Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #20801
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well at least Joe probably does use Medicare. Magnum probably doesn't even understand what a reverse mortgage is.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:49 PM   #20802
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Well at least Joe probably does use Medicare. Magnum probably doesn't even understand what a reverse mortgage is.

Probably true. However, unlike Joe, Magnum is still doing TV series so money shouldn't be an issue.

Which brings to question, does he really need the additional money doing the ads for reverse mortgages? or is he part owner? It's just sullying his brand IMO.

(Would love it if he had a regular, small time role on the Magnum reboot. That series needs some help)
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:59 PM   #20803
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
In a prior post, I said Thomas Magnum shouldn't be doing reverse mortgage commercials. I'll add also Joe Namath and his Medicare commercial.

At least with Magnum, I feel that I can trust him. With Joe, he's like a used car salesman and truly cringe worthy.

BUT YA GOTTA APPLY FIRST!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #20804
Ksyrup

Or

BUT YA DON'T GET YOUR BENEFITS AUDA-MADA-CLY!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #20805
AlexB
Pro Starter

The smell of cooked faggots* for the rest of the evening might just be one of the most warm and homely experiences there is

*Faggot (food) - Wikipedia

Last edited by AlexB : 01-30-2021 at 05:00 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #20806
tarcone
Coordinator

Fuck the medical community. My endocronologist goes for a money grab and charges $2000 a year for you to be his patient. Long story short, his wife is a money grubbing bitch.

New doctor cant/wont see me until Jun1. All my records have been transferred. Old doctor cancelling my prescriptions. I am a type one diabetic on a pump. NEED my medical supplies. New doctor will not fill supplies. Because she has not seen me. She has my records, its not like its pain pills.

Our health care system is funcked up. I dont care what you say but I will pay 20% of my salary for free heathcare and quit spending so much on national defense. No one else does and that is how we broke the Soviet Union . And this will break our country.

Stupid.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:34 PM   #20807
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Fun fact:We spend more public dollars on health care than most other countries.

We spend far more private dollars on healthcare as well.

Any politician that says we need to spend more money is full of shit.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:51 PM   #20808
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Any politician that says we need to spend more money is full of shit.

This. And it ain't the only area where that's true.

I'll just stop there, 'cause I don't want to derail the typically harmonious nature of this particular thread.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:52 PM   #20809
Ksyrup

There's literally nothing on TV so we're watching Name That Tune. And the crowd is way too over the top for me. The "oohing" BS when the people are betting against each other sounds like they told the crowd - "Act like you're in the audience for a Saved By the Bell episode and Zack gets in a sick burn against Slater!"

I see why I don't watch broadcast TV.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:12 PM   #20810
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm on the road and watching BBC World News and it occurs to me just how much world news we miss in the US. It's really incredible that for a country as big, influential and cosmopolitan we can't seem to stop fighting about what color the lint in our pockets is. When I was a kid the world updates during the evening news were the best/most important parts. Now it's just whatever gets the biggest 'pop'. May not grab more market share or profits, but society would benefit from it.

CNN International is just ok. They have occasional stories, but really aren't on the same level as they still focus too much on the US political scene.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-31-2021 at 07:13 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:18 PM   #20811
cuervo72
Head Coach

Agreed. But I guess viewers would rather watch the weekly "military parent returns unexpectedly and surprises kids" or "elderly person jumps out of airplane for birthday" story than oh, a military coup in Myanmar.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:49 PM   #20812
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Agreed. But I guess viewers would rather watch the weekly "military parent returns unexpectedly and surprises kids" or "elderly person jumps out of airplane for birthday" story than oh, a military coup in Myanmar.

Myanmar? Is that where they make the stuff for shiny balloons?
Old 01-31-2021, 09:01 PM   #20813
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Myanmar? Is that where they make the stuff for shiny balloons?

Ethnic cleansing of the forgotten Rohingya (along with the Uighurs).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:30 PM   #20814
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Ethnic cleansing of the forgotten Rohingya (along with the Uighurs).

You're supposed to say "no, that's Mylar"

Then I say "That big city in the Philippines?"
Old 01-31-2021, 10:05 PM   #20815
cuervo72
Head Coach

No, it's what they make parachutes for old people of.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:51 PM   #20816
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
No, it's what they make parachutes for old people of.

"The internet is enraged by stories that they're making parachutes out of old people! Is there any truth to that? Find out after this commercial break!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-31-2021 at 10:51 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:11 PM   #20817
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
"The internet is enraged by stories that they're making parachutes out of old people! Is there any truth to that? Find out after this commercial break!"

"Plus, a look at your drivetime forecast"
Old 02-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #20818
Ksyrup

Quote:

SI

Skin like visqueen stretched on bamboo.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #20819
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is it just me or does it seem like every commercial on TV these days has some sort of mixed race family?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #20820
miked
College Starter

Why do realtors put their faces on all their yard signs. Like, who really cares what these people look like.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:59 PM   #20821
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like every commercial on TV these days has some sort of mixed race family?

It's heavily escalated. Started with a few advertisers in particular, then (as is often the case) became trendy to do.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #20822
Ksyrup

Putting this here because I don't see a "weird health issues" topic...

So Tuesday night/Wednesday morning I had a really weird episode that's never happened to me before. I woke up about 4:30 in the morning sweating, and when I opened my eyes the ceiling was spinning. Sat up, room was spinning. After about a minute of closing my eyes, sitting up, lying down, doing it all over and the room going haywire, I woke my wife up and told her something was going on. Then I started getting nauseous.

My poor wife is 2 weeks removed from foot surgery, so she's hopping like crazy into the bathroom to get me a garbage can in case I throw up. I gagged/heaved like 5-6 times but never threw up. Eventually, it stopped. I ended up texting my brother, who's a doctor, and he thought it was either straight-up dehydration or food poisoning that caused or enhanced some mild dehydration. I've made it fine through the last 30ish hours, so I assume whatever it was has passed.

Here's the weird part - I was having a very vivid dream, and right before I woke up, I watched a woman fall over in the snow. As in, she toppled over like a tree. And my view of it was from the perspective of a camera falling with her. Then I woke up, and the room was spinning.

Now WTF was that? Did my dream partially cause the spinning sensation, or was my body telling me to wake up because something strange was going on?

Weird shit, man.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #20823
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I need to stop eating at Subway
Their chicken is not chicken

Their tuna is not tuna

Their bread isn't even bread.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #20824
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Stellaris games almost always end up with a call name /nickname.

Hearts of Iron is always HOI (hoy)
Victoria are always Vicky (or Viccy)
Crusader Kings are always CK
Europa Universalis are always EU#

So how come Stellaris hasn't become Stella?
Old 02-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #20825
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

It was pointed out to me that, because if the jobs I’ve held in my lifetime...

Age 15-19: checking the accuracy of questions for a company that produced materials for academic quiz bowl teams
Age 19-37: youth ministry
Age 37-40: software quality assurance
Age 40-???: consulting

...I’ve basically done nothing but tell people what they’re doing wrong.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #20826
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So you're saying that in the next 10 years you'll join us in the Lutheran faith?

SI

Old 02-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #20827
Critch
lolzcat

When did Russell Crowe get so old?

Russell Crowe birthday message 'made my week', says sailor Pip Hare
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #20828
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

Being on South Park really seems to age some people.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #20829
Ksyrup

I know I'm not the first person to say this but... package delivery through USPS sucks!

I am waiting for a package. It got sent from the sender by a third party shipping partner on January 15th and assigned a USPS tracking code. It was received at their facility in Tennessee on the 19th. The last tracking entry is on the 19th saying that the item departed the shipping partner on its way to the USPS. That's it. 2.5 weeks later, I don't know if USPS has it or not, and neither the sender nor USPS can tell me.

WTF?
Old 02-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #20830
cuervo72
Head Coach

DeJoy is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. Or not giving, if it never gets delivered...

(It was never this bad. We'd used USPS every holiday/birthday and it was never an issue before now.)
Old 02-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #20831
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it's never been anything like this. Maybe delivered to the wrong addy in the same neighborhood or a day late (or a couple at Christmas). But things lost in a distribution center ("in transit") for a week or more - I've been doing a lot of eBay, Amazon, et al, for years and this is orders of magnitude worse than it's ever been.

I never understood when people complained about USPS. I've lived in a number of different places and never had issues like they've had the last few months. /This/ is what a non-functioning USPS looks like and needs to be fixed.

SI

Old 02-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #20832
Ksyrup

The funny thing is, their website has all of this information on if your package is delayed, contact us. If it's these types of packages, here's how long you should wait before you contact us, etc. They have an email link on multiple pages - it's not active. They have a phone number. I called it and the only info they have is what's on the tracking page... which is where I eventually found the "help" page to email or call if my package is delayed beyond 14 days.

It's like a big circle jerk. It's almost as if the website was beefed up to mask the behind-the-scenes tear-down of any ability to help!
Old 02-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #20833
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My cousin is a postal worker and said it is horrific.

Over the summer we went to Nantucket for vacation. I send a box of supplies, paper towels, etc...and the same day sent a box of clothes to my SIL in England.

The box from NJ to Mass took 3 weeks and I got it the day before our vacation ended. The one going to England took 4 days.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #20834
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Being on South Park really seems to age some people.

HEY
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #20835
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My cousin is a postal worker and said it is horrific.

That matches everything I've heard from the multiple postal worker friends I have.

Some horror stories that I find completely credible (given that I know the source personally, and they're direct experiences not six degrees of separation tales). Like not receiving magazines to deliver -- period -- from October until January. Like getting a roughly 90:10 split of parcels to first class mail for weeks on end.

For all my criticism of local offices (and my local is horrible, consistently, for years), they can only deliver what shows up on the truck each morning. That's an inescapable reality.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #20836
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:46 PM   #20837
rjolley
College Starter

My first question is...why is Kent a recommended name 3 times? Is Kent that good of a name?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #20838
Ksyrup

I'm partial to italicized Kent.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #20839
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Brufus, you say?

SI

Old 02-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #20840
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We just gonna ignore the warning in the upper right corner?
Old 02-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #20841
Ksyrup

Sharp edges is the last thing I'd be worried about if I was trying to have an anal breach baby.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #20842
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
We just gonna ignore the warning in the upper right corner?

I'm hoping if I ignore it long enough, it'll go away on its own.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:59 AM   #20843
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #20844
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Running Man is the best movie based off a Stephen King novel.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-06-2021 at 04:29 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #20845
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Running Man is the best movie based off of a Stephen King novel.

Prove me wrong.

Are we disqualifying The Shawshank Redemption because the source is not a novel but a short story?

SI

Old 02-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #20846
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The Running Man is the best movie based off of a Stephen King novel.

Prove me wrong.

Shawshank Redemption
Stand By Me
The Green Mile
The Shining

probably others.

If they ever make eyes of the Dragon I would be all in. Easily my favorite King book.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #20847
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I know it's a made-for-TV movie and kindof feels like one (though it has a /huge/ cast) but I love The Stand

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-06-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #20848
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I know it's a made-for-TV movie and kindof feels like one (though it has a /huge/ cast) but I love The Stand

SI

The original mini series is tremendous. Very under rated and a great cast.

Gary Sinese
Molly Ringwald
Rob Lowe
Bill Fagerbake
The girl from that other show who played Nadine
Miguel Ferrer who played Llloyd.

Not sure how I feel about the new one. It is very jarring how they are handling it. I want to like it but think I hate it.

Last edited by Lathum : 02-06-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #20849
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Are we disqualifying The Shawshank Redemption because the source is not a novel but a short story?

SI

Nope, I just wanted to create a conversation away from creepy birthing toys.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #20850
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If they ever make eyes of the Dragon I would be all in. Easily my favorite King book.

Not my favorite book but I would love to see an adaptation of it.