Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

In Season Renegotiation

Hi all! I finally took the plunge and bought FOF8!

First question I have, to make sure I'm reading this right. From the help file...

Quote:
During the regular season, you can't renegotiate a player's contract. You can, however, still offer a Cap Out to free up a little bit of salary cap space.

Does this mean that if I'm in 2021, and have a player who is on a contract ending at the end of that season, I have to extend his contract before the season starts, otherwise my only option to avoid him hitting free agency is the franchise tag? That's a really big difference from FOF7.

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Yes, it does indeed mean that: once week 1 games are played, you can no longer extend contracts.

This is new in FOF8. And to me to is one of the biggest difference for roster building strategy. For me it means that the sims after pre-season week 2 and regular season week 1 are the phase of season to do contract extensions. Occasionally I do some in early free agency too, but only to get under the cap or to make some cap space available. But in mid to late pre-season I do it for what you suggest: avoid players from becoming free agents.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
finkellll
n00b

I think there is an old thread somewhere where it is explained that the game was miscalculating the cap hits when the reneg was done in the season, which of course was abused.
finkellll is offline   Reply With Quote