Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Morientes to 'Pool - Gravensen to Real ?

Morientes is a done deal- 6.3 million quid, which is a decent haul but still fairly cheap for one of Europe's best marksmen. Apparently now Madrid are realizing that there is some value in having players who play defense or can provide some midfield cover- thus the link with Gravensen. Everton can sell him on the cheap now (2 million) or keep him and lose for nothing at the end of the season, but potentially make it to Europe (in which case the 2 mil would be peanuts). Interesting dilemma- in either case, the Liverpool fan in me is quite amused.

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Morientes is a done deal- 6.3 million quid, which is a decent haul but still fairly cheap for one of Europe's best marksmen. Apparently now Madrid are realizing that there is some value in having players who play defense or can provide some midfield cover- thus the link with Gravensen. Everton can sell him on the cheap now (2 million) or keep him and lose for nothing at the end of the season, but potentially make it to Europe (in which case the 2 mil would be peanuts). Interesting dilemma- in either case, the Liverpool fan in me is quite amused.

Thank goodness. The thought of Mellor / Pongalle partnering with Baros for the rest of the year was dismal.

Still 6.3 MM for a guy who can't even play in the champions league this year and really didn't seem to have a future at Real (given Owen is already overpaid as 3rd choice striker and they're looking to bring in another Brazilian) seems like an overpayment. But it's not my money.

W/ the current run of Liverpool's luck though he should play 2-3 matches before he goes down with his season ending surgery.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
andy m
High School Varsity

i wish that gerrard would give up on liverpool and move to a good side, it would further his career and enormous potential.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m
i wish that gerrard would give up on liverpool and move to a good side, it would further his career and enormous potential.

Hey now, those are fighting words.

Unfortunately, what may be best for Gerrard isn't what's best for Liverpool. They wouldn't even be in the top half of the league this year w/out him. If Stevie does decide to leave at the end of this year (and I think it will come down to whether they make the CL or not), I hope 'pool gets alot more for him then the paltry amount they received for Owen. They'll need a lot more $$ to replace Gerrard.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I think this summer is the swansong- Benitez has been impressive, but stars like Gerrard come up once a generation. He has 2 years left on his contract, so there is some leverage this summer. If he goes, he's going to shatter the British transfer record- I figure 30 million pounds.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Well, I think this summer is the swansong- Benitez has been impressive, but stars like Gerrard come up once a generation. He has 2 years left on his contract, so there is some leverage this summer. If he goes, he's going to shatter the British transfer record- I figure 30 million pounds.

Real offered me 75 MM pounds in FM2005 - I still couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
varacel
n00b

Quote:

Chelsea and Real would pay that for him in a heartbeat. If Real come in for him Chelsea will try to keep the price rising.
varacel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For Everton, I think the risk of losing 2 mil with Gravesen walking away at the end of year is greatly outweighed by the chance for Europe. If I was Everton, I would look at my teams position in the table and decide to keep Gravesen until the end of the year.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-12-2005 at 02:37 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If he goes, he's going to shatter the British transfer record- I figure 30 million pounds.

The current record is £30m. Rio Ferdinand Leeds -> Manchester United, Summer 2002.

I would say that unless Liverpool win a trophy and qualify for CL, Gerrard is certainly off to Chelsea or Real. He may leave even if they do the above anyway. The guy clearly wants to win a title, all his interviews show his desire for trophies really strongly.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Everton will not let go of Gravesen...I really hope they don't at least. If we keep him we have a very good chance at a european spot and finishing ahead of the Red shites (we are 6 point ahead of them right now).

My backround on my desktop is a picture of Carlsey's goal with a big Everton 1 Liverpool 0 at the top.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote