Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2003, 08:01 AM   #151
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
It's not over. If the Wings win tonight, they win the series.

Write it down.

Could happen. If they win tonight in Anaheim, they'll have a definite advantage at home in game 5. And winning that game would definitely destroy any confidence the Ducks have going back home for game 6.

But on the other hand...GO DUCKS!!!!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:03 AM   #152
klayman
College Benchwarmer

dola

brutal, i've hit two of the three page breaks in this thread. I gotta stop replying every 50 messages.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:17 AM   #153
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Write it down.

I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they did come back to win.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:19 AM   #154
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Write it down.

I would have to agree here.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:09 AM   #155
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I remember being sad when the Leafs signed both Corson and Roberts. I wanted them to come to Dallas. Instead Dallas signed Belfour and Hull, and we got a cup.

I'm not sad anymore.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:52 AM   #156
klayman
College Benchwarmer

hehe

Sach, no offence...but I hope you are sad by at least the 21st.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:05 AM   #157
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
hehe

Sach, no offence...but I hope you are sad by at least the 21st.

None taken, but the Oilers have missed a golden oppurtunity. They had the Stars on the ropes and then went flat after Zubov scored 2 minutes into the game. The series is even, but it looks like some of the Stars worker bees are stepping it up. When that happens, the depth of Dallas becomes a huge factor. I'm not saying that Edmonton can't win this series, but it's going to be much harder now.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:12 AM   #158
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oh I agree. It was as much a must win game for Edmonton as it was for Dallas. And they played very dumb. Once again they became undisciplined, took stupid penalties, and simply forgot defensive assignments. The Stars should have made it look a lot worse than it actually was, but they were off their game as well. Still, although I always say I'm tired of the Oilers-Stars playoff series, it's usually the best hockey of the year.

The way they play it's hard to imagine that both these teams didn't make the playoffs last year.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:51 AM   #159
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
I remember being sad when the Leafs signed both Corson and Roberts. I wanted them to come to Dallas. Instead Dallas signed Belfour and Hull, and we got a cup.
Corson and Roberts both signed in 2000. Didn't Dallas win it's Cup in 1999?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:07 AM   #160
bbor
Pro Starter

Mogilny out for the Leafs tonight...this team can't catch a break...well...besides breaking feet.

Aaron Gavey comes in to take his place ..Woohooo.

Too bad Shayne you should have held out one more day and you could have played.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:17 PM   #161
Travis
Pro Rookie

As odd as it sounds, I think it could be the return of Turgeon and/or Guerin that will decide this series. If neither comes back, we'll get 3 more hard fought games, with at least one of them probably being a marathon.

If they can come back from injury and fit right in, then Dallas takes it in 6, but if either of them is coming back to early, and Edmonton can capitalize on a few of their mistakes because of it, we take it in 6.

As it was, I really enjoyed last night's game, lots of chances at both ends, and if Jason Smith would have just gone after his man behind the net instead of trying to play Mr. Goalie, we wouldn't have given Dallas back the lead so damned quick.

Ah well, tomorrow is a new sheet of ice.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:31 PM   #162
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dvorak is out indefinately with a broken hand. The hill just got steeper for Edmonton. He didn't even get to finish the check...if he hadn't missed Lehtinen, he would still be playing.

EDIT: Travis, if Jason Smith goes after the guy behind the net...Arnott is standing in front of Salo alone.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-16-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:01 PM   #163
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

No offense to Schmdity and MizzouRah for believing what you will about tonight's game, but your comment, Schmidty, is kind of a backhanded swipe at the Ducks, too.

As a Ducks fan and a Red Wings-fearing man, I don't think its over until its over either. This is still a very dangerous team in Detroit, and if anyone can pull off four in a row against anyone, they ceratainly can.

But "Write it down, if the Wings win tonight, they take it all?" You must really think the Ducks are on the verge of collapse here. Like their confidence is based on some flimsy foundation or they are all young, untested players who are lucky to have reached this point.

Here's a newsflash for you: if the Wings win this series, it won;t be because they win tonight. It will be because they put themselves through one of the most grueling hit-for-hit defensive battles of a series, and defeated a tough, confident Ducks team night in and night out, both at Joe Louis and at the Pond.

This isn't a team of untested rookies here on Anheim. This is Kariya, Oates, Sykora, Rucchin, Thomas, Niedermayer, Ozolinsh, Carney, Olausson, Salei, and I am sure you'll allow a "bye" on this one to Giguere, who is playing pretty darn well for a guy in his first playoff series, eh?

This is not a team of newbs. Quit waiting for the team's "shaky" confidence to break, because it ain't gonna happen. This team didn't develop the confidence to beat the Wings with each series win. They came into the series expecting to win.

They already had the confidence. Yes, the Wings still worry me in a big way. But if you're basing your hopes of a Wings win on some mythical collapse of Ducks' confidence due to inexperience or attitude or something, you better think again.

I look forward to a good game tonight.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:15 PM   #164
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
No offense to Schmdity and MizzouRah for believing what you will about tonight's game, but your comment, Schmidty, is kind of a backhanded swipe at the Ducks, too.

As a Ducks fan and a Red Wings-fearing man, I don't think its over until its over either. This is still a very dangerous team in Detroit, and if anyone can pull off four in a row against anyone, they ceratainly can.

But "Write it down, if the Wings win tonight, they take it all?" You must really think the Ducks are on the verge of collapse here. Like their confidence is based on some flimsy foundation or they are all young, untested players who are lucky to have reached this point.

Here's a newsflash for you: if the Wings win this series, it won;t be because they win tonight. It will be because they put themselves through one of the most grueling hit-for-hit defensive battles of a series, and defeated a tough, confident Ducks team night in and night out, both at Joe Louis and at the Pond.

This isn't a team of untested rookies here on Anheim. This is Kariya, Oates, Sykora, Rucchin, Thomas, Niedermayer, Ozolinsh, Carney, Olausson, Salei, and I am sure you'll allow a "bye" on this one to Giguere, who is playing pretty darn well for a guy in his first playoff series, eh?

This is not a team of newbs. Quit waiting for the team's "shaky" confidence to break, because it ain't gonna happen. This team didn't develop the confidence to beat the Wings with each series win. They came into the series expecting to win.

They already had the confidence. Yes, the Wings still worry me in a big way. But if you're basing your hopes of a Wings win on some mythical collapse of Ducks' confidence due to inexperience or attitude or something, you better think again.

I look forward to a good game tonight.

Chief Rum

Don't read anything into my comment, Matt. It's just a gut feeling I have after watching every single Red Wing game, playoff or otherwise, for as long as I can remember. I don't have any disdain for the Ducks.

Good luck tonight!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 02:32 PM   #165
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Dvorak is out indefinately with a broken hand. The hill just got steeper for Edmonton. He didn't even get to finish the check...if he hadn't missed Lehtinen, he would still be playing.

EDIT: Travis, if Jason Smith goes after the guy behind the net...Arnott is standing in front of Salo alone.

No, the danger on that play was of Smith going behind the net, then Barnes might have had a chance of beating him one on one, then walking out front. As it was, a forward was back covering Arnott in the slot. That's why the Smith play made no sense to me, as he had another Oiler in front with him, with his defensive partner covering the other side of the net. Even then, had he planted his skate on the red line and stood up, it couldn't have gone in, but once he leaned back, he created that angle.

Again, not a horribly bad play, but he should have either attacked, or used his body positioning better considering he did have help down low.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #166
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Mogilny out for the Leafs tonight...this team can't catch a break...well...besides breaking feet.

Aaron Gavey comes in to take his place ..Woohooo.

Too bad Shayne you should have held out one more day and you could have played.
If you ever wanted to make some money on the NHL, put down a few bucks on the Flyers tonight. The Leafs are banged up, and more importantly they almost never do things the easy way. Flyers even the series, setting up a great final three games.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:37 PM   #167
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't read anything into my comment, Matt. It's just a gut feeling I have after watching every single Red Wing game, playoff or otherwise, for as long as I can remember. I don't have any disdain for the Ducks.

Good luck tonight!!!

I can certainly understand gut feelings like that, Jay. Cool deal then. Good luck tonight.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:35 PM   #168
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Chief,

Being a Redwings HATER, I just think about how many times they have come back in the playoffs to rip off 7-8 games in a row. They are a team that if they get a little momentum, they can reel off 4 victories just like that.

I hope you're right, I really do, but until they are exterminated, I'm uneasy. I have told many people here that the Ducks look good this year, heck I remember when they came here vs the Blues!

GO DUCKS!
GO BLUES!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:47 PM   #169
bbor
Pro Starter

Leafs Flyers...OT again....Leafs are showing guts.....

Islanders = finished...good night nurse

Minnesota...Ditto

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:52 PM   #170
bbor
Pro Starter

Triple overtime loss for the Leafs...that may be the back breaker

Old 04-16-2003, 10:53 PM   #171
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Flyers WIN Flyers WIN
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 04-16-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:56 PM   #172
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Triple overtime loss for the Leafs...that may be the back breaker

This is a great series...my only concern is whoever wins will probably be too beat up to contend.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #173
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, that's enough with these multiple OT games. Not a bad stretch for Recchi. Score a triple OT goal and now go home for the birth of his child (his wife is giving birth in the morning, I guess it must be planned C-section).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:31 PM   #174
bbor
Pro Starter

UT-OH

2-1 Duckies

Old 04-16-2003, 11:47 PM   #175
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Leafs fans, do you know of anywhere that I can get a good quality picture of Belflour's mask. Ideally I would like both a side and back shot of it. The only site with goalie masks that I have found so far isn't close to up to date.

Thanks.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:53 PM   #176
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow....2-2...another OT...I heart play-off hockey

Old 04-17-2003, 12:25 AM   #177
bbor
Pro Starter

Good thing you went to motor city Cujo

Now they are gonna roast you....even though it's not your fault you were swept.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:31 AM   #178
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good thing you went to motor city Cujo

Now they are gonna roast you....even though it's not your fault you were swept.

Damn straight. Nothing like blaming a guy for the offense scoring 1.5 goals per game.

GO HOME WINGS! Join the Hawks watching the rest of the playoffs at home. No Cup for you!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:33 AM   #179
Travis
Pro Rookie

God, now if the Oiler's could just beat the Stars, we could have a bottom half second round in the West! No Wings for us if we win, way to go Ducks!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:38 AM   #180
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Damn straight. Nothing like blaming a guy for the offense scoring 1.5 goals per game.

GO HOME WINGS! Join the Hawks watching the rest of the playoffs at home. No Cup for you!

SI

There have been a number of reasons for this criticism, both fair and unfair. For one, he has been compared to Hasek all season long, and has not lived up to the expectations that Hasek set. He was very streaky all year, never really showing a strong consistency, and had a habit all year of letting in some bad goals. Yes, he did only allow ten goals in this series, but probably half of them were very soft; Game 2 comes to mind when he let a couple softies in in the last ten minutes of the game. Also, there is a looooong history of poor goaltending here in the Stanley Cup playoffs (basically pick any goalie of the last fifteen years, excluding Vernon and Hasek) tied in with somewhat unreasonable expectations from the fans; only a Cup will do here. That being said, leading into year's playoffs there didn't seem to be the buzz around town normally associated with the team. Maybe its because they are just coming off a Cup victory last year, or three Cups in six years, but people just didn't seem as excited as in years gone by. Frankly the only reason I'm upset right now is because I know that next year will be the last year they will make a run at it; they will probably blow things up and start over when the labor mess finishes in two years.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:50 AM   #181
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Heck, on NHL Tonight, they paraded out a list of UFAs that Detroit has after this year even. Oh well, I don't want to think about the depressing CBA right now- it's Cup time.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 03:13 AM   #182
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So it ends. So it ends...

A hearty congrats to the Ducks. They played exceptionally well. They showed incredible patience and discipline and took advantage of every opportunity. If someone had to score the OT for the Ducks I'm glad it was Rucchin with Carney setting him up. I will have to take a break from hockey for a while. It's too painful. Luckily, living in Belgium, this is quite an easy thing to do.

As for what's next for the Wings... Not quite sure. With 2004 hanging like a cloud over all decisions, I don't know what the Wings will be able to do free agent wise. I think Yzerman will come back. Sign a quick, one year deal at a similar salary level. Hull is back. Robitaille is likely gone. Wooley too. McCarty will likely re-sign.

The big question mark, of course, is Fedorov. I am sure some team will be willing to break the bank for him. If the Wings lose Fedorov they will be taking a serious step backwards in the process. Dunno who else is out there free agent-wise that the Wings could sign to replace him...

Well, these questions need not be answered now. There is a long, unnaturally long, time until July 1st when all this stuff goes down.

I reckon it's time for little HB to focus on the NFL draft and the Pistons' play-off run.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:00 AM   #183
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

this thread is not allowed to die
Old 04-17-2003, 11:42 AM   #184
bbor
Pro Starter

I would gather a guess that IF the Wings manage to stay fairly intact.....and perhaps add a few fringe guys....they will be o.k.I think Cujo may be able to win a cup for them himself next year.he will be trying like hell to redeem himself for this season.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #185
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
this thread is not allowed to die

It just might without the input from detroit red wings fans anymore

ah, just kidding around...my team is probably out in two more games anyway.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:37 PM   #186
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Tied 2-2 I expect the Stars to show up at home with a solid victory tonight. Call it 4-2 Dallas.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:41 PM   #187
Blade
College Prospect

Well, as an Oilers fan who has purposely remained silent on this thread, I have to say a 3-2 Oilers victory tonight...if we lose, the series will go to Dallas in the end...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:48 PM   #188
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

In the last 7 series the Stars have played in which they were tied at 2-2, they have won 6 of them....but the one they lost was to Edmonton in '97, and Grant Ledyard fell down and watched Marchant go top shelf on Andy Moog.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:36 PM   #189
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade
Well, as an Oilers fan who has purposely remained silent on this thread, I have to say a 3-2 Oilers victory tonight...if we lose, the series will go to Dallas in the end...

What is up with Comrie, he seemed invisable in that last game. Is he still hurt?
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #190
Blade
College Prospect

Comrie has not been the same since he was hurt mid-season...he just seems to be trying to do too much with the puck, and only ends up giving it away...

I think it is more mental than physical with him...but he has got to get over it in a hurry if we want to win. Because of our payroll situation, we can't rely on a few big-name players like other teams can. We need all our guys going at once...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:04 PM   #191
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, I'm calling a Hemsky breakout either tonight or in game 6. At least 3 goals for him in those 2 games combined.

And Comrie, well, WAKE UP BOY AND PLAY SOME DAMN HOCKEY!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:07 PM   #192
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Killebrew
What is up with Comrie, he seemed invisable in that last game. Is he still hurt?

He was invisible....physically...he only played 10 odd minutes....rather strange if you ask me.

Old 04-17-2003, 06:02 PM   #193
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
He was invisible....physically...he only played 10 odd minutes....rather strange if you ask me.

They were actually thinking of sitting him out of Game 5, but with Dvorak out, Comrie lucked out...

He had better start to get something going in a hurry...
Old 04-17-2003, 06:08 PM   #194
ice4277
Pro Rookie

The winner of the Dallas-Edmonton game tonight wins the series IMO.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:23 PM   #195
ACStrider
High School JV

Good call B+B...it was 5-2. Stars win! Stars win! The player I've been the most impressed with in the series for the Stars to this point has been Zubov. It isn't just the fact that his +/- is through the roof, it's the amount of minutes he's put in to this point. He's easily leading the Stars in minutes thanks to Hatcher's suspension. The biggest surprise to me has been the fact that even with Guerin and Turgon out, Modano has gotten a good bit of rest time. In the 2000 playoffs it was Modano who saw an enourmous amount of ice time as he practically carried the Stars to the finals vs. NJ. Edmonton is certainly on the ropes now. I don't think they can pull the upset off. Upset notwithstanding, bring on round two!
Old 04-17-2003, 09:28 PM   #196
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

This series isn't over, but Dallas definately has the Oilers by the throat. When will they learn that if you want to beat Dallas, you stay out of the box?

Also, no matter what happens, they have to come out with more effort than they did tonight. They looked like they weren't even trying. An Laraque...show some effort, man! Sure you can slash people and run goalies, but why loaf on the wing? Loser.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:15 AM   #197
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think Edmonton is done. They may win Game 6 back in Alberta, but I don't think they will win another in Dallas. They surprised Dallas in Game 1. That happens. Hatcher was out for Game 3 and the Oil took full advantage of that and won. Hatcher is back and Dvorak is out. The Oilers aren't that deep of a team to recover from a loss like that, especially with Comrie not playing up to snuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:04 AM   #198
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dallas was missing on of it's top four defensemen in both games that they lost...Boucher in game 1 and Hatcher in game 3. Interesting...
Old 04-20-2003, 08:48 PM   #199
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Well, Dallas, Anaheim, NJ and TB have all advanced in the past couple of days, and Vancouver forced a game 7!
Old 04-20-2003, 09:16 PM   #200
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm impressed with TB...coming back from 2-0 down,,,

good on them.