Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #2001
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I watched a CK2 walk-through which was 30-45 minutes per part and something like 110 parts long, so...yeah.

Yeah, I wasn't counting all of the Civ5 Let's Plays I've watched (20-30 hours long each). Sometimes you just want to watch others play instead. Wolfenstein was addictive because I wanted to know how it was going to play out, not so much the action.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #2002
Dutch
"Dutch"

Now, I probably should've watched some tutorials on CKII (and HOI3) but holy crap...that's a lot of investment in time.

HOI4 is supposed to be much easier to play than HOI3 was, fwiw.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #2003
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I don't watch TV so this is my passive entertainment.

Interestingly enough this is basically my 16 y/o.

He's watching, umm I think it's AlChestBreach at the moment. Between Al, Francis/Boogie, TotalBiscuit, Angry Joe and that crazy ass sports games guy that's basically his "TV".
Old 07-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #2004
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yep. My 14yo devours YouTube vids. Some reviews, some play-throughs, some plain random stuff. It's also basically his TV.

Some of the CK2 or Civ V plays that I've viewed I've only half paid attention to - listening to the commentary while working, or watching while half watching TV, etc. If I miss something important I'll skip back and pay more attention.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-06-2014 at 09:23 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #2005
Radii
Head Coach

Not exactly the same, but I do go through phases where I watch players stream solo queue league of legends on twitch.tv more than I watch regular TV every so often. My gaming viewing on youtube is more limited to getting hints/spoilers on how to beat something when i'm stuck in a game.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #2006
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Interestingly enough this is basically my 16 y/o.

He's watching, umm I think it's AlChestBreach at the moment. Between Al, Francis/Boogie, TotalBiscuit, Angry Joe and that crazy ass sports games guy that's basically his "TV".

My 17 y/o listens to JeremyJahns, Nostalgia Critic and Chris Stuckmann - apparently loves movie reviews. He's lucky and spoiled, in the old days we would get a few minutes of Siskel & Ebert.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #2007
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I've done that with a lot of games that I wouldn't actually play (GTA5, BtS, SR4, etc.). I don't watch TV so this is my passive entertainment. All of the walkthroughs I've watched come from one YouTube channel - theRadBrad.

I'm not big on walkthroughs but I really enjoy his as well. I found myself watching them for the Last of Us and it was a great recap for some of the stuff I missed as I was working my way through.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #2008
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if it's a way to digest the good references and cultural touchstones in an entertaining way without having to sit through the entire movie or game and all the tedium around it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #2009
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone play Stronghold Crusader HD?

$3.39 and even though it's a really old game, it got some decent reviews..

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-08-2014 at 02:02 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #2010
bhlloy
Coordinator

Stronghold Crusader is fun, worth it for that price (if it's still there)

Anyone play Sunless Sea yet? Looks like a very interesting concept and doesn't have a ton of negativity on the forums, but it is an early access Beta which I swore not to put any more money into.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 AM   #2011
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I may check out Sunless Sea but at this point I'm not doing any more Early Access games.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #2012
Peregrine
Pro Starter

BTW The Wolf Among Us is on sale for half price on Steam right now - grab it for $12.50.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 AM   #2013
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I'd jump on that if no one else has! Have always wanted to try a Tropico game!
Tropico is awesome. I'm waiting for the Steam Tropico 5 sale.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #2014
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Tropico is awesome. I'm waiting for the Steam Tropico 5 sale.

I agree the Tropico series is good.

It succeeds despite itself as it's not very difficult, repetitive, the traffic system is an abomination, builders don't build worth a damn and there are some goofy elements that don't work. But it has a lot of "flavor" with the whole dictator/Caribbean thing and it's quite fun.

For anyone who hasn't played it, I'd say get #4 and try to find the complete pack. The reviews on 5 are pretty mixed. It's on my wishlist, but only after the inevitable 20 DLC packs are released at it's at a reasonable price point. Most people I've talked to have said 4 is better than 5 right now.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #2015
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Stronghold Crusader is fun, worth it for that price (if it's still there)

Thanks, think I'll pick it up tonight.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #2016
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

It succeeds despite itself as it's not very difficult, repetitive, the traffic system is an abomination, builders don't build worth a damn and there are some goofy elements that don't work. But it has a lot of "flavor" with the whole dictator/Caribbean thing and it's quite fun.

I fully agree with this assessment. As a general rule, the same strategy will always work very well in every scenario. And it is still loads of fun.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #2017
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

For anyone who hasn't played it, I'd say get #4 and try to find the complete pack. The reviews on 5 are pretty mixed. It's on my wishlist, but only after the inevitable 20 DLC packs are released at it's at a reasonable price point. Most people I've talked to have said 4 is better than 5 right now.

Yep. It's one of my favorite series to play just to relax and not think too hard. The ambiance and setting really make the game work.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #2018
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Blackadar - do you plan on getting Endless Legend?

They have really added a bunch of stuff since the Alpha release.

I think it's a FANTASTIC 4x game, even in its Beta stage. For me, it has the right blend of playability and enough to figure out on your own that I have to check the forums for questions I have.

I can't wait until they finish it.. but as it stands now, I'm really enjoying it.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #2019
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Anyone tried Divinity: Original Sin? I'm hearing some really good things about it and I believe it's out of early access now.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #2020
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Anyone tried Divinity: Original Sin? I'm hearing some really good things about it and I believe it's out of early access now.

A few of us are playing, I will bump the thread on it for early feedback
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #2021
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Star Ruler 2 is out for EA. I really enjoyed the first SR and this one is quite different. Some very interesting implementation of diplomacy, growth of your empire and other 4x elements we have come accustom to. Kudos to BMS for taking SR2 in a bit of a different direction.

Good first impressions article: Star Ruler 2 Hits Steam Early Access – Beta First Impressions - SpaceSector.com
Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #2022
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Blackadar - do you plan on getting Endless Legend?

They have really added a bunch of stuff since the Alpha release.

I think it's a FANTASTIC 4x game, even in its Beta stage. For me, it has the right blend of playability and enough to figure out on your own that I have to check the forums for questions I have.

I can't wait until they finish it.. but as it stands now, I'm really enjoying it.

Sorry, I missed this post while on vacation. I've looked at it, but I'd like to know more about it. So tell me more please!

I didn't really like Endless (Soulless) Space, mainly because of the combat and the lack of depth.

Right now I'm addicted to Divinity Original Sin. The combat in that is absolutely fantastic.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #2023
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Not EA, full release. It's fantastic. Awesome. Wonderful.

Any video will show you about the graphics, sound, etc. And at times it's a pixel hunt for the puzzles, which is the main downside. I couldn't have gotten through it without posting for tips on forums and reading walkthroughs. I haven't completed it, but the story so far seems average.

So why is it so good? Because the turn-based combat is just incredible, especially combined with the good character/skill development. To give you an example, I was playing a battle Sunday morning before flying back to DC. I'm hammering this boss mob with everything I got and I'm not doing squat. I'm not dead, but I'm not winning. He stuns, freezes and pretty much is a tank. I'm 15 minutes in and still fighting for my life. But I start to figure out why I'm not able to kill him. I figure out that he's immune to certain spell categories (air, water) and highly resistant to physical damage. Fire seems to work well on him though.

Hmmm...I have only one fire mage and she can't bring this behemoth down by herself. Was that lava I saw over there? And I have a teleport spell...DING DING!!! So let's fight a running battle for a few turns, all the while keeping people healed up. Once I got close enough, I teleported him into the lava and the dude perished in a ball of flame. It was an epic 30 minute battle and one of those gaming moments I'll remember for a long time.

There all of those kind of moments. Having problems with a bunch of fire elementals? How about casting a rain spell and then adding a lightening spell to it? Or creating a poison patch and then lighting that on fire? Or casting an ice wall to keep the archers at bay? It's a blast and one of the best RPGs I've played in years.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #2024
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, I missed this post while on vacation. I've looked at it, but I'd like to know more about it. So tell me more please!

I didn't really like Endless (Soulless) Space, mainly because of the combat and the lack of depth.

Right now I'm addicted to Divinity Original Sin. The combat in that is absolutely fantastic.

Heading out on vacation myself so remind me when I get back Sunday.

Much different and MUCH MUCH better than Endless Space.

Here is a bit about the beta launch: Endless Legend Beta Launched - SpaceSector.com
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #2025
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Heading out on vacation myself so remind me when I get back Sunday.

Much different and MUCH MUCH better than Endless Space.

Here is a bit about the beta launch: Endless Legend Beta Launched - SpaceSector.com

It looks quite interesting, but I think this is going to take some really good reviews for me to pull the trigger. I love me some 4x games, though.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #2026
Dutch
"Dutch"

Got a couple extra copies of Early Access Verdun. I have no idea what state it's in or if it's any good but glad to share the extra copies.

If you are interested, PM me your Steam name.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #2027
Dutch
"Dutch"

Both copies are claimed.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #2028
bhlloy
Coordinator

As I know we've had a number of people who have played and been disappointed with it in the past, PCM14 is a massively improved game with the third patch. Definitely the best gameplay in the series since I got into it a few years back.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #2029
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Just started playing 7 Days to Die with my wife and we are having a blast with it. Very detailed game for being an early access.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #2030
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As I know we've had a number of people who have played and been disappointed with it in the past, PCM14 is a massively improved game with the third patch. Definitely the best gameplay in the series since I got into it a few years back.

Indeed. I've been playing since release day.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 AM   #2031
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Someone let me know how Verdun is...maybe before the sale is over?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #2032
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

The race strategy option interests me. I would prefer to manage the team without needing to micromanage the race itself. How well do the 3d races work when the AI is following your orders?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #2033
Icy
Pro Starter

To add to Ryan's question, how is the AI teams management? Are they competitive building their squads and managing the races load etc? I always found that PCM was good to sim the first season but buggy after it.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #2034
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I'll play this evening and post something.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #2035
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Biggest FE:LH update: going to have to fire it up tonight..

Legendary Heroes 1.7 Now Available
Arguably the biggest patch since Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes’ release more than a year ago, version 1.7 improves CPU-controlled factions’ strategic acumen as well as introducing class-specific items for all five unique hero types, like Commander-only banners that boost the entire army’s capabilities.

Download the patch free simply by signing into your Steam client.

Among other things, patch 1.7 includes:
  • Class-specific items - Commanders lead better than ever with unique banners, mages command the elements with new staves, and more
  • Significant AI improvements - AI rivals now develop their empires more effectively, for example through upgrading their outposts
  • Balancing across the board - Unrest modifiers have been tweaked to make sprawling empires less overwhelmingly powerful, and many unit and item stats have changed
  • Revamped army-strength logic - The method used for calculating army strength has been completely reworked, making evaluating threats easier for human and AI players alike
  • Much more – see full patch notes here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/456046/
Happy conquering!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #2036
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
The race strategy option interests me. I would prefer to manage the team without needing to micromanage the race itself. How well do the 3d races work when the AI is following your orders?

So far seems solid enough, although I haven't ever tried it with a rider I care about all that much. But it's definitely solid enough that you can assign it to 3 or 4 of your domestiques you don't care about in a race and not have to worry about them falling 40 minutes behind or running out of water and killing themselves.

To answer Icy's question I'm not that far in yet , but from reading the (usually critical) posts at pcmdaily, seems that the career signings are much improved from last year as well. For me, it's not a big deal to make a bunch of edits at the start of each season with Lachi's third party editor to fix things like sponsors, weird signings and young riders going to a team halfway across the globe, so the career AI has never bothered me all that much. For me, the main thing is a fun 3D engine and realistic enough results in 3D and sim mode, and those look great so far.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #2037
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

It has potential - much closer to one-shot kills than CoD and its ilk. Not sure one match has me really figuring out what's going on though. I'm not sure how we're going to win, and we hit a mode at one point where we were supposed to fight off the enemy from counter-attacking our trenches, but I died without ever seeing anyone. I have no idea what my teammates were shooting at.

I did get some nice fights while attacking their trench. Animation needs work, saw some t-posing, and guys popping up and down awfully quick. Need to learn all those controls.

I had a bolt-action rifle and 3 grenades, and after a bit was figuring it out. Sprint to get to the action, bring the rifle up and move forward slowly. I crouched a lot to make a smaller target, but other players were using prone a lot more than me.

There are apparently NCOs on your squad, and you want to stay near them, they can set waypoints and call in mortar strikes, but beyond that I don't know much of what they were doing.

The matchmaking was atrocious, all this stuff about "pick a squad" but no clear way to do that. I finally stumbled my way in.

Feels like it's worth more digging to figure out how much is really under there. It is definitely NOT in a state where I'd pay $20 for it, but on sale it's probably worth a flyer to see if they really can make something different out of it.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #2038
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'll agree with that assessment, I played for a few minutes and not much to add, very similar to a Day Of Defeat mod with good graphics, I guess?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #2039
Dutch
"Dutch"

Here's one that's been a pleasant surprise.

ULTIMATE GENERAL: GETTYSBURG

Recreates the entire battle like it was happening on the history channel.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #2040
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If that is on par with the Sid Meier's Gettysburg effort, I'm in.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #2041
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It looks in a lot of ways like an updating of SMG - which I used to play the fuck out of.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #2042
gstelmack
Pro Starter

For $10, I bought.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #2043
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
For $10, I bought.

Me too.

I played the first scenario as the Union and had a great time. The simplicity of the controls are great. The AI at balanced was a little weak and didn't exploit my obvious problems early in the scenario.

As long as you don't want things too in depth, there's a lot to like.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #2044
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Here's one that's been a pleasant surprise.

ULTIMATE GENERAL: GETTYSBURG

Recreates the entire battle like it was happening on the history channel.

AI likes to leave its artillery unprotected, it was real easy for my cavalry and skirmishers to just go around the flank and hit them unopposed in the back, may have to institute a house rule for that. That made the first battle too easy.

Otherwise

Old 08-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #2045
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And it refuses to attack your artillery with cavalry.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #2046
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
And it refuses to attack your artillery with cavalry.

So, just like real horses?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #2047
mckerney
Coordinator

Movies, TV Series, Music, and More may be Coming to Steam | ValveTime.net | Valve News, Forums, Steam

Quote:
The Future

Now we come to today's news.

Still missing are a lot of other features that platforms like the Xbox had that the Steam Universe lacks (natively). Where is Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, HBO Go, or other media streaming services that also make up the backbone of entertainment in the living room? Well, according to the folks at SteamDB, a lot of these services, or ones like them, could be making their way into Steam and the Steam Universe soon.

SteamDB said that Valve updated their Steam binaries in a beta update today, and they found that a few new application-type IDs were added. Films, TV Series, Videos, Plugins, and Music are all coming to Steam. We were kind of given a hint that Valve was moving towards these services in another beta update a few weeks ago. In the update were references to the popular Spotify music player.

So, after almost four years of iterative design (publicly), the big picture of Steam and Valve in your living room is clear. They want to directly compete with the big dogs like Microsoft and Sony, and Valve certainly has the capability to succeed.

The entire Steam Universe platform is still in beta, but because most of the pieces of the puzzle have been filled by Valve, we expect that 2015 is the year they will begin to invade our living rooms. So stay tuned as we bring you more news in the coming weeks.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #2048
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I have played the entire first day of Ultimate General: Gettysburg, and found that the main problem with the initial scenario is that it's only part of the map. Once more units get on there and there is better coverage (so there isn't scads of room to move around the side), the AI plays pretty well. After dominating the initial fight, I was in a bad spot for reinforcements, and ended up having to fall back on Gettysburg itself. The AI did a good job of not getting sucked into fights, covering its flanks, etc.

I think it's just difficult to properly handle that first encounter with so few units.

Really enjoying the game.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #2049
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Gal Civ III 10% off.. I bought it.. lol.. I'm such a sucker for 4x games in alpha/beta.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #2050
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I have played the entire first day of Ultimate General: Gettysburg, and found that the main problem with the initial scenario is that it's only part of the map. Once more units get on there and there is better coverage (so there isn't scads of room to move around the side), the AI plays pretty well. After dominating the initial fight, I was in a bad spot for reinforcements, and ended up having to fall back on Gettysburg itself. The AI did a good job of not getting sucked into fights, covering its flanks, etc.

I think it's just difficult to properly handle that first encounter with so few units.

Really enjoying the game.

Aaaah look - was just gonna complain about no "save" feature but apparently it saved automatically.

Me likey game. Good so far and great promise.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-18-2014 at 09:35 PM.