Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2003, 12:04 AM   #51
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hatcher is one of the few left on Dallas that I can truly root against. Modano scares the shit out of me, and would probably be my choice if I had to start a team from scratch right now. Turco just isn't as much fun to knock on as Belfour was and Oiler killer Hogue is gone. At least they picked up Claude so I can heckle somebody during the game once Derian gets himself tossed

One down, three to go, come on Oil!

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:21 AM   #52
bbor
Pro Starter

I love Roman Chechmanik

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:24 AM   #53
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola....

I know it's early..but..are there any Senators fans who's collars are getting *cough* too *cough* tight*cough*

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:43 AM   #54
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Chechmanek. Wow. A modern day Jim Carey of sorts. What'd he stop 10 shots? Very, very sad. The Leafs will need Chechmanek to continue to be playing at this level, especially with the loss of Antropov and the likely loss of Tucker. Man, poor Maple Leafs, each year... injury ravaged.

Go Oil!

The Senators. This could be another choking situation. They have and do remind me of the old early-to-mid 90's Wings teams. So much skill. So much talent. Breezing past the regular season only to choke in the play-offs. It took Bowman and every ounce of leadership Steve Yzerman had (which is more than any man) to get them out of that slump. Dunno if the Senators have it in them or not. No reason to start ringing the death toll quite yet, though. The Sens can bounce back. Heck, the Hurricanes even won game one of the Finals last year. It happens.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:45 AM   #55
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
Damn, one year away from the playoffs and I almost forgot how much I hate Derian Hatcher. Sure fells good hating him again when the Oil win!

Yeah, I hate Derian Hatcher. I'm hoping he actually managed to get himself suspended for a game or two with that flagrant elbow. What kind of idiot "Captain" makes that kind of move late in a 1-goal game in the playoffs?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:14 AM   #56
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Travis, ok, I'll be even more blunt for you, I've never thought much of Salo and I don't put much stock into letting in a fluke goal in the olympics, that stuff happens.

Well, one game up, lets see what Edmonton can do with it

I don't understand the Leaf fans being too excited, that game was pretty damn close, if that shot that hit the cross bar had went in, the final might have been 5-3 Philly, that series is probably headed for 7 games.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:58 AM   #57
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
I know it's early..but..are there any Senators fans who's collars are getting *cough* too *cough* tight*cough*
I live in Ottawa. I'd describe the mood here as being calm, but on the verge of full-scale panic. If they manage to lose game two, fans will be looking for a Jacques Martin statue to beat with their shoes.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:04 AM   #58
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Screw you guys. This isn't over...not by a long shot.
About Salo...he was decent last night, but mostly very lucky.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:10 AM   #59
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
Yeah, I hate Derian Hatcher. I'm hoping he actually managed to get himself suspended for a game or two with that flagrant elbow. What kind of idiot "Captain" makes that kind of move late in a 1-goal game in the playoffs?

Don't hold your breath on him getting suspended. He disguised it enough that they will turn their heads, even if Staios is concussion prone. It sucks, because Hatcher could have turned his brain into swiss cheese, but until the NHL finds some consistancy this sort of thing will continue to happen.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:22 AM   #60
ACStrider
High School JV

It kinda stinks that I can't follow my Stars by TV (kinda hard when you don't have one). Fortunately the Stars site has a live audio feed. I'm with those of you who don't like Hatcher, but even more so I can't stand Lemieux. It killed me to see the Stars trade for him.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:36 AM   #61
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Leafs aren't going to be ANY fun without Darcy "Dr Dirty" Tucker not around making cheap shots and diving every chance he gets.

if that asshole is gone, I can't have as much fun rooting against them.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #62
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Screw you guys. This isn't over...not by a long shot.
About Salo...he was decent last night, but mostly very lucky.

That's right, instead of 4 or 5 games, it will take Dallas 5 or 6 games to knock Edmonton out. Remember last year when Vancouver had Detroit 2 down?
Old 04-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #63
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
That's right, instead of 4 or 5 games, it will take Dallas 5 or 6 games to knock Edmonton out. Remember last year when Vancouver had Detroit 2 down?

Yeah, I remember that. But the second period scared me...they had no heart. It showed through at times this season, especially when Tugnutt was in goal, and no heart is almost impossible to overcome. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:33 AM   #64
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

As has been the case for the last 7 years, Edmonton is capable of beating Dallas when 2 things happen:

1) Edmonton plays a perfect game
and
2) Dallas plays an average or worse game

The problem here is that it is very difficult to play 4 perfect games out of 7, never mind hoping that your opponent doesn't also play outstanding in any of those 4 games.

Edmonton pulled it off 7 years ago, but haven't since. Can they do it this year? Yes, but the odds are against them.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:35 AM   #65
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, I remember that. But the second period scared me...they had no heart. It showed through at times this season, especially when Tugnutt was in goal, and no heart is almost impossible to overcome. I hope I'm wrong.

Sach, you are just nervous because it's your team. I know the feeling, I'm a bundle of nerves for tonights Gopher game.

I'd like nothing better than Edmonton knocking out Dallas, I just don't see it happening.

BTW, don't people down there wear Stars gear? From what I see on tv, it's all corporate pukes. Button downs and khakis, where are the friggin jerseys?! Or, are all the real fans in the upper level?
Old 04-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #66
ice4277
Pro Rookie

A couple thoughts:

Ottawa will come back and win this series but is going to lose to the winner of Toronto/Philly, if that's who they end up playing. Honolulu took the words right out of my mouth, watching them is like watching the Wings team of the early nineties that would have one of the top 3 records in the league every year, and get knocked out in the first two rounds. Lots of talent but no grit whatsoever.

Toronto was lucky to win, but I think Philly will come back and win Game 2. Hopefully this series goes seven, it has all the signs of being a classic.

Edmonton snuck in and caught the Stars off their game, but I don't think it will matter in the end, I still see the Stars winning this series in 5 or 6. This may sound stupid but I think the only chance the Oilers have of winning this series is if they can manage to win game 2 in Dallas.

Boston and New Jersey, sorry, but I have absolutely no interest in this series. Second-least exciting series after Washington-Tampa Bay.

Hopefully tonight's games will provide more of the excitement of last night, except for the Wings game; a boring 5-0 Detroit victory will suffice
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Sach, you are just nervous because it's your team. I know the feeling, I'm a bundle of nerves for tonights Gopher game.

I'd like nothing better than Edmonton knocking out Dallas, I just don't see it happening.

BTW, don't people down there wear Stars gear? From what I see on tv, it's all corporate pukes. Button downs and khakis, where are the friggin jerseys?! Or, are all the real fans in the upper level?

This has always bugged me a bit. Granted, I have and have had multiple Wings' jersies since I was a wee lad. My first, I think, was a Petr Klima jersey. Ahh... So much talent for a while there.

Anyway, do people always assume that a fat, beer-swilling guy in the upper-deck with an XXL hockey jersey stretched across his giant beer-belly is a better fan than someone who had to rush to the game, straight from work, dressed in a button-down shirt and khaki trousers?
Old 04-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #68
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
This has always bugged me a bit. Granted, I have and have had multiple Wings' jersies since I was a wee lad. My first, I think, was a Petr Klima jersey. Ahh... So much talent for a while there.

Anyway, do people always assume that a fat, beer-swilling guy in the upper-deck with an XXL hockey jersey stretched across his giant beer-belly is a better fan than someone who had to rush to the game, straight from work, dressed in a button-down shirt and khaki trousers?

This has always bugged me a bit. Granted, I have drank a couple of beers since I was a wee lad.

Anyway, do people always assume that a guy wearing a jersey is a fat beer drinking guy?

BTW, Jerseys do fit over the button down, I see lots of them at the X and Mariucci

Last edited by Cards4ever : 04-10-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Cards4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:40 AM   #69
bbor
Pro Starter

Sach...Sorry...but Hatcher will get at LEAST 1 game if not 2......If it was regular season he prolly gets 5.It was a pretty visious elbow IMHO.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:45 AM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
This has always bugged me a bit. Granted, I have drank a couple of beers since I was a wee lad.

Anyway, do people always assume that a guy wearing a jersey is a fat beer drinking guy?

BTW, Jerseys do fit over the button down, I see lots of them at the X and Mariucci

Ok, so maybe the guy in the jersey is skinny and has bad facial hair and a mullet.

Jersey's do fit over the button down. Back in the day I used to bring the jersey to work and slide it over before heading out to games.

Then again, a jersey or lack there for does not a fan make. Especially when talking about Wings' fans. There are just too many jersey's out there. When jerseys for third and fourth line guys (tough guys excluded) start selling like hot cakes, you know there are too many jerseys floating around.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #71
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ok, so maybe the guy in the jersey is skinny and has bad facial hair and a mullet.

Jersey's do fit over the button down. Back in the day I used to bring the jersey to work and slide it over before heading out to games.

Then again, a jersey or lack there for does not a fan make. Especially when talking about Wings' fans. There are just too many jersey's out there. When jerseys for third and fourth line guys (tough guys excluded) start selling like hot cakes, you know there are too many jerseys floating around.

I've watched Red Wings games, and there is plenty of team gear, whether it be sweatshirts, jerseys, or whatnot, I didn't see much of that last night, and just asked Sach for the lowdown.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:01 PM   #72
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well I can verify that a lot of those buttondowns were worn by corporate types. Tickets down here cost mucho dinero, and if fans like me were at game, you could see a difference! The problem is, I have to work late so that the guys you see on TV can go "be seen" at a Stars game.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:32 PM   #73
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Then again, a jersey or lack there for does not a fan make. Especially when talking about Wings' fans.

Tell me about it; many of these so-called 'huge Wings fans' couldn't tell you a single player on the team before 1996, and fewer still could name you a player on another team aside from Colorado. Wait until these great Stanley Cup/playoff run seasons conclude, and we will be back to the Dead Wings all over again.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:12 PM   #74
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well I can verify that a lot of those buttondowns were worn by corporate types. Tickets down here cost mucho dinero, and if fans like me were at game, you could see a difference! The problem is, I have to work late so that the guys you see on TV can go "be seen" at a Stars game.

Ah, yes... Dallas, Texas, the home of the $30,000 a year millionaire!

Enough of this jersey talk!

There are games to played!
Old 04-10-2003, 01:56 PM   #75
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Godard gets suspended today for high-sticking Yashin. Not a good precedent for Hatcher...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=37178&hubName=nhl

And Honolulu_Blue, I'm not sure what you mean by $30,000 a year millionaire? Because I would qualify...on the $30,000 part
Old 04-10-2003, 04:00 PM   #76
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Ouch, that was a tough loss yesterday. Stupid penalty to take that late in the game. But the good news is the Flyers have already scored more goals this playoff series than they did the entire series against the Senators last season (scary). Oh well, there's always Friday to hopefully even it up.

Also, Domi is a punk!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:25 PM   #77
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Godard gets suspended today for high-sticking Yashin. Not a good precedent for Hatcher...
Not at all, considering the high stick was accidental. It was careless, no doubt, but them Hossa carved out a guy's eye with an accidental high stick a few years back and nobody asked for a suspension.

If Godard gets a game for that love tap, and Hatcher gets nothing, can the NHL just officially announce an "only third-liners get suspended" policy?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:33 PM   #78
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm beginning to wonder about Dallas, did anybody else notice all the empty seats during the game last night? Up here there were only 1,800 tickets that were available to the public for purchase thanks to our season ticket base, and those were gone within 35 minutes (I missed out on game 4 tickets by about 5 people in line, yes, I'm still bitter).
Old 04-10-2003, 08:28 PM   #79
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
I'm beginning to wonder about Dallas, did anybody else notice all the empty seats during the game last night? Up here there were only 1,800 tickets that were available to the public for purchase thanks to our season ticket base, and those were gone within 35 minutes (I missed out on game 4 tickets by about 5 people in line, yes, I'm still bitter).

Ya but this is Canada EH!

People rather die than miss a hockey game.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:24 PM   #80
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just bugs me that the only reason most Canadian teams can't keep a lot of their players is the strength of the Canadian dollar, not the strength of their fan support. Even the Flames were selling out a lot of their home games, then Dallas can't even fill the house for game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs?

If nothing happens in the new CBA or our dollar doesn't take a nice spike up soon, there's going to be some happy rich teams when they start picking Comrie, Smyth, Hemsky, Semenov, Brewer, et al off of the Oiler's roster when we just can't afford to pay them anymore.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:58 AM   #81
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Just bugs me that the only reason most Canadian teams can't keep a lot of their players is the strength of the Canadian dollar, not the strength of their fan support. Even the Flames were selling out a lot of their home games, then Dallas can't even fill the house for game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs?

If nothing happens in the new CBA or our dollar doesn't take a nice spike up soon, there's going to be some happy rich teams when they start picking Comrie, Smyth, Hemsky, Semenov, Brewer, et al off of the Oiler's roster when we just can't afford to pay them anymore.

I think you need to also look at what they charge for tickets in Dallas compared to Edmonton, and that includes the currency conversion. That is a big part of it too. When I looked last year, Dallas was close to double compared to Minnesota.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:41 AM   #82
bbor
Pro Starter

F'N Injuries.....unbelievable the injuries the Leafs have had the last 2 play-offs

Old 04-11-2003, 11:05 PM   #83
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Ugh...Stars-Oilers! There had to be close to 150 penalty minutes in this game. It was a great game until the third. And I thought the Stars lost their cool on Monday. See you in a few games, Cross!
Old 04-12-2003, 12:34 AM   #84
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ugh...Stars-Oilers! There had to be close to 150 penalty minutes in this game. It was a great game until the third. And I thought the Stars lost their cool on Monday. See you in a few games, Cross!

Oilers 1, Ref's 1, Stars 0

Referee's won this game for Dallas in the first, Edmonton could have made a game of it in the first half of the second but Turco made some huge stops, then the ref's had it for the last 30 minutes.

A couple of bad calls against Dallas in the 3rd make the final penalty totals look a lot closer than they really were, as Dallas was on a 5-3 or 4-3 powerplay for virtually the entire 3rd.

Of the Oiler's 6 or 7 penalties in the 1st period, 2 were legit, tops. Both goalie interference penalties were bogus, and the one that should have been called (against Arnott) wasn't. This game was a travesty to watch and I hope these ref's don't do another game this year in any series.

Oh, and if Cross gets suspended, that's a joke as what he did wasn't half of what Hatcher got away with.

But all in all, we got the split we needed in Dallas, and hopefully tonight's excuse for playoff hockey will have us ready to go on Sunday.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:02 AM   #85
j51
Mascot

Quote:

It was a 6:30 PM start. I'd like to see someone drive through downtown Dallas in the middle of rush hour and get where they're going on time.. it can't be done. 8:00 PM start tonight and it was nice and rowdy.
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 02:29 AM   #86
JeeberD
General Manager

Screw the Stars...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:58 AM   #87
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

You lose 6-1 and you blame the refs? That's crazy.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:32 PM   #88
Travis
Pro Rookie

Did you watch the game? My buddies and I were sitting in his living room staring at the television with dropped jaws from about 8 minutes in on. To call that hockey, let alone playoff hockey is a travesty.

It was 3-1 at the end of the 1st with 2 Stars goals coming on very questionable calls, as did ours, so make that score 1-0 for Dallas. It was 4-1 after 2, again, after we spent half the period short handed. We had 3 or 4 quality chances early that Turco stopped or this game would have been totally different. I refuse to count any of the 3rd period towards anything as no hockey as was actually played in that period. Even had we scored 1 or 2 early in the second to make it 3-2, 3-3 or whatnot and had it close going into the 3rd, the way it was being called pretty much meant we would have had to score a shorthanded goal or two in the 3rd to have any shot of winning, and Dallas isn't a team to give up short handed goals in back to back games.

Any time you give hand a team like Dallas that many powerplays, yes, they're going to demolish you, and had the Oiler's been taking stupid penalties in the first two periods, I'd be the first one to announce that they were stupid and handed the Stars game two instead of pouncing on them hard enough to knock them out of the series before we came back to Edmonton. Fact was, the ref's gave Dallas more than every opportunity to win this game and they did. There was no way our penalty killers could kill off repeated 5 on 3's after killing 5 on 4's.

If the tables were reversed, I'd say the same thing, the ref'ing last night was a joke, and I sincerely hope they don't officiate another game in the playoffs in any series.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:34 PM   #89
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oh, and there were still a lot of empty seats in the stands last night. Sad when Calgary can sell more seats when they're missing the playoffs than Dallas can during the playoffs, especially so they could watch their hard earned money go into the ref's pockets
Old 04-12-2003, 03:38 PM   #90
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully the Blues can pull another one off tonight. I have tickets for Monday's game here in St. Louis!

Should be a good time!! I plan on picking up my friend Bud Light around 3pm, should be enough time for a 7:30 game.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #91
Havok
College Starter

How about them Caps!!

im loving it
Old 04-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #92
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Ugh. I think the Wings may be done. They were playing with absolutely zero confidence in that third period, and the third goal they let in was just terrible from every standpoint. I know they came back from two down last year, but this time it feels different. Cujo is definitely no Hasek either.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:26 PM   #93
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Ugh. I think the Wings may be done. They were playing with absolutely zero confidence in that third period, and the third goal they let in was just terrible from every standpoint. I know they came back from two down last year, but this time it feels different.

We couldn't be so lucky could we?

Quote:
Cujo is definitely no Hasek either.

Dave Lewis is no Scotty Bowman either.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:59 PM   #94
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn.....I can't believe ...the Ducks???

CR....you stroking out yet?

Angels and Ducks in one year?

Old 04-13-2003, 09:46 PM   #95
JeeberD
General Manager

Hell yeah, I hate the Red Wings.

Wow, what an ending to that Oilers game. Two games to one, we can do it!

Go Oilers!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:18 PM   #96
bbor
Pro Starter

Sach shit the bed i think

Old 04-13-2003, 10:28 PM   #97
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Shit the bed? That's a new one...

Actually, I was just glad the game was so exciting! Not many penalties, few cheap hits, great chances at both ends. Marty got lit up there for 3 quick goals...if he doesn't get that under control, we're done for.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:52 PM   #98
Travis
Pro Rookie

Now that was playoff hockey. I couldn't believe that either or the Stars or the Oiler's didn't score at the end. I figured they'd either tie it on the powerplay or we'd ice it with the empty netter, but I suppose when 21 of their last 30 games have been 1 goal affairs, it's just doomed to keep us nervous like that.

Should be interesting to see how Turco rebounds, and how Hatcher comes out next game. That was a great game to watch period (and weren't the fans nice and loud )
Old 04-14-2003, 12:53 AM   #99
bbor
Pro Starter

Did Cross play?...i never heard if he got suspended or not

Old 04-14-2003, 03:07 AM   #100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Great to hear about the Oil. Get 'em lads!

As for the Wings. After going up 2-1 in Game 2 they had a ton of chances. Three breakaways. Granted, two were by Larionov (who probably would have preferred to pass) and one by Maltby, not a great goalscorer. They didn't bury the chances and the Ducks got two questionable (from a Wings goaltending/defensive perspective) goals at the end of the 3rd period. Giguere's been great. The series feels like Phoenix in 1996 (Wings won, but Khabibuhlin was a star) or the Kings in 2000 (Potvin stonewalled 'em).

Big game tonight. Huge.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).