crap from the national media for it, but I just can't see how you can bring him back for another year after that.

I don't think COY will make a difference one way or the other. If they fired Scott, that would 6 of the last 7 COYs that are no longer with the team they won the award with.