Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #552
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Raptors fired Dwayne Casey, no big surprise. Stackhouse already under contract and in your organization, you might as well give him a shot at running the big ship.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #553
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I thought they've been grooming Nick Nurse and he's the heir apparent
Old 05-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #554
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Raptors fired Dwayne Casey, no big surprise. Stackhouse already under contract and in your organization, you might as well give him a shot at running the big ship.

I feel it is insane that a guy wins coach of the year and then is fired two days later. Also, it's no big surprise.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #555
korme
Go Reds

I'm hearing Budenholzer to Toronto.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #556
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I feel it is insane that a guy wins coach of the year and then is fired two days later. Also, it's no big surprise.

He won the coach's coach of the year, an award that is 2 years old. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. While he still may win the traditional media COY, that award won't be handed out until mid-June.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #557
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Stolen from Twitter

Raptors fire Dwane Casey because team won 59 games, was the No. 1 seed and was swept by the Cavs and are interested in Mike Budenholzer, whose 2014-15 team won 60 games, was the No. 1 seed and was swept by the Cavs.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #558
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
He won the coach's coach of the year, an award that is 2 years old. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. While he still may win the traditional media COY, that award won't be handed out until mid-June.

So are you arguing that the media are better at identifying coaching performance than coaches?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #559
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think media stinks, but the coaches not giving Brad Stevens a single vote lets you know they clearly don't appreciate the young guy showing them up out of college.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #560
mckerney
Coordinator

Dwane Casey can't catch a break. He got a raw deal when he was fired by Kevin McHale for only having the team at 20-20 and contending for a playoff spot with Ricky Davis, Mike James, Trenton Hassell and Mark Blount starting alongside Garnett.

Randy Wittman finished out that season going 12-30.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #561
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd probs hire Stackhouse. If he's a mistake you can pivot off of him to some other retread. If the guy that they bring in falters, Stackhouse probably will have left by then.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #562
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think media stinks, but the coaches not giving Brad Stevens a single vote lets you know they clearly don't appreciate the young guy showing them up out of college.
Ehh, it's a fraternity and sometimes you want to give it to a good guy who could use the boost. I don't think most of those people actually think Dwayne Casey is a better coach than Gregg Popovich, f.e., and I don't think Stevens is disliked by many in that group. It's not even like Stevens was a frontunner - I thought he should get a couple votes, but the groundswell for him only picked up after Kyrie was officially ruled out and these playoffs in particular, which might have been after votes were cast.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #563
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Which will only work (for him) if he has complete control.

Otherwise, well, get ready for another vacancy in a couple years
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #564
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think certain Celtics homers (like Bill Simmons) are overrating Jayson Tatum just a bit, but man, if he's adding that Harden-esque step back 3 from the corner as an iso move at his age...
Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #565
Dantooine98
n00b

^^ I really think Tatum right now is better than both Mitchell and Simmons. I guess those top two teams who skipped on Tatum are regretting it
Dantooine98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #566
Dantooine98
n00b

people should also credit Ainge for giving him that kind of personnel... Ainge is really shrewd that's why other GMs really don't trust this guy

Quote:
Dantooine98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #567
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't watch too much NBA. Has Houston's offense always been dribble for 20 seconds and shoot a step back 3?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #568
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

When it's not Harden trying to crash into someone to draw a foul, yeah. /Snark

Houston is actually incredible, but both these teams are showing how incredibly hard it is to face a defense that can switch at will at every position. Hard to believe that it's the defenses stealing the show between these two teams.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #569
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I don't watch too much NBA. Has Houston's offense always been dribble for 20 seconds and shoot a step back 3?
No, they've drastically upped their % of isolation's this season to take advantage of Harden/Paul's skillsets, and partially to counter those switch everything defenses that cut down on the number of drive and kick 3's they can get in the playoffs vs dialed in defenses. How Mike D'Antoni learned to embrace the iso, and why he won't stop now - NBA

Also, unrelated, but lololololololol Robert Covington made 1st team All-NBA defensive team. Has anyone else gotten overrated so quickly because they were on a cheap contract? Guy was getting benched during defense-only possessions coming out of timeouts in the 76ers/Celtics series.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #570
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Amazing performance by LBJ.

+1
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #571
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Is he ever going to actually get old?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #572
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Is he ever going to actually get old?

At this rate would anyone be surprised if he could play reasonably well into his mid 40s if he wants to? I don't think much is out of the question until he does something like tear out an Achilles or needs microfracture.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:53 AM   #573
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Don't matter. He's losing the next one and won't get to the Finals for once.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:21 AM   #574
Groundhog
Coordinator

I hate to say it, but I think Lavar is spot on with his comments re: the Lakers' "celebrity trainer". Bogut had a veiled comment a week or so ago on Twitter without naming which trainer/team he was talking about, but I think Lavar's tweet makes it clear.

Oh, and yeah, Celtics by 15+ next game, and Warriors with two wins I think, assuming no Paul.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #575
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm trying to root for the Rockets, but it's such an ugly brand of offense that they run. It might work more often than not with the guys they have, but it's just not fun to watch. Less than 4 minutes into the 2nd Q and at least 6 bad contested 3s attempted just this quarter alone.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:53 AM   #576
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Maybe they do this every win and I just never noticed until now, but the Warriors dropped a crap ton of confetti on the court after winning today. It was as if they had won the championship instead of just tied the series at 3. Do they always do that for a win?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #577
korme
Go Reds

I just want a tight game tonight, and a Herculean LeBron performance.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #578
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Cavs dont stand a chance if someone else doesnt step up. Lebron is the one man show and the only one able to create anything.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #579
Groundhog
Coordinator

Tatum with a hell of a stuff on LeBron, but he might regret the bump on LBJ on the way back down the court... we'll see.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #580
JPhillips
General Manager

All I want is a finals that isn't GS/CLE.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #581
Groundhog
Coordinator

Holy crap. Morris holding him down and he still puts it in.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #582
Groundhog
Coordinator

The worst Finals team LeBron has been on since his first, easily.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #583
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Amazing performance by LBJ.

Quote:
+1

+2

Absolutely amazing.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #584
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The worst Finals team LeBron has been on since his first, easily.

Yes.

But NOT worse than that first one.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #585
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yikes that last quarter was serious Lebron favored officiating. Oh well another GS- Cleveland final how boring. Worst sports league competition wise. What a joke the NBA is. I am done.

Speaking of yikes...

Yikes this post.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #586
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yes.

But it's close.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #587
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Wow Lebron! Congratulations. Remarkable achievement getting this team to the finals.

And the Celtics should be proud as well. These youngsters played well and the future is very bright. Tatum can build off of these playoffs and carry it into the next season to make a huge leap.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #588
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
And the Celtics should be proud as well. These youngsters played well and the future is very bright. Tatum can build off of these playoffs and carry it into the next season to make a huge leap.

Wholeheartedly agree with this Celtic take. Hopefully, this performance tonight will stop that hot take nonsense about trading Kyrie and starting Rozier.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #589
Groundhog
Coordinator

Looking at that 06-07 Cavs roster (yikes, memories come flooding back), without Love you could make the argument that Larry Hughes would still be the 2nd best player on this team, and Drew Gooden for all his faults (and he had many) might be the 3rd best.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #590
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Looking at that 06-07 Cavs roster (yikes, memories come flooding back), without Love you could make the argument that Larry Hughes would still be the 2nd best player on this team, and Drew Gooden for all his faults (and he had many) might be the 3rd best.

Larry Hughes? Didnt they have the big Z? Hughes couldnt have been their 2nd best player considering he was highly inefficient offensive player with poor defensive skills. Larry Hughes is a poor mans JR Smith IMO.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #592
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree with this Celtic take. Hopefully, this performance tonight will stop that hot take nonsense about trading Kyrie and starting Rozier.

Which situation do you like better at the moment going forward Boston or Philly?
Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #593
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Celtics had that game won, but for some reason, those kids decided to play like kids down the stretch. Rozier getting that many opportunities to brick was deplorable, and it seems no timeout could settle them down from making awful decisions. It's as if they think a 3 pointer is worth more than 3 points every time they eschew the inside two for a kickout 3 that somebody bricks.

That said, Cavs turned on the jets when they needed to at the end and Boston refused to answer.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-27-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #594
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Larry Hughes? Didnt they have the big Z? Hughes couldnt have been their 2nd best player considering he was highly inefficient offensive player with poor defensive skills. Larry Hughes is a poor mans JR Smith IMO.

Z slumped a bit that season. Bounced back the next year. Hughes wasn't really a poor man's JR IMO, he was never that one dimensional. He was pretty good at a lot of things and great at none. Meanwhile Gooden was flirting with a double-double line and making people go nuts while still not playing a lick of D and losing track of his man on 75% of possessions.

And Sasha... looked promising at times, and then fell of a cliff. And Eric Snow... wow, what horrible, horrible memories. Looking back, it makes me even more grateful for the Cleveland championship season.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 PM   #595
bhlloy
Coordinator

GOAT. 5-0 in playoff games playing all 48 minutes. 35, 12 and 7 in game 7’s.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:44 AM   #596
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yes.

I'm not sure either of those teams win 20 without him.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:40 AM   #597
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This Cavs off-season should be fascinating.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:47 AM   #598
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Billy King has gotta be pissed he isn't getting a ring for building this Celts team.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #599
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Celtics had that game won, but for some reason, those kids decided to play like kids down the stretch. Rozier getting that many opportunities to brick was deplorable, and it seems no timeout could settle them down from making awful decisions. It's as if they think a 3 pointer is worth more than 3 points every time they eschew the inside two for a kickout 3 that somebody bricks.

That said, Cavs turned on the jets when they needed to at the end and Boston refused to answer.
Take out Marcus Smart who I think should never shoot off the dribble, and that's 5 decent or better 3-pt shooters who went 7-35. During the stretch from 3:30 to 1:15 when it was 76-73 at the start and 79-74 until Hill made the breakaway layup, I thought Horford, Morris and Rozier 2x had good open catch & shoot looks and just missed all 4. Maybe the pressure was in their heads when shooting, but I didn't think they were rushing shots or doing things that aren't normally in our offense, they just missed shots that they've been hitting all playoffs at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Always a wonderful day when the Celtics choke.
They lost in 7 to a team that was heavily favored coming into the series. I don't really think that's choking, like say a team that's -340 to win a series losing in 5 games, but YMMV.

Whether it's Cleveland or Philly I definitely hope LeBron stays in the East next season. Another great game by him, though I could do without people celebrating his staredown and pretending that was another great chasedown block on Rozier when he clearly fouled him on the arm after initially getting ball.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #600
RainMaker
General Manager

Paul out for Game 7. Huge break again for the Warriors.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote