Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #28451
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And every single expert I've seen have said that we are headed for a spike in October. And the flu is also coming. People having the flu and Covid at the same time is going to be a disaster.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #28452
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Indiana just quit.

Fucking quitters.

Americans used to actually be willing to sacrifice. Or, at least, that was the story we told ourselves.

Now we aren't even telling the story anymore. We're a nation of weak-ass quitters and don't even care who knows about it.

Were the stories of the United States sacrificing during wartime in the 40s just that? Like 40% of the people sacrificed while the other 60% didn't do jack but we integrated that 40% into the mythos because it sounded good and American? I mean, I have no idea and only one of my relatives who was alive then is alive today.

(EDIT: I should ask grandma. That said, people were more "insulated" in a way then - you couldn't see beyond your local town except what was broadcast on the news so I'm not sure what she'd "know". Now, I can see some dimwit on the other side of country or world broadcast to the entire world that he doesn't want to wear a mask and how proud he is of that)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-23-2020 at 02:38 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #28453
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And every single expert I've seen have said that we are headed for a spike in October. And the flu is also coming. People having the flu and Covid at the same time is going to be a disaster.

Flu might conceivably be skipped this year with how little circulation the Influenza Viruses had in the southern hemispere (due to a) covid measures in place and b) almost no travel in their autumn). Not smart to be counting the proverbial chickens yet but there's hope here
Especially since even basic precautions by a decent chunk of people would make a big dent. Remember that Influenza is much less explosively spreading by default, so takes less to impede (which makes it kinda shameful we don't make the effort as a society but instead are cool with people going to work sick etc).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #28454
RainMaker
General Manager

Everyone around here has been good. Masks on at stores, good social distancing. Barely any spread in my neighborhood. Doesn't seem that difficult.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #28455
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Flu might conceivably be skipped this year with how little circulation the Influenza Viruses had in the southern hemispere (due to a) covid measures in place and b) almost no travel in their autumn). Not smart to be counting the proverbial chickens yet but there's hope here
Especially since even basic precautions by a decent chunk of people would make a big dent. Remember that Influenza is much less explosively spreading by default, so takes less to impede (which makes it kinda shameful we don't make the effort as a society but instead are cool with people going to work sick etc).

Well that does give me some hope. I know the doctors and hospitals here are dreading flu season (we aren't doing a great job in the US state of Georgia).
Old 09-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #28456
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

This is sobering from the latest Atlantic issue released:

Quote:
We are accustomed to choosing electors by popular vote, but nothing in the Constitution says it has to be that way. Article II provides that each state shall appoint electors “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct.” Since the late 19th century, every state has ceded the decision to its voters. Even so, the Supreme Court affirmed in Bush v. Gore that a state “can take back the power to appoint electors.” How and when a state might do so has not been tested for well over a century.

Trump may test this. According to sources in the Republican Party at the state and national levels, the Trump campaign is discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority. With a justification based on claims of rampant fraud, Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly. The longer Trump succeeds in keeping the vote count in doubt, the more pressure legislators will feel to act before the safe-harbor deadline expires.

Later...

Quote:
When The Atlantic asked the Trump campaign about plans to circumvent the vote and appoint loyal electors, and about other strategies discussed in the article, the deputy national press secretary did not directly address the questions. “It’s outrageous that President Trump and his team are being villainized for upholding the rule of law and transparently fighting for a free and fair election,” Thea McDonald said in an email. “The mainstream media are giving the Democrats a free pass for their attempts to completely uproot the system and throw our election into chaos.” Trump is fighting for a trustworthy election, she wrote, “and any argument otherwise is a conspiracy theory intended to muddy the waters.”

And

Quote:
Republicans control both legislative chambers in the six most closely contested battleground states. Of those, Arizona and Florida have Republican governors, too. In Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, the governors are Democrats.

What If Trump Refuses to Concede? - The Atlantic

Our country is fucked. It's like watching the fall of democracy and sanity die in slow motion.

Last edited by BillyMadison : 09-23-2020 at 04:02 PM.
BillyMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #28457
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That is scary, but stuff like this story can also be counter-productive. You keep telling people their vote won't matter before an election, they won't vote.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #28458
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Ideally, you want people to know their vote will count, but not overconfident that their candidate will win.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #28459
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

Quote:
That is scary, but stuff like this story can also be counter-productive. You keep telling people their vote won't matter before an election, they won't vote.

Counterproductive to report on a subversive plan by the President and his office to undermine election results and stage a coup? Yea, let's just bury our head in the sand, plug our ears and say "la la la" knowing that norms will be upheld and our votes will be counted fairly. Trusting the Republicans to do the right thing and respect the system has worked SO well the last 4 years...

Last edited by BillyMadison : 09-23-2020 at 05:11 PM.
BillyMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #28460
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The republican house in Pennsylvania is flat out insane. There are a shit ton of members so all these little outposts get representation. Guys were in session all throughout the early part of the Covid restrictions attempting to ratfuck the process. I don't doubt that some shithead like Russ Diamond won't become a hero when he flat out attempts to ignore the election results.

Also, how does one deal when his cousin attempts to impeach the governor of your state? I'm still kind of pissed off about it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #28461
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

I get that with rumors and speculation, but when high level GOP folks are willing to go on the record it has to be reported.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #28462
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
I always get flack for this, but a lot of Republicans really do think, I've got mine, fuck you.

There's a lot of truth in this. The missing part is that a lot of those who believe that health care is only for those who can afford it (and other similar mindsets) isn't just about **** those who can't afford it. There's also the belief that such an approach is better for everyone by not encouraging dependency on the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMadison
Counterproductive to report on a subversive plan by the President and his office to undermine election results and stage a coup? Yea, let's just bury our head in the sand, plug our ears and say "la la la" knowing that norms will be upheld and our votes will be counted fairly.

Agree with this completely. It's important that people know we have a President who is considering doing such things, instead of letting the system sort through any potential fraud issues and return an accurate and correct result on the election. It's always better to get information like this out there, even if it results in people reacting in bad ways.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-23-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #28463
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
freedom is good, the government having more control of health care is bad, health care can't be a human right because goods and services aren't a human right, etc. Some of it is the impact it's had on small business, personal choice of health plans, etc. I think there's a lot of factors there.

lol the people who love freedom so much just had their President say he wouldn't commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses. Trump has expanded government health coverage by heavily regulating what they are forced to cover during the pandemic. Signed a bill that would provide billions in government health services to Americans.

Absolutely none of the shit you mentioned matter to his voters. Stop the dumb charade.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #28464
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
There's a lot of truth in this. The missing part is that a lot of those who believe that health care is only for those who can afford it (and other similar mindsets) isn't just about **** those who can't afford it. There's also the belief that such an approach is better for everyone by not encouraging dependency on the government.

All those people shut the fuck up real quick when he signed the CARES Act and pushed a bunch of executive orders to provide government health care to people. Almost like this is a completely bullshit reason they voted for him.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #28465
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
lol the people who love freedom so much just had their President say he wouldn't commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses. Trump has expanded government health coverage by heavily regulating what they are forced to cover during the pandemic. Signed a bill that would provide billions in government health services to Americans.

Absolutely none of the shit you mentioned matter to his voters. Stop the dumb charade.

It's not a charade. Stop assuming motivations and thoughts of other people whose minds you can't read.

Oh, and btw the original question here was about why people want to get rid of ACA, not about why people support Trump. Nowhere did I say ACA is a major reason why people voted for him. Go back to what I said about that not being policy-based and more about the opposition than what they are actually for. This is a totally different question. Not to mention that most of the country agrees that what you do during a pandemic is not the same as what you do during normal times, etc.

I get that it's a lot more comfortable to think of the opposition as a cross being Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot etc, pure evil incarnate. Reality is always more complex than that.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-23-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #28466
RainMaker
General Manager

It is a charade. I'm showing you all these things you claim these people are for is bullshit. They don't really care about any of it.

There was no backlash from Republicans on what Trump just did with health care. Why is this if they truly don't want the government involved in helping uninsured people? Where are these brave patriots you speak of?
Old 09-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #28467
JPhillips
General Manager

The rest of the answer is even worse.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #28468
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's also worth pointing out again that this isn't a game of absolutes. Given the dominant binary lesser-of-two-evils mindset, which I remind everyone is endorsed by most posters on this forum, it's not as if there was/is choice for small-government types between Trump and and an arch-conservative. Conservatism wasn't on the ballot in 2016 and isn't there in 2020. So if you're somebody who thinks that way, your choice is between bad and worse on those issues. You're picking Trump over Clinton or Biden doesn't mean you like what Trump says on health care or whatever. It means only that you think you're going to get a less-bad result from him.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-23-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #28469
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm showing you all these things you claim these people are for is bullshit. They don't really care about any of it.

No you're not. You're setting up an absolutist standard which is not the way things work in modern politics for better or worse. I never said anything about 'brave patriots'. If you want to address yourself to what I've actually said instead of mashing things together from different parts of the discussion in a distortionist fashion and now moving into flat-out making things up, I'm all for that.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #28470
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Good God, Trump is asked what he wants to say to the country about the Breonna Taylor decision and he says I have to take an emergency phone call and walks out. He's not even pretending anymore. This, after refusing to commit to a peaceful transition if he loses.

Everything is totally normal!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #28471
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
No you're not. You're setting up an absolutist standard which is not the way things work in modern politics for better or worse. I never said anything about 'brave patriots'. If you want to address yourself to what I've actually said instead of mashing things together from different parts of the discussion in a distortionist fashion and now moving into flat-out making things up, I'm all for that.

You literally gave an explanation for why people would vote for him because of a stance on health care that he contradicted just a few months back.

If you truly believe that people voted for him because he would keep government out of health care, where are these people who should be irate now?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #28472
Ksyrup

Trump and the GOP ran on the "get rid of Obamacare" plank and then won the presidency and both houses of Congress and did nothing in 2017-18, unless you count Trump's "We're going to have a beautiful healthcare plan with coverage for pre-existing conditions at no cost to anyone, plus I may throw in gold-plated toilet seats for everyone with the money leftover that we save after dismantling Obamacare" BS.

The GOP's entire "plan" was not a healthcare plan but an election plan - Repeal with absolutely nothing to replace it with, so they couldn't repeal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-23-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #28473
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You literally gave an explanation for why people would vote for him because of a stance on health care that he contradicted just a few months back.

No, I did not. Lathum asked why people wanted to remove the ACA. That's the question I answered. I made no statement about how much this factors into Trump's support. On that, I refer you to my more recent post about the comparison between Trump and Biden/Clinton, but more importantly my still-ignored statements on where I think the evidence shows Trump's support primarily comes from.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-23-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #28474
Ksyrup

I hope to hell tonight's press conference is plastered all over the news. This crap cannot stand. But damn if this ain't the truth...

Old 09-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #28475
tarcone
Coordinator

Missouri Governor Parsons and the first lady test positive. Ironic.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #28476
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It amazes me people are so blind they can't see Trumps whole strategy is to try and invalid an election he already knows he is going to lose.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #28477
Jas_lov
College Starter

And the Supreme Court is going to rule 5-4 to stop counting the ballots after he declares victory on election night. Thomas, Alito and the 3 Trump appointees. Robert's can't save us anymore.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #28478
JPhillips
General Manager

I actually think he's not going to get the court to do that. He'll have 3 votes, probably, but I'm not sure about 4 and 5.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #28479
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, he'll have Alito, Thomas, and this 3rd appointee. Maybe Kavanaugh. But I don't see Gorsuch going for that at all.

I'm not denying that's what he's banking on. I just don't think he'll be successful.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-23-2020 at 07:29 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #28480
RainMaker
General Manager

At that point you're not really living in any sort of democracy so who cares?
Old 09-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #28481
JPhillips
General Manager

I think the idea of state legislators appointing electors is a bigger issue. The whole party is a Trump cult and I could easily see a couple of states doing that because of "voter fraud."
Old 09-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #28482
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Maybe the real impressive accomplishment is that we've managed to get by for 200+ years with only two elections where "the guy who got the most electoral votes gets to be President" was an issue--even though we've had all of these anti-democratic mechanisms in place the whole time. (Bush/Gore and Tilden/Hayes).

It won't happen, but it sure would be awesome to have an omnibus amendment that fixed a lot of these issues that Dear Leader is bringing to the surface.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #28483
cuervo72
Head Coach

Nah, who needs regulations?
Old 09-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #28484
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
At that point you're not really living in any sort of democracy so who cares?

Correct, and that's a good thing. We live in a constitutional republic, not a democracy.

In a pure democracy, laws are made directly by the voting majority leaving the rights of the minority largely unprotected. In a republic, laws are made by representatives chosen by the people and must comply with a constitution that specifically protects the rights of the minority from the will of the majority.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #28485
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, we all know this is not a pure democracy, so I don't know if you think that's some stunning insight, but it isn't.

Right now what's happening is the rights of the majority are being infringed by the will of the minority. Is that what the Constitution is supposed to protect?
Old 09-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #28486
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The US is a democracy. It is a representative democracy. No one argued it was a direct democracy, so I'm not sure what the point of your post was, unless you thought you were actually being insightful with your attempt at a 3rd grade civics lesson as taught by Newt Gingrich..

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #28487
JPhillips
General Manager

But if we upgrade to a democracy I'll get another purple card slot.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #28488
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But if we upgrade to a democracy I'll get another purple card slot.

I love this so much. Will you be my internet best friend?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #28489
thesloppy
Pro Starter

WaPo released what I think is a pretty fair breakdown on Trump's race record:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...49c_story.html
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-23-2020 at 09:19 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #28490
BYU 14
Coordinator

This line sums up his true feelings for black Americans perfectly

"Trump regretted reducing prison sentences when it didn’t produce a spike in Black voter support."

It was never about anyone but him which is why the momentum of his justice reform quickly subsided as soon as he realized it would hurt him with his base more than it would help him with a group he truly couldn't give 2 shits about.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #28491
Ksyrup

I hope to hell this cop is ID'd and fired. He's not even riding his bike, he purposely walks it over the dude's head/neck! And appears to push down on the back wheel as it goes over.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-24-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #28492
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This line sums up his true feelings for black Americans perfectly

"Trump regretted reducing prison sentences when it didn’t produce a spike in Black voter support."

It was never about anyone but him which is why the momentum of his justice reform quickly subsided as soon as he realized it would hurt him with his base more than it would help him with a group he truly couldn't give 2 shits about.

That said, it's a really good law. His motivations might have been cynical, but the result has been lots and lots of guys spending a lot less time in prison than they would have otherwise.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #28493
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Yeah, it has been one of the few things he has done right. Of course, there is still more to be done in that area as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #28494
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That said, it's a really good law. His motivations might have been cynical, but the result has been lots and lots of guys spending a lot less time in prison than they would have otherwise.

And I totally agree with that, just a shame his intent was not honorable. Also doesn't seem like it will advance any further than it has.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #28495
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And it'll be interesting to see how $100mil of Bloomberg money changes things in Florida as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/polit...hts/index.html

Here is what a state representative said when the State Legislature passed the bill that required the debts be paid.

Quote:
Republican State Rep. James Grant, who sponsored a House version of the bill, told CNN that comparing the bill to a poll tax was "insanity." He called the bill "expressly consistent" with Amendment 4 and said that he expects DeSantis to sign it.

"I think the governor understands that we should provide as much flexibility and opportunity for people to pay their debt to society, which this bill does," Grant said. "But it's not going to pretend that debt that exists is no longer existing."

The debt will be paid off, Rep. Grant. It will no longer exists. It is almost like the problem was not the financial debt in the first place.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #28496
JPhillips
General Manager

Until they take voting away from people late on their taxes or other fees the objective is crystal clear.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #28497
RainMaker
General Manager

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...245926935.html
Old 09-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #28498
Edward64
Head Coach

Good for you McConnell.

McConnell pushes back on Trump: 'There will be an orderly transition' | TheHill
Quote:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on Thursday that there would be an "orderly" transition of power in 2021, after President Trump refused to commit to a peaceful handoff of power if he loses in November.

"The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated on January 20th. There will be an orderly transition just as there has been every four years since 1792," McConnell said in a tweet.
:
:
The comment from McConnell, while not directly criticizing Trump, is notable because the tight-lipped GOP leader frequently refuses to weigh in on the president's remarks, even when they spark backlash from members of his caucus.

Other GOP senators predicted on Thursday that there would be a peaceful transition of power, though many did not directly criticize Trump for his remarks.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #28499
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I don't think Trump has the support in Washington he believes he does. If he loses the election and tries to cause problems he's going to find out really fast most Congressional GOP only supported him as a GOP president.

I've said McConnell would likely give up the Presidency to someone like Biden if it means he keeps Senate control. I think if he gets this justice pushed through he won't even be too concerned about that. Give him his justice and get Trump out of Washington and he probably couldn't be happier.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #28500
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated on January 20th.

This is so much less than what it might appear to be. He's leaving room for a scenario where Trump could be winning on election night and then the counting is stopped by the courts. He certainly isn't saying that all the votes will be counted.