Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #401
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Yeah, I've had season tickets since the lockout. Let me know if you ever want tickets - if I have a game available I'll sell to you at my cost, which is much lower than the box office price. I'll likely go to about 15 or 20 games this year and sell the rest...

Grier has been great in his role as a leader and a checker and the three goals is a big bonus. Looks like the team really stepped up tonight in his absence - that was one of the most physical and intense games I've seen the Sabres play in awhile. Really entertaining game even with the low scoreline.

Was a very entertaining game. Looking forward to the Flyers tomorrow.

I'll send you a PM. (I love how next Saturday's game against CAROLINA is a GOLD-priced game )

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-13-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #402
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Jackets beat the Ducks 3-2 in a SO. Rick Nash with a nice off-balance SO goal for the winner:

TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #403
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wild third period between Detroit and Anaheim.

Detroit starts the period up 2-1.

Ducks tie it 2-2

Detroit goes up 3-2

Ducks tie it 3-3

Detroit goes up 4-3

Ducks tie it 4-4

Detroit goes up 5-4

Then Detroit goes up 6-4 and makes it 7-4 on an empty net goal by Henrik Zetterberg that gives him the hattrick for the night.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #404
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wild third period between Detroit and Anaheim.

Detroit starts the period up 2-1.

Ducks tie it 2-2

Detroit goes up 3-2

Ducks tie it 3-3

Detroit goes up 4-3

Ducks tie it 4-4

Detroit goes up 5-4

Then Detroit goes up 6-4 and makes it 7-4 on an empty net goal by Henrik Zetterberg that gives him the hattrick for the night.

Sounds like a good game. Sabres hold off Philly 3-2. Tyler Ennis scores his first NHL goal in his first NHL game.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #405
henry296
College Starter

Crazy game in Pittsburgh, too. Alternate Goals to 4-4 then the Bruins take the lead at 5-4. Pens score with 0.4 seconds and win in OT.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #406
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Penguins beat Boston tonight 6-5 in a game the Bruins would have won were it not for Patrice Bergeron breaking his stick in the final seconds. The pass skipped over his broken stick and led to a two on one in which Guerin scored to tie the game with 0.4 seconds left in regulation. Pascal Dupuis scored the GWG in OT. So disappointing for the Bruins.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #407
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The Pens put up 6...while missing Gonch, Letang, Kennedy and Kunitz!

Dupuis takes a lot of heat because he's making $1.4M-- which isn't alot, unless you need every penny you can spend on top 6 wingers. But that guy just goes non stop.

And that was the first thing Guerin has done of any value in about 3 weeks. He's looking old and tired. Once these other guys are back, I don't think it would be a bad idea to rest him some games.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #408
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

SR, c'mon...as long as Crosby and Malkin are playing they could score 10 a night!!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #409
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
SR, c'mon...as long as Crosby and Malkin are playing they could score 10 a night!!!!

Only when they've got a sniper like Pascal Dupuis putting up a pair a night.

And, as long as it's not on the PP. I don't know the exact numbers, but while Malkin was out, they were something like 0-for-33. And since Gonchar has been out, 3-for-50 or so.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #410
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I suppose I can now say this...1 (as in "one win").

At long last, it's over. The shovel has been put down for one night as Carolina broke their 14-game losing streak with a shootout win over the Wild today.

However, as I told my wife, while they found new and excruciating ways to lose over the last 14 games, they managed to find a new and excruciating way to win today. They held a 4-1 lead in the second period and coughed it all up by early in the third period. Only Jussi Jokinen (hallowed be his name--at least in shootouts) scored in the SO of the six skaters that went to get the win.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #411
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Alex Goligoski out 2 weeks for the Pens.

Their D tonight vs Anaheim:

Jay McKee, who was still seviceable in St. Louis, but was just making too much on the original contract.

Mark Eaton, the lone holdover from last season, surprisingly, the one dude who hasn't been hurt yet!

Martin Skoula, who was in Florida and Columbus for short periods in September camps on tryouts

Deryck Englland, Nate Guenin and Ben 'The Reverend' Lovejoy all up from the AHL.

Good times.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #412
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Alex Goligoski out 2 weeks for the Pens.

Their D tonight vs Anaheim:

Jay McKee, who was still seviceable in St. Louis, but was just making too much on the original contract.

Mark Eaton, the lone holdover from last season, surprisingly, the one dude who hasn't been hurt yet!

Martin Skoula, who was in Florida and Columbus for short periods in September camps on tryouts

Deryck Englland, Nate Guenin and Ben 'The Reverend' Lovejoy all up from the AHL.

Good times.

Luckily, the Penguins are playing Anaheim who are at the tail end of a long East Coast trip and have not been playing very well. The top line got it going against Detroit, but with the loss of Pronger and Beuachemin the defense isn't anywhere close to what it used to be and Hiller has been hit and miss it seems (he was solid in the first two periods, but let in 4 in the 3rd).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #413
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Luckily, the Penguins are playing Anaheim who are at the tail end of a long East Coast trip and have not been playing very well. The top line got it going against Detroit, but with the loss of Pronger and Beuachemin the defense isn't anywhere close to what it used to be and Hiller has been hit and miss it seems (he was solid in the first two periods, but let in 4 in the 3rd).

Actually, outside of the one soft one, Hiller was amazing in the third. He kept the Ducks in it, if you can believe it. Saturday was all on the defense, which was and continues to be atrocious.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #414
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Local boy Nate Guenin from Hopewell High School!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #415
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Local boy Nate Guenin from Hopewell High School!

3rd Pittsbugh-born player to dress for the Pens. Ryan Malone and Bill Thomas prior to him.

And George Parros on the ice tonight too...Pittsburgh is the next great hotbed for NHL players.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #416
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, outside of the one soft one, Hiller was amazing in the third. He kept the Ducks in it, if you can believe it. Saturday was all on the defense, which was and continues to be atrocious.

I thought Hiller was amazing in the first, solid in the second and all right in the third. The Wings scored 4 goals on 11 shots (not counting the empty netter) in the third.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #417
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
3rd Pittsbugh-born player to dress for the Pens. Ryan Malone and Bill Thomas prior to him.

And George Parros on the ice tonight too...Pittsburgh is the next great hotbed for NHL players.

George Parros....lol. Gotta love that 'stache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #418
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Interesting development today: Nikita Filatov is loaned back to CSKA Moscow for the rest of the year, at his wishes.

Personally, its the best move right now for both parties. This all started at the end of last season, when Filatov was called up from Syracuse (who was in the middle of a playoff race) so that he could "experience the playoff atmosphere" by sitting in the press box every night. Something just didn't seem right about that situation, as well as his comments over the summer that he would consider offers from Russia if he ended up in Syracuse.

Fast forward to this season, where Filatov hasn't been impressive at all and hasn't earned a top-6 spot. He's just not strong on the puck at all. Hitch had enough on Friday night when he ended up out against Getzlaf's line and turned it over THREE times in the defensive zone on the same shift. Filatov was scratched last night.

Filatov just needs playing time to continuing his development, and the only way he would do that is if he played top 6 minutes for the Jackets. There's no way he can handle that with a team that is a hopeful playoff team. If he doesn't want to go to Syracuse (which hasn't been direcly stated, but it is a safe assumption), this is probably the best move.

However, this is the KHL we're talking about here, so nothing is safe.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #419
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Brendan Shanahan has officially retired. Next stop, the Hall of Fame.

I loved Brendan Shanahan. He was a great player, a premiere power forward for many years and really smart, good guy.

The day the Wings traded for him still goes down as one of the most exciting days I've ever had as a sports fan. I remember hearing about the trade on the radio as I was driving home from work and all the rumors about how Shanahan was on a plane headed to Detroit and all of this. I just sat in the car my driveway listening to it all, bouncing around in the seat of my car and punching the roof. He was the missing piece. The big, tough skilled forward the Wings had lacked for years. He fought someone on Edmoton on his first shift that night and then went on to help Detroit win 3 Stanley Cups.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #420
samifan24
Pro Starter

Sad to see Shanny retire. He was a great player and also the last remaining player to ever serve as captain of the Hartford Whalers.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #421
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Interesting development today: Nikita Filatov is loaned back to CSKA Moscow for the rest of the year, at his wishes.

Personally, its the best move right now for both parties. This all started at the end of last season, when Filatov was called up from Syracuse (who was in the middle of a playoff race) so that he could "experience the playoff atmosphere" by sitting in the press box every night. Something just didn't seem right about that situation, as well as his comments over the summer that he would consider offers from Russia if he ended up in Syracuse.

Fast forward to this season, where Filatov hasn't been impressive at all and hasn't earned a top-6 spot. He's just not strong on the puck at all. Hitch had enough on Friday night when he ended up out against Getzlaf's line and turned it over THREE times in the defensive zone on the same shift. Filatov was scratched last night.

Filatov just needs playing time to continuing his development, and the only way he would do that is if he played top 6 minutes for the Jackets. There's no way he can handle that with a team that is a hopeful playoff team. If he doesn't want to go to Syracuse (which hasn't been direcly stated, but it is a safe assumption), this is probably the best move.

However, this is the KHL we're talking about here, so nothing is safe.

I would be surprised if he ever comes back to North America. Sounds like he was a little homesick, and wasn't fitting in well with the teams he was on here, including the play style.

Oh, and the KHL has every intention of taking every NHL player they can. Good luck seeing this guy again in Columbus.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #422
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hockey sucks. Please lock and/or delete this thread.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #423
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Brendan Shanahan has officially retired. Next stop, the Hall of Fame.

I loved Brendan Shanahan. He was a great player, a premiere power forward for many years and really smart, good guy.

The day the Wings traded for him still goes down as one of the most exciting days I've ever had as a sports fan. I remember hearing about the trade on the radio as I was driving home from work and all the rumors about how Shanahan was on a plane headed to Detroit and all of this. I just sat in the car my driveway listening to it all, bouncing around in the seat of my car and punching the roof. He was the missing piece. The big, tough skilled forward the Wings had lacked for years. He fought someone on Edmoton on his first shift that night and then went on to help Detroit win 3 Stanley Cups.

That day was nuts. I remember a Limo driver breaking the story on Stoney's show on WDFN I believe.

Shanny played 9 years in Detroit, and it seemed like it was so much fewer then that. Time really has flown by.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #424
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
That day was nuts. I remember a Limo driver breaking the story on Stoney's show on WDFN I believe.

Shanny played 9 years in Detroit, and it seemed like it was so much fewer then that. Time really has flown by.

Yeah, that's what I was listening to. Great stuff.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #425
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Hockey sucks. Please lock and/or delete this thread.

Come on, it hasn't been all that bad. Kessel is on a more than a point-a-game pace and Orr has been more than sufficiently truculent. He really took care of both McGrattan and Carkner.

P.S. Next time you decide to go to a Leafs game please make sure the Wings aren't playing. k? thx.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #426
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

In theory I don't mind the shootout. In practice I've come to loathe it. Carolina went back to the "new and excruciating ways to lose" habit tonight in Montreal as they gave up a goal late in the third, couldn't score on an OT power play that essentially lasted the entire last two minutes of OT, then ruined a splended effort by Manny Legace in the shootout by failing to score on any of their six attempts. Montreal went first, no less, so from the third to the fifth shooters, Canes players had a chance to win and failed to convert each time. Even Jokinen failed, which pretty much meant a loss at that point since nobody else on the team has a chance of scoring in the shootout. It just took another four shooters for both sides before it was official.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 11-17-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #427
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
In theory I don't mind the shootout. In practice I've come to loathe it. Carolina went back to the "new and excruciating ways to lose" habit tonight in Montreal as they gave up a goal late in the third, couldn't score on an OT power play that essentially lasted the entire last two minutes of OT, then ruined a splended effort by Manny Legace in the shootout by failing to score on any of their six attempts. Montreal went first, no less, so from the third to the fifth shooters, Canes players had a chance to win and failed to convert each time. Even Jokinen failed, which pretty much meant a loss at that point since nobody else on the team has a chance of scoring in the shootout. It just took another four shooters for both sides before it was official.

I hate the shootout. It just seems really gimmicky to me, like watching an AHL/ECHL game or something. I don't think deciding a game with a series of controlled breakaways is the correct call.

I also hate how both teams get at least one point in OT. They should play until someone wins, no points for the OT loser, no shootouts, and no ties.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #428
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
They should play until someone wins, no points for the OT loser, no shootouts, and no ties.

That is totally unrealistic for a sport that plays 82 games over 6 months. Injuries are already too prevalent, continuous OT would just exacerbate that problem.

I agree that a point for losing is stupid though. They should just move to the soccer system: 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. Do either a 5 or 10 minute 4-on-4 OT. Rarely would anyone 'play for the tie' when you miss out on 2 full points if you tie.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #429
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I also hate how both teams get at least one point in OT. They should play until someone wins, no points for the OT loser, no shootouts, and no ties.

In the playoffs? Most definitely. In the regular season? Uh, no.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 11-18-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #430
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In the playoffs? Most definitely. In the regular season? Uh, no.

If I had my wish there would be 5 minutes of 4 on 4 and if it was still tied after that, do another 5 minutes of 3 on 3. Still tied? Then do the shootout.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #431
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If I had my wish there would be 5 minutes of 4 on 4 and if it was still tied after that, do another 5 minutes of 3 on 3. Still tied? Then do the shootout.

I could live with that, but the idea of playing until someone wins in the regular season would just be brutal. It's awesome when it's the playoffs, but it will kill players over the course of an 82 game season.

I remember last year, after the Wings/Ducks game that went into 3 OTs there were a lot of people moaning about long OT games in playoff hockey. They wanted 4 on 4 to start the OT or go to 4 on 4 after the first period of OT. I disagree with that.

As for shoot outs, I have no love for them. I never watch them. Once the OT ends, I switch channels and check back to see who "won". I was at a Wings game last year that went into a shoout out with my brother. We decided to leave the Joe right after the OT for the same reason, no interest in it. It worked out well, we were out of the Joe and out of Detroit in like 10 minutes.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #432
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Oh I agree 100% with you H_B, leave the playoff OT structure alone and it is pretty unrealistic to have regular season games go on to multiple OTs.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #433
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I don't see what is so bad about a tie. I know, teams play for the tie once they hit OT, blah blah blah. Keep the 4 on 4, it opens things up, but keep the tie.

I don't hate the shootout-- it is exciting to see these guys on a breakaway. I do hate that it decides a game.

Or at the very least, award only 1 point for a SO win, 0 to the loser. Still 2 if it's won in OT. That should sufficiently push teams to go after it in OT.

Absolutely do not touch playoff OT. Those produce great memories. I can tell you where I was in 2008 when Sykora scored in 3OT Game 5 of the Finals, and same with Petr Nedved in 4 OT vs the Caps in 1996. And, unfortunately, Keith Primeau at 5 OT in 2000.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #434
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

I mentioned earlier about the Penguins D-- currently down Gonch, Orpik, Letang and Goligoski-- now lose Jay Mckee for 2 to 4 weeks. And rumor was Mark Eaton left practice early today.

Gonchar and Orpik have been cleared to play after being out four and two weeks. But the potential exists that tomorrow night in Ottawa, it's an Eaton - Skoula top pairing, and 4 AHLers.

Luckily, 2 games after getting one superstar back in Malkin, looks like another superstar will play his first game of the season tomorrow night...

Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #435
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Heh. Didn't mean to revive "is a shootout good or bad" discussion with my post. I was speaking more personally since Carolina sucks at it.

Me personally, I'd rather it be a 3-2-1 point system or an all-or-nothing system if shootouts are to be used (just wins and losses, as it were). Maybe do the ten-minute OT as well to reduce the amount of shootouts deciding games.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #436
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am in favor of the "10 points when Ducks win" system.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #437
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Wings got screwed on a "non-goal" by Brad May last night.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #438
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The Wings got screwed on a "non-goal" by Brad May last night.

I usually don't get too worked up at calls in games, but this one really made no sense at all. How could the ref have even "intended" to blow the whistle before the puck was in the net? It wasn't like it was a rebound or a net mouth scramble. May had the puck, shot it on his backhand, it deflects of Auld's pad and goes in. The time between the puck hitting the pad and going into the net was instantaneous.

Really quite inexcusable.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #439
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I usually don't get too worked up at calls in games, but this one really made no sense at all. How could the ref have even "intended" to blow the whistle before the puck was in the net? It wasn't like it was a rebound or a net mouth scramble. May had the puck, shot it on his backhand, it deflects of Auld's pad and goes in. The time between the puck hitting the pad and going into the net was instantaneous.

Plus, it's Brad May. Dude isn't going to score much more, if at all, the rest of the season. Have you no heart Toronto?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #440
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I am legitmately excited to hear the NHL's bullshit explanation of this obvious blown call.

Seriously. I'm giddy.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #441
bbor
Pro Starter

It actually is a rule...When the ref in his mind intends to blow the whistle the play is dead from that point on regardless if he has blown the whistle or not.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #442
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
It actually is a rule...When the ref in his mind intends to blow the whistle the play is dead from that point on regardless if he has blown the whistle or not.

I know that's the (incredibly stupid) rule, but there is no way that the ref in his mind would have ever intended to blow the whistle before the puck was in the net. Unless he intended to blow the whistle while the puck was still on May's stick, then there really wasn't an opportunity for him to intend to blow it before the goal was scored.

There was not enough time to even think about intending to do anything between the puck hitting the pad and crossing the redline.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #443
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Plus, it's Brad May. Dude isn't going to score much more, if at all, the rest of the season. Have you no heart Toronto?

Seriously.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #444
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I am legitmately excited to hear the NHL's bullshit explanation of this obvious blown call.

Seriously. I'm giddy.

Nothing too surprising about the NHL's explanation:

NHL's Murphy explains no-goal call in Detroit - NHL.com - News

It's essentially as we thought, the ref says he intended to blow the whistle before the puck went into the net. As soon as he says that, apparently, the review process is at an end and the folks in the Toronto War Room shut it down.

I understand that's the rule, but I just don't see how that was possible here. Unless he intended to blow the whistle the moment the puck hit Auld's pad (there's no reason for that), he didn't intend to blow the whistle until after the puck went in. It's a bang-bang play. The puck hit Auld's pad and immediately crossed the line.

He finally blew the whistle a few seconds after the puck crossed the line, which also goes to show that unless he has some neurological issue between his brain and arm, I can't understand how their could be such a long gap between his intent and the action.

I am not really to torn up about this, but the explanation is bullshit and just doesn't conform to reality.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #445
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Why isn't the rule just when the whistle blows? You play till the guy blows the whistle. The puck has as much time as that to go in the net.

If you can dig it out of a goalie's pads and stuff it in the net in the time it takes for the ref to stuff the whistle in his mouth and blow, the goalie never really had the puck...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #446
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quick whistles suck. [/guy who made a living poking rebounds in and drawing penalties from poking the goalie]
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #447
bbor
Pro Starter

In case you have not realized...The Leafs are really bad.Thank god the Calgary/Chicago game is on here right after the Leaf game.Now i can get this bad taste out of my mouth.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #448
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
In case you have not realized...The Leafs are really bad.Thank god the Calgary/Chicago game is on here right after the Leaf game.Now i can get this bad taste out of my mouth.

Could that game have really gone any other way for our two teams at this point (aside from a Toronto win)? Just absurd.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #449
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Interesting Jackets/Stars game last night. Both teams came out and decided to play pretty chippy, with four fights in the first period. The first one, Derek Dorsett went after James Neal with a couple of "cross-checks", but Neal didn't want any part of him, so Trevor Daley takes his place. Likely, Dorsett was challenging Neal for fighting Derick Brassard last year and ending his season with a separated shoulder.

NOTE: I have no problem with Neal at this point. There's nothing really for him to gain by fighting Dorsett.

However, in the 2nd period, Neal strides from pretty far away to take a run at Dorsett and hits him in the numbers and a shoulder to the head. Dorsett is knocked out on the spot. The best comparison is of a boxer who just gets his bell rung and tries to get up, but falls back down. Its quite frightening:

The Jackets took advantage and scored 2 goals on the ensuing 5 min major and won the game 4-1.

Now, here's the million dollar question. How long does Neal get suspended for? How long SHOULD he get suspended for?

I'm biased, but I think 2-3 games is enough in this case. From what I've heard, its pretty comparable to the Ruutu hit earlier in the year (which I haven't seen), and he got 3 games (I think).
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #450
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Another bizarre "intent to blow" call, this one from OT of last night's Canes/Leafs game:

At least this one involved a scramble. But the whistle comes a good two seconds after the puck is clearly in the net. And the ref has the whistle in his mouth the whole time.