Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #51
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Hmm... so it's the routines and social aspect that have you wondering. How does she act in social situations? Does she do things that are considered "socially awkward" or does she just like to play on her own? Also, does she seek interaction only when she wants something?
She basically plays on her own. She doesn't hit other kids or act out, although she'll occasionally cry if something bothers her. Like you say, she'll work with others if it benefits her (like asking another kid to ride on a see-saw with her). With us at home, the interaction tends to be closer to regular playing and turn-taking.

Quote:
Also, how is her sensitivity to sounds and light? Kids on the spectrum are hypersensitive to loud sounds and/or bright lights, it's too much stimulation for them and they often cover their ears or wanna wear shades all the time.
She does seem sensitive to certain types of loud noises, which can cause problems because then she'll remember the experience and be afraid of it happening again. For example, she's nervous about going into public bathrooms because she was once caught off-guard by a loud hand dryer. On the other hand, it's inconsistent -- she's made it through fire drills without much problem.

She doesn't seem especially sensitive to light. She'll ask for her sunglasses if it's very bright in the car or outside but that's about the extent of it.

Maple Leafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #52
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

It's amazing visiting this thread over 8 years later. Our son has made such progress, it's pretty incredible. He has such a quirky sense of humor that completely throws us off. Antmeister and I post some of this stuff on Facebook, but for those who haven't seen those posts, here's an example:

"Landon's way of threatening his father.

As I was looking in the grocery bag, I joked that I was going to eat his dessert I saw in there.

He paused and then immediately said, "If you eat my dessert, I am going to figure out a way to get nanobots to extract the molecules from your mouth so I can make a new dessert."

Um okay, I'll leave it alone, because now I fear in about 5 to 10 years, he would do something like that."

lol

Yesterday I asked him to rate his jelly beans. He said, "The last number from 7 squared." Umm... okay, a 9. He can never just give us a straight answer
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #53
Flasch186
Coordinator

Turns out he may be this planet’s only hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's amazing visiting this thread over 8 years later. Our son has made such progress, it's pretty incredible. He has such a quirky sense of humor that completely throws us off. Antmeister and I post some of this stuff on Facebook, but for those who haven't seen those posts, here's an example:

"Landon's way of threatening his father.

As I was looking in the grocery bag, I joked that I was going to eat his dessert I saw in there.

He paused and then immediately said, "If you eat my dessert, I am going to figure out a way to get nanobots to extract the molecules from your mouth so I can make a new dessert."

Um okay, I'll leave it alone, because now I fear in about 5 to 10 years, he would do something like that."

lol

Yesterday I asked him to rate his jelly beans. He said, "The last number from 7 squared." Umm... okay, a 9. He can never just give us a straight answer

I always crack up when I see your FB posts about Landon's responses, DC. Love his sense of humor.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #55
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I always crack up when I see your FB posts about Landon's responses, DC. Love his sense of humor.

Me too. I think they are great
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #56
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Turns out he may be this planet’s only hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so. The stuff he knows and the stuff he watches, and the way his mind processes these things is so unique. When we ask him what he wants be when he grows up (in high school they emphasize this a lot), he doesn't feel pressure. Everything is always in his timeline. It always has, actually.
Even from the moment of birth, as he was really late. Anyway, getting off topic, he says he wants to do something with math and science, but he doesn't know what. He's currently being fastracked through the Engineering Academy at his high school, as he's pretty advanced in both science and math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Me too. I think they are great

Haha, thanks guys
Old 01-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #57
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

dola,

Here's another one that totally cracked me up... in the library. He thinks it's easier to create algebraic equations instead of memorizing his own phone number

"My son has an interesting way of thinking. About 3 weeks ago, on Christmas break, I asked Landon if he remembered his phone number. Surprisingly for a kid that can recall birthdays and significant dates in science, he did not. He stated he only remembered the first 3 digits (512). I told him it is important for him to remember this number, but he straight out told me he can only remember the phone number if he has to solve for it. I was puzzled, but intrigued. So he spent the next 15 minutes coming up with the following:

512-xxy-zzyy

8-3x
4y-3
3ᶻ/3

The first line is the phone number in x, y and z. The bottom 3 lines are what you use to solve for the phone number. I spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to go about solving this since he did not provide me with any key, but I eventually did. The clue here is that each letter will solve to a single digit.

But damn…..he can recall a phone number with letters instead of numbers and then remember 3 algebra problems to solve it. I figured this was something he would forget after 3 weeks, but no. I asked him yesterday by first asking him his phone number in x y and z and then I asked he to give me his phone number and he solved it.,

I have changed one of those letters to protect the innocent since my son would be upset if multiple people pasted his phone number in this post. By doing this, the number will be slightly different (2 digits will differ). Have fun solving for the phone number."

Since this post, he has used the algebraic equations to remember his phone number. He now has it memorized lol
Old 01-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #58
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I was almost held back in kindergarten. Teacher asked me if I wanted to say the alphabet, I said no. Mom came up there and told her that you can't ask me. Mom looked at me and said say the alphabet and it got said. She wasn't a happy camper. Wife says I'm the biggest pain in the ass in the world. I always made a game of things also. Makes things more enjoyable, bet your kid is extremely positive about things.

Last edited by TCY Junkie : 01-21-2020 at 04:33 PM.
TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #59
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I was almost held back in kindergarten. Teacher asked me if I wanted to say the alphabet, I said no. Mom came up there and told her that you can't ask me. Mom looked at me and said say the alphabet and it got said. She wasn't a happy camper. Wife says I'm the biggest pain in the ass in the world. I always made a game of things also. Makes things more enjoyable, bet your kid is extremely positive about things.

Making a game out of things is fun! I do it too, for several things. This is a little off topic, but I follow the Vipassana way of meditation. It's a way to observe the body and feel sensations all over. The trick is, to be laser focused. I feel a sensation (it could feel like a feather touching my skin, or warmth, or prickles, or pain, etc) and when it's over it's like... ooh, what's next! What's next?! It's like a game I play to make it fun.

But to answer your question, yes, he is, actually. I was in a car accident over a year ago and when I called Antmeister and told him, he told the kids. Our daughter started crying, she was worried. But our son was fine. The way he rationalized it was... she called and was able to speak. That means she wasn't hurt enough that she couldn't do these things. The fact that she was able to call means she's a-ok.