Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
capsicum
Banned

Not Fats! (Updated)

Fats Domino Missing in New Orleans Floods
By JAKE COYLE, AP

AP
R&B legend Fats Domino, whose real name is Antoine Domino, told his agent he planned to stay at his New Orleans house with his family.
Artist Information:

NEW YORK (Sept. 1) - Fats Domino was missing Thursday, days after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, said his longtime agent, Al Embry.

Embry told The Associated Press that he hadn't been able to contact Domino since talking to him Sunday evening by phone.

The 77-year-old R&B legend, whose real name is Antoine Domino, told Embry that he planned to stay at his New Orleans house with his wife, Rosemary, and their daughter.

"I hope somebody turns him up, but as of right now, we haven't got anybody that knows where he's at," said Embry, who has worked with Domino for 28 years. "I would think he might be safe because somebody said he was on top of the balcony."

Checquoline Davis, Domino's niece, posted a message on Craigslist.com Thursday pleading for information. Davis wrote that Domino, his wife, their children and grandchildren "didn't get out" of the second floor.

Domino, who has rarely appeared in public in recent years, has a home in the 9th ward, a low-lying area of the flooded city.

Getting information on possible missing persons has been nearly impossible as phone lines for hospitals and police haven't been working.

Domino has sold more than 110 million records in his long career, including the legendary singles "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame."

His 1950 recording of "The Fat Man" is sometimes called the first real rock 'n' roll record. He was among the first honorees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I have several old fats cd's..I sure hope he makes it out of this mess.

Last edited by capsicum : 09-03-2005 at 01:07 AM.
capsicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Heard about him last night and had no idea he sold that many albums. Wow.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

He's at the Superdome.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

His family compound was one of the first things that a lifelong local resident drove us past on our first trip to New Orleans together.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
capsicum
Banned

JonInMiddleGA,

Several people were throwing out guesses, most of which were probably not meant very complimentary, about who my husband was before It became public knowledge, you were one of theose suggestions...and I have to say after reading many of your posts I choose to take it as a compliment

Last edited by capsicum : 09-01-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Hey there's a reason I thought it was Jon .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
capsicum
Banned

Quote:
ISiddiqui already posted this news in another thread but I thought I would go ahead and post it here, for anyone who might have missed it!

Fats Domino, who had been unaccounted for in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, was plucked from the flooded city by a rescue boat.

His daughter, Karen Domino White, who lives in New Jersey, identified her father in a picture taken Monday night by a New Orleans Times-Picayune photographer. The singer is seen being helped from a boat by an emergency crew.

There was no word on where he was taken. There was also no word on the whereabouts of family members that had been with him before the storm hit.

An APB went out for the musician and his family soon after the levees broke and flooded his neighborhood in the city's 9th Ward, an area that is now littered with dead bodies.

The musician's niece, Checquoline Davis, posted a plea on Craigslist.com for information on her missing relatives, writing that Domino and his wife, Rosemary, and their children and grandchildren "didn't get out" of their New Orleans home. Her plea was one of thousands seeking information on missing friends and family on the site.

The R&B legend had last been heard from on Sunday night, a day before the storm struck. During a phone call with longtime agent Al Embry, the 77-year-old performer insisted he would ride out the hurricane in his three-story home.

The singer and boogie-woogie pianist, born Antoine Domino, has sold over 110 million records in his nearly five-decade career highlighted by the jukebox staples "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame." The New Orleans music fixture's 1949 recording of "The Fat Man" is considered by some to be the first rock 'n' roll record, and Domino was among the inaugural group of inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

Another Hall of Famer, singer-songwriter Allen Toussaint, was listed among the missing, although Fox News reported that Toussaint may be among the 20,000-plus refugees seeking shelter in the Super Dome.

With New Orleans a hub of jazz, blues and even rap, several musicians were impacted by the storm. Rapper Juvenile's home was destroyed and he says he has lost several friends. Soul Asylum frontman Dave Pirner, who was waiting out the storm in his native Minneapolis, told the Associated Press he still hadn't heard anything about the condition of his home and recording studio in the Crescent City. Pirner moved there seven years ago.

Meanwhile, several high-powered denizens are rallying support. Master P, whose home was swamped and who hasn't been able to track down his uncle, father-in-law or sister-in-law, has announced the formation of a charity, Team Rescue, and is organizing a "Save Our Hood" concert and benefit album. Wynton Marsalis will play both NBC and BET's telethons in the coming days. Louisiana natives Tim McGraw and Harry Connick Jr. will also perform at the NBC event and have made public appeals for help.

"I haven't slept in days," Connick says in a statement. "Although I now finally know that my immediate family in New Orleans is safe, I have not heard from many, many friends and other family members.

"New Orleans is my essence, my soul, my muse, and I can only dream that one day she will recapture her glory. I will do everything within my power to make that happen and to help in any way I can to ease the suffering of my city, my people!"

Quote:
Good News!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
...and I have to say after reading many of your posts I choose to take it as a compliment

Aw shucks, thank y'kindly ma'am
Old 09-02-2005, 01:29 AM   #10
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281

I didn't know SkyDog played the piano.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:53 AM   #11
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
The musician's niece, Checquoline Davis, posted a plea on Craigslist.com for information on her missing relatives, writing that Domino and his wife, Rosemary, and their children and grandchildren "didn't get out" of their New Orleans home. Her plea was one of thousands seeking information on missing friends and family on the site.
I really don't mean to make light of this in any way, but exactly how would one say "Checquoline."

Last edited by BigJohn&TheLions : 09-02-2005 at 02:54 AM.
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:59 AM   #12
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
I really don't mean to make light of this in any way, but exactly how would one say "Checquoline."

Just a wild guess, but maybe

check-woe-LEAN
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

Sept. 2, 2005, 4:40PM

LSU quarterback shared home with Fats Domino for two days

Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. — Fats Domino and his family spent two days with Louisiana State University's quarterback after being rescued from the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina, then moved on.

"I'm not sure where they are headed, but I just feel better knowing that they are OK," an LSU news release quoted quarterback JaMarcus Russell as saying.

The 77-year-old R&B singer and his family are friends with the family of Russell's girlfriend, sports information director Michael Bonnette said.

"It was kind of a friend of a friend thing," Bonnette said.

Domino apparently was rescued by boat on Monday. After that, Bonnette said, he was brought to the Superdome, where he eventually was put on a bus to an evacuee triage center in LSU's basketball arena.

Domino, who had checked in under his given name of Antoine Domino, was reunited there with his family. Then he, his family and a dozen other people from New Orleans went to Russell's apartment just off the LSU campus.

Russell was on the lookout for them and finally made contact with them Wednesday night, Bonnette said.

The news release quoted Domino as thanking Russell and saying, "Tell the people of New Orleans that I'm safe. I wish I was able to still be there with them, but I hope to see them soon."

The quarterback told Bonnette that, all told, about 20 people had been staying in the two-bedroom apartment. Russell said he had spent most of the two days helping them with errands that included grocery trips and a 2 a.m. pharmacy run to get medicine for Domino.

Domino and the others had no set destination when they left, Bonnette said.

"With so many people in that small apartment, I think they were just trying to find another place," he said.

Domino had been reported missing Thursday by his longtime agent, Al Embry, and his niece, Checquoline Davis. Domino's daughter, Karen Domino White, said Thursday she had seen a photograph of her father taken Monday by The Times-Picayune of New Orleans showing him being helped off a boat by rescuers.

Bonnette said he didn't know if he could reach Russell for The Associated Press. He said he had tried earlier, but got no answer.

"He's probably sleeping. He hasn't slept for two days, he told me," Bonnette said.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote