Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #28351
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What are these dozen other issues? His campaigns have almost exclusively been about race.

I very specifically avoided talking about this in my answer b/c I think it doesn't matter what the reality is. The perception is all that matters here. And personally I'm missing the value in having that specific discussion/argument with a non-trump voter over a hypothetical? But go nuts, I guess
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #28352
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Nope, you're right. Explicitly asked for evidence and then ignored it entirely once given.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

I looked at the list of links you provided, and I don't agree that the actual policies are racist. I do agree that Trump's rhetoric and presentation is often racist.

I don't think that trying to prevent people from illegally entering the country, including terrorists, is racist. I don't think that merit based employment or merit based college admissions are racist.

With that being said, as a Libertarian, I think that anti-discrimination laws should be vigorously enforced, whereas the racists tend to look the other way and ignore them.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #28353
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I very specifically avoided talking about this in my answer b/c I think it doesn't matter what the reality is. The perception is all that matters here. And personally I'm missing the value in having that specific discussion/argument with a non-trump voter over a hypothetical? But go nuts, I guess

Doesn't sound like "those issue" really exist.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #28354
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
With that being said, as a Libertarian, I think that anti-discrimination laws should be vigorously enforced, whereas the racists tend to look the other way and ignore them.

A libertarian who supports a massive government department to enforce illegal immigration and heaps of money to build a wall which requires enforcing eminent domain to take private property from citizens.

You sure you're a libertarian?
Old 09-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #28355
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I looked at the list of links you provided, and I don't agree that the actual policies are racist. I do agree that Trump's rhetoric and presentation is often racist.

I don't think that trying to prevent people from illegally entering the country, including terrorists, is racist. I don't think that merit based employment or merit based college admissions are racist.

He's running on those policies for explicitly racist reasons.

It'd be like if a Democratic candidate said they were fully pro-choice because they think that black people would have more abortions. The Democrats would run away from that person in a heartbeat.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #28356
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
His campaigns have almost exclusively been about race.

Exactly what I was talking about earlier with missing the point vis a vis Trump support. Let's go to the record on this; what polling data are you aware of that contradicts the ones I've repeatedly referenced indicating that issues of race were actually a pretty small component of Trump's appeal, and in fact for a significant number a largely irrelevant negative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou
Am I the only one who thinks that we're looking at attempts at full-blown armed uprisings if the Dems pack the court?

There'd be a lot of sound and fury but that's about it IMO. I don't think there's enough people who really care about almost anything to do that. Bluster, activism, protest, organization yes, but actual revolutionary activities require a significant segment of the population to be willing to die for it. We're way too attached to our standard of living to do so.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #28357
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Exactly what I was talking about earlier with missing the point vis a vis Trump support. Let's go to the record on this; what polling data are you aware of that contradicts the ones I've repeatedly referenced indicating that issues of race were actually a pretty small component of Trump's appeal, and in fact for a significant number a largely irrelevant negative?

Do you think people are answering polls stating their number one issue is making sure black people don't move next door to them? Come on.

Listen to his speech or read the ads he puts out. His entire campaign is based on race. The idea that if the Democrats win, you'll have a black or hispanic neighbor in the suburbs.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #28358
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

He has no health care plan whatsoever which is particularly bad during a pandemic.

This is not fair. He has a plan to take healthcare away from millions.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #28359
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
What are these dozen other issues? His campaigns have almost exclusively been about race.

Government regulation, taxes, public vs private health care, court appointees, climate change (cyclical vs man-made), foreign aid, cybersecurity and digital policy, role of the military, immigration reform, just to name a few.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #28360
cuervo72
Head Coach

I never quite get the anti-regulation stance. Why do we have regulations? So the unscrupulous and/or powerful DON'T SCREW (or kill) PEOPLE!

It's like playing in a league with Chubby. You think you're fine, until he comes up with some angle that is shitty and ruins it for everyone else. So, you make a rule. That's regulations, right there. Because the world has Chubbys.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #28361
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

Study: racism and sexism predict support for Trump much more than economic dissatisfaction - Vox

Quote:
A new paper by political scientists Brian Schaffner, Matthew MacWilliams, and Tatishe Nteta puts the blame back on the same factors people pointed to before the election: racism and sexism. And the research has a very telling chart to prove it, showing that voters’ measures of sexism and racism correlated much more closely with support for Trump than economic dissatisfaction after controlling for factors like partisanship and political ideology

Quote:
Several polls found that Trump supporters were more likely to profess negative views of black people, Muslims, and Latinos, as well as concerns that immigrants threaten US values. One telling study, conducted by researchers at UC Santa Barbara and Stanford University shortly before the election, found that if people who strongly identified as white were told that nonwhite groups will outnumber white people in 2042, they became more likely to support Trump.

Another set of studies, conducted by researchers Carly Wayne, Nicholas Valentino, and Marzia Oceno, found that measures of benevolent sexism — meaning more traditional, chivalrous views of women and men’s proper roles in society — didn’t correlate closely with support for Trump. But measures of hostile sexism did, suggesting that sexism in support of Trump seems to be more about hostility toward women than old-fashioned views on gender roles.

Quote:
As Schaffner, MacWilliams, and Nteta write in their paper, there’s growing evidence that 2016 was unique — in that racism and sexism played a more powerful role than recent presidential elections. “Specifically, we find no statistically significant relationship between either the racism or sexism scales and favorability ratings of either [Republican candidate] John McCain or Mitt Romney,” they write. “However, the pattern is quite strong for favorability ratings of Donald Trump.”

(Yes, I know this is racism and sexism - but a few of the studies named focused on racism)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-21-2020 at 04:22 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #28362
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Government regulation, taxes, public vs private health care, court appointees, climate change (cyclical vs man-made), foreign aid, cybersecurity and digital policy, role of the military, immigration reform, just to name a few.

He has absolutely no position on most of those issues. The only ones I see are taxes which he feels in short term people shouldn't pay so the stock market can go up while he is in office. And climate change I guess.

The rest of those issues have been a cluttered mess with no consistency.

I'd also add that Biden has actually supported the conservative position on most of those issues in his career. So the idea that he wouldn't be palatable to them likely means there is another factor at play.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-21-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #28363
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I never quite get the anti-regulation stance. Why do we have regulations? So the unscrupulous and/or powerful DON'T SCREW (or kill) PEOPLE!

It's like playing in a league with Chubby. You think you're fine, until he comes up with some angle that is shitty and ruins it for everyone else. So, you make a rule. That's regulations, right there. Because the world has Chubbys.

Besides in 2016, Trump ran on reigning in big business - ie, MORE REGULATION. Especially for those that outsource. Tariffs are more regulations as well.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #28364
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
A libertarian who supports a massive government department to enforce illegal immigration and heaps of money to build a wall which requires enforcing eminent domain to take private property from citizens.

You sure you're a libertarian?

I'm not in agreement with all of the traditional libertarian positions, including open borders.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #28365
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I mean, let's imagine that instead of Trump and his dog whistle racism, we had David Duke as a candidate. And people still said they were voting for him because they agreed with him on those 12 issues. That still okay? You wouldn't judge those people? You'd be okay hanging out with them?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #28366
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
I never quite get the anti-regulation stance. Why do we have regulations?

It's not a question of having regulations, it's a question of how many are sufficient and how many are unnecessary. Hundreds? Thousands?
Old 09-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #28367
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I mean, let's imagine that instead of Trump and his dog whistle racism, we had David Duke as a candidate. And people still said they were voting for him because they agreed with him on those 12 issues. That still okay? You wouldn't judge those people? You'd be okay hanging out with them?

I can't speak for others, but I for one would not want to hang out with folks who were OK voting for a convicted felon who was the Grand Wizard of the KKK.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #28368
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not in agreement with all of the traditional libertarian positions, including open borders.

Don't think the libertarian's have agreement on open borders internally.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #28369
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
It's not a question of having regulations, it's a question of how many are sufficient and how many are unnecessary. Hundreds? Thousands?

Chubbys never stop coming up with new angles.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #28370
RainMaker
General Manager

The guy just forced a tech company to sell and has repeatedly threatened others if they don't allow his supporters on their platform. He imposed billions in tariffs and has threatened retaliatory actions against companies that choose to move abroad.

His stance on regulations seems to come down to who said what on Fox and Friends. There is no consistency.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #28371
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Don't think the libertarian's have agreement on open borders internally.

Real libertarians do (which is an incredibly small percent of the population). The one's who cosplay because they want legal weed or looking for a justification for voting for a racist are not really libertarians.

A closed border enforced by a massive government agency that restricts voluntary association and freedom of choice is the antithesis of libertarian thought.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #28372
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Well this is interesting...

Old 09-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #28373
Ben E Lou

Ah, ok, she clarified that some people are already voting in the upcoming election. Got it.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #28374
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sorry for not responding sooner.

I am perfectly fine with amending my statement to: If you vote for Trump you are actively supporting a racist who is prioritizing legislation on limiting immigration, challenging the citizenship of existing immigrants, discrimination of Muslims, and rolling back affirmative action & anti-discrimination laws. Is that accurate?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-21-2020 at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #28375
Ben E Lou

Heh, looking at the comments to the initial post, I wasn't the only one who read it the way I did. Quite a few comments from the left and the right indicating they thought she was saying Trump should get to nominate.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #28376
Edward64
Head Coach

PSA. New definition of "racism" from Merriam-Webster (expected) and also from ADL (unexpected).

Webster
Racism | Definition of Racism by Merriam-Webster

Quote:
1: a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2a: the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another
b: a political or social system founded on racism and designed to execute its principles

ADL is below, smells of PC overreaction. I don't know if this means only white people can be racist but it's nonsensical in the sense that a bunch of asians aren't racist (even though we know they are by the earlier definition).

ADL
What is Racism? | ADL
Quote:
Racism: The marginalization and/or oppression of people of color based on a socially constructed racial hierarchy that privileges white people.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-21-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #28377
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I know Daniel Dale and people like him have a bias/agenda as part of a job they have to do, but God bless this guy for faithfully reporting on Trump's comments and then dutifully explaining what an effing moron he is without just saying it in those terms.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #28378
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
PSA. New definition of "racism" from Merriam-Webster (expected) and also from ADL (unexpected).

Webster
Racism | Definition of Racism by Merriam-Webster

ADL is below, smells of PC overreaction. I don't know if this means only white people can be racist but it's nonsensical in the sense that a bunch of asians aren't racist (even though we know they are by the earlier definition).

ADL
What is Racism? | ADL

I'm literally laughing out loud at this turn of events on the ADL definition. How will you cope?!
Old 09-21-2020, 05:53 PM   #28379
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm literally laughing out loud at this turn of events on the ADL definition. How will you cope?!

Be glad to have a one-on-one conversation with you if you promise not to revert to a potty mouth, toss out insults, or bring your gang in to overwhelm a conversation. Let me know.

If it helps, we can create a separate thread and ask no one else to participate?

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-21-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #28380
Butter
Coordinator

Like, seriously who gives a fuck about the textbook definition of racism. Why is this constantly being brought up. CONSTANTLY. Give it a rest.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #28381
Butter
Coordinator

So if I could ask Ben and maybe anyone else here who is strongly pro-life... why does the concern that many people have around that seem to end at termination of pregnancies?

Aren't there lots of issues that go on nowadays that are traditionally conservative positions and also seemingly anti-life positions? Or an I thinking about these things in the wrong way? I really want to believe that there are a lot of people bothered by things like the police murdering people of any color without cause or trial, or ICE performing unwanted hysterectomies on immigrants, or prioritizing the economy over lives of the COVID at-risk?

Not trying to be a jerk with this question, I'm honestly curious about the rationale.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #28382
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hydrosonic?

Old 09-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #28383
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cuervo wins the thread
Old 09-21-2020, 07:31 PM   #28384
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Be glad to have a one-on-one conversation with you if you promise not to revert to a potty mouth, toss out insults, or bring your gang in to overwhelm a conversation. Let me know.

If it helps, we can create a separate thread and ask no one else to participate?

Promise not to revert to a potty mouth?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #28385
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Promise not to revert to a potty mouth?

SI

If you did a search on cuss words in this thread, you'll find the vast majority of them come from the radical left.

The cuss words themselves don't matter to me but, when used during an intense discussion, they are an early warning/first sign (and this is typically when the "bros" show up to pile on) that the discussion is going downhill quickly. Many of the radical left here get agitated because of their inability to accept that good people have honest differences of opinion. The cuss words are inevitably replaced with "racist", "disingenuous", "troll" etc. and other personal attacks.

Think of it as a litmus test or commitment to not have the conversation eventually devolve into bitter acrimony.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-21-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #28386
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Like, seriously who gives a fuck about the textbook definition of racism. Why is this constantly being brought up. CONSTANTLY. Give it a rest.

I would not normally respond to you but don't want other moderates to think I am ignoring this. Don't feel obligated to respond to me.

The simple answer is if you do not define terms, it significantly increases chance of misunderstanding & confusion. In my line of work, I define terms & conditions, key assumptions, deliverables, success criteria, milestones etc. The theory is the more "transparent" you are to the client and within the team, the better for the project. I have found this to be absolutely true with my clients ... admittedly it may not work as well in this forum with more partisan views.

This particular instance, I thought it significant enough to bring up because the ADL definition has radically changed and Webster has changed one of 3 definitions.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 PM   #28387
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The simple answer is if you do not define terms, it significantly increases chance of misunderstanding & confusion.

I'm sure there are millions of Trump supporters in red states just saying to themselves "but I don't meet the ADL definition of a racist....."
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #28388
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Rudy Giuliani, the former Mayor of New York, has said President Donald Trump wanted a “Muslim ban” and instructed him to put together a commission to show him “the right way to do it legally”.

In an interview with Fox News, Mr Giuliani, currently the White House cyber security advisor, said the commission focused on “danger” imposed by the countries implicated in the executive order, not religion, which he called “perfectly legal, perfectly sensible”.

They come out and admit this shit. Trump literally says to someone "I want a muslim ban, tell me how to do it legally" - they come up with a way to limit as much muslim travel and immigration into the US without being blatantly unconstitutional, they go on fox news and explain it in exactly those words, then when people get all mad they just say "ah we never said that"

And since Mitch McConnell is in charge of the senate, good luck impeaching anyone for admitting to these things over and over and over and over.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #28389
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm sure there are millions of Trump supporters in red states just saying to themselves "but I don't meet the ADL definition of a racist....."

"... but am a bigot"
Old 09-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #28390
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
"... but am a bigot"

you spelled patriot wrong
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #28391
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you spelled patriot wrong

I'm not going to try read your mind or intentions (like the other post about a week ago). It seems way too open ended to me so I'll leave it as is unless you want to state your perspective plainly.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #28392
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Hydrosonic?

Isnt this a Trump commercial in Michigan?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #28393
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So if I could ask Ben and maybe anyone else here who is strongly pro-life... why does the concern that many people have around that seem to end at termination of pregnancies?

Aren't there lots of issues that go on nowadays that are traditionally conservative positions and also seemingly anti-life positions? Or an I thinking about these things in the wrong way? I really want to believe that there are a lot of people bothered by things like the police murdering people of any color without cause or trial, or ICE performing unwanted hysterectomies on immigrants, or prioritizing the economy over lives of the COVID at-risk?

Not trying to be a jerk with this question, I'm honestly curious about the rationale.
Posting from my phone in bed, so abbreviated, but a quick set of points. I could write a fairly long treatise on this off the top of my head if you’re not careful.

When I was coming up in the faith in the later 80s and early 90s, we had a Pharisee problem in the Church—people who hold to maintaining outward piety and demanding it from others. (I am susceptible to this way of thinking. I have never smoked, been drunk, or gotten high, remained a virgin until I was married, do not gamble or look at porn, etc. That’s not to say that those aren’t good practices, but genuine devotion shouldn’t be replaced by with outward acts.) Nowadays we have a Sadducee problem. They were a lesser known sect that Jesus rebuked in Matthew 22, (late in the chapter, around verse 35-40ish,) saying that they did not know the Scriptures, nor the power of God. Similarly, many of politically-oriented folks who claim the name of Christ today are woefully lacking in both their personal study and understanding of the Bible, and they live in fear, which is ultimately a lack of understanding of the power of God. (Faith should be the opposite of fear, essentially.)

So, basically these Sadducee-like folks have co-opted and distorted what the pro life position should look like because they either don’t know the Bible very well, or they let their fears overrule their faith.

I posted this vid on FB a couple of months or so ago that heavily aligns with what a Biblical pro-life position *should* look like, with a few supporting Scriptures: https://www.facebook.com/benelou/vid...djiXTogA6WYWn2

More on that front is my currently-pinned Tweet: https://twitter.com/benelou/status/12946

Not to get too preachy, but the bottom line is that Jesus as portrayed in the Bible was the perfect and complete embodiment of both Grace AND Truth. Therefore, an authentic pro-life position (and any other) should be just that.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #28394
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you did a search on cuss words in this thread, you'll find the vast majority of them come from the radical left.

The cuss words themselves don't matter to me but, when used during an intense discussion, they are an early warning/first sign (and this is typically when the "bros" show up to pile on) that the discussion is going downhill quickly. Many of the radical left here get agitated because of their inability to accept that good people have honest differences of opinion. The cuss words are inevitably replaced with "racist", "disingenuous", "troll" etc. and other personal attacks.

Think of it as a litmus test or commitment to not have the conversation eventually devolve into bitter acrimony.

That's... ok. You know, I strongly disagree but I asked - you answered. Fair enough.

EDIT: I would say profanity directed at a person is quite personal (unless as an interjection like "WTF"). But if it's about an issue, it can be used as a barometer of how strongly someone feels about an issue - nothing more, nothing less. And much more being read into it than that and telling someone how to express it feels a lot like one of those terms I don't like very much: "tone policing".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-21-2020 at 09:54 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:56 AM   #28395
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I posted this vid on FB a couple of months or so ago that heavily aligns with what a Biblical pro-life position *should* look like, with a few supporting Scriptures: https://www.facebook.com/benelou/vid...djiXTogA6WYWn2

Though not a person of faith, that video comes really close to capturing my general position on abortion. Unfortunately, it really does not serve well as a wartime propaganda video which is what is required by both sides of this and most issues.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #28396
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Posting from my phone in bed, so abbreviated, but a quick set of points. I could write a fairly long treatise on this off the top of my head if you’re not careful.

When I was coming up in the faith in the later 80s and early 90s, we had a Pharisee problem in the Church—people who hold to maintaining outward piety and demanding it from others. (I am susceptible to this way of thinking. I have never smoked, been drunk, or gotten high, remained a virgin until I was married, do not gamble or look at porn, etc. That’s not to say that those aren’t good practices, but genuine devotion shouldn’t be replaced by with outward acts.) Nowadays we have a Sadducee problem. They were a lesser known sect that Jesus rebuked in Matthew 22, (late in the chapter, around verse 35-40ish,) saying that they did not know the Scriptures, nor the power of God. Similarly, many of politically-oriented folks who claim the name of Christ today are woefully lacking in both their personal study and understanding of the Bible, and they live in fear, which is ultimately a lack of understanding of the power of God. (Faith should be the opposite of fear, essentially.)

So, basically these Sadducee-like folks have co-opted and distorted what the pro life position should look like because they either don’t know the Bible very well, or they let their fears overrule their faith.

More on that front is my currently-pinned Tweet: https://twitter.com/benelou/status/12946

Not to get too preachy, but the bottom line is that Jesus as portrayed in the Bible was the perfect and complete embodiment of both Grace AND Truth. Therefore, an authentic pro-life position (and any other) should be just that.

I watched the video and found it interesting. Never heard "from the womb to the tomb" before.

I don't agree with the anti-abortion position, but I understand where it comes from and respect it. I do wish people had more actual compassion for their fellow human and the video does address that, but I just wonder how many really listen? Thanks for responding.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #28397
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

Quote:

How about separation of church and state? Keep your so-called morals out of government when they don’t represent anything close to the majority. Or do you just pick and choose parts of the constitution to follow like you do with that little book of fantasy stories of yours?

Last edited by BillyMadison : 09-22-2020 at 08:47 AM.
BillyMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #28398
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison View Post
How about separation of church and state? Keep your so-called morals out of government when they don’t represent anything close to the majority. Or do you just pick and choose parts of the constitution to follow like you do with that little book of fantasy stories of yours?

Well that escalated quickly...

---

Though Ben, I do think you are being a little unfair to the Sadducees. The main difference between the Pharisees and Sadducees was the oral Torah. The Sadducees believed that ONLY the books of the Torah should be followed. The Pharisees believed the oral Torah was also part of the faith. So that's when Jesus goes off on the Pharisees for following laws that they made. The Sadducees were more like fundamentalists - but doing so also personally benefited them since they were the Temple priests.

Anyways, I read Jesus's rebuke of the Sadducees going against their interpretation of Scripture - Scripture isn't a dead treatise to follow all the way to the letter, but it's a living faith with a living God.

So the Sadducees knew the Torah very, very well. They just walled it off and didn't understand what the Torah was for.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #28399
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison View Post

Ben was responding to a question directed at him. He was not trying to push his faith on anyone. You may have read it as such but I don't remember Ben having this "track record" so give it a break. Cancel culture is strong, it is.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-22-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #28400
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Ben was responding to a question directed at him. He was not trying to push his faith on anyone.

+1, of course.

BillyMadison is an extreme ass though, this is his thing, sadly.