Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #601
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Was involved in a Twitter thread about SOS and OOC schedule. Someone made the point if Oregon scheduled an easier OOC opponent than Auburn they have a legit shot at the playoff. IT sucks that the Alabamas of the world play no one OOC, but totally understandable why they don't.

What is there was a system where you schedule 2 OOC games or 3 depending on conference games, but there was one game you had to play. They come up with a rotating system where the P5 conferences play an OOC game against each other, with the odd p% conference out playing a group of 5 team.

For example, every ACC team plays a PAC 12 team based on finish the year before. So we would get Clemson V Oregon, UVA V Utah, etc...SEC V Big 12 so we get LSU V OK, Georgia V Baylor, Bama V Texas, etc...Then Big 10 v group of 5, tOSU V Boise, Wisconsin V Memphis, etc..

I am obviously taking some liberties with the matchups but the point remains. It would give some amazing early season matchups.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #602
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I am several beers deep so I hope that makes sense like it did in my head
Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #603
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Was involved in a Twitter thread about SOS and OOC schedule. Someone made the point if Oregon scheduled an easier OOC opponent than Auburn they have a legit shot at the playoff. IT sucks that the Alabamas of the world play no one OOC, but totally understandable why they don't.

What is there was a system where you schedule 2 OOC games or 3 depending on conference games, but there was one game you had to play. They come up with a rotating system where the P5 conferences play an OOC game against each other, with the odd p% conference out playing a group of 5 team.

For example, every ACC team plays a PAC 12 team based on finish the year before. So we would get Clemson V Oregon, UVA V Utah, etc...SEC V Big 12 so we get LSU V OK, Georgia V Baylor, Bama V Texas, etc...Then Big 10 v group of 5, tOSU V Boise, Wisconsin V Memphis, etc..

I am obviously taking some liberties with the matchups but the point remains. It would give some amazing early season matchups.

This then puts schools that have OOC rivalry games against other P5 programs at a disadvantage. It also doesn't resolve the issue of the SEC and ACC's advantage in playing 8 conference games. With 1 guaranteed P5 school on their schedule they're still playing less P5 schools unless they schedule one on their own.

This is exactly what playoff detractors were predicting would happen. More often than not, because of the small sample size of games in college football, it's better to win against a terrible team rather than lose to a great one. The best approach to consistently getting yourself in the playoff conversation is to schedule weak OOC games and eventually the door will open for you. Baylor is a great example, they're not one of the 10 best teams in the country but they have a chance going into the Big 12 championship game because they have 3 OOC wins rather than a loss.

In college football the conferences aren't balanced, the schedules aren't balanced, the talent is balanced, the revenue and money spent isn't balanced. Trying to shoehorn fairness into a system that's inherently unfair just breaks the system further.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #604
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't think Bama has had more than 4 road games (mandated by the conference) since Bear Bryant was coach. Heck, Utah had 6 road games last year (including @ Northern IL). USC also had 6 this year. Everyone says how great the SEC is, but the reality is that Bama, Auburn, Georgia and LSU only have 4 road conf games (usually 2 are patsies) and rarely every play a road non-conf game (maybe 1 between them every couple years - and never Bama). The rest of the US isn't so lucky. Playing 8 home games a year is a great way to keep your conference looking good in the polls.

The only real solution is to go to an 8-team tourney and mandate 9 conference games for all power 5 conferences.

Last edited by Arles : 12-06-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #605
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This then puts schools that have OOC rivalry games against other P5 programs at a disadvantage.

But how many great OOC rivalry games are there opposed to the awesome early season OOC matchups we would see?

Plus if we could get to an 8 team playoff an early season loss wouldnt kill you
Old 12-07-2019, 01:24 AM   #606
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But how many great OOC rivalry games are there opposed to the awesome early season OOC matchups we would see?

Quite a few.

And some of those are "if you go 1-11 but you get THE one, well ..." kinda games.

Also overlooked here is local interest (the people who have to buy tickets) vs abstract national interest.

Take this snippet about UConn & their move to Independent status
Quote:
Schools like Duke, NC State and Purdue will be combined with regional opponents like Boston College, UMass and Army and create a schedule that might not be objectively stronger than one that includes eight opponents from The American, but definitely more relevant to fans, players, and alumni.

There's three Top 25 teams in the American this year, have been as many as 4 recently IIRC ... but their fans, players, and alumni would prefer to see UMass and Army.

There's no one in Athens that is getting excited about UGA/Utah or UGA/UVA or UGA/Wisconsin. You might as well send Wofford or whomever. And those games - even for a 1st place team, are going to happen too. Everything isn't going to be LSU/Ohio State.

Also, for many (as I've noted before), their opportunity to see "their team" play at remotely reasonable prices comes from the aftermarket for the existing non-conference opponents. Those people are future students, a lot of the merch base, etc. You don't really gain from cutting into that, even by the small amount you might see increased interest in Colorado vs Charleston Southern.

And then there's the financial hit you're laying on programs at each level down. Some of least competitive games on P5 schedules are a very large part of the loser's entire athletic department budget for the year. And that trickles all the way down. DIII teams schedule NAIA patsies too.

Ultimately, that's the problem with all these sorts of ideas: they're for the benefit of "fans" who don't give two shits about the teams they're impacting.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #607
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

There's no one in Athens that is getting excited about UGA/Utah or UGA/UVA or UGA/Wisconsin. You might as well send Wofford or whomever. And those games - even for a 1st place team, are going to happen too. Everything isn't going to be LSU/Ohio State.

You are wrong on this. UGA-Notre Dame the last couple years really excited the fan base. And while Virginia isn't as sexy, it will still draw more eyes/discussion than Wofford. Most of the fan base is excited the school is finally scheduling some tough OOC teams to add to Georgia Tech every year. We have Oregon, Oklahoma, Clemson, at UCLA home and home etc, etc, etc. all coming up. It is fine to have a couple of patsy games every year, but the games with the major players are where the fun is.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #608
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
You are wrong on this. UGA-Notre Dame the last couple years really excited the fan base.

I didn't say games against top 15 and/or legacy programs, did I?

I was trying to point out that not every game in that ridiculous rotation idea is going to be that sort of game. Somebody gets stuck playing {insert mediocre P5 program with zero connection to far away fanbases here} too. And it works in every direction as well as the local version I used. Somebody somewhere gets stuck playing Vandy too, or hell, 2019 Tech for that matter.

Quote:
the games with the major players are where the fun is.

Winning is where the fun is. And you're delusional if you believe otherwise.

edit to add: Lose to Oregon or one of those upcoming games you mentioned, see how fast it remains popular. See how fast it ends up costing Kirby his job for that matter.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-07-2019 at 12:31 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #609
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The last six quarters played by Alabama backup QBs haven't been especially pretty.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #610
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't think even Virginians get all that excited about UVa football.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #611
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I don't think even Virginians get all that excited about UVa football.

Exactly.

(Lest Virginians think they're being picked on, you could insert almost all ACC teams in that sentence and it still works)
Old 12-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #612
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oklahoma trying really hard to make sure that UGA gets into the playoff even if they lose today.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #613
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This Baylor 3rd stringer QB has been insane!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-07-2019 at 02:14 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #614
JPhillips
General Manager

3rd string QB for Baylor now 2/2 and 161 yds.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #615
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Oklahoma trying really hard to make sure that UGA gets into the playoff even if they lose today.

No way they take a 2 loss non conference champ over a one loss big 12 champ who avenged their only loss.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #616
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No way they take a 2 loss non conference champ over a one loss big 12 champ who avenged their only loss.

Baylor (potentially) with a backup QB has zero appeal. And less than zero chance.

All today has done is expose Oklahoma. Badly.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #617
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Only if UGA loses to LSU by the barest of margins could that even be a possibility. Yeah, I think UGA has to win it to be in.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #618
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Anti-climatic OT. Oklahoma just bossed that Overtime.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #619
bhlloy
Coordinator

We’ve secretly replaced Baylor’s OL with tackling dummies before the start of overtime. Let’s see how this goes!
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #620
GrantDawg

If the Dawgs are only going to rush three all game, this game is already over.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #621
tarcone
Coordinator

Ohio St. is going to kick Oklahomas arse.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #622
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If the Dawgs are only going to rush three all game, this game is already over.

You ain't wrong.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #623
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The best approach to consistently getting yourself in the playoff conversation is to schedule weak OOC games and eventually the door will open for you. .

Is it though?
Since the playoff was introduced Bama, Clemson and Ohio State are the 3 most frequent members. All 3 have schedule marquee out of conference games with my Tigers I'd argue doing it more than any...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #624
GrantDawg

Has it been mentioned that Lane Kiffin was hired at Ole Miss?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #625
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Has it been mentioned that Lane Kiffin was hired at Ole Miss?

It was up the thread some IIRC, seemed like a fait accompli so it hasn't been mentioned here since becoming official.

But, yes, it is now official.

Coming off probation, what could POSSIBLY go wrong with that choice?

On the bright side, now I no longer have to concern myself with the program aside from hoping they lose everything they ever participate in. I hold testicular cancer in higher regard than that miserable bastard.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #626
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Is it though?
Since the playoff was introduced Bama, Clemson and Ohio State are the 3 most frequent members. All 3 have schedule marquee out of conference games with my Tigers I'd argue doing it more than any...

Clemson and Alabama both recruit 5 star talent all over the field and replace NFL draft picks with NFL draft picks. It's highly unlikely an Iowa, Baylor, Virginia, Utah or vast majority of programs are going to be able to do that. With the way scheduling is done in college football it's best for those schools to schedule 1 mediocre P5 school, 1 G5, and 1 FCS rather than hope the stars align when they play a difficult schedule. Consistently winning keeps you in the conversation and will eventually get you opportunity.

Clemson has the 83rd ranked schedule this year per FEI. That schedule sits between Air Force and SMU in terms of difficulty. The primary defense for them them has been they haven't lost in 2 years and have continually proven themselves as belonging.

It's unlikely Baylor was one of the top 15 teams this year. Definitely not top 10, but they were within OT of likely going to the playoff because they have wins rather than a loss to a marque non-conference team. It also helps to recover from a marque non-conference loss when you start in the top 5. The Baylor, Iowas, Virginias, and Utahs of the college football world are highly unikey to start the year in the top 5.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #627
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the toughest part of having the playoff without non-automatic qualifiers, is balancing the weight between who has the most talented, well-rounded team vs which team had the best, most successful season (win total, conference championship, margin of victory, etc.).

A team like Baylor or Utah is rarely going to have the former, but this season both entered the weekend with a claim to the latter. Notre Dame had it last year with the undefeated season (over superior Ohio St and (somewhat lesser) Oklahoma teams, so only one of the two made it).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #628
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola, I don’t know what the criteria for college football hall of fame, but does Jalen Hurts make it? He’s had a pretty remarkable/interesting career.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #629
tarcone
Coordinator

Ohio St. Vs. Oklahoma
LSU v. Clemson.

Not bad. I think that is how it should be.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #630
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Ohio St. Vs. Oklahoma
LSU v. Clemson.

Given how things have gone to this point, I think the teams are set. To me, no one deserves to be in over 1-loss Clemson or Ohio St., so just a matter of how things shake out if there is an upset in the ACC or Big Ten games. Most likely position shift may be if LSU jumps Ohio St., depending on how they do tonight.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #631
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is a beating and a half. I predicted LSU would win by 20, but UGA looks even worse than I thought they would.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #632
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mild future irony alert (perhaps)

If LSU is to avoid post-Burrow regression, that probably lies on the shoulders of inbound recruit Max Johnson.

Nephew of Mark Richt (and son of Brad Johnson), who grew up about 10 mins from Sanford Stadium.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #633
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a good game. LSU is definitely the better team.

What can I say other than ... geaux tigers!
Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #634
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Clemson and Alabama both recruit 5 star talent all over the field and replace NFL draft picks with NFL draft picks. It's highly unlikely an Iowa, Baylor, Virginia, Utah or vast majority of programs are going to be able to do that. With the way scheduling is done in college football it's best for those schools to schedule 1 mediocre P5 school, 1 G5, and 1 FCS rather than hope the stars align when they play a difficult schedule. Consistently winning keeps you in the conversation and will eventually get you opportunity.

Clemson has the 83rd ranked schedule this year per FEI. That schedule sits between Air Force and SMU in terms of difficulty. The primary defense for them them has been they haven't lost in 2 years and have continually proven themselves as belonging.

It's unlikely Baylor was one of the top 15 teams this year. Definitely not top 10, but they were within OT of likely going to the playoff because they have wins rather than a loss to a marque non-conference team. It also helps to recover from a marque non-conference loss when you start in the top 5. The Baylor, Iowas, Virginias, and Utahs of the college football world are highly unikey to start the year in the top 5.

Right, but you can't control conference schedules. The post of mine you quoted was in the discussion about non conference games. Out of conference Clemson played two sec teams....what more can they do schedule wise?
Old 12-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #635
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Btw, I'm sure the esteemed man from Athens Jimga can finish this one for me...
Red Shirts, Silver Britches.....
Old 12-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #636
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Btw, I'm sure the esteemed man from Athens Jimga can finish this one for me...
Red Shirts, Silver Britches.....

I have to assume the ending you have in mind would be
Go to Hell, you sonsofbitches

#THWG
Old 12-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #637
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Ohio St. Vs. Oklahoma
LSU v. Clemson.

LSU Vs. Oklahoma
Ohio St. v. Clemson

I think LSU leapfrogs Ohio St. after handling #4 Georgia the way they did.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #638
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
LSU Vs. Oklahoma
Ohio St. v. Clemson

I think LSU leapfrogs Ohio St. after handling #4 Georgia the way they did.

I think that was the plan all along. It's a wrestling script, the lead falters but then comes back and takes the match at the last moment!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #639
PilotMan
Head Coach

NDSU freshman quarterback, Trey Lance, has thrown 219 passes, over 2000 yards, and 23 touchdown, with 0 interceptions.

Oh, and he's rushed for 741 yards and 10 more touchdowns. I think he might be better than Easton Stick already.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #640
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This always blows my mind (I think I've mentioned the streak at least once or twice in past years)

For all the talk in recent years about Alabama as a dynasty, well, there's dynasties and then there are DYNASTIES.

With today's upset of Mary Hardin-Baylor by Wisconsin-Whitewater in the D3 football playoffs, combined with last weekend's 59-52 shocker by North Central over Mount Union, this year's D3 final will not include either Mount Union nor MH-Baylor for the first time since 1999.

Yep. That's right one or both had been in 19 straight finals.

Lest anyone paint Wis-Whitewater as a Cinderella, consider that they've been in 9 finals in that stretch themselves.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-07-2019 at 07:41 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #641
Edward64
Head Coach

Kiffin to Ole Miss.

Many on the Razorbacks board are lamenting about how Old Miss is a more attractive rung-up-the-ladder than AR. There was a time when AR was comfortably ahead of both MS schools.

I was never sold on Kiffin but Norvell would have been great. Our AD has made a good Basketball hire so I'll keep hoping he pulls out a good coach for us.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #642
tarcone
Coordinator

Wiscy came to play. They want that Rose Bowl.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #643
Edward64
Head Coach

So if the Badgers win, it'll be?

1) LSU
2) Clemson
3) Oklahoma
4) OSU
Old 12-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #644
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No matter how it ends up, that drive by Wisconsin to end the half was some big time stuff. Hat tip worthy.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #645
tarcone
Coordinator

B1G East is a weak division.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #646
Edward64
Head Coach

Wow, great catch.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #647
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

42-7 second half coming up.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #648
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Cant believe we have to put up with Oklahoma again. Pac-12 has no one to blame but themselves this year.

3 great teams this year and well the next 8-12 are all about a tier and a half less.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #649
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This second half for OSU has been simply unreal!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 10:37 PM   #650
lungs
Pro Rookie

At least I was able to pretend for one half of football!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote