Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #401
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In other news, Howard was just trying to scratch an itch on the tip of his elbow with that move. Come on, anyone woulda done that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #402
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I recorded the game so I ran the replays in slow-mo. I'm sure it'll be discussed a lot on sports sites (except ESPN) tomorrow.

You must not have turned on the TV or opened your web browser after Game 5 if you think ESPN isn't going to be discussing this. "Was Rondo's foul on Miller a flagrant" was non-freaking stop coverage during the live sportscenters' that they do during the day, and front page story on espn.com for much of the day with the various NBA analysts opinions prominently featured. And holy crap once Bill Simmons weighed in on it it went right back up to the top of the page, with Simmons column MORE prominently displayed than the opinions of the analysts (I don't hate Simmons, I hate ESPN giving a homer of a specific team/city who belongs on Page 2 with the other offbeat content front page billing).

I'm quite sure that if I have a lot of work to do during the day tomorrow and have ESPN on in the background I will get to hear no fewer than 10 different people discuss whether he should be suspended.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #403
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
You must not have turned on the TV or opened your web browser after Game 5 if you think ESPN isn't going to be discussing this. "Was Rondo's foul on Miller a flagrant" was non-freaking stop coverage during the live sportscenters' that they do during the day, and front page story on espn.com for much of the day with the various NBA analysts opinions prominently featured. And holy crap once Bill Simmons weighed in on it it went right back up to the top of the page, with Simmons column MORE prominently displayed than the opinions of the analysts (I don't hate Simmons, I hate ESPN giving a homer of a specific team/city who belongs on Page 2 with the other offbeat content front page billing).

I'm quite sure that if I have a lot of work to do during the day tomorrow and have ESPN on in the background I will get to hear no fewer than 10 different people discuss whether he should be suspended.

Oh, did Rondo do something with Miller Tuesday? Funny, I didn't see anything on ESPN.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #404
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Different situations. Doesn't ABC have the rights to Game 7? Don't you think they want Rando playing?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #405
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Different situations. Doesn't ABC have the rights to Game 7? Don't you think they want Rando playing?

Does anything ever happen in sports or sports reporting that isn't some massive manipulation or conspiracy to you?

I dunno I'd assume they want people consuming their content on ESPN so they'd discuss the big stories of the day. After all this would allow them to hype game 7 incessantly if it is on one of their networks.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #406
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Does anything ever happen in sports or sports reporting that isn't some massive manipulation or conspiracy to you?

I dunno I'd assume they want people consuming their content on ESPN so they'd discuss the big stories of the day. After all this would allow them to hype game 7 incessantly if it is on one of their networks.

Take a guess as to why ESPN hardly covers hockey these days.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #407
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
looked to me like the two were tangled up and in the process of getting untangled and trying to run back and gain an advantage on each other rondo (obviously) was trying to throw him off. i'd probably do the same thing. it's a "get the heck off me and let me get back down the floor" move

HAHAHAHAHAH.

Funny shit DT.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #408
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah..Rondo chucked him. If I was the ref, I would have tossed him after seeing the replay.

But....let's just take the day and brace ourselves for Game 7, shall we?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:49 AM   #409
larnott
n00b

Quote:

TNT has Game 7, but I'm sure they wanted "Rando" to play too.
larnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #410
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
In an unrelated story, Turkoglu got thrown out of the game tonight for getting in the face of Dalembert. No punches, no fight, just getting in his face and touching chests. Go figure.

You should have stopped at an unrelated story. Turkoglu was not tossed for getting in Dalembert's face. He received a technical. Seeing that he was his second T, THAT is why he was ejected the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #411
whomario
Pro Starter

Artest and Yao at the postgame press conference :

that was actually pretty damn funny by Ron Ron On saving a ball late in the 4th and going into the stands

"Well, i´ve been in the stands before ..."

Yao : "but this time at home court"

Artest : "one guy offered me a beer, no one threw one at me. I was to take a sip, but there´s too many cameras"

Crazy Pills FTW

Rondo really had a strange game. Looked pretty riled up and out of whack, flustered on his drives and everything. But still 19 Assists on ZERO Turnovers, that´s pretty good for a PG that looks out of sync ... Should have been ejcted and should be suspended. That wasn´t a basketball play and could have resulted in serious injury for Hinrich. Plus pushing/moving/swinging guys towards the sidelines/stands is pretty much a no-no .
I mean, Robert Horry did get 2 games for hipchecking Nash into the scorers table on Nash´s dribble.

Yeah, would be kind of less fun if he wouldn´t play, but that´s his fault.

Brad Miller was a bad man yesterday, too. That was cold blooded what he did at the FT line and on that 3 and that drive. Especially after he couldn´t get done much offensively, was terrible late in games and then the bloody mouth incident. Impressed the hell out of me.

Last edited by whomario : 05-01-2009 at 08:09 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #412
molson
General Manager

Quote:

How do you think this is done, league memos to referees, or just a wink-wink-nod-nod, sack of money with a dollar sign in a tree stump arrangement?

I used to be very suspicious of the NBA, until all of those referees got in trouble for tax fraud. I thought that if they had that ace in their pocket, that the NBA was rigging games, they certainly would have used it with the feds then.

I know that Tim Donaghy made allegations about that Kings/Lakers game 6 (just as I thought those tax frauds referees would do, if there was really funny business). Obviously that didn't go anywhere, and Donaghy isn't exactly credible (though I realize that it's the sleazy, non-credible types that usually know the dirt - see Jose Conseco).

I mean, the NBA/networks rigging games is a serious, serious allegation. That's life-in-prison type stuff, end of North American professional sports forever type stuff. Do you really think the risk of that is worth the .05 rating jump or whatever a game 7 gets over regular programming? How do you keep the referees/network employees quiet?

It just doesn't add up to be as a practical plan for the NBA and the networks to get involved in something that ridiculous. I do though, think the NBA has done an amazing job somehow sweeping under the rug that a referee rigged games and got caught!! How did that not harm the league more? It's always in the back of my mind when I watch the NBA.

Last edited by molson : 05-01-2009 at 08:35 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #413
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I keep hearing about how great this series has been, so I decided to check in. 3 OTs. It's certainly living up to the billing, but the constant timeouts and stoppages and commercial breaks makes what should be a thrilling game completely stilted and boring.

All the timeouts actually made me miserable by the time the 3rd OT rolled around. I just wanted the fuckin thing to end and didn't care about seeing anything exciting anymore.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #414
molson
General Manager

I don't watch sports live anymore. It's like I have extra hours in a day.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #415
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
How do you think this is done, league memos to referees, or just a wink-wink-nod-nod, sack of money with a dollar sign in a tree stump arrangement?

I used to be very suspicious of the NBA, until all of those referees got in trouble for tax fraud. I thought that if they had that ace in their pocket, that the NBA was rigging games, they certainly would have used it with the feds then.

I know that Tim Donaghy made allegations about that Kings/Lakers game 6 (just as I thought those tax frauds referees would do, if there was really funny business). Obviously that didn't go anywhere, and Donaghy isn't exactly credible (though I realize that it's the sleazy, non-credible types that usually know the dirt - see Jose Conseco).

I mean, the NBA/networks rigging games is a serious, serious allegation. That's life-in-prison type stuff, end of North American professional sports forever type stuff. Do you really think the risk of that is worth the .05 rating jump or whatever a game 7 gets over regular programming? How do you keep the referees/network employees quiet?

It just doesn't add up to be as a practical plan for the NBA and the networks to get involved in something that ridiculous. I do though, think the NBA has done an amazing job somehow sweeping under the rug that a referee rigged games and got caught!! How did that not harm the league more? It's always in the back of my mind when I watch the NBA.

First off, games were rigged. A 13-year NBA official was convicted of gambling. He bet on games that he officiated. He passed along information on refs and players to his handlers. Statistical analysis of his games showed a very high probability that those games were fixed. So lets not act like the NBA has not had fixed games before.

As for throwing games, I don't think it's a simple "hey make sure the Lakers win on Sunday". They assign officials they know call games certain ways to get the outcome they want. There are certain officials like Joey Crawford who they know doesn't handle home crowds well and calls in favor of the home team (you can look at his statistics on a number of betting sites). He will get assigned to a lot of Game 6's where it benefits the NBA to have the home team win and force a Game 7. Is Joey Crawford cheating? No. Does the league factor in what's in their best interest when assigning refs to games? I believe so.

Now there have been a lot of controversial games. The Kings-Lakers game is probably the most used. I've seen that game multiple times and I'm still convinced it was thrown. Whether that came from the NBA or just a crooked official (Donaghy did officiate it) I don't know. I do know that Donaghy did say games were fixed by a few refs who were "company men". I also know that the games that have the most controversial officials all seem to involve the same refs (Salvatore, Bevetta, Crawford, Donaghy, etc). Now most of these refs are rated very poorly throughout the league yet seem to get the most important games every year. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want your highest rated officials on the court for the biggest games.

Whatever you believe though, I still find the Donaghy story the most underated sports story in decades. Yes it got air play, but it should have been enormous. A 13-year NBA official who was involved in some of the biggest games was caught betting on those games. How is that not Pete Rose times 100? The entire integrity of the NBA just got shot in the face. I felt ESPN didn't go too deep into it because of their relationship with the NBA. The company that has to inform me of ever bowel movement TO makes couldn't research the games he officiated and come up with some statistics?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #416
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larnott View Post
TNT has Game 7, but I'm sure they wanted "Rando" to play too.
I was wrong and pretty drunk last night. Still haven't seen them talk about it on ESPN all day.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #417
molson
General Manager

Quote:
First off, games were rigged. A 13-year NBA official was convicted of gambling. He bet on games that he officiated. He passed along information on refs and players to his handlers. Statistical analysis of his games showed a very high probability that those games were fixed. So lets not act like the NBA has not had fixed games before.

As for throwing games, I don't think it's a simple "hey make sure the Lakers win on Sunday". They assign officials they know call games certain ways to get the outcome they want. There are certain officials like Joey Crawford who they know doesn't handle home crowds well and calls in favor of the home team (you can look at his statistics on a number of betting sites). He will get assigned to a lot of Game 6's where it benefits the NBA to have the home team win and force a Game 7. Is Joey Crawford cheating? No. Does the league factor in what's in their best interest when assigning refs to games? I believe so.

Now there have been a lot of controversial games. The Kings-Lakers game is probably the most used. I've seen that game multiple times and I'm still convinced it was thrown. Whether that came from the NBA or just a crooked official (Donaghy did officiate it) I don't know. I do know that Donaghy did say games were fixed by a few refs who were "company men". I also know that the games that have the most controversial officials all seem to involve the same refs (Salvatore, Bevetta, Crawford, Donaghy, etc). Now most of these refs are rated very poorly throughout the league yet seem to get the most important games every year. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want your highest rated officials on the court for the biggest games.

Whatever you believe though, I still find the Donaghy story the most underated sports story in decades. Yes it got air play, but it should have been enormous. A 13-year NBA official who was involved in some of the biggest games was caught betting on those games. How is that not Pete Rose times 100? The entire integrity of the NBA just got shot in the face. I felt ESPN didn't go too deep into it because of their relationship with the NBA. The company that has to inform me of ever bowel movement TO makes couldn't research the games he officiated and come up with some statistics?

Interesting points. Especially combined with the fact that the NBA has refused, even in light of the Donaghy thing, to make referee evaluation/assignments the responsibility of some independent entity, when that was suggested.

But I don't think Donaghy rigging games necessarily equates to "the NBA rigging games". Dongahy had nothing substantial on the NBA to save his own ass. I always assumed with him it was a money thing, but who knows.

Certainly, the NBA hasn't done much to quiet the suspicions (though I totally agree with you that it's AMAZING the Donaghy thing didn't get more play). For me, it was a huge deal, even somewhat tainting the Celts' championship last year. Who knows if they didn't get help from crooked refs?

Is there any evidence that the NBA goes 7 games more often than the NHL, or MLB?

Last edited by molson : 05-01-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #418
RainMaker
General Manager

Robert Horry received 2 games for this:

&nbsp
&nbsp

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-01-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #419
RainMaker
General Manager

Rondo misses with his shot to the face thanks to an official holding him back.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #420
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Chicago and Boston are showing how to put on a good seven game series. Miami and Atlanta could learn a few things from them.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #421
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
The company that has to inform me of ever bowel movement TO makes couldn't research the games he officiated and come up with some statistics?

according to the ESPN crawl, to solid, he should eat more veggies. and it was obvious ESPN tanked the story.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #422
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty freakish summary of the Heat-Hawks series from the Atlanta beat writer's blog

Quote:
Had the Hawks won Friday, they would’ve flown to Cleveland after the game. Instead, it’s quite possibly the strangest 3-3 series in NBA playoff history. The final point spreads have been 26, 15, 29, 10, 15 and 26.

“This series has been a little bit schizophrenic,” said Miami coach Erik Spoelstra.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #423
RainMaker
General Manager

It's a really odd series. It's too bad the games haven't been closer. I think it would be cool to see a Lebron/Wade second round matchup though I don't think the Heat have a chance. The Hawks on the other hand are an odd team. They seem to step up in the playoffs and are real physical. They also create some tough matchups. If they can beat up on Lebron a little, it could be a real interesting series.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #424
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Boston - Chicago game six was the most watched first round game on cable TV in league history with 5.35 million viewers.

si.com link
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #425
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was hoping the Hawks would close out tonight. I want no part of D Whistle and the insane amount of cheap fouls he draws.

You can't play the Heat close, cause if you breathe on the guy, he's going to the line.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #426
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I was hoping the Hawks would close out tonight. I want no part of D Whistle and the insane amount of cheap fouls he draws.

You can't play the Heat close, cause if you breathe on the guy, he's going to the line.

I found this to be quite ironic.

=)
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:00 AM   #427
whomario
Pro Starter

Why is everyone concentrating on/being obsessed with that "ellbow" Rondo threw ? Seriously, no way that was an attempt to hit Hinrich with an ellbow.

The action before was the problem and imo just not a basketball play which imo should automatically lead to an ejection + X .
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #428
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Boston - Chicago game six was the most watched first round game on cable TV in league history with 5.35 million viewers.

si.com link

Well, when you're broadcasting for 7 hours there's a good chance a lot of people will tune in at some point.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #429
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I found this to be quite ironic.

=)

Shhhh. I like double standards.

See 2006 nba finals for Wade
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #430
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Celtics not looking good so far. Bulls up 9-2.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #431
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

How about that block by Rose?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #432
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Great play, although it looks like he got part of Scal's hand.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #433
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Bulls aren't even bothering to defend Scalabrine when he sits on the outside. No one is close to him. He can hit those shots, so they need to pass it to him every single time until they respect him. Otherwise, we're playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #434
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They're playing the fucking Crazy Frog Axel F? Argh

Maybe I'm biased (yes, of course I'm biased), but if I was a Bulls fan, I do not like their body language right now. They're not up for game 7 at the moment.

The Celtics are playing inside and just wanting it more
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #435
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

dola: Anyone who thinks the refs are biased to boston.. look at points in the paint (Boston +20 some odd), and Free Throws (something like Chicago 3 to 1 ratio more)
Old 05-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #436
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Pop Quiz Hotshot Bulls Fans. Was THAT a flagrant? (at least be consistent here, the way they've been calling it, the answers no to me, it's a hard playoff foul, but if you call Rondo's swipe flagrant in Game 5, this one is more obvious.)
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #437
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That was Stupid of Rajan
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #438
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
dola: Anyone who thinks the refs are biased to boston...

Quote:
Pop Quiz Hotshot Bulls Fans...

For someone rooting for the team that's supposed to win and is fighting off a rather poor underdog, you sure seem to have a pretty big chip on your shoulder about things
Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #439
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Big Baby has really come a long way since his little crying fit earlier this season.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #440
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mostly Bulls fans elsewhere (the ones who are saying Stern and the Celtics are in cahoots, yadda yadda yadda )
Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #441
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For someone rooting for the team that's supposed to win and is fighting off a rather poor underdog, you sure seem to have a pretty big chip on your shoulder about things

without garnett (and to a lesser extent powe) the teams are a lot more even then their seedings would indicate
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #442
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

here we go. 4th quarter. we really need to start hitting FT's
Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #443
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

agree with the T on House, but that should be a double T, look at the Bulls Bench screaming invectives at him as he prepares to take the shot
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #444
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Ben Gordon is going to shoot the Bulls out of this one.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #445
hoopsguy
General Manager

Celts have done a nice job of exploiting double teams most of the game. Bulls really have not been able to stop C's much at all.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #446
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Hinrich has balls.

I like balls.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #447
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

wow, they give the Bulls a bonus point from the first quarter. Heh.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #448
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And now it's down to a 3 point game

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #449
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Boston trying to give the game away but Bulls look like they just don't have any legs left.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #450
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
wow, they give the Bulls a bonus point from the first quarter. Heh.

It's good to get the correct call, but there has to be a time limit on review.