Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #101
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 November 2013

Today's a big day for Strathie, as our club swept the monthly SFPL awards.

The Player of the Month for October was Stevie Murray, on the strength of his three goals in four league contests and an average match rating of 8.32. He's netted 7 times in his 12 league appearances, and has also contributed 7 assists.

Center back Willie Campbell was voted Young Player of the Month. Campbell, 21, posted an average rating of 7.92 last month, and scored a goal. His average rating in league play this year is a 7.49. Teammate Tim Francis placed third.

And I was named the Manager of the Month, after we won all four of our league matches by an aggregate score of 12-2.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #102
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

3 November 2013

Strathspey Thistle 5-0 Annan

4-4-2
GK: Robertson
D: Kennedy, Campbell, Francis, Bennett
M: Brady, S. Noble, Brown, McGowan
ST: Murray, Nelson

Goals: Murray (10, 34, 83), Nelson (66, 90)

I would have been very satisfied with a 1-0 result over a side like Annan, so sending them off by a 5-0 score was, honestly, a very pleasant surprise.

As Stevie Murray and Willie Nelson get more accustomed to playing together, their striker partnership has become increasingly lethal. Each man set up a goal for the other, and it's been fun to watch defenders try to figure out which presents the more dangerous challenge and respond accordingly.

The best goal of the day was Murray's third, which was set up by a perfect pass from substitute Mark Black.

Both Murray (9.6) and Nelson (9.1) were almost flawless, and Tim Francis posted an 8.6 rating as he moved to center back from his usual spot on the left. He intercepted 11 balls, and right back Shane Bennett connected on 50 of 51 passes.

The only black mark on today's performance occurred when Willie Campbell was sent off for his second booking. I was trying to get a sub in for him when he drew his second yellow. He'll miss our next match. We managed to score two goals playing with ten men.

Cove Rangers topped Fraserburgh, 1-0, so we remain a point behind them.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-13-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #103
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

6 November 2013

Stranraer 2-7 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
GK: Christie
D: Kennedy, Bell, Francis, Bennett
M: Brady, S. Noble, Mark Black, McGowan

Goals: Black (14), Nelson (21, 33, 65, 84), S. Noble (36), Murray (51)

I'm enjoying this, because it's the kind of run that doesn't come along very often!

Stranraer were relegated from Premier League Two last season, after finishing bottom of the table. They came into this match fourth in the SFPL, so they've been a very solid club at this level. To win by five goals on their ground was therefore quite an accomplishment.

Willie Nelson was lights-out all night long. He's now scored 11 times in 8 league matches, which is the definition of top form for a striker. He won't turn 18 until next August and, while I'd love to see him in a Strathspey Thistle shirt for the next decade, it's hard to imagine he won't be a target for bigger clubs before long.

Mark Black scored his first goal for us, and assisted on two others. Garry McGowan set up Mark's goal, and laid on one of Willie's, too. Captain Steven Noble scored, assisted, and won all eight of his attempted tackles.

We're now top of the league as we await the result of Cove Rangers' match with Berwick in four days; if Berwick win or draw, we'll stay ahead.

I have to say..the view from here is great.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #104
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Enjoy the view, definitely!

I'm on top of my division in my current save, but it's only 1/3 of the way through the season, and I just feel that we're not going to finish there (we were just promoted), so I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #105
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Enjoy the view, definitely!

I'm on top of my division in my current save, but it's only 1/3 of the way through the season, and I just feel that we're not going to finish there (we were just promoted), so I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

Good luck staying top of the table!

It's still early in our season, too, but Strathspey Thistle are playing in the same league for the second year. It's a little easier for me to believe we might remain close to the top of the table all year. The board expects us to qualify for the promotion playoffs, so they believe our current position is reasonable, too.

Thanks for following along and commenting.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #106
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

9 November 2013
Scottish Football League Cup
Third Round

East Stirlingshire 0-2 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Ian Roberts, Campbell, Francis, Bennett
M: Courts, S. Noble, Brown, Calum O'Neill

Goals: Brown (16), Campbell (55)

A comfortable win over a league opponent sends us into the Fourth Round of this tournament, which involves teams from the five divisions of the Scottish Football League. The board expects us to reach the semi-final, so we needed a victory here, and the lads delivered it.

Neither of our red-hot strikers found the goal, but each of them set up a teammate. Murray played a superb ball for Colin Brown to tuck into the right corner for our first score. Campbell headed in Nelson's corner for our second. The goal, combined with a very good day at the office defensively, earned Campbell the nod as Man of the Match (8.4).

Craig Robertson kept another clean sheet; it's now been 387 minutes since he last conceded.

Garry McGowan wasn't with the squad, as he was called up to the Scotland U19 team for matches with Hungary and Austria next week. He'll receive his first cap if he appears in either game.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #107
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

16 November 2013
Scottish Cup
Fourth Round

Pollok 2-2 Strathspey Thistle
Strathspey Thistle win on penalties, 4-3

D: Kennedy, Campbell, Francis, Bennett
M: Greg Kelly, S. Noble, Wright, O'Neill
ST: Murray, Dickson

Goals: Courts (71), Dickson (91)

I tried to rest a few regulars today, because our schedule is about to get congested again. We barely got away with that, requiring penalties to send off a tenacious Pollok side which are second in the First Division, one level below us.

We got a scare when Stevie Murray had to come off with an injury, but our physio said he won't miss any time. Same with Shane Bennett, who picked up a knock early on and played all 120 minutes.

Willie Nelson, who came on for Murray, had a hand in both our goals, and nearly won the game in regulation time with a goal of his own. He set up Scott Courts with an incisive pass, and when Sean Dickson lost his marker, Willie got him the ball inside the six-yard box. Nelson's penalty was turned away by Pollok keeper Craig MacDonald, who hadn't conceded in nearly 300 minutes before Courts beat him.

Tim Francis, still at center back, had a huge game: 33 interceptions, 17/19 on headers, and four key tackles. Adam Wright, a former Pollok star, played with a verve that made it hard to remember he's 47 years old. The veteran completed 112 of 128 passes, establishing his presence in the middle of the pitch.

Robert Stevenson equalized for Pollok on 108', sending the game to penalties. With the shootout tied at 3, our fifth man, Scott Courts, stepped to the spot and fired one past MacDonald to win the match.

We have some tired players after this one, but it was a splendid match, and we're glad to advance to the next round.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #108
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

18 November 2013

Garry McGowan's first experiences as a Scotland youth international were positive. He started both matches, a 2-1 result over Hungary and a 3-0 victory over Austria. Garry set up a goal in the Hungary match.

And there might be some good news about the takeover talks, too. Aspirant Marc Love and current chairman Don Williamson are apparently only days away from a deal, according to sportinglife.com.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-13-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #109
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

20 November 2013

Strathspey Thistle 1-1 Buckie Thistle

4-4-2
D: Roberts, Campbell, Francis, Chisholm
M: Courts, S. Noble, Brown, McGowan

Goal: Noble (54)

Craig Robertson ran his streak to almost 400 minutes before he finally conceded a goal, but an opponent still hasn't beaten him in the equivalent of almost five full matches. Buckie's goal came on a corner that pinballed around in the six-yard box before it caromed into the goal off Robertson's shoulder.

Captain Steven Noble leveled early in the second half. He was named Man of the Match on the strength of his all-round excellence; he completed 61 of his 64 passes and led the team with 6 successful tackles.

Another yellow card for Willie Campbell will keep him out of our next fixture. Fortunately one of our defenders, Andy Chisholm, is back on the pitch, and another, Charlie Laird, might be ready to play an hour or so against Stirling Albion in three days.

Our streak of ten consecutive victories has now been snapped, but the point we earned with tonight's result keeps us five clear of third place and three short of Cove Rangers, who sent off Brechin 2-0 this week.

We've drawn First Division side Spartans in the Fifth Round of the SFL Cup. They're a mid-table side who should put up a decent fight on their grounds. There are an additional £7,610 in our coffers for winning our last cup match.

Pleased with both his performance on the pitch and the quality of his training, we offered young right back Shane Bennett a new contract this week. Shane, a Grantown-on-Spey lad, accepted it, glad to stay with a club so close to his heart. He's under contract through June 2015 now, on £150/month with various raises built in for promotion, etc. He might well turn out to be a huge, huge bargain.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-13-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #110
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

23 November 2013

Stirling Albion 2-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Campbell, Laird, Bennett
M: Courts, S. Noble, Ross, O'Neill

Goal: Nelson (71)

We got a taste of our own medicine tonight, as Stirling captured three points with a late goal after Willie Nelson had struck an equalizer for us. Stirling have had our number; in three matches with them since I joined Strathie, we've won one point.

After the match, my journalist mate Sean Nicol took me to task a little bit for resting so many first team players. There wasn't much else I could do, since we were playing our third match in a week's time.

Youngster Duncan Ross, whose form for the reserves earned him a start, played well until he twisted his knee and had to come out. His replacement, Colin Brown, made the mistake that led to the winning goal...although after looking at the replay, it looked to me like Chris Christie still should have been able to save it.

Now we have a week to rest before leaders Cove Rangers come to Seafield Park for the most eagerly anticipated league match thus far this season.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #111
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

30 November 2013

Strathspey Thistle 2-2 Cove Rangers

4-4-2
D: Francis, Campbell, Chisholm, Bennett
M: Courts, S. Noble, Brown, McGowan

Goals: Nelson (48, 84)

Cove Rangers were champions of the SFL First Division last year, and they haven't missed a beat as they've moved up to the Premier Division. In front of a good crowd (526) on a chilly, rainy night, we erased a two-goal deficit and fought the league leaders to a draw.

Rangers have two excellent strikers, just like we do. The league's top scorer, David Ramsay, produced two goals in the first half, and our Willie Nelson replied with a brace of his own in the second stanza. Ramsay, who has netted 21 times in 17 league matches, was Man of the Match, with Nelson, who has 14 goals in 11 contests, right behind.

I'll take Willie over David because, at 33, the Cove Rangers man is almost twice as old as our 17-year-old star.

I would have loved to see us get the result, but I'm encouraged by the fact that we were clearly the better team tonight. We had possession 57% of the time, had 15 shots to their 10, and took nine corners to their one. Twice their keeper, David Kelly, made highlight-quality saves; his denial of Scott Courts' low drive, which he turned away with a sprawling dive, was the best save I've seen all year.

The worst news of the night was the physio's report. Colin Brown will be out for about two months with a knee injury. Mark Black and Adam Wright will probably cover for him in the central midfield while he mends.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #112
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

14 December 2013

We went two weeks without a match in early December, but that doesn't mean life around Strathie was uneventful.

First, we learned that the SFL Premier League Player of the Month was in our club for the second straight month. November's selection was Willie Nelson, who fired in nine goals in five contests and posted an 8.50 rating.

Strathspey Thistle 3-1 Fraserburgh

M: Courts, S. Noble, Black, McGowan

Goals: Murray (22, 47), Black (45+1)

Grantown-on-Spey is a festive place during the holidays, with all the trappings of the Christmas season--sparkling lights, bustling shoppers, the sounds of carols. On a crisp, clear night, perfect for December football, almost 1000 fans turned out at Seafield Park to watch the action.

Fraserburgh is in the drop zone, but they always play us tough. They handed us a 2-1 defeat in the season's first match. This one looked at first like it might be equally tough, as Willie Campbell leaped to head away a cross and bang it backwards past Craig Robertson instead...our second own goal in a month.

Fortunately, we righted the ship quickly, with Stevie Murray getting a quick equalizer, and Mark Black putting us ahead in the final seconds of the first half. Murray added another right after the break and we cruised home, sending the big, noisy crowd home happy.

The supporters were thrilled with the way we played, outshooting the visitors 16-2, maintaining possession 58% of the time, and passing accurately.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #113
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

18 December 2013
Scottish Football League Cup, Fourth Round

Strathspey Thistle 4-1 Kelty Hearts

4-4-2
M: Courts, S. Noble, Black, McCluskey

Goals: Dickson (pen 29), Murray (37), McCluskey (68), Courts (80)

We are expected to make a deep run in this tournament, so for that reason, I fielded a stronger-than-usual squad for a cup tie in the middle of a crowded sequence of fixtures. The supporters don't like seeing a lot of reserves turn out for a home match.

This week, Stevie McCluskey came to me, asking for a chance at some first team football. He was forthright but not obnoxious, coming to me before he complained to the media. He's primarily a right midfielder, and we've got two younger men at that position--Garry McGowan and Calum O'Neill--who are both good. Mac, in particular, is a star in the making. I promised Stevie I'd let him out on loan to get him some experience, and he took that very well. I decided to reward him for his professionalism with a start in this match, and he rewarded the club in return, with a thumping goal off a beautiful pass from Mark Black.

Black pulled the strings from midfield all night long, laying on two goals and making several crucial tackles. He was Man of the Match with a 9.0 rating.

On the other hand, Hearts midfielder Dean Tiffoney, a very good player for League Three, had a forgettable match. His foul led to the penalty Sean Dickson scored, and his error led to Murray's goal. Our scouts are still taking a look at him, however...although, until our seemingly endless board takeover is resolved, scouting a possible signing is merely an exercise in player evaluation.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #114
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

21 December 2013
Scottish Cup, Fifth Round

Spartans 1-4 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Chisholm, Laird, Bennett

Goals: Nelson (58), Kennedy (77, 81), Courts (78)

We traveled to Edinburgh for a cup tie, our last match of 2013. Taking the pitch before a crowd of fewer than 100 was unusual, since our supporters have come out in such force lately. Perhaps the weather--sleet, wind, and a temperature just above freezing--kept the crowd down.

Spartans took the lead on an unusual goal. They hammered a free kick off the crossbar, and it ricocheted past Andy Chisholm onto the foot of a surprised Alan Preston. Craig Robertson had no time to react before Preston redirected it into the net.

Until the hour mark, it looked like the First Division side from Edinburgh might hold on for an upset victory. Then, the Strathie lads recovered their form, as Nelson's equalizer was followed by the first of two goals from defender Matt Kennedy. Courts sandwiched a score, his second in two matches, between Kennedy's.

The Man of the Match was our captain, Steven Noble. If there's a player in our league who can strike a dead ball as well as he can, I haven't seen him. Ask Matt Kennedy how well Steven hits a corner; Matt headed in two perfectly delivered balls off Noble's boot tonight.

I was pleased when Shane Bennett told TEAMtalk.com that my half-time talk "inspired the team to overturn the deficit and emerge victorious at the final whistle."

We'll be able to celebrate Christmas with our families, as we return to the pitch on New Year's Day, away to Berwick.

Merry Christmas from Strathspey Thistle Football Club.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #115
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 January 2014

With the New Year came the end of the drama surrounding the takeover of Strathspey Thistle FC. Today, new chairman Marc Love sent me a message to thank me for the patience I displayed during the three months of negotiations that finally ended with his taking control of the club. Love won't be infusing the club with any cash right now--we don't need it, with almost 900,000 quid in the coffers--but I can now buy and sell players again.

Don Williamson, the former chairman, did a classy thing on his way out. He went to the press and mentioned that it would hurt the club to be kept out of the transfer market while the take-over negotiations went on and on. On Christmas Eve, it appeared the deal had collapsed, but the sides returned to the table after the holiday and worked out a deal.

"Love" is not only our new chairman's surname; it also describes his apparent feelings for the club. I liked Don Williamson, and I hope my working relationship with my new boss is just as productive.

With the "Open for Business" sign back out at Seafield Park, other clubs are already beginning to court our players. Forres Mechanics, a League Two club, wants the versatile Calum Noble on a free...it ain't happening. Forres, and three other clubs, want George Mackintosh, a young defender on loan, and that's more likely to happen.

Premier League clubs are sniffing around Tim Francis, but they'd have to make me an offer I can't refuse in order to get me to sell a lad with Tim's talent who happens to also bleed Strathie blue.

The board remains pleased with my performance; my job status is "Very Secure," and I'm just as happy to be here as they are to have me.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-14-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #116
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 January 2014

Berwick 1-3 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
M: Courts, S. Noble, Black, McCluskey

Goals: Murray (31), Courts (44), Nelson (83)

We took exactly three shots tonight, and all of them found their way to the back of the net. That's the definition of "clinical finishing," and I've never seen anything like it.

Stevie Murray scored the first one off a perfect pass from Willie Nelson, and then Stevie laid on goals for Scott Courts and Nelson later in the contest. We conceded a late goal, but by then we had matters well in hand.

Courts' marker gave him goals in his last three games, and seven overall. That puts him third in the club, behind Murray (21) and Nelson (16). Stevie has added 16 assists, 13 in league play, which leads the SFL Premier by four.

We had some bad news, too. Courts was booked, and he'll be suspended for the next game. Calum Noble, who came on as a substitute, injured his knee and will be out of action for about a month.

Cove Rangers lost away to Clachnacuddin, so we've cut their lead to three points, 42-39, after 19 matches.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #117
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

4 January 2014

Strathspey Thistle 3-0 Brechin City

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Chisholm, Francis, Bennett
M: Brady, S. Noble, Black, McGowan

Goals: Nelson (10, 61), Black (59)

Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
But the goals are so delightful.
And since we're keeping a clean sheet,
Let it sleet! Let it sleet! Let it sleet!

It was a single degree above zero (C°), but 1,238 hardy, football-loving souls braved the gusty winds and sleeting skies to watch us avenge an earlier-season loss by sending off Brechin.

The supporters delighted in a viciously-struck goal from Mark Black, who has filled in admirably for the injured Colin Brown in the center of the park.

They thrilled to the slick passing of Stevie Murray, who laid on two goals.

They admired the deadly finishing of Willie Nelson, who scored another brace, his second only two minutes after Black's score.

They cheered a fine performance between the posts by Chris Christie, who remains a strong, positive influence in the changing room despite losing playing time to wonderkid Craig Robertson.

And they even found time and energy to compose a weather-inspired song, which they belted forth after Strathie went up 3-0 and appeared on our way to another victory.

We'll all be watching for news from East Stirlingshire, where if bottom-of-the-table Shire can somehow find a way to see off Cove Rangers, we'll move top of the table--tied with Rangers on points, but ahead on goal differential.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #118
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

7 January 2014

Two pieces of good news this week!

On Sunday (the 5th), East Stirlingshire pulled off a 1-0 upset of Cove Rangers, with the Shire's goal coming on a penalty. That result put us top of the table, with an eight-goal advantage over Rangers.

Today we completed a deal that will bring central midfielder Hugh Strachan on loan from Premier League club Partick Thistle. The Jags will pay Strachan's wages, so it won't cost us a thing.

We don't really need a central midfielder, but a player of Strachan's quality is always welcome. He is a creative offensive player, a very good passer who will fit in well with the possession-oriented style I want us to play. He's young--only 20--and if he's a good fit for our side, I'm planning on making him a permanent offer this summer.

He'll be available for our match away to Montrose on Saturday (11 January).
Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #119
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

10 January 2014

We're excited to announce the signing of 22-year-old centre back John Cameron from Livingston. Cameron didn't figure in their plans, but his all-around ability caught the eye of our scouting staff, and we happily paid £8,000 for him. Other clubs are expressing interest in defenders Matt Kennedy, Stevie Bell, and Willie Campbell, so the signing of Cameron gives us some additional security along our back line.

Defensively, Cameron is similar to Campbell, perhaps a little better in the tackle but with slightly less positional awareness. Where Cameron sets himself apart from our other backs is his technical skill. When he takes possession, he finds open teammates and gets them the ball, and he's also able to move it out of the back third himself. He'll also be a threat on set pieces.

Cameron will be paid £1,000/month through June 2015. He's currently recovering from a hamstring pull, so his Strathie debut will probably occur in two or three weeks.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #120
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

11 January 2013

Montrose 0-2 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2

Goals: Francis (61), Murray (65)

Montrose are a playoff-calibre side, with an especially stingy defense. It took us a while to get going, to figure out a way to get past them, but Tim Francis headed home a Steven Noble corner and Stevie Murray slotted home a Scott Courts pass, and we held on for a 2-0 result.

Craig Robertson only had one challenging save to make, and he rose to the occasion to post his seventh clean sheet in 13 league matches.

Francis, who also had a very solid game defensively, was Man of the Match with an 8.2 rating. No wonder Falkirk and Partick Thistle are rumored to be close to offering to buy him from us.

Cove Rangers drew with Queen's Park, so we are now two points clear at the top of the table.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #121
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

15 January 2014

The other day, we learned that defender Matt Kennedy will be moving to Cove Rangers when his contract expires on 1 July. Matt has been on the fringes of the first team since the emergence of Shane Bennett, who is now featuring regularly at age 16.

We wish Matt well, even though if the season ended today, we'd be playing against him in Premier League Two next year. The signing of John Cameron is now looking like an even better move.

Robert Muirhead, a promising 17-year-old center back, has returned from a loan spell at Huntly, and he might also figure into the back line mix this spring.

We'll be loaning another young defender with promise, Dave Reynolds, to Newmachar United of Scotia League Two (the lowest level of the pyramid in this save). There, he'll join another Strathie trainee, Ross Mackay-Steven.

The most exciting news of the week has been the signing of striker Mark Love, 17, from Rossvale of the Scotia Championship league. We paid £5,000 for him, and if he turns out to be as good as our scouts think he will be, it will be a bargain.

Love has scored five goals in 17 matches for Rossvale, the Championship leaders. He's tall and strong for a teenager, with above-average pace, and he's very good on the ball. He's also as determined to make good as any player I've ever seen. Mark will join us on 1 July. We don't need him to step in right away, since both Stevie Murray and Willie Nelson are signed through the 2014-2015 season.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #122
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

22 January 2014

Stirling University FC 0-2 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Campbell, Chisholm, Bennett

Goals: Murray (14), Courts (30)

With Tim Francis and Willie Nelson both suspended for drawing (excessive) yellow cards, Matt Kennedy and Sean Dickson got first team chances today at Stirling Uni. I also experimented with using Scott Courts and Garry McGowan as advanced midfielders, and the shift worked well. Courts scored one goal and assisted on the other, and was Man of the Match (8.2). I'll use that formation again, against another opponent who is vulnerable defensively.

The pundits said we should have beaten Stirling Uni by more than two goals, but I'm perfectly satisfied with this outcome. We had the ball 62% of the time and kept another clean sheet. If they don't score, we can't lose.

John Cameron made his debut today, coming on as a substitute when Dickson got a knock and I changed to a more defensive approach. Cameron's hamstring is healthy, but he wasn't quite fit enough to start. He'll feature in the first team on a regular basis when he's up to speed.

Greg Kelly, who wasn't content to cover for Courts while he developed his game, complained enough that I released him on a free. Edinburgh United signed him, so he'll be plying his trade seven levels farther down the pyramid.

I tried to honor my promise to Stevie McCluskey and send him out on loan, but when I offered him out, no team was willing to take him. I'm going to transfer list him and see if someone will give me £500 for him.

Our victory gives us seven straight wins, so we appear to be back on track after faltering a little bit in December.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-17-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #123
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

25 January 2014

I'm satisfied enough with our club that I'm not looking to do more than fine-tune the squad during the January transfer window. Today, we announced the signing of three youngsters, all aged 18, whom we hope will develop into future stars.

Peter Weir, an AMC/MC, currently plays for Carnoustie (Third Division), where he has made 18 appearances, mostly as a substitute. He has scored one goal and posted a 6.54 average rating. He's not nearly ready to play regularly at our level, but our scouts believe he has the potential to play effectively at Premier League Two. Weir is fast and flashy. His first touch is sure, and his other technical skills are very good for his age. I can envision him pairing effectively with Duncan Ross in the center of the park in two or three years. Peter will join us on 1 July.

Stuart Greenhalgh has already arrived at Seafield Park. This English center back was without a club, and is glad to be back on the pitch. The first thing you notice about Greenhalgh is his size--6'4", 207 pounds--but there's more to him than his physical presence. His mental attributes--positioning, teamwork, determination, work rate--are all solid. He's on a contract that will pay him £375/month for the rest of the season, and I anticipate us signing him on for longer than that. Stuart projects to be a valuable member of the back line rotation as he matures; that's a necessity, considering there always seems to be a defender banged up or suspended for drawing yellow cards.

Willie Sinclair, who is best as a deep-lying playmaker in the central midfield, is also already with the club, on a £20/month youth contract. He is a more polished player than Weir is right now, especially defensively. Sinclair isn't fast, but he is very sure in the tackle and demonstrates the ability to make all kinds of passes. He'll turn out for our reserves and U19 squads now, and might get some first team action later in the season.

It's looking more and more likely that Stevie McCluskey will be leaving the team before the transfer window closes next week. Several clubs are showing interest in taking him on a free transfer, and I'm inclined to let him go so he can play some first team football.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-17-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #124
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

25 January 2014
Scottish Cup, Sixth Round

Hamilton Academical 0-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Francis, Chisholm, John Cameron, Bennett

Goal: Murray (64)

For the second straight year, we defeated a Premier League side in a cup competition, and this time, it earns us a place in the Quarter Finals of the nation's most prestigious tournament.

John Cameron was handed his debut today, and from the looks of things today, he might be the final piece of a defense that could carry Strathie to the higher levels of Scottish football. No offense intended to Willie Campbell or Stevie Bell, the center backs who began the season in the first team, but Cameron provides the all-round skill set that sets the best backliners apart.

The emergence of Shane Bennett at right back has allowed me to shift Andy Chisholm to the center, where he is even more effective. Chisholm was Man of the Match today (8.0) for his efforts to keep Hamilton off the scoreboard.

Cameron is the oldest of the four backs, at age 22, and goalkeeper Craig Robertson--the final line of a tough defense--is only 18. I hope we can keep these guys together for a long time.

Steven Noble drew a yellow card and was starting to tire late in the first half, so I replaced him with Duncan Ross at halftime. Ross, who is a very good passer, laid on Murray for the deciding goal and generally looked like a player who is increasingly ready for first team duty. Ross's attributes are up across the board, as he begins to fulfill his considerable potential.

Not surprisingly, my strategy for the game was as defensive as I'll let it be. On 70 minutes or so, I pulled a tiring Murray from the match in favor of Campbell, a fifth back, and set our mentality to Contain. Hamilton had the ball most of the time, and outshot us 17-9, but we denied them even a single scoring chance.

I'm surprised the supporters weren't more than "satisfied" with this result. I think it's one of the bigger victories we've had in my tenure at Strathspey Thistle.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #125
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

31 January 2014

The transfer window closes today, and over the past few days we've been doing a bit of business, both as buyers and as sellers.

Our scouts discovered a 17-year-old left winger called Johnny Neill. He was looking for a new club, having been let go by Falkirk back in June. Right now he is as green as grass, but everyone in the back room thinks he's going to be good. Johnny's already got considerable ability to handle a football (high Technique), but he's apt to do just about anything with it, for good or ill (low Decisions). He's got good pace and, perhaps most intriguingly of all, his preferred foot is "Either." Neill is a long way from unseating Scott Courts at M(L), but for a 20-quid youth deal, I'll take a chance on him.

Today we found a buyer for Stevie McCluskey. Clachnacuddin offered us £500 for him, so we accepted the deal and sent Stevie away with a handshake and best wishes. He'll be with us through the end of the season, but I doubt I'll use him; I'd rather give the playing time to the lads who will be part of the future plan around here.

At age 19, Christian Bowles was a regular for us in the center of the pitch last season, making 34 appearances and scoring 6 goals. Strangely, though, even with the playing time he received, Bowles didn't progress at all as a footballer.

This year, with the arrival of players like Steven Noble, Colin Brown, and Mark Black, he's found it tough to get first team action. The development of Duncan Ross, who is a year younger and is now a considerably better player, made Bowles expendable. Clachnacuddin might have two former Strathies in their first team next year, as Bowles will join McCluskey there in July.

I figured those transactions would be it for us this winter...until scout Bryan Little directed my attention to a Polish striker called Andrzej Gajda who's been plying his trade at Huntly in the Second Division for the past two years.

First of all, Andrzej is one big dude. He's 6'6" and weighs 207 pounds, and he's as strong as they come. He's also a very good player, a target man who lays off the ball to his teammates well enough to lead his league in assists and who finishes well enough to net 10 goals in 22 appearances. Andrzej speaks and understands English well. And, he's a leader; he's been Huntly's captain since he arrived last year.

We have a good relationship with Huntly; we sent them Robert Muirhead and goalkeeper Ian MacDonald on loan this year. I offered them £12,000 for Gajda, and they countered by asking for £16,000. We have lots of money left in our transfer budget, so I met their price.

I wasn't in desperate need of a striker, not with Stevie Murray and Willie Nelson in the team. And Gajda is 27; he's hardly a geezer, but acquiring him he doesn't fit with my recent efforts to bring in younger talent. Still, he'd easily be the third best striker on the squad, and his physical presence would make him a perfect partner for either Murray or Nelson.

I offered Andrzej a two-year deal at £750/month, with a good promotion bonus and a healthy raise for next year. With about six hours remaining before the window closed, he accepted the contract, and he'll be joining us time to suit up for tomorrow's match--with none other than Clachnacuddin-- at Seafield Park.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-17-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #126
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 February 2014

Strathspey Thistle 6-0 Clachnacuddin

4-4-2
D: Francis, Chisholm, Cameron, Bennett
M: Murray, McGowan, Hugh Strachan, Courts
ST: Andrzej Gajda, Nelson

Goals: Gajda (17, 22, 27, 56), Murray (21), Nelson (49)

Welcome to Strathspey Thistle FC, Mr. Gajda.

In a performance that will undoubtedly be long remembered, debutant Andrzej Gajda scored four goals and led Strathie to a 6-0 triumph before over 1,200 wildly cheering supporters. His dominance in front of the goal--he won all six of the headers he contested--gave us a dimension we've lacked in the past.

I used the 4-4-2 with attacking midfielders on each wing, playing Stevie Murray on the left side. He scored a goal and set up another, while fellow striker Willie Nelson scored and added two assists. Steven Noble was suspended for accumulating another yellow card, so Scott Courts moved from the left wing to the center, pairing with loanee Hugh Strachan, who also made his Strathie debut. This set-up worked so well that I might consider using it even when we have our full complement of midfielders.

The defense played another outstanding game, helping Craig Robertson keep a clean sheet, but it was Gajda's barrage of goals that earned this match a place in Strathspey Thistle lore.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #127
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

4 February 2014

First, the bad news: Defender Andy Chisholm and midfielder Duncan Ross will both be out of action for a while. Chisholm suffered a thigh strain in the Clachnacuddin match and he will miss four weeks. Ross's problem is more serious. He will be unable to play or train for as long as two months, after he was diagnosed with a sports hernia.

Some good news: Eight of our players featured in the SFL Premier Team of the Week following our defeat of Clachnacuddin: Craig Robertson, Shane Bennett, John Cameron, Garry McGowan, Scott Courts, Hugh Strachan, Stevie Murray, and Andrezj Gajda. It was the first TotW nomination for Cameron, Strachan, and Gajda; the second for Robertson and McGowan; the third for Bennett; the fourth for Courts; and the fifth for Murray, after featuring six times in 2012-13.

Murray was also chosen as the Player of the Month for the second time this season, with Willie Nelson finishing third. Stevie Wonder scored three goals in four appearances. Nelson was also runner up for the Young Player of the Month prize

I was voted Manager of the Month after our 4-0 record in January, scoring 10 goals and conceding one in league play.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #128
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

8 February 2014
Scottish Football League Quarter Final

Buckie Thistle 0-3 Strathspey Thistle

D: Francis, Cameron, Campbell, Bennett
M: Courts, S. Noble, Strachan, McGowan
ST: Murray, Gajda

Goals: Murray (23, 34, 45+2)

This time, it was Stevie Murray's turn to torment an opposing defense. He scored once off a perfect pass from Andrzej Gajda, and twice off equally well-placed balls from Garry McGowan, who ran wild on the right wing today.

Craig Robertson has now gone 457 minutes without conceding. He would be the first to say that the back line--indeed, the entire team--deserves some credit for that record, but Craig has been making a tough save or two every game, the kind most keepers in our league wouldn't stop.

Now it's on to the Semi Final of the SFL Cup, and I'm going to make winning the trophy a top priority. We're this close; let's finish the job.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #129
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

15 February 2014

Wick Academy 1-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Francis, Laird, Cameron, Bennett
ST: Gajda, Nelson

Goal: Nelson (80)

Wick Academy, a solid, mid-table side, has certainly had our number this year. They beat us 4-2 at Seafield Park back in September, and today it took a late Willie Nelson score to draw us even. We're lucky to get the draw; in the first half, they hit the post with a shot that had Craig Robertson beat dead to rights.

We were the better side most of the day, outshooting the Scorries 16-6, keeping the ball 56% of the time, and completing over 80% of our passes. Still, their goal was a good one, coming after they had patiently moved the ball around, testing our defense.

Our best player was Tim Francis, who had 11 interceptions and delivered three key headers--one of which cleared the ball of the line and possibly saved a goal. Unfortunately, Tim also drew a yellow card, which will put him out of our next match. Hopefully Andy Chisholm will be fit enough to play by then.

The Scorries snapped our ten-game winning streak, but we still have our 12-match run without losing, which dates back to late November.

Cove Rangers' form has slipped slightly in recent weeks, enabling us to gain a little more clearance at the top of the table. Now, Rangers are fighting to keep their automatic promotion spot, with several clubs bearing down on them.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #130
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

22 February 2014

Strathspey Thistle 3-4 East Stirlingshire

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Cameron, Campbell, Bennett
M: S. Noble, Strachan
AM: Murray, McGowan

Goals: Murray (11, 28), S. Noble (84)

The mood around the club is subdued tonight, as we lost not only the match but one of the side's most exciting, effective players. Willie Nelson's season is almost certainly over, after he broke his ankle early in the second half.

I had our wingers play higher up, as attacking midfielders, and I liked the way we performed offensively. Unfortunately, our defense endured a horrible evening. Shane Bennett and Matt Kennedy both played poorly, and Chris Christie conceded a soft goal. I wanted to get Christie some playing time, and right now I'm wondering if that was the right decision.

The loss of Nelson is a serious blow, as Willie has been superb since joining the club in late August. He's been a particularly deadly scorer in league play, netting 19 times in 18 contests. I'm even more glad I signed Andrzej Gajda now.

Hopefully he can cover somewhat for Nelson's absence as we head toward the end of the SFL Premier schedule. Cove Rangers, who got a hat trick from David Ramsay today and beat Annan 3-0, are now back within three points of us.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-21-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #131
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 March 2014
Scottish Cup Quarter Final

Strathspey Thistle 2-2 Falkirk
Strathspey Thistle win on penalties, 5-3

4-4-2
D: Francis, Campbell, Cameron, Bennett
M: Courts, Strachan, S. Noble, McGowan
ST: Gajda, Murray

Goals: Courts (30), Murray (49)
Scored in shoot-out: Cameron, Murray, S. Noble, Gajda, Francis

Strathie's unexpected run in Scotland's most illustrious knockout competition will continue, as a sellout crowd of 1,500 watched their heroes defeat Premier League side Falkirk on penalties tonight.

Falkirk took an early lead through Philip Vincent-Day. Scott Courts pulled us level with an easy tap-in, after Stevie Murray gave him a perfect pass. Murray put Strathie in front with a wonderful goal, weaving through the Falkirk defense for 30 yards before finding enough space to release a laser just inside the left post. Vincent-Day headed in a cross to equalize only a minute or so later.

That's how the score stayed through extra time. After seven straight shooters scored, Strathspey Thistle goalkeeper Craig Robertson turned aside an attempt by Andy Wright. Tim Francis, who played an outstanding game on defense for Strathie, stepped to the spot and calmly knocked his shot into the net to win the match.

The other clubs that earned berths in the Semi Final are powerhouses of Scottish football: Celtic, Rangers, and Kilmarnock. We'll soon see which of them we will face next.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-22-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #132
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

2 March 2014

We have reached the Semi Final of the Scottish Football League Cup and the Scottish Cup, and there will be some additional football at Seafield Park this spring.

Strathie have been drawn as the home club for both matches. On 22 March, we host a tough First Division side, Linlithgow Rose, in the SFL Cup. They have been rolling through the First Division, losing only two of 29 matches; they're just ahead of Pollok, who took us to penalties earlier in the tournament.

On 5 April, Rangers come to town for the Scottish Cup tie. Like Linlithgow Rose, they are top of the table, leading Dunfermline by two points in Premier League Two. They have lifted the Scottish Cup 33 times; only Celtic (35) have won it more times.

It's safe to say that we'll have to play our best football to advance in either competition.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-23-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I lost three days' worth of my game when I had to restart my laptop. This time, the draw for the Scottish Cup came out different.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #133
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

8 March 2014

Formartine United 0-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Francis, Robert Muirhead, Coleman, Chisholm
M: Courts, S. Noble, Strachan, McGowan

Goal: Gajda (53)

After firing in four goals on his debut, Andrzej Gajda hadn't scored in a month. He ended his scoring drought in emphatic fashion, netting the only goal in a gritty defensive contest at North Lodge Park.

Gajda was first to react when Garry McGowan rattled the crossbar with a drive that caromed back into the six-yard box. He caught the ball on the volley and drove it past the sprawling Formartine goalkeeper.

John Cameron, with five headers won and nine interceptions, was Man of the Match for his fine work on our back line.

We weren't favored to win this one, as Formartine lie third in the table, and they're particularly tough to beat on their own grounds.

Stranraer scored a late goal to beat Cove Rangers, so our lead is back to 6 points. That extra cushion might come in handy, as Stevie Murray and McGowan drew yellow cards that will keep them out of next week's match.

I handed Robert Muirhead his debut today, and he played a very good game at centre back. Buckie Thistle are hinting at a transfer offer for Willie Campbell, and if Muirhead can emerge as a less expensive alternative, I might be inclined to accept the offer.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-23-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #134
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

15 March 2014

Strathspey Thistle 5-2 Queen's Park

4-4-2
D: Francis, Cameron, Campbell, Kennedy
M: Courts, S. Noble, Strachan, Black
ST: Gajda, Dickson

Goals: Dickson (17, 53, 59), Gajda (45), Courts (49)

I'm not sure if Sean Dickson was imitating Stevie Murray or Willie Nelson today, but either way, his impression couldn't have been much better. Dickson's hat trick was more than enough to see off Queen's Park, who scored two late goals to make the score line a bit more respectable.

I had been wondering if Dickson was a luxury I might not be able to afford. He'll be our fourth striker next year, unless a young gun like Mark Love develops so quickly that he bumps Sean another slot down the depth chart. His performance tonight inspired me to offer him a new contract and, to my surprise, Sean accepted a pay cut! He's signed on for next year at £300/month, £25 less than this season. Dickson has 8 goals in 17 appearances, almost half of those as a substitute, and if he produces at the same level next year, we'll call it a bargain.

Buckie Thistle beat Cove Rangers, and Stranraer saw off Fraserburgh, so Stranraer is now second place. We're seven points clear of them and nine clear of Cove Rangers.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #135
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 March 2014

The arrival of each year's youth candidates is an eagerly awaited harbinger of spring. Last year, we obtained Shane Bennett, who is now my first choice at right back, and a handful of other promising young players. This year's crop contains two youngsters who have our staff almost as excited. Both of them are strikers, and they're both considered five-star prospects.

David Allan, 15, is a player in the mold of Willie Nelson. He's even a bit faster than Willie, but lacks the technical prowess that has made Willie one of the league's deadliest strikers. He has plenty of time to get there, however, and our staff believe he will one day be good enough to lead a Premier League Two side.

Jonathan Gillespie, also 15, is a stylish forward, a trequartista who will one day bring crowds to their feet with his dynamic play. He is very good in the air, and is slightly more skilled right now than Allan is, but with a slightly lower upside. Still, it's easy to envision Gillespie as a future star.

Several other youth, such as midfielder Blair Ross, defender Steven Sharp, and attacking midfielder Hector Calder, look promising, too. None of them stood out in today's friendly match against our U19 team, but our youth manager, Stuart Forbes, offered each of them a youth contract.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #136
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Once in a while I feel like a break from my Strathspey Thistle game, and I'll spend some time enjoying another Football Manager career for a few days. I've been managing an amateur team at the lowest level of the English pyramid, using the "Level 9" edited database that several of you have used in your forum stories.

22 March 2014
Scottish Football League Cup Semi Final

Strathspey Thistle 1-1 Linlithgow Rose
Strathspey Thistle win on penalties, 4-2

4-4-2
D: Francis, Muirhead, Cameron, Chisholm
M: Courts, Strachan, S. Noble, McGowan
ST: Murray, Gajda

Goal: Gajda (30)
Scored in shootout: Murray, Ross, Francis, S. Noble

Once again, Strathie needed penalties to advance in the SFL Cup tourney and honestly, we were fortunate to get that far. Hugh Strachan was sent off for his second yellow card right before the hour mark--as I had a sub ready to come in for him--so we played the rest of the way with ten men.

We lost the lead Andrzej Gajda gave us when Ross Allison equalized on 69'. I had already replaced Gajda with another midfielder, Duncan Ross, and I set our mentality to Contain in order to keep the scoreline where it was.

Goalkeeper Craig Robertson was the hero of the day, punching Sean Scott's penalty away and giving our captain, Steven Noble, a chance to win the game or us. Steven came up big, drilling his penalty past their keeper and putting us through to the Final.

Some pundits wonder if playing for two cups will distract us from the task of winning the league, pointing out that our closest SFL Premier challengers, Stranraer and Cove Rangers, can concentrate on league play. I don't think it will make a difference, and the thought of winning a double has given our players extra incentive to keep working hard. As for winning a triple, getting past Rangers in the Scottish Cup might be a pretty tall order.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #137
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

24 March 2014

We tucked away another £5,730 for our victory in the SFL Cup Semi Final. Our opponent in the Final will be Deveronvale, who are a mid-table side in the First Division. We should be favored, but as our own experiences in the Scottish Cup demonstrate, an underdog can pack a hearty bite.

The Final will be played at Hampden Park in Glasgow on 7 May.

I learned today that Ayr United player/manager Scott Noble was in the stands for our match yesterday. Add Ayr to the list of clubs who would like to take Tim Francis off our hands. I don't feel like selling Francis, and if I did, I'd be more apt to make a deal with a Premier League club like Falkirk than a Premier Two club that we might be playing against next season.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #138
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

29 March 2014

Albion Rovers 3-2 Strathspey Thistle

4-5-1
D: Kennedy, Cameron, Campbell, Bennett
DM: S. Noble
M: Black, Brown
AM: Courts, McGowan
ST: Gajda

Goals: S. Noble (28), Urquhart own goal (60)

This one had "trap game" written all over it.

First of all, we were missing four regulars: the injured Willie Nelson, plus three serving disciplinary suspensions--Stevie Murray, Tim Francis, and Hugh Strachan. The 4-5-1 seemed to be the best choice for the players I had available, and at first, it worked a charm. Steven Noble fired in a free kick and put us ahead, and when Hugh Devlin picked up two yellow cards and was sent off, things looked good for the away team.

Craig Urquhart had other ideas, however. He delivered an equalizer, a "cheeky lob" that came five minutes after Devlin's dismissal. When Jack Smith scored off a horrible misplay by Matt Kennedy, we found ourselves a goal down to a side playing a man short.

The ubiquitous Urquhart scored twice more, once for each side, and that completed the scoring...although we had a goal waved off when the official decided Scott Courts had strayed offside. I voiced my displeasure with the decision to the media and earned another warning from the FA, as well as a word of caution from the board. I don't much care; the call was possibly not as bad as it seemed, but I was fed up with the entire day's proceedings.

And, to make matters worse, Andrzej Gajda will probably miss two matches with a bruised rib.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-30-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #139
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

2 April 2014

It seems we're always having to rotate strikers in and out of the lineup these days. Between injuries (major and minor), suspensions, and fatigue, I've been using four or five different players up top in recent weeks.

Even if that were not the case, I would have noticed Robert Murch, a lad of 15 who's playing for Inverclyde in Scotia League One, which is the second lowest level on the pyramid. In two matches there, he's netted two goals. That information alone didn't seem too impressive until I discovered that Inverclyde are a fully professional club which pays their senior players several times what our fellows make. They have only lost one league match, and they have a +77 goal differential. In other words, they can play, and a player who can crack their first team a month before he turns sixteen is a young boss.

Murch is a typical youth player when it comes to the mental aspect of the game; traits like composure, concentration, and positioning, which a player learns through hours and hours on the pitch, are not Robert's strong points. Put a ball at his feet, however, and Murch becomes a magician.

At 15, he is already a more lethal finisher than any striker in our club, including lads called Murray, Nelson, and Gajda. His technical skills surpass all three of those players, and his quickness, pace, and fitness are all very good. Our scouts believe he will be good enough to star for a Premier League 2 side one day.

Murch was willing to talk about a contract with us, and I signed him to a youth deal that begins at the end of June. I'm more than happy to add him to our front line corps, and if he turns out to be as talented as I think he'll be, he will offer us a younger, better and for now, cheaper alternative to one of our current group of strikers.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #140
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

5 April 2014
Scottish Cup, Semi Final

Strathspey Thistle 1-0 Rangers

4-4-2
D: Francis, Muirhead, Campbell, Bennett
ST: Murray, McGowan

Goal: McGowan (27)

Aye, laddie, I was there the day Strathie saw off Rangers...

Fifty or sixty years from now, children will beg their grandfathers to tell them the story again. Some may remember the day as being bright and sunny, and some may recall a gale whipping around Seafield Park; it was actually a chilly, rainy afternoon, typical for the Highlands in early springtime.

If the old fellows recall Strathie controlling the run of play and coasting to victory, they'll have it wrong. Rangers held the ball well over half the time, and took 16 shots to our seven. Most of those attempts were fairly harmless, though, and Craig Robertson was called upon to make only two difficult saves.

They'll be right if they remember Garry McGowan's goal as a fine one. It began with a corner from Steven Noble that was headed away by Rangers defender Filippos Roubanis. Willie Campbell took the ball on the bounce and shot; Cammy McKimmie parried it away, and Tim Francis pounced on it. Francis found McGowan and pushed the ball to him as McKimmie came out to challenge him. McGowan shot low and hard to McKimmie's left, and put it past him into the net while Strathie's supporters howled their approval.

They'll also be right if they recall McGowan was playing striker, rather than his customary spot on the right wing, and if they remember McGowan was once in Rangers' youth system, they'll be right about that, too. Garry bears no ill will toward his old club, but he surely felt good about scoring the goal that knocked them out of the Scottish Cup.

Old Rangers supporters will swear up and down that Shane Bennett deserved a penalty when he fouled Ryan McGowan, but their Strathie counterparts will simply smile and say "The referee dinna see it that way." And if the Rangers man says "David Allan wasn't in the team that day," his Strathie mate will reply, "Nelson and Gadja were out, too. Two strikers for one o'yours."

And the Strathpey Thistle fans will surely remember the way Tim Francis played that day. They might not remember that he had 16 interceptions and won 9 of his 10 headers, but they'll be able to close their eyes and see him prowling the back line like a cop on the beat. And they'll remember the pass that laid on Garry Mac's match-winning goal. They might even recall the story they read the next day, where I told them I wouldn't sell Tim Francis away, even if bigger clubs came calling after they watched his performance. (Incidentally, Tim doesn't want to leave Seafield Park, anyway.)

The old fellows will remember how they chanted "We're on our way to Hampden Park," as the reality of the fact they'd be playing not one, but two cup Finals at the storied old stadium sank in.

I doubt they'll have a memory of a sweeter, more surprising victory on their own home ground. They might remember celebrating a league title won at Seafield Park, but seeing off one of the Old Firm in a Cup tie will always be something extra special.

The day wee Strathie saw off Rangers, back in '14...
Old 10-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #141
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

19 April 2014

Strathspey Thistle 2-0 Clyde

4-4-2
D: Francis, Cameron, Chisholm, Bennett
M: Black, S. Noble, Strachan, McGowan

Goals: Cameron (pen 6), Black (53)

Two players who don't often get goals put 'em in today, and another great performance from the lads in the back sent off a tough Clyde club by a 2-0 score. I'm very pleased with the fact we got 20 shots off against a side that is usually very tight defensively, and our passing is getting better and better. Hugh Chisholm seemed to have the ball at his feet all day long; he tried 106 passes and completed 102 of them.

Shane Bennett bounced back from a run of lacklustre form with an 8.4 rating and a Man of the Match selection.

The only point of concern was an injury to Garry MacGowan that forced him out of the match on 4 minutes. Duncan Ross came in and did a fine job in reserve, and it turns out that Garry won't miss any time with his injury.

Next up will be Stranraer, another club that is in the playoff places right now. They are third in the table with 56 points, five behind us, with Formartine United between us on 57.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #142
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

20 April 2014

Celtic have clinched the Premiership for the second consecutive season. They are 16 points clear of their nearest competitor, with 61 points from 26 matches. Their victory qualifies them for the European Champions Cup next year.

Speaking of the Champions Cup, that competition has reached the Semi Final, with Manchester City, Chelsea, Olympique de Marseille, and holders Bayern Munich still in the running.

Closer to home, congratulations to coach Chris McLeod, who just received his Contintental B license. He joins assistant manager Michael Dempster and U19 manager Stuart Forbes among members of our backroom staff with those credentials. (I have a Continental Pro license, which I suppose is FM's equivalent of a UEFA Pro license.)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #143
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

26 April 2014

Strathspey Thistle 6-0 Stranraer

4-4-2
M: Ross, S. Noble, Strachan, Courts

Goals: Murray (6, 21, 51, 53), Gajda (34), Francis (45)

Stranraer are a good side, but we have been able to trounce them both times we faced them this season. We beat them 7-2 away back in November. In that match, Willie Nelson struck for four goals, and this time, it was Stevie Murray. Stevie had been on a fairly long goal drought, and he ended it with a flourish (or four).

Our second goal was one of the most satisfying of the year. We passed the ball quickly and carefully, looking for a good scoring chance, eight players touching the ball before Scott Courts laid on Murray with a ball he could tuck past the Stranraer keeper. That sequence was exactly the way I want Strathspey Thistle to play football.

Naturally Stevie was Man of the Match (9.8), but the press had almost as many good things to say about Tim Francis. Tim headed in a Steven Noble cross and assisted on Gajda's goal, and played his usual strong game at left back. The pundits continue to predict that Francis will one day take his game to a bigger club but, for now, he's very happy with us, and we're equally happy to have him in the team.

Besides, if we keep playing like this, the whole club will be moving up to a higher level.

The table is now all scrambled up, with five clubs clustered within two points of each other in second through sixth places. We're still top, on 61 points, four clear of Clyde, who are now second. With three league fixtures left to play, we have clinched a playoff spot, at the very least.

At the other end of the table, Stirling Uni and Fraserburgh are relegated to the First Division.

If we are promoted, we won't be battling Rangers for a league title. They are already assured of promotion to the Premier League, which is where they belong. Kilmarnock are dropped already, and will be a potential Premier League Two opponent for us next season.

First things first, however. We have two Cup finals to play, and a league to win.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #144
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

7 May 2014
Scottish Football League Cup Final
Hampden Park, Glasgow

Strathspey Thistle 1-0 Deveronvale

Goal: S. Noble (10)
Attendance: 4,523

It seemed fitting that our captain, Steven Noble, would score the goal that earned him the right to lift the 2014 Scottish Football League Cup. His rifle shot of a free kick earned Strathspey Thistle their first trophy since the club's founding in 1993.

Deveronvale were a gritty, tenacious side; they lined up in a 4-5-1, trying to strangle the match in the middle of the park. By and large, their strategy worked. We put only two shots on target, although we kept the ball 55% of the time.

At one point, I was sure Deveronvale had equalized, but a spectacular save by Craig Robertson kept our narrow advantage intact.

Noble was Man of the Match (7.9), and our entire back line graded out at 7.1 or better.

I sent out our best possible side, even though we have a league fixture in three days. Winning the Final was worth it, even if we lose at Buckie Thistle on the 10th.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #145
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

10 May 2014

Buckie Thistle 0-1 Strathspey Thistle

D: Muirhead, Francis, Cameron, Bennett
M: Ross, S. Noble, Strachan, Courts

Goal: Murray (45+1)

We went into today's match, away to Buckie, needing three points to clinch the SFL Premier title. That's exactly what we did, as Stevie Murray headed Steven Noble's corner off the crossbar and in to give us a narrow 1-0 victory. We can put the league championship trophy on the shelf beside the SFL Cup.

Buckie played much of the game with ten men, because Jim McShane chopped Shane Bennett down with a vicious foul on 34'. To their credit, Buckie refused to go away, and we had to play good football to take and hold the lead.

Another clean sheet for Craig Robertson, who has now played over 500 minutes of football without conceding.

Now I can safely rest my first team in our next league match, at home with Stirling. That will allow us to field a full-strength, rested side in the Scottish Cup Final on the 21st.

2014 will already be remembered as a golden year for Strathspey Thistle F.C. How much more remarkable will it be, if we somehow manage to defeat Celtic and win the Scottish Cup, too?

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-12-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #146
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 May 2014

Strathspey Thistle 0-2 Stirling Albion

4-4-2
D: Muirhead, Stuart Greenhalgh, Bell, Steven Sharp
M: Zander McLeish, Willie Sinclair, Kieran Graham, Tom Forrest
ST: Jonathan Gillespie, Daniel Allan

With the league championship already in hand, I started an assortment of backups and kids, and they honestly played a little better than the scoreline indicated. Among them are several of our club's brightest prospects. The consensus in our backroom is that Sharp, Sinclair, Gillespie, and Allan are all future Premier League 2 standouts, and all but Sinclair are 15 or 16 years old. Sinclair's a relative geezer at 18.

The supporters were miffed that we fielded a "weakened side," but we're facing Celtic at Hampden Park in three days. There will be over 50,000 people in the stadium, and I'm putting our first team out there for that experience.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #147
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

21 May 2014
Scottish Cup Final
Hampden Park, Glasgow

Strathspey Thistle 0-4 Celtic
Attendance: 52,063

4-4-2
D: Francis, Cameron, Chisholm, Bennett

As lopsided as that scoreline looks, I can take several positives away from the match.

Celtic's manager, Paul McGeehan, took us seriously. He fielded his first team, including nine players who have won full international caps. Celtic are, without doubt, the best side in Scotland, and we got their very best. This wasn't a side full of youth teamers who sent us off.

I'm establishing a very good relationship with McGeehan, which could come in very handy if we ever want to take a Celtic player on loan.

Willie Nelson and Garry McGowan weren't fit enough to start, but both got into the match later on. Nelson came close to a goal, rattling the crossbar with a fearsome drive.

Yes, it would have been great to win, but we took the pitch at our national stadium, before a capacity crowd. It was a moment none of us will ever forget.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #148
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

24 May 2014

Cove Rangers 1-0 Strathspey Thistle

D: Muirhead, Francis, Cameron, Bennett
M: Black, Strachan, Ross, McGowan

Tired, and with not much to play for, we faced a fired-up Cove Rangers side who were in a tight battle for a spot in the playoffs. David Ramsay knocked in his 40th goal of the season to send us off.

Steven Noble, who drew a yellow card in the Cup Final, was unable to play, and we missed his stabilizing presence in our midfield. Hugh Strachan and Duncan Ross both played well, however, especially Strachan. I'm hoping we can interest him in signing a deal that will keep him at Seafield Park on a permanent basis.

Cove Rangers, who finished fourth, will play fifth place Albion Rovers in the Promotion Playoff. The other playoff pairing will match third place Clyde and sixth place Annan Athletic.

Stranraer will be moving back to Premier Two next season, as they finished the year second behind us.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #149
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Thumbs up

27 July 2014

I got so caught up in the excitement of preparing to play at a higher level that I didn't take time to write about the process, so here's a quick review of the past two months at Strathspey Thistle FC.

Here is how the top of the league table looked at season's end:

HTML Code:
Club GP W D L GF GA DIF PTS 1 Strathspey Thistle 34 21 4 9 83 32 +51 67 2 Stranraer 34 19 5 10 64 50 +14 62 3 Clyde 34 17 10 7 62 35 +27 61 4 Cove Rangers 34 18 7 9 74 49 +25 61 5 Albion Rovers 34 17 8 9 58 46 +12 59 6 Annan 34 17 8 9 63 57 +6 59 7 Formartine United 34 17 7 10 58 46 +12 58 8 Montrose 34 14 8 12 54 50 +4 50 9 Brechin 34 13 9 12 66 60 +6 48 10 Buckie Thistle 34 13 8 13 59 46 +13 47

Clyde won the promotion playoff, as I expected they would, so they will join us and Stranraer in Premier League Two next season.

At the other end of the table are Clachnacuddin, Fraserburgh, and Stirling University FC, who will be relegated to the SFL First Division.

Here's our Best Eleven for the 2013-2014 season.

The fans chose Stevie Murray as their Player of the Year, which came as no surprise to anyone.

Murray, Steven Noble, and Tim Francis were all chosen to the Premier Division Team of the Year. Murray was edged out for Player of the Year by David Ramsay of Cove Rangers, who netted 41 goals in league play. Murray had 24.

Several of the players from our Best Eleven will be in someone else's kit this season. The toughest loss will be Willie Campbell, who angrily asked for a transfer when I wouldn't promise to play him in the first team this season. A month later, he's still looking for a club. I saw him at Scotland Trial Day the other afternoon.

Colin Brown and Charlie Laird asked for more money than I was willing to pay for a reserve, so we parted ways. Brown signed for Elgin City, and Laird is still unattached. Sean Dickson, whom the fans really liked, went for a big payday to Inverclyde, where he's on £1,700 a week--twice as much as we are paying anyone in the club.

The board surprised and delighted me by approving a weekly wage budget that is four times bigger than last year's-- £16,150 per week. We also have £503,000 to spend on the transfer market, but I'm finding it difficult to spend. We have the money to pay some top players, but we lack the reputation that will attract them. So I can either grossly overpay average players, like Inverclyde does, or try to fill the club with solid players who fit well with the style of football I want to play. I'm taking the second option.

First, however, I did want to reward Stevie Murray and Tim Francis, both of whom accepted contracts before I realized how much bigger our salary budget would be. I wanted both of them to be paid like the stars they are, with salaries that are among the best in the club. Stevie signed a new deal for £800/week, and Tim for £550.

Then, I worked out a deal with Hugh Strachan, who played so well for us when he was here on loan from Partick Thistle. Hugh is all ours now, for £400/week.

With Campbell and Laird gone, I wanted to bring in a new man for our back line, and I found one I believe will be a star. Alastair Russell was in Hearts' youth system, and played 10 matches for Alloa and Airdrie last season. Imagine a smaller, less physical version of Tim Francis, with Tim's sense of the game...and two years younger, at 19. Like Francis, Russell is a natural left back, but Francis is also accomplished in the center, so I'll slide him there to make room for Russell. Alastair will be paid £230/week.

Aged 29, Sebastian Cabaj is a little older than I'd like, but his versatility--he can play all over the left side of the pitch, and at DMC--and his blazing speed made him stand out from the crowd. We faced him last year, when he was with Montrose, for whom he produced 12 assists. He can cross a ball with the best of them. Sebastian will earn £240/week. He's from Poland, like Andrzej Gajda, and among his preferred moves is Argues With Officials.

We've had our eye on Brent Hunt, a classy little midfielder who was with Queens Park the last two years. We signed him to his first pro contract, which will pay him £230/week. We believe he'll be worth every penny; in fact, some of our backroom staff believe he's our best midfielder. They agree that he has Premier League upside at age 21. Brent was a New Zealand youth international, with three caps to his credit.

Aberdeen decided 19-year-old Joe Linton didn't fit into our plans, but I think he'll be just fine at Seafield Park. A central midfielder, Joe won't dazzle you with his pace, but he is technically sound and works like a terrier. We'll pay him £210/week to cover for us in the midfield...for now; his potential looks considerably more promising.

After losing our first friendly, 2-1 away to Dyce, we've won three straight, including a 4-2 result over Premier League club Dundee. Willie Nelson netted a hat trick in a 4-0 victory over Deveronside, and got a brace to send off Tayport, 3-1. Next up is a match with Manchester United Reserves, which ought to sell out Seafield Park. They'll be delighted to see our newly re-laid pitch, which is in perfect condition.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-13-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #150
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

June and July 2014

The World Cup

I decided the most storied competition in the world of football deserved its own post. Of course, nobody from Strathie saw action in Brazil, but Scotland were there, and the tournament turned out better than most Scots could have dared to dream.

Scotland were assigned to Group B, along with Australia, Algeria, and the favorites, Italy. In their first match, the Tartan Army stunned Italy, beating the Azzurri 1-0 on a goal from striker Steven Sheerin, who plays his club football for Newcastle.

Next, Scotland sent off Algeria, 4-1, with Sheerin scoring a brace, and a hat trick from James Hay (Locomotiv Moscow) was enough to defeat Australia, 4-2. Scotland were on to the second round of the World Cup for the first time in their history!

Cinderella's night at the ball couldn't last, however. Chile eliminated the Tartans, 3-1. However, for a nation that was ranked 51st in the world a year earlier, a victory in the group stage of the World Cup has to be considered a treat. Now, Scotland are ranked #12.

Italy also qualified to continue in the tournament, and ended up in the Semi Final, where they lost 2-1 to Brazil. Holland earned the right to face the home team in the Final by defeating Chile, also by a 2-1 margin.

The Brazilians hoisted the Cup, defeating Holland 1-0 on a goal by midfielder Paco, who turns out for Liverpool during the club season. Italy finished third, defeating Chile, 3-1.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 10-13-2014 at 11:55 AM.