Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #151
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
When do Mizzou/Clemson play? I'm excited to watch this style of game?

Tomorrow afternoon in the 2nd set of games.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #152
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I am a BYU homer and to hear everyone hand the Florida game to BYU scares me...In fact, I do not have a lot of faith in them to win the 1st round game. If they do win, I see them beating K-State due to playing the same type of ball and the confidence builder needed from that first win, but then lose the next game.

You arent giving your team enough credit. Id have them going a lot further if it wasnt for a 2nd round game. Ken Pomeroy loves them.

http://kenpom.com/rate.php
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #153
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Tomorrow afternoon in the 2nd set of games.

Thank you!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #154
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Today's games are now posted for selection in the online viewer. Might want to bring up that viewer now rather than later. The server to load the viewer gets hammered at game time.

It's nice that they don't have those silly line queues this year. Must have added enough servers to handle the load.

Two hours to go!

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-18-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son gets screwed over by a 10p start time for Tennessee on a school night.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #156
SportsDino
College Prospect

Izzo is a great coach, just a question of whether he can connect with this team (I think they are suffering from a giant case of big head after last year). The first two games are good matchups so I think there is a chance for momentum heading into Kansas. Also it will be the first game of the weekend, so we'll probably come out with that ugly Big Ten basketball everyone hates, but potentially knocks teams out of their rhythm (see UConn and Kansas last year).

Kansas can put a stop to that though if they come out like UNC did last year. Come out as if the game is on the line, dominate the first ten minutes with your star power, and then run your starters back onto the court if State starts to make a run to get back in it. Don't get down early, cause coming back against State usually means the Spartans getting soft... if they are on their game the defense tends to take a lot of energy to overcome.

All this can be moot though, best to just throw the ball up and see what happens!
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #157
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
Izzo is a great coach, just a question of whether he can connect with this team (I think they are suffering from a giant case of big head after last year). The first two games are good matchups so I think there is a chance for momentum heading into Kansas. Also it will be the first game of the weekend, so we'll probably come out with that ugly Big Ten basketball everyone hates, but potentially knocks teams out of their rhythm (see UConn and Kansas last year).

Kansas can put a stop to that though if they come out like UNC did last year. Come out as if the game is on the line, dominate the first ten minutes with your star power, and then run your starters back onto the court if State starts to make a run to get back in it. Don't get down early, cause coming back against State usually means the Spartans getting soft... if they are on their game the defense tends to take a lot of energy to overcome.

All this can be moot though, best to just throw the ball up and see what happens!

They seem like they depend on Lucas too much and dont have much of a mid-range threat like they had last year. Lucious hasnt stepped his game up like I would have expected either. Like has been mentioned though they are coached by Izzo and it seems like he is as good as anyone at getting his team prepared around tourny time. Maryland is probably the perfect team to play in the 2nd round for them. They seem to feed off of finesse teams around tourny time.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #158
wade moore
lolzcat

Argh - ODU is an early game. I'll have to try to stream from work, but it's somewhat frowned upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #159
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

My couple of thoughts before the tourney starts about the team I love and the team I hate.........

-I'd like to think that Mizzou has the better coach in the Clemson/Mizzou matchup and that will be the difference. I honestly also believe that Clemson is the tougher of the two matchups this weekend for Mizzou. IF Mizzou can advance past Clemson, I think we have a very good chance of beating West Virginia. WVU is obviously the better of the two teams, but the quick turnaround coupled with the fact that WVU will be playing their 5th game in ten days when facing Mizzou provides us with an advantage that we won't have in the first game.

-Anyone who doesn't pick KU as national champions is a fool. Yes, you heard that from a Mizzou fan. They are the best team by a good size margin. People often talk about Collins and Aldrich when they talk about how good Kansas is. What really makes KU good is their quality of depth. Henry and Taylor would be leading scorers at most any other program. The Morris twins are extremely gifted when they put their mind to it. Morningstar and Reed will make you pay every time you double down on Aldrich by knocking home a wide open three pointer. I hope and pray that KU doesn't win a national championship. But they should be your top dog in every bracket you create.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-18-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #160
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There are some really amusing prop bets on BoDog right now, some surrounding Obamas picks.

Really excited for today, I don't blame people for not giving Udub much of a shot based on their entire body of work, but we have been playing with a different sense of urgency the past few weeks and athletically stack up against just about anybody.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #161
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
WVU is obviously the better of the two teams, but the quick turnaround coupled with the fact that WVU will be playing their 5th game in ten days when facing Mizzou provides us with an advantage that we won't have in the first game.

I really don't think 5 games in 10 days is a big deal when you've had 5 days rest in the middle of it.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
My couple of thoughts before the tourney starts about the team I love and the team I hate.........

-I'd like to think that Mizzou has the better coach in the Clemson/Mizzou matchup and that will be the difference. I honestly also believe that Clemson is the tougher of the two matchups this weekend for Mizzou. IF Mizzou can advance past Clemson, I think we have a very good chance of beating West Virginia. WVU is obviously the better of the two teams, but the quick turnaround coupled with the fact that WVU will be playing their 5th game in ten days when facing Mizzou provides us with an advantage that we won't have in the first game.

I totally disagree with you. Not because I am some expert on Mizzou, but because of the reasons you give.

1. WVU is pretty certain they will beat Morgan St and have probably done a considerable amount of film work and game planning for the Mizzou/Clemson style.

2. They had a 5 day layoff between now and the Big East final, plus, odds are WVU wins easily and rests guys in the second half while the Mizzo-Clemson game will likely be a 40 minute affair.

3. With regards to the amount of games played, these are 18-21 year old kids, they aren't broken down 33 year old pros at the end of a 72 game season, physically WVU will be just fine.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #163
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Shame I have to work today, but at least I was able to take tomorrow off.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #164
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I totally disagree with you. Not because I am some expert on Mizzou, but because of the reasons you give.

1. WVU is pretty certain they will beat Morgan St and have probably done a considerable amount of film work and game planning for the Mizzou/Clemson style.

2. They had a 5 day layoff between now and the Big East final, plus, odds are WVU wins easily and rests guys in the second half while the Mizzo-Clemson game will likely be a 40 minute affair.

3. With regards to the amount of games played, these are 18-21 year old kids, they aren't broken down 33 year old pros at the end of a 72 game season, physically WVU will be just fine.

1. I'll agree to some extent, though other than the fact that they pressure, there's not a lot of similarities in how the pressure is run. MU runs it much differently than Clemson and both coaches will tell you exactly that.

2. I think you're underestimating Morgan State. I don't see that game as that big of a blowout.

3. This is just a situation where you have to see it to believe it. The stamina issue is always more evident in non-conference Mizzou games. Teams just aren't ready for that kind of pace.

We're obviously getting way ahead of ourselves here as Mizzou has to take care of business first, but it's definitely an intriguing matchup if it happens.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #165
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Did I ever say they were "SO GOOD?" or did I miss what I wrote?

You listed a bunch of teams that they beat and said they don't stink. They stink, they stink to high heaven. Teams that don't stink don't fire their coach. Teams that don't stink don't end their season by losing to ND without Harangody, USF and St. John's by 25.

You want to defend Seton Hall and say they don't stink... ok. UConn is a horrible basketball team who's play by play announcer said 9 days ago that it was 'the low point in 20 years of Connecticut basketball'. I was there, stink isn't a strong enough word to describe that team.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #166
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ESPN really needs these games to start. Their coverage has deluded into something you would see on local access television. Watching ESPNU the past 2 days is like watching Weird Al in UHF.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #167
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

3. This is just a situation where you have to see it to believe it. The stamina issue is always more evident in non-conference Mizzou games. Teams just aren't ready for that kind of pace.

Mizzou's pace is 69.9 possessions per 40 minutes. Syracuse 69.7, Villanova 71.6, and Providence 71.8.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #168
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have no concerns that WVU will suffer from fatigue by potentially playing two games in three days. We won the Big East tournament, against a really good/competitive field, and also won the 76 Classic that featured teams like Butler, Texas ATM, and Minnesota. We play 11 to 12 deep.

Actually, the more I think about this pod of games in Buffalo, the more I like our chances with the matchups. Traditionally, Big East teams suffer when the refs call tight games. I think that, if the refs call a tight game, it will affect the winner of Mizzou/Clemson just as much or more than it would WVU. I also think Mizzou, should we met up, will have a tough time scoring against us due to our size/length, the fact that they will most likely have a physical/uptempo game, and they will have less recovery time. Hopefully, we have an easy time with Morgan State and Clemson/Mizzou play into overtime.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #169
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
You listed a bunch of teams that they beat and said they don't stink. They stink, they stink to high heaven. Teams that don't stink don't fire their coach. Teams that don't stink don't end their season by losing to ND without Harangody, USF and St. John's by 25.

You want to defend Seton Hall and say they don't stink... ok. UConn is a horrible basketball team who's play by play announcer said 9 days ago that it was 'the low point in 20 years of Connecticut basketball'. I was there, stink isn't a strong enough word to describe that team.

You should probably catch up on the rest of the thread. I dont believe I was ever defending Seton Hall or UConn. I believe the whole point of my posts was that it appears the Big East may be a bit overvalued this year.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-18-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #170
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You should probably catch up on the rest of the thread. I dont believe I was ever defending Seton Hall or UConn. I believe the whole point of my posts was that it appears the Big East may be a bit overvalued this year.

Well then you are right. Except I look and I'm not sure who is any better....
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #171
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
1. I'll agree to some extent, though other than the fact that they pressure, there's not a lot of similarities in how the pressure is run. MU runs it much differently than Clemson and both coaches will tell you exactly that.

2. I think you're underestimating Morgan State. I don't see that game as that big of a blowout.

We're obviously getting way ahead of ourselves here as Mizzou has to take care of business first, but it's definitely an intriguing matchup if it happens.

I don't think Huggins will be surprised by anything that Anderson does (and vice versa), they have played against each other, in conference, for five seasons (four while Huggins was at UC and Anderson at UAB, and another one while both "rookies" in the Big 12).
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #172
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Mizzou's pace is 69.9 possessions per 40 minutes. Syracuse 69.7, Villanova 71.6, and Providence 71.8.

There's a big difference between walking the ball up the court every possession and forcing your way through a press and extended half court defenses.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #173
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well then you are right. Except I look and I'm not sure who is any better....

Big 12 has very good conference comparisons. They are 1st in head to head vs other Big conferences and 2nd in conference computer rankings to the ACC who has less teams.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #174
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
There's a big difference between walking the ball up the court every possession and forcing your way through a press and extended half court defenses.

And I quickly remember why it's impossible to actually have any sort of discussion with you.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #175
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Big 12 has very good conference comparisons. They are 1st in head to head vs other Big conferences and 2nd in conference computer rankings to the ACC who has less teams.

And I think Kansas is by far and away the best team, and like Baylor and Kansas State as well. The computer conference rankings really get thrown off by DePaul and Rutgers when you are comparing the Big East to others. DePaul is so bad that in past seasons when you remove them the Big East leaps way up.

There is just no way in the world that the ACC is the best conference. Georgia Tech and NC State as a semifinal in their tourney was an abomination. Terribly played and terribly coached by even the standards of the ACC over the past 5 years. They look good in the computers because they lack a Colorado or Rutgers or Oklahoma, but does anyone really expect anything this weekend from Clemson or Tech or Wake?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #176
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm not sure if possessions per 40 minutes is really the best way to measure that kind of thing. Doesn't that pretty much just tell you how long the team takes until they get a shot off? I think to judge the effect on stamina, you'd have to figure out if the players are running around a lot, or just standing around waiting to set something up -- in fact, I'd expect a team that's trying to wear out the opposition to hold on to the ball longer and make the defense chase them around for a while.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #177
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I don't think Huggins will be surprised by anything that Anderson does (and vice versa), they have played against each other, in conference, for five seasons (four while Huggins was at UC and Anderson at UAB, and another one while both "rookies" in the Big 12).

Actually, I believe they only coached against each other for three years in CUSA before UC moved right before Anderson's final year at UAB. Huggins record against Anderson is 3-2 with the home team winning every single matchup. They've never met on a neutral court.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #178
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I'm not sure if possessions per 40 minutes is really the best way to measure that kind of thing. Doesn't that pretty much just tell you how long the team takes until they get a shot off? I think to judge the effect on stamina, you'd have to figure out if the players are running around a lot, or just standing around waiting to set something up -- in fact, I'd expect a team that's trying to wear out the opposition to hold on to the ball longer and make the defense chase them around for a while.

Shots+(FTs/2)+TO's is basically the equation.

Id agree that possessions against Mizzou is different then possessions against Providence but I still dont think a bunch of kids are going to be tired after a 3-4 day break. Just watching the tourny's last week it appeared the teams playing back to backs had better records than the teams with days off.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-18-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #179
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Teams that don't stink don't fire their coach.

They fired him because he was an &*(^&&, not because of his record. The team had shown steady improvement in his 4 years.

Funny, they fired him for his boorish attitude, the character issues of the players, plus they want someone who gets to the tournament every so often. Sounds like the guy they want is Louis Orr!

Last edited by Samdari : 03-18-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #180
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here we go!!!!!!!! Time for some basketball!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #181
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
And I quickly remember why it's impossible to actually have any sort of discussion with you.

Yeah, it's a little much at times and even though I love Mizzou it is still way over the top. Do I hope we will give WVU a game?(if we beat Clemson) Yes. Does the evidence show that we can handle a team with tall and talented players? No.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #182
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, I believe they only coached against each other for three years in CUSA before UC moved right before Anderson's final year at UAB. Huggins record against Anderson is 3-2 with the home team winning every single matchup. They've never met on a neutral court.

Huggins never had the opportunity to coach UC in the Big East -- he was dismissed prior to their first game. After checking, they were actually only in CUSA for three seasons ('02/'03 -- '04/0'5) and then again in the Big 12 in '06/'07. I'm not sure on their records against one another, but I'm sure that they are each familiar with one another's systems (though probably not with the caliber of talent they currently have).
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #183
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Reynolds and Fisher will not start for Villanova, but will play. No word on what they did.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #184
Swaggs
Coordinator

Scary fact (found after checking Huggins' history on wiki): Huggins has 666 wins entering the tournament.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #185
wade moore
lolzcat

I grabbed the $10 MMOD app for the iPod.

It's pretty sweet.

GO ODU!

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #186
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
-Anyone who doesn't pick KU as national champions is a fool. Yes, you heard that from a Mizzou fan. They are the best team by a good size margin. People often talk about Collins and Aldrich when they talk about how good Kansas is. What really makes KU good is their quality of depth. Henry and Taylor would be leading scorers at most any other program. The Morris twins are extremely gifted when they put their mind to it. Morningstar and Reed will make you pay every time you double down on Aldrich by knocking home a wide open three pointer. I hope and pray that KU doesn't win a national championship. But they should be your top dog in every bracket you create.

You're just doing this to screw us, aren't you?

It doesn't work if you're doing it intentionally. It's like the guy who pulls some prediction out of his ass and it happens. When he follows it up with something like "Oh, and I'd like strippers to deliver me a million dollar", it doesn't happen, does it?

I think of all the teams in the tourney, we have the best chance. However, if you're giving me Kansas or the field for a bet, I'll take the field every time.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-18-2010 at 11:44 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #187
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I took KU in my bracket. Over...'Nova I think, IIRC.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #188
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Stupid CBS...teasing me with BYU then moving to the RM/Nova game...now I have to watch the game streaming on the computer.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #189
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Scary fact (found after checking Huggins' history on wiki): Huggins has 666 wins entering the tournament.

I know some K-State fans who would think this is apt.

SI

Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #190
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
They fired him because he was an &*(^&&, not because of his record. The team had shown steady improvement in his 4 years.

Funny, they fired him for his boorish attitude, the character issues of the players, plus they want someone who gets to the tournament every so often. Sounds like the guy they want is Louis Orr!

Had he been playing today and not Tuesday they wouldn't have fired him, if they really cared about his personality they never would have hired him in the first place.

Abraham is a very good player at RMU, I saw him in person earlier this year and he is excellent.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 03-18-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #191
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Harrongody with 2 early fouls
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #192
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Shots+(FTs/2)+TO's is basically the equation.

Id agree that possessions against Mizzou is different then possessions against Providence but I still dont think a bunch of kids are going to be tired after a 3-4 day break. Just watching the tourny's last week it appeared the teams playing back to backs had better records than the teams with days off.

I donīt think itīs a matter of stamina, but of being mentally fresh and able to execute under pressure and staying with a game plan. Itīs one thing preparing for a pressing defense, another to actually execute come game time, yet anotherto beat it often enough to stay in the game 30 minutes in and then there comes the point where you start to grow tired of having to run hard with the ball after being pushed to the sideline or come to deliver help for a teammate in the backcourt or make the Xth "simple" pass to get the ball up court methodically.
At some point a lot of teams give in and force the issue. As said, i wouldnīt say that is or isnīt the case with WVU as i havenīt seen them play.

Not going to comment on the teams in question, just thought iīd chime in with that

Hate Gonzagaīs first round matchup, Florida State have a lot of length up front which might spell trouble for Gonzagaīs front court and especially Harris who propably isnīt used to using his quickness after playing 6ī7 PFs most of the games ... (plus his perimeter skills arenīt earth shattering anyway, pretty good but not brilliant really) .

Canīt wait to get off work and get home (propably in another half hour), hope the March madness on demand option works ...

Last edited by whomario : 03-18-2010 at 11:47 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #193
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I strive to do what I did last year where I had one game on tv and two on different laptops at my house. However, I'm at work now so only one game at a time.

Tho I could have two different ones, if I had one on my site computer and one on my laptop... hm...

SI

Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #194
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I strive to do what I did last year where I had one game on tv and two on different laptops at my house. However, I'm at work now so only one game at a time.

Tho I could have two different ones, if I had one on my site computer and one on my laptop... hm...

SI

This is what I have going on right now!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #195
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nice run there in BYU!

SI

Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #196
wade moore
lolzcat

Weird how ODU is the more physical team in this game. ND is leading based on 3-point shots while ODU is owning them inside on offense.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #197
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's ODU, tho. They have big conference size but not quite skill.

SI

Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #198
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

SI

I have a similar set up. My wife thinks I am crazy but she is a woman which means she is stupid.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #199
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's ODU, tho. They have big conference size but not quite skill.

SI

ODU staying in zone is just a bad move IMO. No problems with switching it up to keep Dotre Dame on its toes but sticking with it is going to burn them I think.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #200
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

And we have nova in early trouble.